• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has better graphics: Hellblade 2 or Death Stranding 2?

Which game has better graphics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GymWolf

Pretty close, hb2 wins in some aspects, ds2 win in others, gta 6 shit on both from great height.

Ds2 should be a much bigger game tho but the first one was 90% of the time rendering just sam and the location and not much else, so not exactly the most heavy open world around.

Last edited:
Hellblade 2 has bad animation? What? WTF has happened to this place?

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Reallink

Hellblade 2 is too dark and too smothered in "cinematography" filters to see what it actually looks like, so DS2 wins by default.

Rockman33

If you’re just going by screen shots I don’t know how anyone can objectively say HB2 doesn’t look better. And realistically it should since one of the biggest goals of this game is a tight scripted campaign. Really goes to show you the strong bias for Sony.

I’m sure if Kojima wanted to make a very tightly compacted game he could reach if not exceed HB2 fidelity. But that isn’t what he’s going for.

Having said all this they both visually look amazing for what they are trying to achieve.

CamHostage

The close-ups and expressiveness in HB 2 are extraordinary, and they have demonstrated a lot of nuanced animation in the pain and anguish and determination of fights (fights also have an intimate, narrowed camera that really finds these expressions.) I don't know if these are "dynamic" expressions or if they just have really good captures of pained looks to splice into fights and encounters, but it does a great job of having the character feel alive for pretty much every second of footage they show so far. (We'll see how well they keep it up, but so far so good.) DS2 by contrast has great cutscene exchanges, but it's bound to suffer from being open-world and not linearly confined, so when Norman Reedus jumps into the cockpit of a jeep and the camera gives you a front-on view of play, it looks like a game character robotically getting into a seated pose for vehicle control.

Lip flap animation in Death Stranding 2 is what really got me this time; it's flawless in portraying the actress's facial movement for each syllable. Ninja Theory has been on the forefront of facial capture technology but the only small bits of actual dialog we've seen in the 2023 troll encounter trailer and the 2024 developer showcase were slightly off still. (NT has great technical demos of dialog, but I'm just going off of what's in the playable build.) I'm curious to see how each of these projects finish up, as both companies are on the bleeding edge of facial tech. (Kojima's "OD" project for Microsoft is experimenting with UE Metahumans, so the good competition will continue.

...Environments in Hellblade 2 have not yet captured me, except for the Troll Encounter trailer setting; the most recent Developer Spotlight video really had little of the scope or detail I had thought this game capable of outside of the confined fight sequences, almost as if you can see the rails of its level paths. No real vista shots or moments of majesty in that clip. However, the shots were not really geared for that, and they really didn't show a lot of traversal gameplay, so it's a limited viewpoint. The two Death Stranding 2 clips have indulged in huge vista shots (and show clear improvements or modifications over the already impressive Horizon FW environments using Decima) and so in a 'battle' of two games to be played almost entirely in outdoor environments, I have a better sense that Death Stranding 2 will wow me with its landscapes. (It's odd, Ninja Theory has put a lot of its promotion into talking about its excursions to Iceland, seeking to bottle that majesty for the game, but so far they've not shown much of those results in their game showcases.)

...They both have weird hand things grabbing faces, so on that point, they're an even match.

0Lzn8Fp.png

Last edited:

GymWolf

2 things worth notice:

it's hard to judge the digital acting\facial expression because kojima use talented actors, hb2 use a model that can't act for shit so she over-act to compensate, also famous actors trick the brain into thinking that they look more realistic because they are easy to associate with a real person.

small example from yakuza 6, the literal protagonist vs an important npcs scanned from takeshi kitano face, which one look more like a real person to you? (same game, same engine, both cutscene)

636606929743611656-Yakuza-6-Kiryu.jpg

yakuza-kitano.jpg

Last edited:
There seem to be a lot of simulations in DS2 (rbd, grains, volumetrics) to bring those environments to life. As a tech artist, that makes it all the more exciting.

And to the comment above re: the facial animation somehow being tricked ahead by recognition… no, it’s just that good.

Last edited:

Fbh

Both look great, and it's going to be hard to make an actual comparison until both are out. At a glance I'd say character models in HB2 look a bit better.

But they are also 2 very different types of games so I imagine the final product will stand out in different areas. Death Stranding, based on the original, has a lot of cutscenes but the actual gameplay focuses a lot more on the environment with big fields and grand vistas. Hellblade, based on the original, is a way more close and personal experience even during gameplay: You move through tighter environments with the camera always close to the player and fights focus on close range 1VS1 encounters, etc.

I imagine outside of cutscenes DS2 will focus more on the macro details and HB2 on the micro details.

Last edited:
The close-ups and expressiveness in HB 2 are extraordinary, and they have demonstrated a lot of nuanced animation in the pain and anguish and determination of fights (fights also have an intimate, narrowed camera that really finds these expressions.) I don't know if these are "dynamic" expressions or if they just have really good captures of pained looks to splice into fights and encounters, but it does a great job of having the character feel alive for pretty much every second of footage they show so far. (We'll see how well they keep it up, but so far so good.) DS2 by contrast has great cutscene exchanges, but it's bound to suffer from being open-world and not linearly confined, so when Norman Reedus jumps into the cockpit of a jeep and the camera gives you a front-on view of play, it looks like a game character robotically getting into a seated pose for vehicle control.

Lip flap animation in Death Stranding 2 is what really got me this time; it's flawless in portraying the actress's facial movement for each syllable. Ninja Theory has been on the forefront of facial capture technology but the only small bits of actual dialog we've seen in the 2023 troll encounter trailer and the 2024 developer showcase were slightly off still. (NT has great technical demos of dialog, but I'm just going off of what's in the playable build.) I'm curious to see how each of these projects finish up, as both companies are on the bleeding edge of facial tech. (Kojima's "OD" project for Microsoft is experimenting with UE Metahumans, so the good competition will continue.

...Environments in Hellblade 2 have not yet captured me, except for the Troll Encounter trailer setting; the most recent Developer Spotlight video really had little of the scope or detail I had thought this game capable of outside of the confined fight sequences, almost as if you can see the rails of its level paths. No real vista shots or moments of majesty in that clip. However, the shots were not really geared for that, and they really didn't show a lot of traversal gameplay, so it's a limited viewpoint. The two Death Stranding 2 clips have indulged in huge vista shots (and show clear improvements or modifications over the already impressive Horizon FW environments using Decima) and so in a 'battle' of two games to be played almost entirely in outdoor environments, I have a better sense that Death Stranding 2 will wow me with its landscapes. (It's odd, Ninja Theory has put a lot of its promotion into talking about its excursions to Iceland, seeking to bottle that majesty for the game, but so far they've not shown much of those results in their game showcases.)
Nice summary, I'm sure there are big environments in HB2 but will ultimately still be linear.

K2D

Banned
If similar to DS1 or HB1, it could be a tie.

Not a good thing.
Both of them were pretty snore fest at some. Difference between the two? - I managed to power through DS until it got great..!

edit:
8hVJPZi.jpg

How weird is it that a 25-30 year old proto-celt(?) male is going around clean shaven and with short hair?

Last edited:

Del_X

They're doing different things but HB2 for character models and facial capture and DS2 for "the whole package." I was more impressed with DS2, but I like environments and tech. There's definitely interesting things going on with the physics in it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Oops voted Death Stranding 2, and was thinking why would anyone vote Helldivers 2.

Top Bottom