• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will you buy a Nintendo switch?

Jigolo

After being a bit turned off of it with the Presentation, I thought I'd almost entirely written the Switch off. I was okay with the price but the hardware and game demos shown off put me off. After a few days of thinking about it (pretty much when I started to watch the hands on stuff) I realized that the main intention of the presentation was to show off how what makes the Switch hardware a unique experience from other machines out there, not necessarily show exclusive after exclusive megaton. Which is why they showed off ARMS 1,2 Switch and the like. That's when I started to take the wait and see approach.

I use my Wii U everyday to play Smash 4 and upon booting it up that's when it hit me. As much as I love this little 8GB console, it's been an absolute hassle to keep up with it. The UI is atrocious, locking settings to the hardly Gamepad is a joke. The Gamepad itself is ugly and not fun to use. Buying a y-cable and a portable external HDD just to be able to play some games (although worth it) is just something I don't even want to deal with anymore. And to top it all off just knowing at the back of my mind that I have that fucking useless sensor bar in some drawer in my room annoys me a tine bine bit. I've noticed after watching a few Switch impressions videos and getting to see the console in action, it's looking like a purchase this Fall is likely for me.

Reasons being portability, less space (I've seen the comparison photos and I'm surprised how small the device in the dock actually is), and better ergonomics. Judging just by the screenshot of the interface it already looks much better than the Wii U interface. By Fall, E3 would've passed so a better idea of what to expect for games. And also by then we'll get all the information for the online service and whether or not it's worth what they will charge for it.

The only thing I really dislike about this right now is the price of the accessories. Hopefully the Pro Controller will be ~$50 on Black Friday or something

BDGAME

meta-chart.md.jpg

https://www.meta-chart.com/share/results-65

A little late, but that is the results of this thread.

1 - Buy at launch. TOTAL: 524
- will buy it day one
- will buy in the first 3 months

2 - After more announced games release. TOTAL: 248
- Will waiting games, like Mario, Splatoon or Xenoblade 2, release.
- Will waiting until holidays to buy
- will waiting for new year

3 - After price(s) cut. TOTAL: 120
- People that only comment about price and nothing more.

2/3 - More games with a price cut. TOTAL: 65
- 2 or 3
- 2 and 3

4 - Wait announce more games. TOTAL: 138
- Waiting not announced games, like Monster Hunter, be announced
- Waiting more third party games be announced
- waiting until late in life cycle to see if are games they want

3/4 - More announcements with price cut. TOTAL: 99
- 2 and/or 3 and/or 4
- 2 and/or 4
- 3 and/or 4

5 - will never buy one. TOTAL: 79

6 - When Bundle are available. TOTAL: 19

7 - After first Hardware revision. TOTAL: 16

8 - when I have money to buy. TOTAL: 16

unbiasedgamer

Neo Member
Pre-ordered grey with pro controller, zelda, and 1-2 switch. Last night I got a used Samsung 256g micro SD from eBay for $60 shipped. So I'm ready to go.

If the most Switch-negative community I've seen online shows that small amount of never buy consumers, I think this will be a very successful machine.

TankRizzo

Banned
Neon at launch.

Bought the following:

Zelda master edition
Pro controller
Charging grip
Tablet screen protector and case

I'm good :)

MisterP

Banned
I'll buy it when there are close to about ten titles worth the cost of the system. I've only just bought a WiiU with half a dozen or so games so I'm guessing in about four years time.

Sigh :(

I'll get it once at least 10 games are out I really want - maybe sooner if there's a game or two I don't wanna wait for. Doubt it'll be earlier than holiday 2018

&Neon looks great.

wowzors

I'm picking up a neon at launch but i am a little nervous that there will be a high powered variant offered a little down the line.

Peltz

Nintendo+switch+hype_f926ad_6166899.jpg

At launch baby!

I have the Neon model preordered but also pre-ordered set of Grey Joycons because I couldn't decide which looked cooler.

Maybe holiday 2017, probably sometime in 2018. I have neon on pre order but gonna cancel, zelda not that interesting to me and the price/game ratio is way off for me right now. I have a wii u so its really only mario odyssey that is interesting to me, zero interest in 1,2 or Arms or splatoon 2.

2 - Probably this Holiday, but maybe even next year. Cancelled my Amazon pre-order yesterday. $360+ is just too much for a system I'd only play Zelda on. I'll get it eventually when a game is bundled assuming the new Mario reviews well.

Top Bottom