• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did you buy an Xbox this gen?

SRTtoZ

I've sold mine since but I bought mine at the time because I was bored and wanted to try some of the Xbox1 exclusives. I really wish I waited because after that most of the games I wanted to play all came to PC (Quantum break, Gears).

PaulBizkit

Because I prefer to play on consoles. It is easier for local multiplayer games. Besides, I spend all day in front of my laptop writing, editing, doing post production for my photography, managing spreadsheets. I don't want to work all day at my laptop and then spend more time in front of my laptop playing games. Besides, my Xbox One X plays games better than my laptop.

But you haven't really answered the question. You act as if Play Anywhere is somehow a bad thing. I say that we should be able to carry our games with us just like carry our movies, books, TV shows and music. I share media on my tablet and my phone. I see sharing games on my Xbox and laptop as the same thing.

Play Anywhere is great, but it renders the xbox one useless if you already have a PC (which almost everybody does)

This has got to be the most ignorant troll ass comment on here this year with out a doubt.

You considered Halo a weak exclusive franchise, when it was the best selling franchise of all exclusives selling, bar Mario Kart and Wii Sports last generation. Playstation didn't have anything beating the Gears of War franchise let alone even remotely coming close to the Halo franchise.

Also the only exclusive that could somewhat get close to the sales numbers of Halo was Grand Turismo a racing franchise and genre you don't even like.

It would be my honor to present you with this years troll of the year award. LMFAO

Wasn't Halo a mess after Bungie left? Besides, it was just my opinion, it's not like i'm saying it's an absolute truth

I only bought mine to cause concern in GAF posters who aren't interested in Xbox.

image4061139x.jpg

GametimeUK

Cross Buy wasn't really a thing when I bought my One. I got it for Halo, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall and other exclusives. Titanfall was a big one for me even though I didn't play it much, I absolutely loved it. Preferred the thought if playing it on console vs other console players than on PC.

I haven't used my One much. I used it to play Souls a week early. I hardly even bother since most of the games are released on PC now anyway. A bit of a waste of money, but it was great for Forza Horizon 3 when the PC version wasn't optimised.

Play Anywhere is great, but it renders the xbox one useless if you already have a PC (which almost everybody does

Possibly, but that doesn't mean anything if the PC can't run the games. I have a PC. But I haven't upgraded it in ages.

Way I see it, my Xbox One renders my PC useless.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Play Anywhere is great, but it renders the xbox one useless if you already have a PC (which almost everybody does)
Almost everyone has a PC, not everyone has a PC that can run those games though.

Personally, I think the XB1 would be more successful if Play Anywhere wasn't a thing though.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Wasn't Halo a mess after Bungie left? Besides, it was just my opinion, it's not like i'm saying it's an absolute truth

Before play anywhere then most people had a computer that could hardly play mine sweeper, now everyone can play games on high settings like the One X.

That’s sorcery.

tryDEATH

Not really a mess they had some issues with the single player story, but the MP was still king. Based on the reputation that Halo built up during the 360 days, it was as close to a banker as you could get from a franchise moving forward to next generation.

I also don't mind you having an opinion, but acting surprised that Halo is a system seller is simply trolling, considering it is the console seller bar the Nintendo classics. To make such a innocent and ill intended statement you would have to be really young, or just straight up ignorant, but based on your comments so far in this thread it is quite obvious your trolling.

I bought mine because i played my 360 pretty much every day. I had the OG 360, then then Elite then the smaller one with the touch power button (can't remember the name)

I bought my XB1 on release week and have used it pretty much every day since. As well as playing games i use it for TV quite a lot from Netflix to SkyTV and youtube etc. Literally does everything i want.

Gaming wise i've had times when i hardly play games cause nothing that was new appealed to me but backwards compatibility kept me entertained.

I've never doubted having my XB1. I've thought about getting a PS4 as well for the exclusives but don't think i ever will.

Rockondevil

I went for Xbox because:
- I prefer the exclusives. Sure it has less, but I still prefer them.
- I know more people that play Xbox
- I use it whenever there is a game I want to play and those games are generally 3rd party anyway so doesn't matter what you play it on. Sometimes everyday for months, sometimes don't use it for a month or so.
- And a big one for me is the controller. I can not stand the PS controller. Xbox is just superior to me.

PaulBizkit

Not really a mess they had some issues with the single player story, but the MP was still king. Based on the reputation that Halo built up during the 360 days, it was as close to a banker as you could get from a franchise moving forward to next generation.

I also don't mind you having an opinion, but acting surprised that Halo is a system seller is simply trolling, considering it is the console seller bar the Nintendo classics. To make such a innocent and ill intended statement you would have to be really young, or just straight up ignorant, but based on your comments so far in this thread it is quite obvious your trolling.

I'm not trolling, man; look, I worked for the Best Buy call center from mid '07 till mid '08 and some co-workers from the Pre-Orders area told me that, for months, 80% of the calls were for the Halo 3 pre-order. Halo was the biggest western game ever.

But Bungie left, then Halo 4, Reach, ODST, etc. released (
Modern Warfare became a thing and Halo was not the only good shooter around
) and all the reviews + forums discussions after that ended up the same way: "it's good, but not as good as the Bungie games". And now we have Halo 5 and I feel the hype for that game was really low.

That's why I'm surprised that Halo was STILL an important franchise. Besides, didn't Gears and Halo's stories end already?

sainraja

Play Anywhere is something Microsoft is doing for the long term. They are willing to take it slow to gain marketshare on the PC side - I think that is their goal. Haven't they already tried setting up a Games on Windows and other similar initiatives to make in roads into PC gaming?

This is just another way of doing it but slowly.

Actual

Sunset Overdrive and Forza (Motorsports + Horizon), UHD player.

I have a PC, but it's just easier to play on consoles and my machine is old with a GTX 770.

forgedbygeeks

Neo Member
I'm not trolling, man; look, I worked for the Best Buy call center from mid '07 till mid '08 and some co-workers from the Pre-Orders area told me that, for months, 80% of the calls were for the Halo 3 pre-order. Halo was the biggest western game ever.

) and all the reviews + forums discussions after that ended up the same way: "it's good, but not as good as the Bungie games". And now we have Halo 5 and I feel the hype for that game was really low.

That's why I'm surprised that Halo was STILL an important franchise. Besides, didn't Gears and Halo's stories end already?

You do realize Reach and ODST were 100% Bungie before they left...

Also Halo5 is the most profitable Halo game ever made.

Bioshocker

I'm pretty tired of all this "all Xbox games are on PC" crap. I'm a console gamer, I've never been interested in PC gaming. So getting an Xbox One wasn't a very tough decision for me (especially since I've played on Xbox since the day the OG Xbox launched). I did wait until 2015, though, because of all the BS Microsoft were trying in the beginning. Now I'm sitting with an Xbox One S, an Elite controller and the new UI that finally (after four years!) surpasses that of the PS4. When I turned my PS4 on the other day it felt... old. However, PlayStation is still the best place for exclusives. But for a few exclusives and all the multiplats Xbox has been my choice this gen.

watdaeff4

Every game on the Xbox is on PC.
I have a Mac.

I don't like to game on PC/Mac.

Playstation 4 has all the third-party games that are on the xbox and has its own exclusives.
THere are third party games I would rather play on Xbox than PS4...and I own both consoles.

Xbox has it's own exclusives

If you bought an Xbox console, why did you buy it and how much do you use it? This sounds like a typical console war thread but i'm honestly curious.
As to why, I already stated. I use it quite a bit.

Right right, it does sound like a typical console war thread.

phant0m

Every game on the Xbox is on PC.

Playstation 4 has all the third-party games that are on the xbox and has its own exclusives.

If you bought an Xbox console, why did you buy it and how much do you use it? This sounds like a typical console war thread but i'm honestly curious.

Halo MCC/5, Forza Horizon 2+3, Gears 4, Rare collection and 4K/UHD Bluray. Literally all I’ve used it for. Tried Sunset too, but didn’t like it.

The One S is the best looking box under my TV tho.

A.M_Light

Neo Member
If you enjoy your xbox good for you ,but for me personally ps4+switch is the perfect combination i get to enjoy all the great exclusives on both Sony's & Nintendo's platforms plus all the big third party titles on ps4 . Microsoft doesn't have enough exclusives that interest me .

F40

Neo Member

During the 2000s most PCs came with a dvd drive but people still bought DVD players. Why? Because its a purpose built device. No matter how many neon lights are on the case a P.C is still looked at as a jack of all trades productivity machine. A game console, no matter how many other features it may have, needs to be first and foremost a game console. PS4's marketing at the beginning of this generation taught us that. People like simple purpose built devices. By the way Play Anywhere will still give you a free Xbox One copy of said game even you intend to play it on PC. You can pick up XB1 for under $200 and have all the backwards capability game you can't get on PC.

MilkyJoe

120fps on console? Holy balls.

You know, Iet's put this into words you understand. I could pop on the internet now and buy a gaming rig that you could only dream of owning, yet you seem to think you are in some untouchable class, an elite, when you are just too stupid/childinsh/stupid and childish, to understand that no one here gives a flying fuck about your PC gaming. If we did we'd have one. They are not made of unicorn horns and powered by Yeti tears. All you seem to do is hang around xbox threads, like a fly around shit, looking for what? Some validation that you are superior to a stranger on the internet? You really must have the smallest, loneliest penis in the world.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
120fps on console? Holy balls.

This thread is for those people who bought an Xbox to give their reasons and have a conversation around that.

Not everyone aspires to have a rig for gaming. The people in this thread do not need telling that a high end gaming PC will outperform their console. Indeed the thread's purpose is exactly that. Not to lament what they don't have but to enjoy what they do have.

Either involve yourself in the conversation in a positive or informative way or you will earn some time off.

tryDEATH

Bungie didn't really just up and leave and a whole new company came and started making their own Halo games they were transitioning, that is why a big chunk of Bungie employees are actually 343's employees right now, they basically split.

And Halo 4, Reach, and ODST, still ended up selling close to 10Mil or more units, yes they weren't Halo 3, but your not going to get a masterpiece every single iteration and you don't have to look far to see that with the Uncharted series, with the last one certainly not being the best one, but still moving units and being played.

Also Halo 5 MP is probably the best it has ever been in the franchise history, the story has its issues, but MP wise it is at the pinnacle of FPS shooters along with Titanfall 2 this console generation. I can guarantee you that Halo 6 is going to shattered records once again just like Halo 3 did and is going to be the exclusive to have on console.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
This thread is for those people who bought an Xbox to give their reasons and have a conversation around that.

Not everyone aspires to have a rig for gaming. The people in this thread do not need telling that a high end gaming PC will outperform their console. Indeed the thread's purpose is exactly that. Not to lament what they don't have but to enjoy what they do have.

Either involve yourself in the conversation in a positive or informative way or you will earn some time off.
Have you not seen the rest of his post history? All he does is troll. No idea why he hasn't been banned yet.

Unity2012

Why did I buy an Xbox this gen?

Halo 4/5 SP and MP; Halo Wars 2, Gears 4
Most of my friends are on Xbox Live
The Xbox controller is my favorite to play games
Xbox Live
4K movie player as an extra bonus.

I bought mine for the original Titanfall and ended up getting the Titanfall collectors edition with the Atlas Titan, someone didn't pickup their preorder and I got a decent tax refund the same day, which is probably one of the fav CE's I own.

goldenpp72

I bought one partially due to a fondness for the original Xbox and the 360, but also due to feeling the initial exclusives were stronger than Sony's offerings, but at this point I would say the purchase wasn't worth it. It's not a bad system on paper, just when the other option is basically the same games but more exclusives, it just feels kind of redundant or lacks identity I would say.

I can find some kind of uniqueness in any console I own from the 32x and Virtual boy, to the popular systems, but the One is just kind of a repeat feeling device that needs to bolster its lineup a lot.Though unlike many I don't hate the thing, it's a machine. I just wish they would put more exclusive content on it, going from stuff like Blue Dragon, Banjo, Viva Pinata, etc on top of the Forzas and Halos, to basically some small indie buy outs and a couple repetitive series, it hasn't been a good run.

I would say that if someone had to pick between a Xbox One X and a PS4 the debate could be much different, but I haven't been motivated to rebuy my entire PS4 collection to justify it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sunset Overdrive, which I loved. And the promise of a new Crackdown. In the meantime I've thoroughly enjoyed the Forza and Forza Horizon games. Currently enjoying Mafia III and Witcher III on the X thanks to the Black Friday sale.

I've never favored one console over another. I buy them when the games I want release.

EdgeXL

Most people don't have a PC capable of running the latest AAA games, let alone in 4K. According to the latest hardware survey on Steam, the majority of users have 2GB or less VRAM.

I have a PC that can play these games and I still play more than Xbox so I wholeheartedly disagree with your claim that the console is useless.

And you STILL have not answered my question,

Have no interest in pc so it came down to Xbox or PlayStation.

Prefer Xbox live
Prefer Xbox controller
Backwards compatibility
Friends all on Xbox

Getting a One X soon so it'll have the best console version of all third party games as well.

norm9

My buddy bought one so I had to get one too for gamesharing purposes. Too bad the xbox has so many patches and large updates that I can't play a majority of my games because my internet stinks.

Top Bottom