• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When someone calls you "boss" or "chief"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
CrankyJay said:
...do you see this as a compliment or an insult?

I personally think it's condescending when someone in a customer service position calls you that.

I fully expect each response to end in "boss", "chief", "champ", "tiger" etc. :lol

Jesus fucking Christ mate. Being insulted over being called boss?

Do you cry if someone calls you a name?

CrankyJay

Banned
MarkMclovin said:
Jesus fucking Christ mate. Being insulted over being called boss?

Do you cry if someone calls you a name?

Have you ever worked in a customer service position before, boss? Just curious, chief.

Dead Man

CrankyJay said:
Have you ever worked in a customer service position before, boss? Just curious, chief.
This is where the importance of tone comes in... for you to be offended by them all the time is a bit weird.

Double D

Does this still apply if I'm actually the boss of people here at work?

If so, I'd just like to say that yes, it does kind of bother me even when used appropriately.

Edit: ^^^Your boss calls you 'lover'?

methane47

I usually dont mind... but when I'm talking to people who call me Boss.. I start calling them back boss..

Convos go like this

A>Hey boss wassup
B>Boss!! i'm ok
A>Cool ... So boss wah you up too
B> .......... >_>

Double D

CrankyJay said:
I fully expect each response to end in "boss", "chief", "champ", "tiger" etc. :lol

boss_hogg.jpg
tyrol.jpg
p1_champ_bailey.jpg
tiger-woods3.jpg

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
"Sportsfan" always annoyed me because lots of adults called me that when I was a kid. I didn't even like sports that much.

OnPoint said:
"bro" can also be condescending

Yep.

Depends on the tone, but given the context I get annoyed when someone calls me "man", "pal", "boss", etc. Sometimes it can seem like the person is talking down but trying to make the target feel better by attaching the little suffix.

dojokun

Banned
So I made a mistake by not realizing that Shutter Island wasn't released everywhere at once (stupid America-centric lack of thought), and therefore didn't realize people still hadn't seen it but intended to. Then I spoiler tagged it, and apparently people read the spoiler and got mad that there was a spoiler in the spoiler tags. So now it's removed completely, and it's left with just a reference that only people who have seen it would understand.

Sorry everyone for the second time... this time for not realizing that people wouldn't know that spoiler tags are for spoilers.

dojokun said:
So I made a mistake by not realizing that Shutter Island wasn't released everywhere at once (stupid America-centric lack of thought), and therefore didn't realize people still hadn't seen it but intended to. Then I spoiler tagged it, and apparently people read the spoiler and got mad that there was a spoiler in the spoiler tags. So now it's removed completely, and it's left with just a reference that only people who have seen it would understand.

Sorry everyone for the second time... this time for not realizing that people wouldn't know that spoiler tags are for spoilers.

WTF?

Also, it doesn't matter what region the film had been released in, there are people in North America who may have not seen it yet or were waiting for DVD.

dojokun

Banned
DoctorWho said:
WTF?

Also, it doesn't matter what region the film had been released in, there are people in North America who may have not seen it yet or were waiting for DVD.
Well like I said, I spoiler-tagged it after realizing my mistake. And now people are still mad because they read the spoiler tagged part and got mad that it had a spoiler in it...

Sorry, boss.

MjFrancis

"Boss" can be quite pejorative depending on the recipient and the person being addressed. I notice it's used by blue collar folk towards people they aren't particularly fond of. It usually goes over the recipient's head, unless they're just hiding their frustration - sometimes they get the hint.

Amakusa

Had a close friend back in middle school, his step dad would call all his friends... Jones

Wassup Jones

...I hated it so much.

paparazzo

Holy cow I hope most of you aren't serious. I mean I guess I can see how "man" or "bro" could be annoying (I use both) but when did they become insults/condescending?

Why so serious GAF? :lol

Dead Man

dojokun said:

All good. I think on GAF especially, spoiler tags are used to hide punchlines. So most people automatically highlight them unless the thread is specifically about a movie or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom