• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When shipping has gone too far: Voltron shipper blackmails studio

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
posted this in Legendary Shipping Meltdowns thread but I do agree it deserves its own thread

EDIT: context, shipping is a fandom term for character pairings. Most of the time they're not canon. It's why certain shipping groups celebrate when they become official (say, Naruto x Hinata), and others go angry. It's why you get shipping wars (like in Avatar The Last Airbender days of AangxKatara vs ZukoxKatara) but lately the fans of various shows have been taking things a bit too seriously.

BHOZhku.png

Some news outlets have reported this and there's even a reddit thread about it.

The gist is that leaked materials were spread all over the net, and one shipper in particular got a hold of most of them. Studio Mir is asking the shipper KLancer to take them down but the shipper refuses unless the ship is made canon.

PSqueak

Banned
This has been blowing up on tumblr, nice try Voltron fandom, but you can't quite yet top Steven Universe as the worst fandom.

IIRC that account was fake/a troll and was created only hours before that tweet was made just to cause a stir.

Evidently, it worked.

Boss Doggie

The shipper is shipping a ship?
I read the op three times and it still doesn't make sense.

Ah forgot context - shipping is a fandom term for putting two characters as a pair, usually non-canon until the story progresses

I'm lost. So some info got out and they are asking them to take it down?

Yeah, images (most likely new characters, storyboards and keyframes) were leaked, certain people got a hold of it and posted them, studio tells them to take it down, user tries to use it as blackmail to make his pairing canon

RedHill

Banned
What's the point of them doing that if it's already out there? They should make whatever ship that is clearly not canon

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Can someone translate this into the common tongue for me? I can't make heads or tails out of this.

Renkax

So... dude has secret paper work that won't delete until his Couple fan fiction comes to reality on the show ?

Guy/gal sounds like a fucking toddler. You threaten a bunch of animators livelihood because you want to see your preferred fantasy relationship on screen?

Get a life.

Can someone translate this into the common tongue for me? I can't make heads or tails out of this.

Person has storyboard and leaked information from an upcoming season of a TV show that somebody stole while taking a studio tour.

The Studio is facing legal troubles because of it, but the person who is running the blog/tumblr hosting the images wont' take them down unless the creators write in a gay relationship between 2 characters or something.

I think I got it?

Boss Doggie

Person has storyboard and leaked information from an upcoming season of a TV show that somebody stole while taking a studio tour.

The Studio is facing legal troubles because of it, but the person who is running the blog/tumblr hosting the images wont' take them down unless the creators write in a gay relationship between 2 characters or something.

I think I got it?

Yup. The person won't take them down unless his desired pairing is considered official.

Worth noting that Studio Mir has absolutely no say in the writing of the show.

Also if it was glossed over above, the specific reply tweet was from someone who isn't the original source of the leak, and probably talking about a reblog on their own tumblr.

I wouldn't worry too much about Studio Mir to the point Voltron will be cancelled, but I expect they'd have to make some form of agreement and stop studio tours or something.

That's really fucking shitty of someone to use a studio tour opportunity to blackmail them in the name of fanfiction, but why can't Dreamworks give the blogs a DMCA takedown notice themselves?

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I worked at a studio where one of my duties was answering fans that called the studio.

A few did demand we do certain ships

Boss Doggie

Further reading here, but the gist of it is that a small but extremely stalker-ish tumblr den of people who believe the two lead actors are secretly romantically attached to each other.
I feel this is scarier because they're linking real actors to the roles they play.

So where do the serious legal issues with Dreamworks come in? Is this separate or because of it?

Mir is already in hot water it seems, maybe DW will be forced to butt in.

So are shipping zealots more of a western thing than a eastern/Manga/Anime thing?

Also the only shipping I would partake is Princess Mononoke because that ending is trash.

Bold One

Shipping fandoms are THE WORST thing to ever happen to mainstream popular media.

Fucking pathetic on every level imaginable and has gone far enough to put me off a lot of shows.

Mask

Ew, shippers like that are gross. Even if it's a troll, hope they like having that studio's lawyers pop in on em and show them that blackmailing over stupid shit like this is ultimately fruitless.

Top Bottom