• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can't you buy Nintendo Land on the eShop?

I have $30+ worth of eShop credit burning a hole in my pocket. Went to try Nintendo Land only to be told you can't buy it on the eShop.

What gives? Is there a reason for this?

Also, dammit!

shiiiiittt....i wouldnt have bought it off the estore anyways $30?

7TYnqJGl.png

It's weird. Usually when Nintendo does something strange like this you can a least come up with a reasonable explanation, but I can't come up with a reason for this.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
It's weird. Usually when Nintendo does something strange like this you can a least come up with a reasonable explanation, but I can't come up with a reason for this.

then I guess you won't be getting that Nintendo marketing job!

udivision

Isn't the reasonable explanation "Because Nintendo."?

It just happens to double as a snarky handwave.

Moofers

Hey why aren't all the Wii VC games on the Wii U VC? That's the real issue. I wanted to play Mario 64 on the GamePad.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Strange. I got a digital copy from the ZombiU bundle.

...Mexico..assuming he only meant North America. (Even then, technically other countries in North America have eShops but last time I checked, there was practically nothing there)
NOA support only lists USA, Canada, Mexico as Wii U eShops.

I didn't know you had limited eShops over there as well (well there is one in PAL regions Turkey, has just patches excluding Pokemon). Most of the PAL list (includes Europe, Africa and a few other places) isn't even that instead straight up failing to work. I guess eShops only exist for countries that have seem some form of system release (the distributor in Turkey; Nortek Eurasia ceased shortly after 3DS release)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nintendo doesn't like getting money by all means, but only by the specific means they have decided they want to get money at this moment in time. They don't take suggestions from people who would like to give them money in exchange for their products.

Ludist210

I'd like to know this as well. It's the only game I own that I don't have the option to buy digitally (and I would like to).

Hoarr

Neo Member
That and the poor the Wii U's poor VC selection has been really bugging me lately. I had sold my physical copy once the news of the price change broke -- I waited to see the eShop price drop and instead it was just removed from the store.

Very weird -- surprised it's still gone.

Hey why aren't all the Wii VC games on the Wii U VC? That's the real issue. I wanted to play Mario 64 on the GamePad.

Because they have to reprogram the unique emulator they created for each one so it can talk to the Wii U OS features and the GamePad, and to do that costs money, and to recoup their development costs means they can't just dump every game on the shop as that'd be the surest way to ensure none of the games they re-release get any actual attention.

SerTapTap

Nintendoland should have been a pack in with EVERY Wii U, even after the later bundles. But even then taking it off the eShop is BS. Not sure what happened here.

shiiiiittt....i wouldnt have bought it off the estore anyways $30?

7TYnqJGl.png

Price is lame when it's easy to get at $20, but no reason to pull it off the eshop. Also, it's a nice game to have digital for quick local multi.

Seriously what the hell. This needs more attention.

Did you ever hear back?

Since you asked, here is the (non) response I got from their support team:

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for having taken the time to write back. I'm sorry to hear that the automatic response didn't answer your question. While I would like to be able to do so, there haven't been any announcements with information regarding why Nintendo Land was removed from the Nintendo eShop or if (or when) it will be made available to download again. While I understand this wasn't what you were hoping to hear, retail copies of Nintendo Land should be widely available from stores. However, I will be sure to document your interest in seeing the digital version of Nintendo Land be made available again and forward your comments to the appropriate departments at Nintendo of America, so your feedback will be heard.

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Brian Davis
Nintendo of America Inc.

OmegaFax

Well, for what it's worth, I e-mailed Nintendo's customer service to ask about it.

I'm sure I'll get a form response, but you never know.

Those e-mails get sucked up into a tube and dumped at an undisclosed location.

Notebooks.jpg

Lost reference ... can't shake the image from my head every time I fill out a Club Nintendo survey.

Edit: Guess not?!

Wow at that response. Company doesn't know why it can't sell it's own product on it's own store.

Is it available in Japan or Europe digitally?

DizzyCrow

I'm surprised they haven't split up the "attractions" into separate downloads for a couple bucks apiece.
Or even the Wii Sports Club model, I can't even buy at retail, I've never seen any store here in Brazil have this game and the only Wii U model available is the NSMBU one.

Zing

Banned
The even more strange thing is that, mere weeks before they pulled it in November 2013, Nintendo had a press release announcing the NSMBU bundle and specifically mentioned that Nintendoland would still be available in the eshop at the new $30 MSRP.

Top Bottom