• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whore of the Orient gameplay footage leaked

Suairyu

Banned
This thread is full of great examples of why enthusiasts can't be trusted with early looks at products when it comes to tech.

That said, from a gameplay point of view, it looked uninspired. Also, won't buy the game out of principle due to shitty Team Bondi work conditions.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
People are criticizing the visuals of a game that is more than likely still in pre-alpha? Ok.

Setting and title are very interesting, gameplay didn't seem to exciting.

Busty

Banned
So it's literally LA Noire but set in Shanghai?

I would have bought this day one...., even with that Brendan stink all over it I'm a hopeless LA Noire addict and I need another fix.

Shame it will never see the light of day.

;(

ArjanN

So, at this early stage, it's literally an LA Noire mod.

Yeah, but a lot of people here don't understand that's how prototype/pre-alpha stuff works.

Would you care to explain what it means?

It sounds dreadful enough that I haven't wanted to check any screens or footage.
I appreciate that they're doing a period piece, but wallowing in pejoratives seems unnecessary.

'Whore Of The Orient' is a nickname for Shanghai.

Like how New York is called 'The Big Apple'.

I know this has been pointed out but wow you guys think games go from idea to final product in 2 days? There's something called janky unfinished middle ground.

smdh.

charsace

Looks good for alpha footage. I hope its not a fucking white guy as the main protagonist though. And if it is they are gonna need to have a really damn good explanation as to why he's white.

I love LA Noire, but this looks like it wouldn't be any fun to play.

Team Bondi took so long to finish LA Noire that this game will probably not be made. It looks so unpolished.

EXGN

I bet Bondi is pissed that this is the first we're seeing of the game, not gonna leave a great first impression. Obviously the game looks rough but the setting looks like it could have potential.

Qassim

This is why game developers don't show stuff early on. People just don't have any idea about game development and the various stages it goes through.

FluxWaveZ

This is why game developers don't show stuff early on. People just don't have any idea about game development and the various stages it goes through.

I'm surprised. Thought more people here would have taken that into consideration knowing the nature of this leaked gameplay footage.

Interested in seeing more from the game. Wonder if they'll actually change the title or not, but I don't want them to.

Man...the amount of people going "wow this game looks like garbage, LOL what a POS" in this thread is just....ughh. You're all smarter than that, come on. It's pre-alpha footage.

Yes, exactly.

pakkit

Banned
Seriously that looks TERRIBLE, even for an early build it looks really bad :/

No it doesn't. For a build not meant for public eyes, it looks like it's on course.

I'm excited that it look like it's building on LA Noire. But the combat is the least interesting part about these types of games.

Worse is that people can't understand that things improve over time. If people are so tired of cinematic trailers and CGI trailers, they need to stop judging this kind of footage.

Is it the same with Kickstarter developers showing footage from janky in progress stuff?

Strike

Nice environments, but can't really comment on much of anything else as it looks very early and is most likely placeholder (that is if this ever gets made).

FFS NEOGaf, you know what pre alpha means. Don't be stupid.

tumblr_m7wi7bNTfh1rtv01so1_250.gif

Was this pre alpha too?

Setting and concept seems interesting.

Being an early build, it's going to improve. I think they'll likely be knocking together a concept to lure publishers and you don't need to waste large amounts of money polishing a project that may go nowhere.

The title will never fly. It just won't.

Gameplay and animations look like shit. Under normal circumstances one would give allowance for the game to improve but this is another McNamara game, and McNamara games have shitty gameplay and even shittier controls, that's just the way things are, McNamara games basically hit pre-alpha and stay at pre-alpha.
The whole "oh it's just pre-alpha guys" is just a fucking con job. Tons of games look rough as shit and never improve, then you get people saying "oh it's a gem that's rough around the edges, hopefully we get a sequel so they can polish it up", meanwhile people get a piece of shit in their hands. Don't sell me a piece of shit on fucking "potential".

As cool as their face tech was, their body animations are janky as hell. Still interested though.

Facial animations they just record, body animations require good animators and they have none, anything that requires artistry and craftmanship just isn't what you can expect from a McNamara game.

weevles

Looks like LA Noire in a different city and more karate chopping.

I hope they aren't planning to making melee a central part of gameplay. LA Noire's melee felt so clumsy... :p

Top Bottom