• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are we paying for online services?

Linkark07

Banned
Because people don't work for free and infrastructure cost money.
Also at least on XBL 24/7 365 on staff for tech problems and attacks on the network.

I don't mind paying as long as its good enough.

[edit]

Please stop comparing it to steam, Valve has billions and no-one to report to so they can spend and not ask for anything in return.

What about EA with Origin or Ubisoft with Uplay?

If you want to compare console online services to PC gaming for the sake of discussing your platform of choice, that's fine, but the free online alternatives for console weren't up to par. When the gold standard for free online on consoles is PS3 & Wii U, I don't find it surprising that people are willing to pay 5 bucks or less a month on something more premium.

ElNino

I mean that's kinda the *real* question here. Why can Valve get by without charging an entrance fee while Sony, Microsoft, and now Nintendo can't apparently?
Because Steam has (potentially) a march larger audience and they (Valve) have decided to absorb the operational cost of some things in order to make that audience as large as possible so that they can make their revenue off of the individual transactions.

I mean that's kinda the *real* question here. Why can Valve get by without charging an entrance fee while Sony, Microsoft, and now Nintendo can't apparently?

I can only speculate but aside from the obvious closed platform/"because they'll pay for it";
  • Since they sell consoles at breakeven/loss to establish market share, they probably make up the profit with online fees
  • Larger research/development costs since they make more proprietery hardware/software while the Valve really only handles the Steam client
  • They probably take more of an active role in offering devs their online network to encourage them to come on their platform

Valve has plenty of R&D and plays with a ton of hardware, some of which is never seen. They're like Nintendo in that regard, and the stories you hear of lots of prototype devices. They handle more than just a steam client.

They make a TON of tools available to developers as well. For free.

Because people don't work for free and infrastructure cost money.
Also at least on XBL 24/7 365 on staff for tech problems and attacks on the network.

I don't mind paying as long as its good enough.

[edit]

Please stop comparing it to steam, Valve has billions and no-one to report to so they can spend and not ask for anything in return.

They get 30% in return. Just like MS and Sony and Nintendo do. But let's keep pretending console makers aren't fleecing you so you feel validated in your purchase.

They clearly do SO much more for those dollars on consoles! Especially considering how many fewer games have dedicated servers there. Or how much slower on average their CDNs are compared to Steam or Origin. Or how much shittier their rental content is in comparison to even a typical humble bundle, which gives you keys you own. The free games I've gotten on Uplay or Origin over the years also generally top a typical haul from you rentals, and they're permanent/owned too.

psyfi

Banned
Because we're not given much of a choice.

I do think it's an issue worth pressing, though. It'd be interesting to organize a boycott, even a temporary one. "A month without Gold." We can make a list of games that can be played offline, even highlight local multiplayer. I'm sure some devs would support it as it gained steam. Something worth thinking about.

Sorcerer

If I could sell people air, I totally would.

Kiss beat you to it:

47795_0_wide_ver1487699628.jpg

Teran

Because people lapped it up. Most people believe they're actually getting dedicated servers for their games. It is what it is, and when Sony made that jump it officially made it okay for Nintendo to go that route.

The perpetuation of many bad practices in this industry are pretty much owed to consumers just biting the bullet and rolling with the punches rather than taking a stand. It takes very extreme cases for gamers to just be like "nope". Witcher 3 bullshots? GOTY. Zelda downgrade? Initial shipment pretty much sold out. Gamers remind me of smokers, where they'll pick up a cigarette they dropped on the street and continue smoking it, but they'd never dream of eating something like a sandwich they dropped.

It is what it is, but things like this can build and reach a point where people are just like fuck it. I think if PCs continue to become more accessible, we may see quite a significant migration.

Nestunt

first post nailed it

a company experimented with the concept, people voted with their wallets and that is the end of the story.

Well there are costs for running the stores and networks even if some games use p2p. Whether the network's quality justifies the cost is another thing. Another question is whether they could offer it for free, which obviously they could, but they're a business so of course they're not if they can get away with it.

don't know how people are defending it, or downplaying how much it costs (pay it for 5 years you're paying more than your console), saying you pay it begrudgingly because you don't have a choice, that I understand

Console gamers clearly don't care that much about it. They cared about the used market, the always online DRM stuff, but apparently an online paywall is fine.
I don't like it, especially on a console like the Switch where you got a very small amount of online games, but I've been a PS+ subscriber since the PS3 era. I just like the immense collection of games I got by now and the discounts are also mostly good.
So I'm part of the problem, I just pay my yearly 50 euro and be done with it. I also never heard any complaints about it from my very casual (gaming) friends.

I feel like these threads always pop up every week and it's mostly PC gamers complaining about it.

The big question is when publishers are going to voice their irritation by it. A game like COD is probably making Sony lots and lots of new PS+ subscribers every year, while for Activision, an online paywall limits their userbase and people who can buy DLC. That's a part of the online paywall discussion we rarely hear. I can't imagine that games with online focus are happy with these online paywalls.

You think that covers all the cost?
Also that 30% is for cert and getting on the store, being on the psblog, having a yt trailer on playstation channel etc.
Paying people that work with devs and pubs on a day to day basis.

are you serious? 30% of EVERY xbox/ps game, we're talking about BILLIONS of dollars a year here

What about EA with Origin or Ubisoft with Uplay?
Market has determent that pc players don't want to pay for those services on PC.
Because the market leader Valve is free so the rest has to be as well.
Believe me if steam was not free then Origin and uplay would not be free either.
They clearly do SO much more for those dollars on consoles! Especially considering how many fewer games have dedicated servers there. Or how much slower on average their CDNs are compared to Steam or Origin. Or how much shittier their rental content is in comparison to even a typical humble bundle, which gives you keys you own. The free games I've gotten on Uplay or Origin over the years also generally top a typical haul from you rentals, and they're permanent/owned too.
I'm not saying current console infrastructure can't/should be better IT SHOULD BE a lot better.

We are talking about WHY you pay, you pay because the market leader at the time MS, made it so and people just followed.

Tagyhag

Because you have to.

Just be like the other people and lie to yourself that it's pro-consumer, you'll feel better in the long run.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
How else would they claw back the loss they make on their television (Sony) or phone (MS) business?

ITT: People who don't understand economics or IT/telecom infrastructure.

I appreciate the sentiment about multiplayer being behind a paywall, but some of these comments may as well read: "Why should I pay for fuel? I already own the car!"

Because Steam has (potentially) a march larger audience and they (Valve) have decided to absorb the operational cost of some things in order to make that audience as large as possible so that they can make their revenue off of the individual transactions.

because Valve is not a monopoly on PC gaming, just how are they going to start charging online? people can play plenty of PC games on origin/uplay/battle.net etc etc and not use Steam

If you want to compare console online services to PC gaming for the sake of discussing your platform of choice, that's fine, but the free online alternatives for console weren't up to par. When the gold standard for free online on consoles is PS3 & Wii U, I don't find it surprising that people are willing to pay 5 bucks or less a month on something more premium.
What is significantly better between PS3/Wii U and, say, PS4 and XBone? Genuinely curious - I haven't noticed a huge amount of differences in the online play between the consoles I own, whether I'm paying for online or not. What is worth the premium to you?

Linkark07

Banned
Market has determent that pc players don't want to pay for those services on PC.
Because the market leader Valve is free so the rest has to be as well.
Believe me if steam was not free then Origin and uplay would not be free either.
That is wrong. Even if, for some crazy reason, Valve decided to charge for play online, neither EA or Ubisoft or any other company would follow suit. The outrage would be even worse than when Valve and Bethesda tried to charge for mods.

Microsoft tried it once and it failed hard, doubt any other company would succeed when Microsoft failed to do that.

That is wrong. Even if, for some crazy reason, Valve decided to charge for play online, neither EA or Ubisoft or any other company would follow suit. The outrage would be even worse than when Valve and Bethesda tried to charge for mods.

Microsoft tried it once and it failed hard, doubt any other company would succeed when Microsoft failed to do that.
Not saying starting the charge now if they were not free from the start, then the market would not have know what that was like.
Its all about who the market leader is and how that company has "set it up" from the start.

'Why does X cost Y' is such a strange and pointless question for a grown-up to ask. I mean, the answer is always the same, isn't it? Surely beyond about the age of 12 people realise this and stop asking it? How can people go around and around and around discussing this same issue?

Do people think Valve aren't feverishly working away to devise ways to get monthly payments from people?

I don't personally subscribe to PS+, but I did briefly tot up the cost of all the PS+ games that I'd bought on Steam and it game to around the price of the subs. So basically I hadn't really saved anything by not having it.

AmFreak

To play devil's advocate a bit; as a consumer, I guess the upside to me would be that it helps subsidize the cost of the console. I 100% believe that if people weren't paying for XBL, PS+ and now Nintendo's online service, that the actual hardware costs would probably be double what they are. The only reason PS4 launced at $399 is because of the tail associated with people paying for online play. Otherwise I believe consoles this gen would be in the $600-ish range. I know with these online services you are potentially paying more than that over the course of the lifespan of the consoles, but it is a lower up front cost.
You believe wrong.
First gen Sony makes money with the hardware, first gen Sony has pay to play ...

Matt

I've said it before, but:

Gold and PS+ both help to subsidize the entireties of the Xbox and PlayStation operations. Without them, "why do we make a console" gets harder to answer.

jrcbandit

I might resubscribe to PS Plus if I can get another super cheap deal on it, but the PS4 version has been such a bust. Horribly slow download speeds and subpar game offerings. The only quality games have been indies I already own on PC for the most part or PS3 ports of their big indie games like Journey. Over the last 3 years, I've felt I've only gotten my money's worth from Resogun and Infamous First Light.

You think that covers all the cost?
Also that 30% is for cert and getting on the store, being on the psblog, having a yt trailer on playstation channel etc.
Paying people that work with devs and pubs on a day to day basis.

Sure it does, 30% of total Xbox games revenue? Got to be hundreds of millions dollars a year if not billions

What is significantly better between PS3/Wii U and, say, PS4 and XBone? Genuinely curious - I haven't noticed a huge amount of differences in the online play between the consoles I own, whether I'm paying for online or not. What is worth the premium to you?
Cross chat is a big one for some people. You couldn't even chat at all on most Wii U games. Or easily matchmake with friends. Just the general quality of matchmaking even had a wide gap.

Yohane

Last time I payed for online play was with the OG xbox.

Too bad Sony decided to make paid online only with the ps4

"fuck Microsoft" as if the other guys aren't just as happy to take your money lol.

Exactly. Back when it first started it seemed reasonable to pay for it because it was a great service and the only one of its kind on console. Then Sony's attempt came out and it was ok but felt like a "you get what you pay for" type of deal so I still thought it seemed fair to me.

It wasn't til this gen when Sony not only made you pay for it but then upped the price that I actually feel ripped off now. And I still don't think it's up to snuff with Live which I can regularly get for $35/12mos.

Theonik

Because companies got away with it, for the same reason they got away with closed platforms and single stores. Once they sell you the device they call the shots.

eot

Banned
I'm against it on principle and refuse to pay. Makes me a lot less likely to play my PS4 tbh but fuck that shit. I'm willing to pay for dedicated servers but not P2P

Top Bottom