• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can't we have a bit of PC gaming on Scorpio?

iswasdoes

I have a macbook pro, a ps4 pro and later this year, a scorpio. I'm not going to build a pc for gaming alone. Maybe in the future I will, but why argue against a method that would open up people even more to some of the PC titles they have missed? I'm not suggesting for Switch to have PC functionality or anything ridiculous like that.

PC gaming is done on windows computers. Microsoft has been changing the OS alone to be more like windows since the end of the 360 console cycle. Console hardware choices are more PC friendly than ever. Why insist on having that division still? Especially on a Microsoft built console? Would it be that outlandish for there to be a steam-esque store and for someone to come home and load up WOW or SimCity on their xbox one? The power will be there now.

It should be less about building a PC and more about increasing accessibility to games.

I think the point is that - scorpio exists because some people want a console only experience and software to match

If you want software that goes outside of that, theres literally no reason not to get a gaming pc (now that any MS exclusives will be play anywhere)

You also get access to steam which is an incredible 'pc gaming' library.

I would ask anyone considering getting a scorpio why not get a gaming pc instead. What reason is there?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I think the Scorpio would have a good value proposition if it allowed m/kb controls and customization, especially if it's priced above $400. The main audience for the system is the "hardcore," who also buy the elite controller and the xim kbm controllers, so making it native would signal the system is for them. Plus it would bring in the pc audience who really don't want to touch the win10 store. This would go hand in hand with play anywhere and their ability to create playlists based on control type. And then they could sell all the scorpio branded accessories.

The original xbone should've already been a minipc with the ability to upgrade proprietary cards over time, but that's a whole other thing.
Why exactly would it bring in the PC audience? If I have a gaming PC and don't wanna touch the win 10 store for MS games knowing they'll still run better than the console version, why would I pay more money for another box just to play inferior version of said games?

Synth

You are talking about companies that mostly put their games on console anyway.

If they had PC support on their console it would open up to get games like LoL, Paradox games or other PC exclusives.

Isn't the Xb1 running on windows 10 anyway?

It doesn't matter that the games are typically on console anyway. If EA releases Mass Effect Andromeda on XB1, every time someone buys that version MS gets their cut. Nobody can look and find the same game is cheaper on Steam, or has a higher population on PC, or has free mods that effectively replace DLC, or is crossplay with PS4, etc... and decide to buy that one instead, effectively costing MS a sale. Most game sales on PC are as useful to MS as that same game selling on PS4. And if you open the console up to that market, you can be certain Valve would be quick to make a play, to effectively make the Xbox their own, similar to how they have Windows in regards to gaming.

There isn't even one reason why they shouldn't do it.

You don't think the way Valve, Blizzard and hell even EA eat their lunch on Windows to be a reason? They should just set that situation up again on console, whilst also making it so nobody would ever need to pay for Xbox Live Gold again, because you'd just buy the PC version of everything instead?

ElFly

I wonder what would happen if Microsoft just hacked around steam and allowed the steam client to run on Scorpio and Fooling steam into thinking it was just a pc

Outside the technical and qa nightmare, I assume the problem is that they want a slice of every game sold, which is the reason you make a console in the first place

So yeah, you crazy

Synth

I wonder what would happen if Microsoft just hacked around steam and allowed the steam client to run on Scorpio and Fooling steam into thinking it was just a pc

Outside the technical and qa nightmare, I assume the problem is that they want a slice of every game sold, which is the reason you make a console in the first place

So yeah, you crazy

Yea, the financial aspect of it is the only reason. There's nothing that could stop MS allowing Steam to run on Xbox.. and to be frank, Valve would fucking love it. MS would have immediately given their steambox initiative over a 20 million install base overnight. They could probably write MS out of the equation by the time the generation was over.

atr0cious

Why exactly would it bring in the PC audience? If I have a gaming PC and don't wanna touch the win 10 store for MS games knowing they'll still run better than the console version, why would I pay more money for another box just to play inferior version of said games?
Because a part of the pc to console transition that some find difficult is getting used to a controller. And not everyone has a great pc, like my 860m laptop that's about on par with an xbone; there's a reason PES keeps downporting the pc version. It all really hinges on the price, anything above $450, then yes, why not stick to PC.

borges

Banned
I think thats part of its long term strategy, to bidirectionally merge subsets of games from both pc and xbox. Not ALL pc games makes sense for a console experience, but a good amount, yeah.

I have a macbook pro, a ps4 pro and later this year, a scorpio. I'm not going to build a pc for gaming alone. Maybe in the future I will, but why argue against a method that would open up people even more to some of the PC titles they have missed? I'm not suggesting for Switch to have PC functionality or anything ridiculous like that.

PC gaming is done on windows computers. Microsoft has been changing the OS alone to be more like windows since the end of the 360 console cycle. Console hardware choices are more PC friendly than ever. Why insist on having that division still? Especially on a Microsoft built console? Would it be that outlandish for there to be a steam-esque store and for someone to come home and load up WOW or SimCity on their xbox one? The power will be there now.

It should be less about building a PC and more about increasing accessibility to games.
No thanks, it'll become a Jack of all trades and master of none. Looks at the xb1 for reference. Rubbish gaming capabilities, mediocre media capabilities, thoroughly unappealing console. If Microsoft wants the Scorpio to fare better, the should simply focus on one thing and that's games. If pc devs want their games on Scorpio, uwp/uwa. Secondly, the fastest way to allow your console to be hacked is to allow the other os feature. The ps3 proved that it's a very bad idea.

Being able to freely install win32 games from steam, Gog, or even just a cd rom directly competes with Microsoft's own storefront purchases on the platform. While they would probably be fine with pc games distributed via w10 store since they also get a cut, they won't want to bust their walled garden open.

Even if we ignore all the security issues it would cause to make the Xbox One support Win32 software, it still isn't even close to being feasible. The weak CPU and limited amount of RAM would make it completely worthless as a PC.

Also, the OS on Xbox One isn't literally Windows 10. That's not how this works.

Seems like Microsoft keeps blending the xbox and windows division together. Now I don't expect to pick up Scorpio and play Crysis at 4k, but I would love to play some niche titles I haven't gotten around to like Planet Coaster and CitySkylines.

What would be wrong in having some PC gaming functionality built into xbox one? Why do both divisions have to be separate?

They are more likely to release a PC with some Xbox One functionality than the other way around.

Hell, just get a Windows 10 gaming PC. You get most Xbox exclusives, plus Steam/Origin/GoG/etc...

I have Killer Instinct, ReCore, Halo 5:Forge, GoW: UE, Forza, and Quantum Break on PC...

Synth

Even if we ignore all the security issues it would cause to make the Xbox One support Win32 software, it still isn't even close to being feasible. The weak CPU and limited amount of RAM would make it completely worthless as a PC.

Also, the OS on Xbox One isn't literally Windows 10. That's not how this works.

Whilst I don't disagree with your point in general...

You do realise that the thread title explicitly mentions Scorpio rather than the standard XB1? As such, we don't actually know what CPU and RAM it has.

It would be great. Such a feature would be an important unique selling point against the PS4 and it would save the Xbox in markets where it's currently tanking. Valve supports "non-Steam games" on Steam, maybe Microsoft could provide something similar for Xbox.

12Dannu123

You are talking about companies that mostly put their games on console anyway.

If they had PC support on their console it would open up to get games like LoL, Paradox games or other PC exclusives.

Isn't the Xb1 running on windows 10 anyway?

You're not going to see Win32 on Xbox, it's a outdated and old platform API.

Xbox is running Windows 10 but it's a stripped down version of it without Win32 APIs

12Dannu123

Microsoft would have to curate the PC library, ensure compatibility, effectively they'd just be porting titles so why bother?

No chance they'd open up to the nightmare of just free reign "add a PC game" or putting Steam on it. Imagine the support needed for that.

Well....

Microsoft can simply just add a XB1 dashboard to Windows 10 which loads UWP games. Then have a Windows 10 PC SKU like Windows 10 Cloud to sell to OEMs to create PC consoles. A XB1 dashboard will look different obviously.

This is a good idea because there is no need to create a separate games and ports for those PC consoles, because PC development principles apply here and will use UWP. This will apply to Normal PCs as well.

While it is maipulative of the market. There isn't much Valve and Sony can do as because as dominant forces in their respective markets, they can't sue MS for antitrust.

12Dannu123

I think the point is that - scorpio exists because some people want a console only experience and software to match

If you want software that goes outside of that, theres literally no reason not to get a gaming pc (now that any MS exclusives will be play anywhere)

You also get access to steam which is an incredible 'pc gaming' library.

I would ask anyone considering getting a scorpio why not get a gaming pc instead. What reason is there?

Because people don't build PCs???

If you think a casual gamer will build a PC and complicate things like drivers, terrible ports. Then you need to face reality

Matt

Being able to freely install win32 games from steam, Gog, or even just a cd rom directly competes with Microsoft's own storefront purchases on the platform. While they would probably be fine with pc games distributed via w10 store since they also get a cut, they won't want to bust their walled garden open.
Yep.

MS doesn't want Win32 on Xbox. Hell, they barely want it on PC.

ghostjoke

Banned
Microsoft's vision of gaming's future is at odds with many developers/distributors for such a thing to happen.

Also, the two games you suggested can spiral out of control in the requirements needed to ensure a pleasant experience as the cities/parks get bigger. A console's locked down hardware would require extra work to either ensure it scales or have limitations in place not found in the usual PC version. I know Skylines is coming to XB1, but I figure there's going to be some changes to accommodate the hardware.

I've said it in a previous thread and I'll say it again here:

All Microsoft needs to do is let you install Windows 10 on the Scorpio if you so choose, you will then have one of the best performance per dollar pre-built gaming pc's on the market that also doubles as an Xbox.

And so they don't lose money they could lock the feature behind Xbox Live Gold or something similar and that subscription could also include the Windows 10 license.

They would print money.

Izuna

Banned
We might not get Xbox ports if it ends up running PC games, making PlayStation the only convenient place to play multiplats for console gamers.

12Dannu123

I've said it in a previous thread and I'll say it again here:

All Microsoft needs to do is let you install Windows 10 on the Scorpio if you so choose, you will then have one of the best performance per dollar pre-built gaming pc's on the market that also doubles as an Xbox.

And so they don't lose money they could lock the feature behind Xbox Live Gold or something similar and that subscription could also include the Windows 10 license.

They would print money.

That's not happening. It opens Xbox Consoles to hackers.

Like I said before. I expect MS to just have a XB Dashboard on Windows 10 and have OEMs just sell a PC SKU like Windows 10 Cloud to OEMs to create a PC console

Sijil

What sort of PC games would you want on Scorpio? Arma wouldn't work, it barely runs smoothly on an i7 not to mention the complexity of the controls.

Total War? Company of Heroes? Wargame? Starcraft? Civilization? Same issue. Basically it boils down to performance, complexity and simply a lack of demand for the devs to even bother. How many people are going to buy a Keyboard and mouse so they can play Total War hunched in front of their TV?

That's not happening. It opens Xbox Consoles to hackers.

Like I said before. I expect MS to just have a XB Dashboard on Windows 10 and have OEMs just sell a PC SKU like Windows 10 Cloud to OEMs to create a PC console

So?, The Xbox OS would remain the same on the console thus just as hackable as before, the only difference is that those same hackers don't have to hack the Xbox to run Windows 10 because it does that already.

12Dannu123

So?, The Xbox OS would remain the same on the console thus just as hackable as before, the only difference is that those same hackers don't have to hack the Xbox to run Windows 10 because it does that already.

The Xbox OS isn't hackable because you can't even access the registry and everything is hidden away without a UI to access everything. The only that is hackable is XBL.

Who says they aren't? Phil already said that keyboard and mouse is coming to xbone and that even games using only that as input would be allowed.

I think the Scorpio would have a good value proposition if it allowed m/kb controls and customization, especially if it's priced above $400. The main audience for the system is the "hardcore," who also buy the elite controller and the xim kbm controllers, so making it native would signal the system is for them. Plus it would bring in the pc audience who really don't want to touch the win10 store. This would go hand in hand with play anywhere and their ability to create playlists based on control type. And then they could sell all the scorpio branded accessories.

The original xbone should've already been a minipc with the ability to upgrade proprietary cards over time, but that's a whole other thing.

If you are going to allow m/kb for all games I can't imagine ever willingly playing a multiplayer game on the platform again.

Avoiding m/kb for shooters is one of the biggest reasons besides exclusives that I primarily play on console.

If you are going to allow m/kb for all games I can't imagine ever willingly playing a multiplayer game on the platform again.

Avoiding m/kb for shooters is one of the biggest reasons besides exclusives that I primarily play on console.
If/when they do there are probably be handled like cross play is now, only by input instead of platform.

Either way, I'm sure there will be options so people on controllers play only against people on consoles if they desire.

deadman69

microsoft can't even release all their pc game library on pc, what hope do they have releasing pc games on a different platform.

The Xbox OS isn't hackable because you can't even access the registry and everything is hidden away without a UI to access everything. The only that is hackable is XBL.

Exactly, that's my point.

The Xbox OS would be completely separate to the Windows 10 install, therefore no more hack-able than before.

MimiMe

@OP
I'd love to be able to install Windows on a Scorpio. Installing games and hardware so I could run iRacing + Wheel 'n Pedals + Oculus Rift on the Xbox One instead of the PC.

A man can dream, right?

So basically PS3? That was a disaster

The closest we would get would be only able to install Windows 10 Cloud-like SKU

Because they removed it, not because it was there to begin with. It took them 4 years to remove it and it only supported Linux and FreeBSD.

This is Microsoft we're talking about, if anyone could do this right it'd be them.

RedSwirl

The entire concept of an accessible, closed hardware box with an open operating system (like Windows) is enticing, but software sales are the bulk of revenue for consoles. A console manufacturer isn't going to want to give up that walled garden, especially not an existing one.

I think if Microsoft was serious about a "Windows console" experience, it would probably first start accepting that HTPCs exist. I've always found it incredible how little Microsoft has done to make Windows 10 better for computers hooked up to TVs. I don't see why MS can't create an Xbox-like dashboard for booting up PC games with the Xbox controller. Hell, the current Xbox app, as good as it is, barely has any controller functionality. I mean good God, everything Steam has done to bring some of the ease of console gaming to PC could have been done by Microsoft if it really cared about PC gaming at any point in the last 12 years.

Armaros

The whole point of a company putting out a console is to get something back for all software sales because you have to go through the company in question, be it Sony, Nintendo or MS. If you open it up to third party PC stores selling their own products, you are now competing for sales on your own hardware. Unless you somehow stipulate also taking a cut of their sales, which would never work.

The third party PC stores will never let go of their sale cut, the console company won't let it happen without their own cut of the sale and the developer isn't going to want both the store AND the console company taking a cut of their revenue when normally it's just one of the groups depending on platform.

It's a setup that is untenable for everyone. PC devs will just stick to porting over their games when applicable.

Why would they need to be Win32? Everything good on the PC comes to console, unless it really isn't going to work on a TV/controller.

Wonko_C

I had this thought too, but it shouldn't be limited to pc games only, the Scorpio should let me use it as a full-fledged Windows 10 PC. My PC is dying and I have no interest on Xbox save for Forza. Having an Xbox that can also be used as a PC would make me buy one instantly. We're going the one-device-does-all route anyway.

Top Bottom