• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is "Kid Icarus" and other similar video game titles

Where the fuck was Metal Gear Solid? There was Metal Gear Rex, Metal Gear Ray, Metal Gear Zeke, Metal Gear Sahelanthropus, etc. but no Metal Gear Solid. Was Solid Snake a Metal Gear the whole time?

Kyzer

Banned
I just realized how fitting Resident Evil is to 1 and sorta to 4 (because you do get to enter an evil resident)... but 2 and 3 kinda isn't since technically resident only applies to a single housing right?

As long as evil resides there, it is resident evil
I think youre thinking of the word residence which is housing, resident is the person living there

HeatBoost

So if the games are all 忍者外伝 then where's 忍者本伝?

And why didn't they just call it "Ninja: Legend of the Dragon Sword"? Why the extra, untranslated Japanese?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, I guess I was wrong. The tournament in Street Fighter is called World Martial Arts Tournament, unless I'm mistaken?

As long as evil resides there, it is resident evil
I think youre thinking of the word residence which is housing, resident is the person living there

Ah shit you're right.

Speaking of resident evil, it's funny how Resident Evil Gaiden is non-canon when usually gaiden games are considered canon in a sense that they allow extra content in the setting.

Now, does anybody know why the name Slap Fight was given to a shoot 'em up?

slap-fight-1.png

Wait, that interface is very Salamander-ish.

I don't remember what the Quake in Quake is.

Id pretty much had the rock album mentality when naming their games - and I kinda like it when game companies do that. Quake is just a kick ass sounding word. Just like Doom. I like it when a game's name depicts the atmosphere of the game while not being explicit about the content itself.
This isn't quite correct. Quake was originally the name of a character in a planned, but unreleased game advertised with Commander Keen, and the name percolated down through multiple cancelled designs until landing on the Quake we know.

http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_Quake

Where the fuck was Metal Gear Solid? There was Metal Gear Rex, Metal Gear Ray, Metal Gear Zeke, Metal Gear Sahelanthropus, etc. but no Metal Gear Solid. Was Solid Snake a Metal Gear the whole time?
It refers to both the main character Solid Snake, as well as the move from 2d sprites in Metal Gear 1 and 2 to "solid" 3d objects. It isn't meant to be a literal name of a Metal Gear walker variant.

I always thought the "resident evil" is the t virus,that lives in every body it infects.

"Resident evil" is just a lame name the NA marketing team came up with because they looked at it and saw it as a scary game in a evil house. Bio-hazard is a better title overall because when you find the lab under the mansion it fits a lot more.

luulubuu

why is it called World of Warcraft if you only do raids

who is Demon and why are his souls so important

who are the smash brothers.

tsab

One of the plot points of Fahrenheit is that it get colder and colder as the story progresses and Fahrenheit is simply how Americans measure temperature (the only major country that doesn't use Celsius btw.). Ironically is the US version not even called Fahrenheit.

In the US it's called indigo prophecy (referring to the indigo child from the game)

That's was my point :p
I think it should have been named Indigo Prophecy in Europe too.

Why are Schwarzenegger and Stalone called Contras while fighting aliens in the Amazon?

Fusion is where she gets infused with Metroid DNA OP, the exact opposite :p and as there is no game after Fusion, she still remains infused. But to say she's "part Metroid" is like saying I'm 1/64 Cherokee and calling myself Native American.

So you're saying you're a senator from Massachusetts?

Ritzboof

i think parasite eve is a good example of this

i dont know a whole lot about the game, but the antagonist is this wacky thing called the mitochondria, and i think its supposed to represent nature to an extent. the main character ayas sister melissa transforms into the main antagonist, mitochondria eve, who wants to destroy every human on the planet because theyre useless parasites

i think its a bit complex, but theyre sisters and theyre both eves. if mitochondria eve is a thing and humans are parasites, that means aya is parasite eve. the game doesnt say this outright, but thats obviously the idea, and its fun to infer

rekameohs

Banned
Metroid is the Chozo word meaning "ultimate warrior" and was assigned to the species upon completion of the bioweapon project. Basically Samus herself is now a Metroid in two senses of the word: she has the creatures' DNA grafted into her and she is the ultimate warrior in the galaxy by her own merit.
The true reason for the name "Metroid" is that the developers thought of the name "Metro Android" (because of the subterranean setting and the robotic protagonist) for their game and spliced the words together. When they later decided to make the protagonist an actual character, a human in a suit, and a woman, they decided to name her after Pele's real name because she can turn into a ball (no, seriously; I'm not bullshitting you), and to call the enemies in the final area Metroids.

But yes, that is the in-universe explanation.

Boss Doggie

For a game called Left 4 Dead, you sure aren't allowed to leave someone for dead unless you want to screw your team big time.

I'm pretty sure Kid Icarus is the only half decent example so far.

Nah, Disgaea, Destiny, etc. are all pretty good too.

PSqueak

Banned

I always thought the idea was that the game was like "Metal Gear: Solid", "Metal Gear" as in the franchise, "Solid" as in this is Solid Snake's story, but of course, that doesn't fall in with any of the sequels.

Forkball

Disgaea can be explained. Dis- means "away" or "not" and gaea is earth, so it's insinuating that the world is apart from earth.

Demon's Souls. Which demon? Which souls? I'm so confused.

Wiped89

Nope, all official sources have always called it Pokémon.

The only time I saw Pocket Monster being mentioned was in a Nintendo gaming magazine and maybe one of those children's book that they released back in day.

It used to say Pocket Monsters on the back of the early game cases. I'm sure it did.

Boss Doggie

Where are exactly the animals crossing, and why

I thought it was a reference to say, a pedestrian crossing, which kinda denotes suburban living

I honestly think it makes more sense than the Japanese title (Animals of the Forest), since you don't really live in a forest

luulubuu

I thought it was a reference to say, a pedestrian crossing, which kinda denotes suburban living

I honestly think it makes more sense than the Japanese title (Animals of the Forest), since you don't really live in a forest

Makes sense

Then

Who are the Damned and why their shadows are important

who is Killer and why he is Dead

Why No More Heroes

Why is it called the Witch and the Hundred Knight if you play as just one knight
why

For a game called Left 4 Dead, you sure aren't allowed to leave someone for dead unless you want to screw your team big time.

Doesn't that refer to the fact that you and your team were left for dead and you have to make your way out. That and
In a level, someone has to sacrifice themselves being left 4 dead.

Boss Doggie

Doesn't that refer to the fact that you and your team were left for dead and you have to make your way out. That and
In a level, someone has to sacrifice themselves being left 4 dead.

I was gonna say that (the last part), but is it really being left for dead if it was voluntary?

tsundoku

The tree density in those games is absolutely that of a small town in a clearing in a forest.

I was gonna say that (the last part), but is it really being left for dead if it was voluntary?

Well...I don't know. I say yes because the person has to be left behind to die but they choose to make the sacrifice. Still though the concept of being left 4 dead is what the game is directly about (No other survivors, have to contact the military or make your own escape)

Why is called Mario Party if nobody is having fun

It starts of being fun. Until the end where..

Zha723D.gif

Unai

Two games have been released and not a single mention of a "darksider" was made. You can guess that the darksiders are the nephilims, but that's still just a guess.

Id pretty much had the rock album mentality when naming their games - and I kinda like it when game companies do that. Quake is just a kick ass sounding word. Just like Doom. I like it when a game's name depicts the atmosphere of the game while not being explicit about the content itself.
I like single name game titles.

Doom
Quake
Rage
Halo (as bungie intended)
Destiny
Unreal

Top Bottom