• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where went all the great action movie one-liner?

brawly

34927a93bceabd00903fe1cf4bf7f9e7.gif

I am always ashamed to admit it, but I have somehow overlooked Willis so far completly. I have not even seen Die Hard.

I mean, I agree with your OP, but my God what the fuck

You can't have an opinion on action films until you've watched Die Hard 1-3 at minimum.

classic

The first one is the only one you need to see.

Ok Die Hard 1 is fucking legendary, but Die Hard With A Vengeance is awesome. Jeremy Irons and Samuel Jackson were at peak 90's.

They're not the same because they were a perfect storm.

Today we've got better cinematography and effects but we don't have the writers, directors and actors. Writers think that that kind of writing is corny and it won't fly anymore, many directors won't bother because action cinema doesn't lend itself to "serious" themes and more artistic stuff, while the rest gravitate either to comedy, horror or whatever which will generate benefits at half the cost.

Action stuff is dominated by superhero movies which are bogged by their cumbersome universes and mass appeal, also, actors who work in the genre are simply not charismatic enough. Nor Jason Statham, Vin Diesel or Dwayne Johnson hold a candle to Bruce Willis, Sly or Schwarzenegger, for example.

We get some outliers like Dredd but that's about it.

I have actually a good reason to never have watched Die Hard. I watch movies always in their german version (where of course something from the oneliners goes away, but they are most the time still pretty amazing and I of course know the originals from the web)

Why is that?
I noticed you said the same thing in your Godzilla thread. I don't want to act like a snob, there's certainly nothing wrong with watching dubbed movies, I still do it occasionally. But you're posting on GAF so you already have a decent handle of the english language and there's always a little bit of substance that gets lost in translation.

Anyway, the villains in Die Hard 2 are american, you can start there if you prefer. I understand being annoyed by german villains in Hollywood movies but I thought they handled them pretty well in Die Hard 1 & 3. They didn't feel like offensive caricatures, just badass euro villains.

4 is okay but forgettable. You can skip it. I've never seen 5 but it's pretty terrible from what I understand.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why is that?
I noticed you said the same thing in your Godzilla thread. I don't want to act like a snob, there's certainly nothing wrong with watching dubbed movies, I still do it occasionally. But you're posting on GAF so you already have a decent handle of the english language and there's always a little bit of substance that gets lost in translation.

Anyway, the villains in Die Hard 2 are american, you can start there if you prefer. I understand being annoyed by german villains in Hollywood movies but I thought they handled them pretty well in Die Hard 1 & 3. They didn't feel like offensive caricatures, just badass euro villains.

4 is okay but forgettable. You can skip it. I've never seen 5 but it's pretty terrible from what I understand.
I am fine with the villains beeing german, that they are not in the german version is whats is bothering me ;)
From all actors in Hollywood, Willis is the one with the most amazing voiceactor, he is even loved by the people who hate german dubs: https://youtu.be/kzpTroO6ogs

I think I am gonna grab the Box with Part I - IV the next time I see it.

But in regards of the question with the dubs, its more that I am often, espescially with older movies very unhappy with the soundmix, the voices are often very quiet compared to the other sounds IMO.
Also, I just got used to their voices. I cant take Arnie or Sly seriously when they mumble around.

I have actually a good reason to never have watched Die Hard. I watch movies always in their german version (where of course something from the oneliners goes away, but they are most the time still pretty amazing and I of course know the originals from the web)
but in the german version from Die Hard, the german terrorists arent from germany, they are "europeans". They still have their clearly german names, but they arent from germany and this really turned me of on watching that movie. I know, its a bit silly, but still.
Also we dont have a good pack that includes the extended Cut of Die Hard 4 and does not have the fifth included.

They did change their names actually. Hans Gruber to Jack Gruber, Karl to Charlie etc.

The dumbest bit is when Bruce Willis writes the names of two terrorists he has eavesdropped on on his arm. The german dub gives him some flimsy, illogical reason as to why he writes different names than the ones they're saying in the dub.

I am fine with the villains beeing german, that they are not in the german version is whats is bothering me ;)

Lol, okay, I'll admit that that is strange.

From all actors in Hollywood, Willis is the one with the most amazing voiceactor, he is even loved by the people who hate german dubs: https://youtu.be/kzpTroO6ogs

It's the same in french, actually. And Eddie Murphy as well. Their voice actors are beloved here and arguably funnier than the original versions.

I think I am gonna grab the Box with Part I - IV the next time I see it.

But in regards of the question with the dubs, its more that I am often, espescially with older movies very unhappy with the soundmix, the voices are often very quiet compared to the other sounds IMO.
Also, I just got used to their voices. I cant take Arnie or Sly seriously when they mumble around.

What I do is that I always watch english language content with english subtitles. It helps me with older movies, weird accents and bad sound mixes. That's pretty much how I learned to speak english in the first place, it's all thanks to my dvd imports!

He did that shit in the OT too people need to stop acting like that line was so out of place for Vader.

I thought that part was awesome, and classic Vader

People will bitch about anything, I swear, smdh

Because it was out of place. And awful. Vader acted like he was performing a stage play.
What does that even mean? He always had a dark humor and physical "style"... ah fuck it.

For me there are a few movies that have managed to retain the classic feel while still being modern movies. The best of the bunch are Dredd and Mad Max, but something like John Wick is good as well. Shoot 'em up was also good when it came out, although that is a while ago.

Edit: and op, watch Die Hard.

All good call outs. Movie makers today seem to be afraid to go into cheesy/campy territory with their one-liners/quips anymore, which I guess is both good and bad. Now everything has to be edgy and spot-on clever.

Karl Urban in Dredd has some pretty deadpan one word lines.

"Admirable."
"Interesting."
"...Yeah."

He really does. And he commits to what little dialogue he has so well. He absolutely nailed it as Dredd...he's dark, matter-of-fact, unwavering. It's great. It's one of my favorite movies of the past decade for sure. I also like:

"Sir, a helmet can interfere with my psychic abilities"
"I think a bullet in the head would interfere with them more."

[punches guy in throat]"Choke on that."

"Judgement time."

I live, I die, I live again.

If I'm going to die, I'm going to die historic - on the fury road.

We will live eternal in Valhalla, shiny and chrome.

WITNESS ME

Top Bottom