• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where the eff are my PS3 Custom Soundtracks?!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
luka said:

of the "WRONG" award. Playing a multiplayer game without custom music just doesn't do it for me. I usually stick to the regular soundtrack in SP, but in MP, custom soundtracks are much appreciated.

corpserot

davepoobond said:
part of the game you buy is the soundtrack. custom soundtracks are dumb except for games where they only have licensed music.
If you don't wanna use it, don't use it. The feature should still be available... custom soundtracks are the ONLY reason I buy multiplats for the 360. I use custom soundtracks in almost all of my single player games, especially if it's a second play through.

Even the way custom soundtracks are implemented in games like Killzone 2 is stupid, only being able to use it in multiplayer.

i only use it in SF4. CAPCOM seems to be the only dev usin more of the higher lvl OS features. its inconsistent between their teams though

also CamHostage what is the PS3 OS mem footprint at now? from wha i undertstand it gets smaller with FW updates due to optimization while they are still savng some memory for other features.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
alr1ghtstart said:
of the "WRONG" award. Playing a multiplayer game without custom music just doesn't do it for me. I usually stick to the regular soundtrack in SP, but in MP, custom soundtracks are much appreciated.

Well sorry. I assumed that went without saying. :|

It's better left to the developers to decide.

If they don't want you listening to your own music, then so be it. Nowadays, music plays a bigger role in a lot of games.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Custom soundtracks are a must. I want Sigur Ròs and Glenn Danzig's Black Aria in my Prince of Persia, dammit. And mebbeh Nox Arcana and Midnight Syndicate for Silent Hill: Homecoming?

see5harp

Sony is too far down their system of separate apps to fix things at this point. Just be happy with the amazing exclusives and hope that next time they think a bit more when designing the dashboard functionality. No matter what Sony does at this point is too little too late, so get over it.

corpserot

Shining Sunshine said:

If they don't want you listening to your own music, then so be it. Nowadays, music plays a bigger role in a lot of games.
You should always have the option, I don't see how anyone can really intelligently argue that not having the option is a good thing in any game. Sure would have been awesome to have custom soundtracks in inFamous.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I've never cared for this feature anyway. Why aren't you guys complaining that you want custom soundtracks in movies -- it amounts to the same thing, nearly... :lol

You don't play a lot of fighters, multi-player games, or anything using EA Trax do you? Custom soundtracks make all these types of games (and others sometimes) a better experience. If my friends and I had to listen to Red Faction's default music while playing Wrecking Crew, we wouldn't be able to play it for hours like we do now.

Most single player games though, I can see your point.

corpserot said:
You should always have the option, I don't see how anyone can really intelligently argue that not having the option is a good thing in any game. Sure would have been awesome to have custom soundtracks in inFamous.
Because if the music is designed into the game, then it is a bad thing to have it as an option.

In games like Uncharted and FEAR, music plays a role to indicate that there are enemies left to fight. If you have Linkin Park blasting away and you think you killed all of the enemies, but the game music is actually still rolling telling you that more are going to come out. If you decide to screw around and get shot in the back by newly spawned enemy, you'll probably be blaming the game for giving you no indication when it was really your fault.

So, the devs are just going to lock your stupidity away and make it happen like they designed it to be.

CamHostage

Andronicus said:
also CamHostage what is the PS3 OS mem footprint at now? from wha i undertstand it gets smaller with FW updates due to optimization while they are still savng some memory for other features.

I don't know what the footprint is now. At launch, it was something like 96MB, with 64 on the "main" RAM and another 32MB eaten out of the "graphics" RAM, if you want to think of it that way. (It gets complicated as to what RAM does what, but nobody cares.) Sony has chopped that down quite a bit and developers have had more RAM access than first-generation games, but they're still not down to 32MB as far as I know. It actually affects developers since they have less overall RAM to work with in doing cross-platform games, it's one of reasons (but not at all the only reason) why textures look less sharp and detailed in those earlier PS3 games.

see5harp

corpserot said:

HE/SHE doesn't get it.

LosDaddie

Banned
corpserot said:
You should always have the option, I don't see how anyone can really intelligently argue that not having the option is a good thing in any game. .

I know I sure haven't read an intelligent argument to omit this feature. It's an option, which means you can choose not to use it.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
Seriously, game creative directors/Sound designers have meltdowns when programmers suggest supporting custom soundtracks (or skipable cutscenes for that matter) :lol They're all trying to be the next hideo kojima and make movies or something... ;)

The tech is there for the feature, but it gets shot down so hard and fast by a lot of the creative management at some places you'd need a large scale outcry from gamers.

I feel the only type of game this feature can get any traction on is racing games and multiplayer FPS.

Just turn down the in-game music if the game allows it and fire up your iPod of something in the meantime.

Jommy

Banned
I definitely understand the desire that some people have for custom soundtracks. But personally, I really don't care for this feature; a game's music is an intrinsic part of any good game. If the developer is a good one and the product it has produced is of equally high quality, they've undoubtedly put a lot of time into the decision of what kind of music goes into the game. I've never and never will disrupt the game by introducing my own music. To me that's like introducing choose-your-own-adventure into Shakespeare.

WinFonda

I really liked it in KZ2 multiplayer. All big multiplayer games should try and support it.

That means you, Uncharted 2. If enough people pester Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra on twitter maybe we can get something rolling!

Also, you can add Sacred 2 to the confirmed list of games that support custom soundtracks.

LosDaddie

Banned
RainbowByte said:
I feel the only type of game this feature can get any traction on is racing games and multiplayer FPS.

Sports games too.

I use custom soundtracks all the time for Madden and NBA 2k

Shining Sunshine said:
Because if the music is designed into the game, then it is a bad thing to have it as an option.

In games like Uncharted and FEAR, music plays a role to indicate that there are enemies left to fight. If you have Linkin Park blasting away and you think you killed all of the enemies, but the game music is actually still rolling telling you that more are going to come out. If you decide to screw around and get shot in the back by newly spawned enemy, you'll probably be blaming the game for giving you no indication when it was really your fault.

So, the devs are just going to lock your stupidity away and make it happen like they designed it to be.

It should still be an OPTION though. Granted, I would never use it in that type of game but some people might like that and I wouldn't necessarily classify those people as "stupid".

RainbowByte said:
Just turn down the in-game music if the game allows it and fire up your iPod of something in the meantime.

What if you don't have a stereo in the same room though (or a stereo at all like me)? It's just a convenience thing.

Jommy said:
I definitely understand the desire that some people have for custom soundtracks. But personally, I really don't care for this feature; a game's music is an intrinsic part of any good game. If the developer is a good one and the product it has produced is of equally high quality, they've undoubtedly put a lot of time into the decision of what kind of music goes into the game. I've never and never will disrupt the game by introducing my own music. To me that's like introducing choose-your-own-adventure into Shakespeare.

If that were the case, I could see where you're coming from.....but most of the time it's not the case. Again though, you seem to be talking more about single player story driven games which would benefit from this the least (if at all).

see5harp

and by the way choose your own adventure shakespeare sounds fucking awesome. because there's no way I'd kill myself over some dead bitch. if i'm the young alpha male of my clan, I'm moving on.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Gentlemen, your solution:

M2_Angle-8a2e59ee4cf26ea3875a3624f58f4588.jpg

....I mean seriously, I don't understand all the complaints. I have been mixing music from my Mp3 player and game sound effects using this device for over 10 years now. I've been doing "custom soundtracks" via this method way before it was even featured in Xbox 1.

There is no reason why any of you should not consider this option. Way more flexibility in terms of volume control and mix integration, not to mention being able to rewind, skip and do whatever the fuck you want via your own music player, as opposed to shitty "music players" offered on 360/PS3.

Highly recommended gentlemen.....highly recommended.

Thanks OP you just ruined my night, I forgot all about this for all this time and you had to go reopen the wounds.

Isamu you just blew my mind.... I hate switching my Surround to USB mode for my Ipod because I loose SFX. A crossfader would solve this. Night redeemed!

DeBurgo

Actually before that I'd rather have ipod device support

Seriously plug in an ipod into a ps3 sometime. Shit's so fucked up.

Doytch said:
And that's bad...how exactly?

Not bad, per se, just that it's a bit of a misnomer. To me a custom soundtrack if something where you can play the tracks in-game and it changes per stage.screen instead of just playing as it is. Like most racing games, THPS and DOAX/X2 handle it.

DeBurgo said:

don't listen to this man: I had to hard reboot my ipod first (last) time I tried charging it on the PS3.

this again?

Honestly outside of racing games, who's actually using this? and why? it's like moaning you can't replace the soundtrack of feature film with your own dirge - detrimental to what the artists who made the work intended you to experience.

can honestly say the only game that i think has benefited from this feature is burnout.

onken

Yeah on repetitive/non-story driven/multiplayer games it really should be mandatory. It's simply not acceptable that games like Bomberman and GT5P is unacceptable.

Doytch

hikarutilmitt said:
Not bad, per se, just that it's a bit of a misnomer. To me a custom soundtrack if something where you can play the tracks in-game and it changes per stage.screen instead of just playing as it is. Like most racing games, THPS and DOAX/X2 handle it.
I'd hate this. When I listen to my music, I put an album on and listen to it start to finish. I don't want someone interrupting that, or switching to a different track. Or how Wipeout HD stops the music when it's loading, that's annoying to me.

And all the "That's like overdubbing a movie, LAWLS" people are really quite a laugh. I'll say again, racing games, sports, puzzle, open world games all benefit easily. Multiplayer games also benefit if you're not playing it "for srs" and just having fun.

NinjaFusion said:
this again?

Honestly outside of racing games, who's actually using this? and why? it's like moaning you can't replace the soundtrack of feature film with your own dirge - detrimental to what the artists who made the work intended you to experience.

can honestly say the only game that i think has benefited from this feature is burnout.

Detrimental or not, at least having the option is nice. I know many people who use custom soundtracks for all sorts of games. Especially true for multi-player combat games, and not just the racers you mentioned.

I love how MGS 4 at least gave you "partial" custom soundtracks. Just for Konami music you collect in-game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
AltogetherAndrews said:
bowdown.gif
Wipeout HD custom soundtracks
Truth, every game should do it like that. I love the effect when you fly in the sky the music gets faint

EYEL1NER

What Firmware was it, 2.0, where they added it?
I don't remember, but as soon as that came out and I found out it was up to the devs to patch the current games, I realized it was not going to be implemented well and I should just forget about custom soundtracks on PS3.
I had fun listening to custom soundtracks on my 360 until I deleted all my music on my 20 gig HDD to make room for more RB songs. Which sucked, because I spent weeks in tech school ripping cds and entering song, artist, and album information for everything.

isamu said:
Gentlemen, your solution:

M2_Angle-8a2e59ee4cf26ea3875a3624f58f4588.jpg

....I mean seriously, I don't understand all the complaints. I have been mixing music from my Mp3 player and game sound effects using this device for over 10 years now. I've been doing "custom soundtracks" via this method way before it was even featured in Xbox 1.

There is no reason why any of you should not consider this option. Way more flexibility in terms of volume control and mix integration, not to mention being able to rewind, skip and do whatever the fuck you want via your own music player, as opposed to shitty "music players" offered on 360/PS3.

Highly recommended gentlemen.....highly recommended.

Um, lol, I have this:

ppd01.jpg

And I have never considered using it in this fashion... hehe.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
DeBurgo said:

That would be apple's fault. The locked out the 360 and PS3 a while ago. They used to work.

Alts

AltogetherAndrews said:
bowdown.gif
Wipeout HD custom soundtracks

WipeoutHD is the only game I've ever bother to try custom soundtracks, and I think it implements it in the most ideal way.

Shining Sunshine said:

So turning off the music is also verboten?

vodka-bull said:
:lol :lol :lol
It's actually true, MS has a software patent on it (where the OS automatically does the work on swapping out the music, that is why Sony had to implement it differently, on a game by game cases):
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/6981918

Along with many other patents which partially explain why other consoles don't have them (I saw somewhere MS had a patent on a jack you could plug your headset into the controller. Saw another software patent for when a notification appears, the controller light will blink).
CamHostage said:
Microsoft places most of its app functionality on a higher level of the operating system, so everything is always running inside that 32MB OS and is always accessible from the Blade. Sony, for whatever reason (and this I'll never understand since XMB is much more bloated in RAM hogging and is much simpler in graphics) deals with OS functions as separate applications that do not multitask, so XMB has to quit and restart all the time as you go in and out of functions. The music player stop when you move into a function that doesn't support it or that boots as its own application, and so that includes the web browser and the store. Sony's original mock-ups for PS3's OS showed them browsing the web for game help while video chatting while playing the game. I don't think the interface was ever really meant to be so schizophrenic and to actually multitask that much, but the end result sure was a letdown for anybody who thought Sony had learned something from Xbox and the year-long headstart Xbox 360 had.
Sony is still technically a hardware company afterall, while MS is a software company. That is why PS3 has a more impressive hardware design/fewer failures, while 360 has more impressive software features/more hardware failures.

BoilersFan23 said:
It's actually true, MS has a software patent on it:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/6981918

Along with many other patents which partially explain why other consoles don't have them (I saw somewhere MS had a patent on a jack you could plug your headset into the controller. Saw another software patent for when a notification appears, the controller light will blink).

Yeah, it's the (fairly typical) nonsense of a major corp that develops a lot fo software that they try to patent any otherwise minute thing to prevent others from using it or to get royalties they can charge through the nose (or any other orifice) for. The headphone jack into controller thing is just plain weak sauce though. At least Sony supports BT so you can use any BT headset and MS needs a proprietary one or a wired cell phone headset.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Lately all I play are fighting games, online MP games, Wipeout and action-oriented PSN games. I can listen to custom soundtracks on less than half of those, and with SFIV, I can't even listen to anything while I play online which is where I spend most of my time anyway.

Frustrating. I really don't want to hear the shit developers put in their games most of the time.

Top Bottom