• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which PS3 to keep? 60GB or Slim?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So I am about to trade in one PS3 and my 360 (20GB launch) for credit towards PS4. The 360 is a fucking POS (the actual unit) and I will eventually buy a 360 Slim to catch up on 360 exclusives from this gen that I missed when my OG started going to shit.

The PS3 dilemma is which to trade in? 60GB fat or 160GB slim. Both trade in for the same amount. The Slim is a better console in almost every conceivable way, but the fat means I only need one console for three generations of Playstation gaming. Things I would actually miss if I traded in my slim:

HDMI-CEC (it powers up and switches inputs on my TV and stereo automatically)
noise... my slim is silent compared to my 60GB
reliability.. my 3 year old slim is still flawless.. my 60GB is on its second BD drive controller (repaired by sony) and its second BD drive (repaired by me). The two running side by side for the next 10 years, I know which one I have more faith in still working at that time.

I know I am basically making the decision easier... but man I don't want to also have a PS2 hooked up to my entertainment center also. :(

Zukuu

Banned
60gb. You have a ps2 in that as well.

edit: oh yours has problems. mhhh. My launch ps3 still runs flawlessly.

Whools

Do you get more for a slim? If so trade that in, if the fat stops working you could buy a new slim in a few years for very little, not sure if you'd make your money back, just spitballing

borghe

Do you get more for a slim? If so trade that in, if the fat stops working you could buy a new slim in a few years for very little

no, they are both $110 at gamestop currently. I believe the only PS3 worth more is one of the "super slims" with a larger default drive.

I also have to do the "soak the rubber band" trick for my 360 or I'm guessing gamestop will give me the broken trade in price for that. Unit won't eject without smacking it when pressing the eject button.

Whools

no, they are both $110 at gamestop currently. I believe the only PS3 worth more is one of the "super slims" with a larger default drive.

I also have to do the "soak the rubber band" trick for my 360 or I'm guessing gamestop will give me the broken trade in price for that. Unit won't eject without smacking it when pressing the eject button.

Ah, best keep the slim so. get the money off the fat while it still works.

dab0ne

Spec wise is there a difference between the newer slim models and the 60GB? I have a 60 gig and when playing The Last of Us it gets really loud. Are the slims quieter? Do they have different specs at all in terms of power/performance?

Hold on to the 60GB as long as you can. Slims are better in every category other than BC, but they're going to keep dropping in price as time goes on. You won't have any trouble finding a slim down the road for cheap.

borghe

Spec wise is there a difference between the newer slim models and the 60GB? I have a 60 gig and when playing The Last of Us it gets really loud. Are the slims quieter? Do they have different specs at all in terms of power/performance?

power (as in electricity)? yes, massive.

way quieter, way cooler, and way less power. The only advantages of the 60GB are:

4 USB ports
SACD
PS2 BC
linux (if you keep your version of the OS way way way back)

advantages of slim:

quieter
cooler
less power use
HDMI-CEC
DTS-MA/Dolby True HD passthru (or decode.. forgot which)

60GB will be a collectors item in 10 years. There just were't that many sold. And aren't many left. That is why I am keeping mine around. Even though I play on a newer model version.

60GB will be a collectors item in 10 years. There just were't that many sold. And aren't many left. That is why I am keeping mine around. Even though I play on a newer model version.
This. Mine is really loud but I can't imagine giving it up. I don't much play ps2 games but it nice having a machine that plays 3 gens and 18 years worth of games on native hardware with the original controller.

dab0ne

power (as in electricity)? yes, massive.

way quieter, way cooler, and way less power. The only advantages of the 60GB are:

4 USB ports
SACD
PS2 BC
linux (if you keep your version of the OS way way way back)

advantages of slim:

quieter
cooler
less power use
HDMI-CEC
DTS-MA/Dolby True HD passthru (or decode.. forgot which)

Nice. I guess the real question I have is do games look and play better on the newer slim versions?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
keep the slim, be on the lookout for super cheap used PS2 slims - you could have one tucked away in a drawer and just bring it out when you want to play PS2 stuff - one power cable and one AV cable? easy.

Keep the Slim. There's a chance your old PS3 could just go kaput. Also, I definitely can't stand those jet-engine noises it makes, especially when watching Netflix.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Slims will be easier to find in the future, and when TVs become HDMI only, PS3 might be the only way to play PS2 games without having to deal with a crappy converter.

MisterC20XX

Keep your slim for sure. Don't dislike the idea of getting a PS2 if you really need access to the full PS2 library. Hell, buy a PSOne as well--you could have a "History of PlayStation" setup. But seriously, keep your slim.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I always thought the ps3 upscaled ps2 games much better than a ps2 could...

Massa

If you'll barely use it over the next few years the chances of the 60Gb failing are slim. I would keep that.

gryz

Banned
the ps slim will probably hold up better but working 60GB models will only go up in value over time. keep both, play on the slim and keep the 60GB in a box somewhere.

I'm on my 4th 60GB and still refuse to trade it for a slim. Sure, the 60 can get loud but that backwards compatibility wins every time.
PS2 games+Xploder HD boot disk+Component+DigitalAudio = awesome

Oh god, all these comments about the 60 GB...

i better go and vacuum mine; it's been a while since the last cleaning session

Zoe

Sell the 60GB online. Surely someone would want to hack it.

Oh god, all these comments about the 60 GB...

i better go and vacuum mine; it's been a while since the last cleaning session

I had practically no dust in mine when it died.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
60GB BC model is a hell of a lot more valuable than a slim...

At some point it obviously was, but you have to take into account the ticking clock of its inevitable death. I definitely wouldn't pay a premium for a BC PS3 in 2013 because it's going to break. Soon.

Top Bottom