• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the Arcade Racers?

Arcade racers don't offer enough substance. People these days are spoiled by sim-ish racers with hundreds of cars, photo realistic graphics and extensive customization.

shockdude

Yeah, i played LA only a bit though, it wasn't gelling with me,but what i played seemed decent, i just wasn't all that into it at the time, its been years though.

And is that really true? That Rockstar didn't properly port them to PC?
Tbf the main reason I enjoyed MC:LA so much was because the motorcycles were way too fun. Wasn't a fan of the rest of the cars.
And yeah MC2 is the only MC with a proper PC port.
Arcade racers don't offer enough substance. People these days are spoiled by sim-ish racers with hundreds of cars, photo realistic graphics and extensive customization.
You can have all those features in a straight-up arcade racer, too. Just up the color saturation a little and bam, arcade.
There's plenty of substance to be had in arcade handling. Their main draw is the ability to take corners at 180MPH without immediately spinning out, coupled with creative track design intended for drifting corners at 180MPH. Few, if any, racers allow for that these days.

v0yce

All they have to do is add some numbers and bars that fill up and bam! Instant substance.

shockdude

All they have to do is add some numbers and bars that fill up and bam! Instant substance.
Oh wow, how did I forget this. Boost/NOS meter management is a huge contributor to many great arcade racers, from Burnout to F-Zero.
Man I'd really like to see the return of Burnout 1 & 2's "All or Nothing" boost. No boost until the meter is max; stop boosting and you have to refill the meter. Drive dangerously enough and you instantly refill your boost after draining it. Keep driving dangerously to chain multiple boost refills for theoretically infinite boost. Burnout 8x whooo

duckroll

Arcade is a dirty word in gaming these days if you want to sell a 60 dollar product. Publishers and developers avoid the concept like toxic waste because it creates the perception of short play sessions, pick up and play mechanics, and local multiplayer focus over online. All of these are good things, but when you sell a retail title te perception is that it needs to be very deep and have tons of content. So sports and racers became more and more sim focused, while fighters became esports platforms, and beatemups got bloated with cutscenes and QTEs to pad out longer storylines.

Lakitu

st5fu
Man, I have such fond memories of playing Burnout 3... stuff like Ridge Racer Type 4, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and PGR 2. Good times. Shame there's nothing like that nowadays (at least on PS4).

Samaritan

I'm at the point where I'd consider giving up a leg for a new, proper Motorstorm game. Loved those games so damn much and their absence this generation is felt.

Skyzard

Banned
If you want a wipeout like game for the speed, check out redout, it's fantastic and looks great too. Very good speed and flow.

Coxy100

Banned
I hear you OP. I loved Blur - such a shame we won't get a sequel.

My friends still get together once a week to play it together.

Mdk7

At least two out of five of the games in your list flopped hard (regardless of their quality).

And Motorstorm is basically dead to not-so-stellar sales.

I guess that's a good answer regarding why the genre is under-represented this gen.

And yet I still miss the genre so much.
Also, FUCK YOU DISNEY ONCE MORE FOR SHUTTING DOWN BLACK ROCK STUDIO!

swarley64

It really warms my heart to see all these Horizon Chase shout-outs. If you want to play an arcade racer in 2016, that's the game to get!

Castef

Banned

What I'd like to point out is that the reason why there are not a lot of arcade racers left is... us. The players.

Because it was us that did not buy the new Out Run, Split/Second, Blur and so on.

Not a publisher's fault this time.

JaseMath

There's no reason arcade racers can't include all of those things. Need for Speed: Rival, for instance. Problem with that game is that it's super repetitive and the racing landscape is pretty boring.

Chaser324

Banned
Because it was us that did not buy the new Out Run, Split/Second, Blur and so on.

To be honest, in the case of Blur and Split/Second, I do at least partially blame the publishers for releasing those games one week apart.

newsguy

This thread makes me sad. I miss the real Burnout series so much. No Paradise bs, straight racing where you destroy cars and watch the greatest vehicle deformation system in slow motion. Blistering fast, awesome sense of speed, and tension till the finish line.

To be honest, in the case of Blur and Split/Second, I do at least partially blame the publishers for releasing those games one week apart.
Came here to say exactly this. I've always felt that that broke the back of arcade racers, which is a shame because they were both excellent games. If they were separated by a couple of months or more, they would have built on one another instead of cannibalizing each other's sales. The arcade racer market just wasn't big enough to absorb two games releasing at essentially the same time.

I never understood why they did that, they even had the same fucking "under the car" hud on the outside view of the car. Made them be compared even further.

KAOS

Get yourself Forza Horizon 3 and set up some races as tributes to arcade racing games like I did! Ridge Racer, Rave Racer and Sega Rally like courses with X tier hyper/super race cars = heaven!

Maogp

Forza Horizon and Driveclub are more hybrid titles than pure arcade, but they're really, really good.

They make me miss PGR4 a little less.

But I would really like some re-releases on digital platforms of games like Outrun 2, Wipeout HD (where is the 4k version Sony? Are you dumb?), Sega Rally, and so on.

Publishers don't want money.

Wipeout HD. I can't believe that isn't in our digital stores. The Ps3 version is an 1080/60, should be so easy to port. Still AMAZING.

Another vote for the Forza Horizon series. They aren't nearly as arcadey as say Burnout Paradise, but they are really great and you can effectively ignore 100% of the sim aspects without losing out on any part of the core experience. The series is basically a spiritual successor to the Project Gotham Racing series, games with a similar arcade + sim hybrid.

Forza Horizon 3 just came out and it's been getting really amazing reviews. Opinions on 2 are mixed, but recently I've put like 12 hours into 2 and I love it. Again, it's no Burnout, but I would say if you are into driving games FH2/3 are probably system seller tier games.

Arcade is a dirty word in gaming these days if you want to sell a 60 dollar product. Publishers and developers avoid the concept like toxic waste because it creates the perception of short play sessions, pick up and play mechanics, and local multiplayer focus over online. All of these are good things, but when you sell a retail title te perception is that it needs to be very deep and have tons of content. So sports and racers became more and more sim focused, while fighters became esports platforms, and beatemups got bloated with cutscenes and QTEs to pad out longer storylines.

Quoted for truth! Unfortunately...
It's a shame everything has to be either a $60 AAA title or a <$20 indie these days.

Captain Toad, Recore and Sly 4 comes to mind as bucking the trend, but they're usually few and far between.

BNGames

Fast Racing Neo my friend

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moxv0v3df5U

KNIxKiPl.jpg

What I'd like to point out is that the reason why there are not a lot of arcade racers left is... us. The players.

No doubt that consumers are in part to blame. But i'd argue that the big arcade push last gen was built around weapons and/or crashing. While there's certainly a section of racing fans that want that, it's not really what many arcade fans are wanting. I enjoy games like Split/Second and Burnout, but I greatly prefer Outrun, Ridge Racer, Sega Rally, Hang-On etc. Games where the focus is on fast racing and not necessarily blowing up or shooting other cars. We really haven't had a push toward those arcade-style racers in a long time.

I understand that time limit racers would be a very tough, if not impossible, sale in terms of retail releases, but why couldn't they work as digital titles? I know you mentioned people not buying Outrun Arcade, but do we know if that's the case? Sega actually mentioned that VF5:FS achieved sales expectations in Japan after only a week. Yet we still haven't seen a new entry in that series.

Earlier this year a NAMCO producer did a poll a Twitter asking which Ridge Racer people would like to see remade, and RRT4 of course won. I think that's the game the arcade genre needs right now. It disproves a lot of the myths that revolve around it, like how it's a genre without depth or content. While I prefer Rage and RRV in terms of overall gameplay, RRT4 is the complete package. A ground up remake with online play would be a great way to try to get the genre back on track. I'd love to see RRT4's visual style in HD.

GuyKazama

A remaster of Burnout 3 for $30 could inject life into the genre. No Burnout Revenge though -- traffic checking killed the franchise for me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
It's time Sega finally released Daytona USA 2

Yeah and Scud Racer.

While I wholeheartedly agree it would be KILLER to have these two done right on consoles/steam with online play, spectator mode, etc, in the meantime there is always the emulated versions, which run beautifully! I've been playing both games almost daily for the past couple months. Don't sleep on SuperModel people.

My focus these days is just enjoying the old Sega/Namco/anything else arcade racers that are emulated, and not worrying about what's not coming out and what's in development. Since getting a good steering wheel, pedal set and gaming PC, Ridge Racer 2 PSP, F-ZeroGX, Daytona USA, Daytona 2, Scud Race, Sega Rally 2, and GRID 2 have been keeping me SUPER busy!! I barely even have time to browse GAF or anything else on the net these days.

The arcade racers available through emulation and in Steam are plentiful enough to keep me busy for a lifetime, because they are easy to get into but very difficult to master(Daytona 2 I'm looking at you). Besides....once Forza Horizon 3 gets it act together with proper wheel support and better performance optimization, I'm sure that will be THE go-to arcade racer of the generation.

So get yourself a good wheel and PC, and just enjoy what's out there guys. There's a wide selection to choose from :)

OCD Guy

I'm really disappointed with the racers this gen, and I've tried many of them.

The best one has been Mario Kart 8 for me personally.

I would love something like Motorstorm, I'm hoping codemasters and evolution release something along those lines.

If Sony decided to put out a remastered Motorstorm trilogy I'd buy it day one. It's not going to happen though as the games didn't sell well.

While the likes of Driveclub and Forza Horizon are good games in their own right, they're a long way off what I'm looking for in an arcade racer.

I agree to a certain extent, but I see no reason why we can't have a game like Motorstorm with realistic graphics and some customisation options. I personally thought Motorstorm looked great. I was really impressed on launch day with my ps3 and motorstorm and seeing the mud deformation etc.

What I'm tired of is racing real cars, at the point real cars are used you know it's never going to be full on arcade. I want something silly. Playing driveclub with the Wombat was just heartbreaking thinking what could have been....

Just imagine a PS4 motorstorm with the level of graphical quality as driveclub with mud defomration, weather effects, off-road terrain etc.

DonMigs85

I'm really disappointed with the racers this gen, and I've tried many of them.

The best one has been Mario Kart 8 for me personally.

I would love something like Motorstorm, I'm hoping codemasters and evolution release something along those lines.

If Sony decided to put out a remastered Motorstorm trilogy I'd buy it day one. It's not going to happen though as the games didn't sell well.

While the likes of Driveclub and Forza Horizon are good games in their own right, they're a long way off what I'm looking for in an arcade racer.

I agree to a certain extent, but I see no reason why we can't have a game like Motorstorm with realistic graphics and some customisation options. I personally thought Motorstorm looked great. I was really impressed on launch day with my ps3 and motorstorm and seeing the mud deformation etc.

What I'm tired of is racing real cars, at the point real cars are used you know it's never going to be full on arcade. I want something silly. Playing driveclub with the Wombat was just heartbreaking thinking what could have been....

Just imagine a PS4 motorstorm with the level of graphical quality as driveclub with mud defomration, weather effects, off-road terrain etc.

Ain't they dead?

AmyS

Earlier this year a NAMCO producer did a poll a Twitter asking which Ridge Racer people would like to see remade, and RRT4 of course won. I think that's the game the arcade genre needs right now. It disproves a lot of the myths that revolve around it, like how it's a genre without depth or content. While I prefer Rage and RRV in terms of overall gameplay, RRT4 is the complete package. A ground up remake with online play would be a great way to try to get the genre back on track. I'd love to see RRT4's visual style in HD.

This, true. I agree with what you're saying about prefering Rage Racer and RRV gameplay. That said, it'll be awesome to have a current gen remake of RRT4.

Here is the related thread.

Zemm

I'm watching Maximilian's stream and he's playing Split/Second. Can we please for the love of God get a sequel to this game, I'd even take a remaster because I think it would do a lot better if released now with little to no competition. Genuinely one of the best arcade racers around.

BashNasty

Man, I would kill (or at the very least, maim) for Burnout Paradise 2.

On that note, I would also commit a deplorable act of violence for a direct sequel to SSX 3.

PantsuJo

Sad Bump here, anyway...

If you play on PC you have GRIP, BallisticNG, Formula Fusion, RedOut, Trackmania (all games) and many other that I don't remember now.
Oh, Drift Stage is coming too but I don't remember the date.

On Ps4 very few choices for you. Trackmania and Flatout?

On Xbox ONE there is Forza Horizon, great game, and not so much else.

WiiU and Switch are better thanks to Fast Neo /RMX and kart games.

Before anyone saying that: yes, DriveClub is an arcade Racer but is the really bad and I wouldn't suggest that to anyone.

Top Bottom