• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is the better-looking game: Killzone 2 or Killzone 3?

Shredderi

KZ2 looks more impressive even though technically it's inferior. The motionblur effects etc. just make it look more like CG. Also the game's drab color palette was beautiful in a brutal way. I think it's the only game after the first medal of honors etc. to really make you feel like you're in this brutal as fuck warzone, in the shit.

Wow, are my eyes forgiving or does Killzone 2 still look really fucking good even by today's standards?

It looks alright

TBPabCS.jpg

pixelation

Everything they did for the graphics on the SPUs they could probably do much more efficiently on GPU in the PS4 version.

I think only oversight would lead to somethings missing or being toned down, not some technical problem like we saw regarding transparencies in PS2 to PS3 remasters.

If remasters were to be made, i hope you're correct. Also... am i nuts or do Killzone 2 & 3 look better than Shadow Fall?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I still can't get over just how good Killzone 2 is. I remember shitting on Sony thinking they were lying about the graphics, oh boy was I wrong..

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
cambrige is gone and guerrilla def has no plans to go back to KZ, so like resistance, i'd like it to remain a curious part of history. its age has long since passed. No need for any remasters

While I still really liked KZ3 I absolutely loved KZ2. The atmosphere, the setting, level design, loved that game, one of my favorite shooters of all time.

O0x0p4z.gif

RHavQFF.gif

tAJZSGP.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Definitely KZ2. They just missed some notes with KZ3, and the game was IMO rather ugly actually.

If remasters were to be made, i hope you're correct. Also... am i nuts or do Killzone 2 & 3 look better than Shadow Fall?
Absolutely not. Shadowfall has some freaking amazing looking levels/scenes.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Depends how much you like a shit tonne of post processing effects and Vaseline smeared all over your screen.

I think 3 looks better.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Anyone got gifs/good screens of that Helgan jungle in 3? Or the scrapyard? Game had a wide variety of settings and colors, that's for sure. Closer to KZ1 in that regard.

KZ3 controlled better, but KZ2 looks better. It's such a consistently bleak, dark, gritty looking game. The rare splashes of red, orange, blue, and green pop so much, and the otherwise monochrome palette on top of contrast heavy lighting and ALL the post-processing on earth gives the game a soft, messy, "war is hell" CG look. Amazing art style.

Love the concept art look Killzone and Rage were going for last gen, even if materials were more flat and painterly than realistic. It boggles my mind when I read people saying that these games (and other sci-fi shooters) go for realism and don't have a strong art direction. Like where in the world do you find anything that looks like this?

Ravelle

I would like a remastered collection on the PS4, I never really finished the three and never really played Shadow Fall because it was a launch title.

My jaw dropped the first time I played Killzone 3,nothing really impressed me in Killzone 2,I never finished both,but watched my brother beat both.

KZ2 by far, the art direction puts it over KZ3 IMO. There was some technical stuff better in 3 but I defiantly enjoyed looking at 2 more that 3. Even some of the other environments, especially the desert and Visari's hammer.

29bkqz6.gif

pixelation

Definitely KZ2. They just missed some notes with KZ3, and the game was IMO rather ugly actually.

Well i have yet to finish Shadow Fall, but so far nothing has wowed me like KZ 2&3 once did.
stupid boring mission where i have to tell the chick what/who to shoot... i stopped playing and haven't touched it since.

Oublieux

I've played both Killzone 2 and Killzone 3, but for the life of me, I don't recall much about the third game. I do remember it being an impressive showcase graphically but the second one was much more thematically memorable and visceral to me. The environment being absolutely war torn and the chaotic feeling of being in the midst of battle was just so cohesively executed.

Atmosphere in Killzone 2 was amazing.
The use of colour was minimal and very well done imo.

Wouldn't mind a new Killzone game with that kind of atmosphere.
And with amazing Ai and reactions to being hit.

Memento

Killzone 3 was one of the best looking games of last gen, there is not even a discussion. The visuals were insane.

Killzone 2 might be the better game and the art direction is indeed unique, but KZ3 was technically much more impressive.

Shredderi

Atmosphere in Killzone 2 was amazing.
The use of colour was minimal and very well done imo.

Wouldn't mind a new Killzone game with that kind of atmosphere.
And with amazing Ai and reactions to being hit.

Yep. I wouldn't mind them going back to Killzone if they did it with similar artstyle and atmosphere as KZ2, but with godlike fidelity and everything they have learned with Horizon, as they clearly stepped up their game as game developers with that title.

Yep. I wouldn't mind them going back to Killzone if they did it with similar artstyle and atmosphere as KZ2, but with godlike fidelity and everything they have learned with Horizon, as they clearly stepped up their game as game developers with that title.

Hell yeah. With what they know and are able to do now... brrrrr.

Nev

Banned
Killzone 3 both looks and plays better.

Killzone 2 is one of the few games that has managed to give me a headache. From the brown, blurry, colorless mess of the pissfilter to the underwater input lag of the controls. Jesus christ what a horrible way to undermine your own product.

And yes, I "get it", it's supposed to be that way. That doesn't excuse the horrible experience that is going through it.

Killzone 3's bright and varied setting and tight controls were so incredibly refreshing and enjoyable.

Best of the saga by a mile. It was so much fun outside of the shitty snow vehicle level.

pswii60

KZ2 is the better looking game due to all the post processing effects. But they also caused a shit ton of input lag, so I was pleased when they toned it down in KZ3 and we got a much more responsive game.

nelo_inc

I will go and say Killzone 2, maybe because when it was launched it was quite impressive,
i also prefer the more dark theme.

Killzone 3 has more colour wich i didn't enjoy as much.

ScOULaris

Yeah, Shadow Fall is still jaw-droppingly stunning from a graphical standpoint. Its art style might not be as distinct and cohesive as that of KZ2, but I don't think anyone can deny how great it looks overall. It's a launch game and still looks better than the majority of PS4 games out there.

It was the game design of Shadow Fall that really disappointed, however. That launch window must've really put a pinch on development. It's a shame because Horizon showed us what Guerilla is capable of when given ample time with the PS4 hardware.

Justinh

I can't comment on the graphics, because I never had a PS3 but I would really welcome a PS4 remaster.
Always wanted to play KZ 2 & 3.

I thought Killzone 2 was really good. I remember people getting upset about... how the analog sticks work in the game for some reason, I can't remember. Maybe it was a big dead zone? It took me a while but I was able to get used to it. I never played 3 despite owning the helmet version (it was like 40 dollars new on amazon at the time I bought it).

KZ2 is the better looking game due to all the post processing effects. But they also caused a shit ton of input lag, so I was pleased when they toned it down in KZ3 and we got a much more responsive game.
Oh, I guess it was lag.

BigEmil

The art direction is the only redeeming thing about Killzone

Other than that it's a generic trash game

creatchee

I thought Killzone 2 was really good. I remember people getting upset about... how the analog sticks work in the game for some reason, I can't remember. Maybe it was a big dead zone? It took me a while but I was able to get used to it. I never played 3 despite owning the helmet version (it was like 40 dollars new on amazon at the time I bought it).

Oh, I guess it was lag.

The funny part was that some people were DEFENDING the stick delay in 2. They said that the weapons were sluggish to make them and the experience feel even more realistic. I shit you not.

Justinh

The funny part was that some people were DEFENDING the stick delay in 2. They said that the weapons were sluggish to make them and the experience feel even more realistic. I shit you not.

Yeah, I was able to get used to it, but it still felt like shit. Kinda like Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One. Felt like shit, but I still liked the game enough to finish it. It's clear, in both cases though, that something's wrong here.

"More realistic" lol, maybe if you were trying to shoulder fire a 30 lb machine gun.

i-Lo

KZ2 still carries with it the "it" factor or the "soul" because of its atmosphere which has since been unmatched by the series. KZ3 in its own right was definitely a looker, however.

Top Bottom