• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which super team movie will have the higher B.O numbers?

sturmdogg

Justice League or Avengers: Infinity War?

Now I'm hyped for both movies mind you, and I hope they both do well. Just wanted to see which one you think will bring in better numbers, and why.

Personally I think Avengers will edge out JL because a lot of people have invested their time in watching the MCU movies and will want to know how this plays out.

Infinity War....

Edit:
Even if JL gets a WW RT score, Star Wars will be 28 days later..it won't have WW legs, Star Wars will steal those legs..

MisterHero

I feel we should be comparing Justice League and Avengers 1; first team-up vs first team-up. I still think it will be Avengers 1, Justice League has tons of warranted and unwarranted baggage.

Justice League will be better story-wise

Probably Infinity war, but the other way around would surprise me much. Just look at how much WW is front and center in the new trailer. They're gonna keep running on the good will she's gotten + Thanos Batman it's in it..

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
we should be comparing Justice League with Thor Ragnarok

either way, its the MCU outting but at least this is apples to apples

btrboyev

Justice League. just look at the numbers between spiderman and wonder woman

Doesn't mean anything. Wonder Woman being in justice league isn't going to save a potentially bad movie. Epecially one with characters no one has seen yet and a follow up to BvS.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thor: Ragnarok - Dark World Team Up

It's such an uphill battle for DC. Even if Justice League was legitimately good, I think people would still be hesitant. Infinity War will put butts in the seats regardless of quality.

kunonabi

Infinity War

I think IW is going to do very well coming off GotG vol. 2, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther. It's easily the best lead-in lineup to an Avengers film so far.

That said, I think Wonder Woman is going to help JL do a lot better than I was expecting it to just a few months ago.

Doesn't mean anything. Wonder Woman being in justice league isn't going to save a potentially bad movie. Epecially one with characters no one has seen yet and a follow up to BvS.
So if we presuppose that ustice league is bad, it won't out gross a movie that is presupposed to be good. Hot take out on a limb right there.

Infinity War.

Seeing the Guardians meet the Avengers is going to be like seeing the Avengers become the Avengers.

Plus, you know, THANOS.

kmfdmpig

Infinity War will. GoTG + Avengers + Spider-Man is a potent combination.

I think Justice League will do better than many think, assuming it's good, as WW has helped improve people's perception of what DC is doing, but Infinity War is combining a lot of successful franchises together, which should help it quite a bit. JL, on the other hand, while it benefits from WW's success, will be dragged down a bit by BvS and MoS, which were divisive to say the least.

Infinity War

That said if Justice League is good (and I think the trailers have been pretty solid) it should do big business as well. Look how rough Batman v Superman was and it still got to almost $900m. A good Justice League is going to easily pas a Bil

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
IW is launching on a Summer and will have every MCU hero of the past 10 years together for the first time.

JL is launching in November and is coming from not so well received movies like BvS and Suicide Squad. WW may have calm the things down a little tho.

EDIT: also as noticed above, JL is launching a month before Star Wars, it won't have long legs.

Infinity War is a $400M budget mashup of everything in the MCU. Regardless of quality, there's no way it won't make more than Justice League.

That said, Marvel Studios movies are always overestimated to an extent. Although even if it falls under estimations, it's gotta at least outdo the first Avengers.

And I don't expect Justice League will hit $1.5 billion. But it also doesn't need to.

I feel like the hype for Infinity Wars would work against it.

Like, it's 10 years in the making... How many things can live up to the expectations of 10 years of build up?

Infinity War.

The lowest grossing Avengers film, Age of Ultron, has a worldwide gross about 30% higher than the highest grossing DC film ever. Justice League would have to be Dark Knight levels of good and have that level of hype going in to get near even Age of Ultron numbers, which is the low bar for an Avengers film right now.

duckroll

how is justice league potentially bad and infinity war isn't

Well one is the sequel to a 27% RT film, by the same director and writers. The other is a sequel to a 75% RT film, from the directors and writers whose last two films were 89% and 90% on RT respectively. The odds seem to match.

I'm saying this as someone who actually liked BvS. It's pretty obvious that unless you ignore any sort of larger critic vibes or general opinions, that Justice League has a far higher chance of not matching the taste of the larger audience out there, than Infinity War.

It's logically Justice League.

MoS 668 55% RT
BvS 873 27% RT
SS. 745 25% RT
WW. 779 92% RT still climbing.

Even bad movies in the DCU still generate good money.

Justice League is coming out right after the great word of mouth from WW.
It is the first official team up movie in the DC universe.

MCU movies are all frontloaded and die off right away. Imagine if the first 3 movies had those RT scores there would be no MCU.

The MCU has stagnated in sales. DCU is now growing and its proven with the success of a minority hero.

If BP can do Wonder Woman numbers then IW has a chance vs a "good" JL movie.

Only way Infinity War earns more is if JL is a bad movie.

Ithil

MoS 668 55% RT
BvS 873 27% RT
SS. 745 25% RT

Justice League is coming out right after the great word of mouth from WW.
It is the first official team up movie in the DC universe.

MCU movies are all frontloaded and die off right away. Imagine if the first 3 movies had those RT scores there would be no MCU.

The MCU has stagnated in sales. DCU is now growing and its proven with the success of a minority hero.

If BP can do Wonder Woman numbers then IW has a chance vs a "good" JL movie.

Only way Infinity War earns more is if JL is a bad movie.
Woof.

Justice League or Avengers: Infinity War?

Now I'm hyped for both movies mind you, and I hope they both do well. Just wanted to see which one you think will bring in better numbers, and why.

Personally I think Avengers will edge out JL because a lot of people have invested their time in watching the MCU movies and will want to know how this plays out.

Infinity War is likely going to challenge for the slot behind Avatar.

MoS 668 55% RT
BvS 873 27% RT
SS. 745 25% RT

Yup. But Wonder Woman has shown us that a good movie can pull in lots of money. However...

It is the first team up movie.of the DC universe.

Wouldn't Batman v Superman be the first DC team up movie?

The MCU has stagnated in sales
If that is true, how did Guardians of the Galaxy 2 make more money than the first one?
How has Spider-Man Homecoming already outgrossed the last Spider-Man film domestically?

duckroll

People said that about Age of Ultron, too.

People also said Age of Ultron would top Star Wars 7.

Don't worry, when Infinity War falls short of the ridiculous expectations fans have for the boxoffice, they can always go "well of course, people are waiting for the REAL climax in Avengers 4!" :p

Top Bottom