• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where the hell are The Elder Scrolls 6 and Bloodborne 2?!?

Dadasch

I dislike Skyrim A LOT but denying that Skyrim is the default RPG for the mass market is pretty ridiculous. That's a fact.

kikiribu

There's several scenes that look way better than the actual game.
The scene when entering cathedral ward for the first time, and after
waking up
from being
kidnapped

Right after that cutscene that games definitely doesn't stay on course for the same quality.
The cutscenes you're talking about are entirely in-engine. They don't look way better than the actual game either. Cutscenes in games generally look a bit more detailed than the actual gameplay.

Obscura

No thank you to either game.

Elder Scrolls are, in my opinion, janky garbage. I'd rather play something with obvious love and care (and decent voice acting) put into it like The Witcher series.

Bloodborne 2 sounds great but it has quite a mountain to climb to equal or beat Bloodborne. I worship Miyazaki but even I don't trust he can make a sequel that stands up to the first. Plus the veil has already been lifted. Before BB came out we had no idea it was actually a Lovecraftian story. We thought we were a hunter killing beasts and looking for a blood cure of some sort. Unless you found a somewhat hidden early item you wouldn't even have a clue until the Forbidden Forest (if I'm remembering correctly). Better to move on to something new where surprises can still happen.

Fuck that, I'd rather have more Witcher games, and they're never coming.

We're getting Cyberpunk 2077 which is a welcome departure and something new and different. I like TW alot and have been playing them since they initially released. But I'm glad CD Projekt is doing something new.

Josman

Bethesda has two major projects that will launch before ES6, and Howard also said that his plan for ES6 is not possible on current-gen hardware. It'll be a while, sadly.

What plans would that be? I wonder if it's VR, I mean they added support to Fallout 4 and Skyrim, it's not that big of a stretch to think they'll build a separate version of the next ES for VR from the ground up

The cutscenes you're talking about are entirely in-engine. They don't look way better than the actual game either. Cutscenes in games generally look a bit more detailed than the actual gameplay.

In my opinion they look better.
it's just too bad it doesn't remain looking that good.

Ravelle

They already mentioned they aren't working on a ES6 and won't be for long time either because ES Online exist, and I'm not looking for a ES6 either with how FO4 turned out with that same ancient engine.

I'm not expecting a BloodBorne 2 either but at least something from FROM and Hidetaka Miyazaki would be nice.

Loxley

The Elder Scrolls Online is doing very well for Bethesda by all accounts, so there's really no rush in getting ES6 out there to take away players from it. Especially since they've proven they can still milk Skyrim for a little while longer.

My guess is we'll get an ES6 announcement next E3 with a release in the fall at the earliest.

Skyrim was made by the same people (as in literally the same staff members) who made Fallout 4, so there was no one available to make the game before. Bethesda is now a two team studio (as far as non-mobile games go), but one of their games is a new IP in the vein of Elder Scrolls/Fallout, and the other is some kind of online service game, so it will probably be another 2-3 years before they even start developing The Elder Scrolls 6.

Yep, we can be pretty sure Starfield is their next game, and if it matches up with the description provided by that "leaker" before E3 then there's a good chance their second game is Game of Thrones. I know that leak got laughed out of the park at first, but he was also active shortly before the Bethesda show started as well (something most people have still missed from the rumour news) claiming Starfield had been pulled last minute and wouldn't be shown after all, and a confirmed legit Fallout 4 insider also tweeted in surprise after the show ended saying Starfield was supposed to show so must have been pulled. It's turned me around from "that leak is clearly fake" to "hmmm, maybe this guy is legit? Let's see how Starfield shapes up."

To fill in everyone not in the know, the "leaker" claimed Starfield was the next game and the new IP (highly likely) and that it would rely heavily on procedural planets and an expanded Settlement system from Fallout 4. He claimed Game of Thrones was the game due afterwards, which would fit the bill of a game ripe for monetization. And he claimed TESVI would be set in Akavir, originally because of the way VI fits into AkaVIr, like IV fit into Oblivion, but also more recently because of how well the Settlement system would operate in that setting as Imperial colonization of the new continent. It all reads like a fan's wet dream though, so we'll see how it pans out. But he did accurately predict Starfield would be pulled from the E3 show, and he also made some scarily accurate predictions about Skyrim VR which no-one even knew existed at this point (said it was also ready to be shown, but that Bethesda were unsure whether to showcase it because it could steal hype from the already-announced and expected Fallout 4 VR - it ended up being shown at Microsoft's conference). So it's on track to turn from "not even remotely believable" to "hmmmmm, maybe he does know something?"

TissueBox

Bethesda has two major projects that will launch before ES6, and Howard also said that his plan for ES6 is not possible on current-gen hardware. It'll be a while, sadly.

Yep.

Time. Let 'em take it.

No one makes big expansive single-player focused RPGs like these folks do anymore, besides potentially CDPR. And I'm not interested in seeing MTs/services in a mainline Elder Scrolls game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
i wouldnt expect TES6 anytime soon, the online game seems to finally be doing well and they are going to milk that for a long long time.

Acorn

I really hope they walk back the bioware dialogue wheel shit. Hopefully the fallout blowback sent a message.

So you're saying Skyrim is the better RPG over Divinity?

YMqQkze.jpg

giphy.gif

A-V-B

Is Bethesda even considering making Elder Scrolls 6? Seems they've pretty much jumped off the single player bandwagon for that series and are just trying to milk previous entries for all they're worth.

NotUS

There are likely major engine upgrades in progress for the next ES6 targeting visuals, ai, questing etc

This takes a lot of time, and no doubt penning a quality story with meaningful side quests is a huge undertaking as well.

If their rumored space RPG 'Starfield' is really a thing, well that's the immediate golden opportunity in the wake of Bioware's recent offering.

ES can still simmer for a while longer while the consoles continue to build up their user base, and with ESO, that card game, and Skyrim VR producing a steady revenue stream from the franchise, they don't need to rush it until its truly ready.

As with Fallout 4, they will likely reveal close to release date, so news of the game will be scarce.

Khalme

Neo Member
There are likely major engine upgrades in progress for the next ES6 targeting visuals, ai, questing etc
I hope you're right.
They really need to do something about "gamebryo/creation engine/whatever fancy name Todd will comes up with".

This takes a lot of time, and no doubt penning a quality story with meaningful side quests is a huge undertaking as well.
Uhhh. I love Bethesda games, but I'm not sure if they're capable of delivering (a lot of) meaningful sidequests and a quality story.
In each of their games there are a few good quests here and there, but most of them are a bit bland, The worst offender is Fallout 4 where your stats/skills don't matter, no one cares about anything you say and (mostly) everything ends in a firefight.
I like what Bethesda does and I enjoyed my 500 hours spent in Skyrim, but they're not Obsidian or CdProjekt, so I won't hold my breath for good writing.

I just hope they get rid of that dumb dialogue wheel and the voiced protagonist so that players get a bit more freedom instead of being locked into "Nora/Nate" archetype.

Sony funded bloodborne when they thought they are gonna have a competition, which is no longer the case. They don't have a reason to find BB2

I hope you're right.
Uhhh. I love Bethesda games, but I'm not sure if they're capable of delivering (a lot of) meaningful sidequests and a quality story.
In each of their games there are a few good quests here and there, but most of them are a bit bland, The worst offender is Fallout 4 where your stats/skills don't matter, no one cares about anything you say and (mostly) everything ends in a firefight.
I like what Bethesda does and I enjoyed my 500 hours spent in Skyrim, but they're not Obsidian or CdProjekt, so I won't hold my breath for good writing.

I just hope they get rid of that dumb dialogue wheel and the voiced protagonist so that players get a bit more freedom instead of being locked into "Nora/Nate" archetype.

Bethesda sometimes hits the bank with quest design i.e. Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion which was pretty amazing.

Fallout 4 was a Mass Effect 4 level disappointment, though.

SgtCobra

A new Elder Scrolls will definitely happen, not in the near future, but it will happen.
Bloodborne 2 is a game/dream people should forget, I thought at first that it could happen but now I'm sure it won't.

Bloodborne 1 was already DARK SOULS 4
Butbutbut Bloodborne came out before Dark Souls 3.

TES6 is 2019 at the earliest. I don't know why people are expecting it so soon especially when they're still milking out new versions of Skyrim.

FromSoft can also take as long as they want.

TDLink

TES6 is not happening before 2022 at the earliest and I think even that is probably being generous. They haven't really started working on it.

Their focus is on two other projects first that are also big open world RPGs. Starfield (the sci-fi one) is the main focus.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I would love a Bloodborne 2 but what I'd love even more is a "new" IP that was basically a Bloodborne clone and released on PC. Just like how we got Demon's Soul as exclusive on PS3 and then we got Dark Souls on PS3, 360, PC.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So you're saying Skyrim is the better RPG over Divinity?

YMqQkze.jpg

never said that, did i? stop trying to put words in my mouth. i disagree that Divinity is the "default RPG to buy when you get a PS4/XB1". it's a good game but it's nowhere near as popular as Skyrim.

This is probably a better idea though.

yep, i'd be on it so fast. 60fps bloodborne is a dream and of course more people would have access to the game.

ramparter

Banned
Im sure ESVI is under development but I expect it Holidays 2019 at best, probably later. I know they used to release these every 5 years but they have more IPs now and also current open world games require much more work, budget, assets...

Fredrik

No Elder Scrolls this gen except for Online and the HD port??
But I'm still playing Skyrim so I'm not that upset tbh.

Cartho

TES VI - They're working on how to fit as much jank, poor animations and bugs into the game while keeping the number of voice actors as low as possible.

BB 2 - FROM have said there likely won't be one as they're working on new projects.

Cartho

I can see another studio making Bloodborne 2. FROM won't touch it though.

Also, Bloodborne isn't a souls games.

What? Of course it is, don't be ridiculous. Ok it doesn't have shields or the word souls in the title but come on. It has identical icons for items, fog gates, almost identical boss HP bars and name fonts, identical lock on systems, almost identical HP and stamina systems, an almost identical level up system (literally the only difference is fewer stat options and the fact that souls are called blood echoes) and an identical checkpointing / shortcut progression system in its levels.

If you think BB isn't a souls game you're either trolling or are splitting hairs over tiny differences. BB is essentially a souls game played with a massively high Dex / mobility build.

Drencrom

FROM will probably make a new IP again for Sony instead of another Bloodborne, which I'm okay with as Bloodborne was a great standalone title.

Top Bottom