• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicle Site Updated w/ message from Mr. Hino~

RpgN

Nice. If it's done right it should be a big plus. It would be cool if more companies follow this online play thing.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
BlazingDarkness said:
er no
i like my RPGs long and epic, so it's a positive for me
MMORPGs are endless and boring as fuck.
Your argument is contradicting itself, since MMORPGs are long and epic apparently.

speedpop said:
What does the bold text have anything to do with a positive for a console RPG? If you want several days of fun, just load up an MMORPG.
I have zero interest in mmos...dont really know what you are babbling about

speedpop

BlazingDarkness said:
well i can safely say i've never played an MMORPG in which i thoroughly enjoyed myself.
So why the fuck are you playing 100 hour long RPGs when the story itself is 20-30 hours in length and the rest is consorted to tedium leveling extravagandas? Oh that's right, you're just another ignorant person who doesn't give a flying fuck unless it contains Japanese art designs. Anyone can look at the Japanese/Korean MMO threads posted over the past few months and see the pathetic attention thrown on them, which I warn others about how shitty they are, just to know how shallow they are when the threads disappear into the abyss a few days later.

nelsonroyale said:
I have zero interest in mmos...dont really know what you are babbling about
Why? Because they leech your life away like 100 hour RPGs? Or that they require no skill and constant button mashing formulas like every other Japanese and Western RPG released over the years?

It's time for GAF to wake the fuck up and smell the roses on their hatred and ignorance of MMOs, yet somehow proclaim their love for "epic" RPGs that consist of tedious hours put in place to make the game last that much longer when it's roughly the same as grinding in an MMO.

speedpop said:
So why the fuck are you playing 100 hour long RPGs when the story itself is 20-30 hours in length and the rest is consorted to tedium leveling extravagandas? Oh that's right, you're just another ignorant person who doesn't give a flying fuck unless it contains Japanese art designs. Anyone can look at the Japanese/Korean MMO threads posted over the past few months and see the pathetic attention thrown on them, which I warn others about how shitty they are, just to know how shallow they are when the threads disappear into the abyss a few days later.

Why? Because they leech your life away like 100 hour RPGs? Or that they require no skill and constant button mashing formulas like every other Japanese and Western RPG released over the years?

It's time for GAF to wake the fuck up and smell the roses on their hatred and ignorance of MMOs, yet somehow proclaim their love for "epic" RPGs that consist of tedious hours put in place to make the game last that much longer when it's roughly the same as grinding in an MMO.

what the hell are you flipping out for?
if i wanna play an MMORPG, i'll play one, i don't need you telling me what to play, sod off.

rykomatsu

speedpop said:
So why the fuck are you playing 100 hour long RPGs when the story itself is 20-30 hours in length and the rest is consorted to tedium leveling extravagandas?

so...which MMOs have multiple endings? or for that matter, endings?

DrPirate

Banned
speedpop said:

I like long epic RPG's. I'm sure I would love MMO's too and I'd get instantly addicted.

I'm just way too much of a cheap ass to pay for one monthly though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
speedpop said:

Someone's a drama queen.

speedpop

DrPirate said:
I like long epic RPG's. I'm sure I would love MMO's too and I'd get instantly addicted.

I'm just way too much of a cheap ass to pay for one monthly though.
If only more people on GAF could admit this just as you have done. You have my respect.

Obviously my mission to smack the hive was a success and proves to not only myself, but also a few people, that Sony RPG-exclusive fans are a tad too touchy :lol

Nolan.

speedpop said:

I don't like Mmo's mainly because I just don't ''get'' it yet. I don't really like over-padded rpg sidequests because a lot of the times they are not a joy to play and simply empty. Thankfully though most rpg's can be completed without having to dip into side-quests or maxing out characters so you still have the option. Saying that however there have been games where the sidequests were'nt much of a drag as I usually find them. So it varies, as long as it's enjoyable 100hrs isn't a bad thing. Though if it's like your typical level 5 game and it doesn't really break much ground then 100hrs is serious overkill.

ANYWAYS... now that's over with :lol

who's having WKC at their booth? Level-5 doesn't have it listed. and Sony doesn't either on their site [even though it says next update is at/on TGS 2008].

hopefully someone goes searching for it. ;o

RpgN

DMPrince said:
ANYWAYS... now that's over with :lol

who's having WKC at their booth? Level-5 doesn't have it listed. and Sony doesn't either on their site [even though it says next update is at/on TGS 2008].

hopefully someone goes searching for it. ;o

It could be one of the unannounced games at sony's booth.

Dragon

Banned
lol@speedpop

"You have my respect for not bashing MMORPGs."

MMORPGs have NO story from the three that I have had limited exposure too, hence my disgust with them.

But thanks for shitting up the thread, one of the few RPGs I'm interested in, and I have to deal with a troll who thinks it's okay to shit up a thread because MMORPGs don't get respect lol. Go to fucking Jerusalem with your fucking crusade.

antiloop

speedpop said:
If only more people on GAF could admit this just as you have done. You have my respect.

Obviously my mission to smack the hive was a success and proves to not only myself, but also a few people, that Sony RPG-exclusive fans are a tad too touchy :lol

Who cares what you like or not.

Just as you prefer MMO:s there are people out there preferring a good story and characters in a JRPG or a WRPG.
Paying monthly to chat and grind. :lol

Not for me.

RpgN said:
It could be one of the unannounced games at sony's booth.

hope not. why would it be unannounced? Do they plan on doing it big and just reveal that the game will be different from what we saw + added features?

Nolan. said:
I don't like Mmo's mainly because I just don't ''get'' it yet. I don't really like over-padded rpg sidequests because a lot of the times they are not a joy to play and simply empty. Thankfully though most rpg's can be completed without having to dip into side-quests or maxing out characters so you still have the option. Saying that however there have been games where the sidequests were'nt much of a drag as I usually find them. So it varies, as long as it's enjoyable 100hrs isn't a bad thing. Though if it's like your typical level 5 game and it doesn't really break much ground then 100hrs is serious overkill.

so far xenogears and ff are the only jrpgs Ive played anything like that many hours on...no other jrpgs have held me for that length...DQ8 did keep me occupied for a while though

RpgN

DMPrince said:
hope not. why would it be unannounced? Do they plan on doing it big and just reveal that the game will be different from what we saw + added features?

Killzone 2 is an unannounced game for the Japanese market too. With that, they mean press and a clear release date (though famitsu has that scoop by now). And I'm sure they're planning on giving this game the full attention.

DMPrince said:

well there's the whole online thing to reveal
and the game got that little sub title thing to as well
so it probably is one of the unannounced ones, to be revealed in an elaborate fashion (it being like the biggest holiday title for japan)

FreezeSSC

speedpop said:

No, because MMO'S SUCK.

RpgN

SolidSnakex said:
No it's not, Sony even has a Japanese website up for it.

Really? I thought someone mentioned it wasn't at that 11 announcements thread. Hmmm...

BlazingDarkness said:
well there's the whole online thing to reveal
and the game got that little sub title thing to as well
so it probably is one of the unannounced ones, to be revealed in an elaborate fashion (it being like the biggest holiday title for japan)

on the JP Playstation.com site reads as it's just a site thing.

"Next Update TGS2008" we'll see how things goes in the coming days.

Riskbreaker23 said:
My prediction is that you will be able to do co-op online mission with your custom character to get material for synthesis.

this is a level 5 game so you gotta be combining stuff in some way and online co-op monster hunts would give people a reason to invest in there custom character.

many, including myself, would have just made the custom character and used them until a better story character joined the party (if you can remove the custom character from the party that is).

if level 5 were to give the CC an important role like being the only character you could use online, they would be come much valuable to the team.

also this system would allow for a lot of DLC in the form of new armor, weapons, and missions

just quoting myself so that i can see if i was right (chances looking good) come thursday.

Riskbreaker23 said:
just quoting myself so that i can see if i was right (chances looking good) come thursday.

random dungeons with lots to loot would be swell.

I wonder if they'll support Voice/text chat. not having that will be a crime ;o

Ploid 3.0

BlazingDarkness said:
what the hell are you flipping out for?
if i wanna play an MMORPG, i'll play one, i don't need you telling me what to play, sod off.

Also MMORPG's have economies that get on my nerves (constantly moving, making money gathering very tedious), grieving, bottle necks, are built around time sinks, and the list goes on. You can't just pick up a mmorpg and be productive, you need guilds, lots of time, and a lot of patience because the designers use a carrot on a stick practice that keeps you moving with little rewards, and enjoyment. Well maybe it's just FFXI, I haven't played another MMORPG and I don't want to. Also add the fact that you have to pay for MMORPGs each month.

I've been dying for a multiplayer online RPG. I wanted FF12 to have online, that would have been great. I'm now very interested in this game, and I hope ff13 also have online co-op.

Edit:

About the wasting your life away with a 100hr rpg, maybe there's so much fun stuff to do it would take you 100 hours to experience it all. I would like people to complain about that for any genre I like to play, especially if it's multiplayer. You won't use up all those 100 hours in one sitting, it could take you months. It took me 2 years to finish FF7 (although I restarted around 2 times). It will take you months to get level 35 in resistance co op for one job I hear. That stuff is good. More gameplay for your money.

ksamedi

speedpop said:

Oh really? Then why do I find MMO's boring while I love RPG's. Must be because they are not the same thing. MMO's are boring as hell.

ayrkain

Don't like MMO's 'cause I don't generally like people. Especially people like me. :D

Can't wait for more info on this game though. The wait for TGS has now become torturous.

Durante

speedpop said:
Or that they require no skill and constant button mashing formulas like every other Japanese and Western RPG released over the years?
Ah, so you have no fucking idea at all what you're talking about. Good to know.

speedpop said:
Trying to cast the utter bullshit in your previous post (compare and contrast eg. the line quoted above) as some kind of fanboy bait is pathetic to an almost Dyackian degree.

Vard

I haven't been following this thread. Is this the latest confirmed WKC update?

100 hours of gameplay
1080p display
Play online with other people

Anything else worth noting or more specifics?

Ploid 3.0

speedpop said:

You're so cool!

Ploid 3.0

zoku88 said:
I don't play MMOs because.. they're just a tad boring and shallow to me :lol :lol

When you're actually doing stuff with friends that have objectives and a point, MMOs are fun. When you're sitting around, waiting and doing nothing exciting it's the worst thing ever.

Also it's not always about the rewards, but being rewarded for stuff helps a lot. It's the reason to do the objectives. Helping friends that need a sticker in LBP, or helping someone in this thread take down OMGBBQ monster in White Night story for the awesome mage club that look shiny.

There are virtually zero MMOs where you can even level to max (without concentrated powerleveling efforts, usually by many people) within 100 hours. 100 hours in which you can finish every little detail of most "epic" RPGs. RPGs that you play, yourself, at your own pace, without havling to rely on a massive amount of other people with a similar schedule.

People who complete console RPGs to 100% are the "hardcore." This might mean they have playtimes (depending on game) from 100-600 hours. Anything near 600 being really extreme (hello SO3). A "hardcore" MMO player will have, say, in the course of 4 years, playtimes that span multiple months, and in really special cases, well over a year. They're so totally comparable!

And that is for relatively mild western MMOs.

Also, RNGs on loot tables are typically much more forgiving in console RPGs where applicable.

Lain

I don't understand what is good about a 100hr RPG.
The story never last 100 hours. The gameplay never stays fresh for over 100 hours.
The only reason I keep playing for long amount of times is for leveling up the cast of characters or the weapons (fuck you Rogue Galaxy and your shitty weapon leveling/synthesize system).
I do it because I'm a bit obsessive about it, but I fully know that it isn't fun (I mean, for RG I was forced to run in circles for hours to level up the weapons and be able to synthesize new ones with them), so I'm a bit baffled by people happy to read 100 hour RPG.
It's not like you're getting more bang for your bucks (as some of you like to say), you're only getting a padded game.

I'll say again, I hope with WKC Level5 shows they fixed all their past mistakes, especially the ones in RG, since WKC to me has always looked and felt like the "sequel" to RG, because I wouldn't be happy with another 100 hour RPG like RG.

Lain said:
I don't understand what is good about a 100hr RPG.
The story never last 100 hours. The gameplay never stays fresh for over 100 hours.
The only reason I keep playing for long amount of times is for leveling up the cast of characters or the weapons (fuck you Rogue Galaxy and your shitty weapon leveling/synthesize system).
I do it because I'm a bit obsessive about it, but I fully know that it isn't fun (I mean, for RG I was forced to run in circles for hours to level up the weapons and be able to synthesize new ones with them), so I'm a bit baffled by people happy to read 100 hour RPG.
It's not like you're getting more bang for your bucks (as some of you like to say), you're only getting a padded game.

I'll say again, I hope with WKC Level5 shows they fixed all their past mistakes, especially the ones in RG, since WKC to me has always looked and felt like the "sequel" to RG, because I wouldn't be happy with another 100 hour RPG like RG.

The problem in this case is that RG is, generally, a really shitty game.

Top Bottom