• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the best stoic actor today?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A stoic actor as defined by someone with minimal facial expression that possesses a high degree of gravitas. Some examples...

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL3BsYXlcL2E3NzQ3Mjg1LTk4MzctNGRkMC1hMWRkLWQ0ZDg5ZTZhYjQyNi0xOTIwLTEwODAucG5nIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjo4Mjh9fX0=

gus-fring-breaking-bad.jpg

Sicario-Benicio-Del-Toro-Images-05334-1024x576.jpg

Are there any actors (under 40?) today that fit this description?

Wildebeest

"Stoic" in popular culture often normally associated with UK and Japanese culture, where "cultured" people seem to be ashamed to overreact emotionally in public. US action heroes are more like what I would call "laconic" in that they have very strong judgemental and even emotional opinions, that they have no problem airing in public, but they are seen as being "strong silent" types who deliver their judgement with a single mocking line or catchphrase while people around them might be chatty motor mouths.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Michael B Jordan?
Na he hasnt really got it. I was going to say Tom Hardy but that man's older than me, and I'm old, I never realised :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I honestly can't think of one under 40, if I had to go with some in 2024 it'd have to be Ryan Gosling, as Toots Toots Said, maybe :pie_thinking:

Other than that 🤷‍♂️

They're all mostly whimsical.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's just not a common character type these days. The stoic lone wolf type passed on as a male archetype and is more of a female one now where it comes across more as "bitchy".

The 40-60 year age range is hot for men now because PEDs keep them going and cosmetic surgery keeps em looking, maybe not young, but experienced, a necessary quality for the stoic act.

Younger actors that try it, maybe Travis Fimmel, Charlie Hunnam, and Alexander Dreymon need to grow into it. Alexander Skarsgard and Antony Starr are deep into their 40s now.

No surprise these are all non americans.

Puscifer

Will Smith, he literally has the same face in everything.

Edit: missed the part about age

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I like the guy who plays Hua Wuque on Handsome Siblings. Can't pronounce his name but he is hot!

rm082e

I'm not sure I could actually name any actors under 40 at this point, other than Tom Holland. I don't even know what appeals to the young men of today...

Soodanim

"Stoic" in popular culture often normally associated with UK and Japanese culture, where "cultured" people seem to be ashamed to overreact emotionally in public.
I've never heard of this definition/misunderstanding of what stoicism is, it's always either been a lean towards logic over emotion or, on a more philosophical level, accepting what you can't change (where the lack of emotion comes in) and instead focusing on what you can change.

thefool

I think an interest aspect of this is that people these days look younger and actors still look very boyish.

Barry Keoghan pretty much has one expression so he could perhaps fit the description, but at the same time he really doesn't because he looks boyish even tho he's 31.

shutterstock_editorial_10371225cc.jpg

Clint was 33 when he filmed Fistfull of Dollars

922fist.promo_.jpg

Ryan was great playing the weird loner.

only-god-forgives-2.jpg

Wildebeest

I've never heard of this definition/misunderstanding of what stoicism is, it's always either been a lean towards logic over emotion or, on a more philosophical level, accepting what you can't change (where the lack of emotion comes in) and instead focusing on what you can change.
Few of these terms colloquially mean what they mean if you study the subject. Epicurean doesn't mean you scoff like Mr Creosote and go out of your way to eat the meat of endangered animals. Cynic doesn't really mean that you think nobody cares about anyone other than their bank balance, and you hate everything. It's called demonisation. Oddly enough, the only ancient philosophical school that doesn't get demonised is Platonism, with Platonic meaning a sort of purer form of love. How does that work out?

Top Bottom