• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game releases feels to you as event

Fitts

Every Souls game announcement/release carries with it a level of significance for me that nothing else can currently come close to. I used to feel similarly about a lot of franchises, but that feeling has become more fleeting as I've gotten older.

eXistor

The bigger Nintendo games such as Mario and Zelda. These are the type of games people will be talking about for many years to come, they really earn their place in gaming history, so when one of those gets released, it's a big deal.

eot

Banned
I'm not quite understanding your initial question, but I'm assuming you're asking "What game releases excite you when announced at events?" Or something along those lines.

If that's the case, usually strong franchises that I'm invested in. The Legend of Zelda and Metroid franchises will always get me jumping out of my seat, even if Nintendo announces lackluster side-games in the franchises (e.g. Metroid Prime Pinball, Triforce Heroes, etc).

I'm really hoping Nintendo announces a new and proper Metroid game at e3. I'll be disappointed, if not, but if they do, I'll lose my mind! Give it to me, Nintendo!

No, he means "which game releases feel like an event to you?"

WWE games use to feel like an event back when IGN did the roster reveal countdown. They still do some stuff with the reveals, like last year's Suplex City; but without models, stats, movesets, and entrances - it's just not as exciting. However, as a big fan of the series, every reveal still feels like an event. IGN's WWE Board gets busy again, and some of my favourite YouTubers get really hyped. It's really more of a community thing than 2K putting in promotional effort outside of their one big budget commercial.

Pokémon is always an event, whether it's a next gen game or a remake. Zelda games feel pretty eventful too, even though I'm not big on the series.

kosmologi

Halo is the last one for me, although Halo 3 and Reach cannot be topped. I used to anticipate Uncharted and Mass Effect games too, but have gotten indifferent about those (UC4, ME:A) during this gen.

Perhaps Elder Scrolls could be added to the list, too.

It's also surreal UC1 was such a niche game and bad to be honest, then UC2 comes changes everything.UC2-UC3-UC4 even VITA release was very memorable events.

Where did this narrative come from? I realize there weren't a huge number of people playing ps3s in 2007 when UC released but it was and is a great (and at the time pretty innovative in what it blended) game. It was also a major event when it released at a time when PS3 had very few games. So it was a major tentpole release.

It has too much shooting and the subsequent game made major important improvements, but that doesn't take away from what DF was. its a pretty tired regurgitated argument at this point.

CoD's release is an event for me every year. Call it a guilty pleasure. I pick up some Mountain Dew and Doritoes, take the day off and spend it on the campaign. Great stuff.

Similar, but it's with multiplayer. I will touch the campaign after a few months. (really cool after being very familiar with MP maps)

Rektash

None.

Just like birthdays, the older I get, the less I care about them. I usually play games 1-2 years after release these days.

Hype is smoke and mirrors. All I care about nowdays is the experience I get out of playing a game.

Toni

Every Naughty Dog game.

Came here to post this, as Naughty Dog Review threads also tend to be legit Events themselves.

Naughty Dog has been releasing 91+ scoring projects-after-project since 2009. Even their DLC's score high.

The Lost Legacy is going to bring the house down and be one the highest scoring things this year.

Make sure to tune in

FEx25Oh.gif

correojon

Zelda for me. It´s a series that´s been around for +30 years and each one of them has been of incredible quality. I may be overhyped for other games like a new DMC, Metroid, Bayonetta or Mario, but Zelda feels like the top of the top. 3D Mario comes close, but Zelda has that something especial of there being only one game per console iteration unlike Mario where there usually are more (even if only of them is a 3D platformer).

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
3D Mario
3D Zelda
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart
Sonic (sometimes...)
Xenoblade
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid (through 2015, but it's over now)

After playing my first Ratchet & Clank last year, probably that series for me too.

A new mainline Final Fantasy will be always a huge event for me. Been part of my life since elementary school.

Too bad XV was underwhelming

Opinions. XV was pretty good actually, well worth a ~8.5 average. Not an amazing game, but still a great one not stopped by its great flaws at the same time.

Sulik2

Halo, Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto still feel like events. The media blitzes are just unavoidable. I don't think anything else touches those franchises. Destiny 2 might, but have to see how their hype engine goes.

Gorillaz

ND, Rockstar, Overwatch felt big, Zelda, MW2 years ago felt incredible.

Any game that has stood the test of time for over a decade is pretty much a big moment. Or certain studio.

jwhit28

Smash Bros, Metal Gear and GTA. Their trailers and slow reveals are always top notch. Smash Bros Brawl might have been the most hyped game ever at release thanks to nightly updates.

Mupod

For me personally, most of my friends only care about Blizzard games. So WoW expansions, Overwatch and the like were all huge 'events'. Destiny 2 coming to battle.net was a big surprise because it's going to get a ton of attention from my usual circle of friends. It's been funny watching GAF claim it's going to sell like shit because it's not on steam.

As a pretty active member of the Monster Hunter community I consider every western launch a big deal. I don't have time to play them for months but the games take over my life when they are new. I try to focus on them then because that's when everyone is leveling, asking for help with urgents, etc.

Super Smash Bros
Console Zelda installments
3D Mario
Persona
Final Fantasy
New Pokemon generation
Dragon Quest mainline
Zero Escape 3 :/

Luke_Wal

I remember my HS theater teacher being pissed when almost all of the guys in my class skipped school the day GTA V came out, a week before our spring play. Rockstar games are next level events.

Mainline Pokemon games are also always huge.

SugarDave

Grand Theft Auto always seems to be the daddy of capturing this feeling. Rockstar are tight-lipped enough about their work that you feel like you're going to be surprised and the early streams are always fun to watch and discuss.

Metal Gear Solid was also good at this, and anything CDPR releases in future will be major for myself.

Souls games. The community is most active around release, so every release feels like an event when you have so many multiplayer interactions

I also remember the craziness on GAF before the release of Bloodborne. I got a very unfortunately timed ban and couldn't participate in the craziness 😥😥😥😥😥

Obligatory GTA.

Titanfall 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered were the most recent for me. I took a day off for each, my eyes damn near melted out of my skull and my fiancé was pouty but they felt like a party to me, dammit.

Top Bottom