• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't Sara B just say COD will be on GP?

StueyDuck

Banned
I mean... who cares

Call of duty people are going to buy and play Call of duty whether it's on gamepass or psplus or whatever...

This really isn't as big of an issue as gamers want it to be. There's far more shit MS is doing wrong right now than whether cod will be on gamepass

Last edited:

knguyen

xbox-games-showcase-2023-4-1.jpg
Their mouths smiled, but their eyes said "fuck these stupid retarded gamers"

Last edited:

King Dazzar

There's no way they'd just kill GP. Why throw away the subs. Reduce titles, change when games go on it, add perks, increase the pricing, spend less of their money on it, let it stagnate or decline. All possibilities. But kill it off? That'd be like suggesting they make all online free... why would they.

midnightAI

Yeah, but CoD is an online game, right? So in order to recuperate the 70$ price you need people to pay gamepass for 4 months. They see the metrics, if people play the game for more than that, then it's net profit for them.
Is there only COD on Gamepass? I'm pretty sure your Gamepass sub pays for more than just the one game on the service. Also you are only counting the sale of the game, not the development cost (although the two do tie together, but that's hard to quantify execy how many months of Gamepass money would cover the cost of development of a single game, only MS would know that)

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Because it probably won't be.

It's clear GamePass is not the cash cow they wanted it to be.

Putting their real cash cow on it would probably require a massive hike in GamePass prices to offset the loss of earnings.

Which will kill GamePass.

They've fucked it whatever they do.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Won’t think about cod on gamepass until after it’s released on there, game pass is attempting to be a deep service with the proper AAA releases.

jwaxeman

Their mouths smiled, but their eyes said "fuck these stupid retarded gamers"
I appreciate Sony’s approach of “we don’t understand why adults enjoy this hobby for kids, but they seem to like it a lot, so we’re going to hire the best people in the world to do it for us.”

Much better results than Xbox having Sarah and Spencer and Matt and Aaron mugging for the camera and racking up hours in Vampire Survivor only to fire another 10,000 people.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Sara Bond stopped short of saying that the next COD will launch directly into gamepass because...

1. Perhaps those marketing rights that Sony had in place are STILL not up

2. They are simply waiting to announce it at the showcase. This is their huge pop (one of many).

Sara did say that all the first party games are launching into Gamepass so that is actually confirmation, but there is obviously some reason why she won't name COD specifically.

It's funny to me that half of GAF is acting like they think there is some chance that it won't launch into game pass. I mean I kind of get it. Gamepass is already such a ridiculously good value it's almost unbelievable that we can get everything we are getting this year for $17 a month on top of what we already have. Honestly, I feel blessed. We will never see a value like this again. Enjoy it while it lasts.
RoDDb95.jpeg

Yeah the gaming division that created this genius idea isn't lasting either. So I hope it was worth it.

Varteras

Gold Member
This is just word salad, you don’t know what any of this means and even if you did, you don’t have a clue what any of the numbers are.

Logic 101 😆😆

I see some of you perpetual doomsday posters throwing out this “pay to play early” stuff and just right now you said it in a way that implies it’s some new strategy or a reaction to numbers. Xbox has done the whole “gold edition = a few days early” stuff before GamePass and all throughout GamePass. No one really cared or noticed until Starfield but it’s not something new. Hell, State of Decay 2 all the way back in 2018 was one of the first day one titles on GamePass and I bought the Ultimate Edition which allowed 4-5 days of early play or something. It’s not new and outside of Nintendo, virtually every publisher does it.

And what’s funny about Xbox Core? Is it also funny when Nintendo makes changes to their online service, or when Sony makes three tiers to their service? All of these sub services make changes to provide better experiences and get more money from you.

Per usual, you’re trying to play chess when the game is Candy Land. It’s not difficult stuff, but I love watching you guys twist yourselves like pretzels with all this nonsense.

Not going to bother responding to you again here, but please keep it up 😆

You believed Jez Corden about Xbox exclusives, didn't you? Come ooooooon... just admit iiiiit.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Gamepass needs more subs. COD could help that. But they need more boxes sold too, so that's an issue.
Time to super cheap the series S, or super cheap the series X, launch a $99 streaming box with controller included, or launch a handheld to get more boxes out there.
That or get gamepass on other systems........

I still don't understand why they don't, at least at this point, drop the X to $299 and the S to $199 and give a year or 2 of gamepass for free. I mean they own most of the games on the service, so that actual out of pocket cost for every gamer they bring in would be very little, since likely they were not buying an xbox anyhow........ unless they are paying too much to third party devs and EA for each sub.
In this economy, price and value matters.

It's funny because... we understand finance?

Putting COD on Game Pass absolutely undermines the entire profitability of the franchise -- aka one of the reasons Microsoft gobbled up ABK in the first place. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that hypothetically 18 million or so people who have Game Pass are also COD players. Instead of buying COD, they'll just get it "free" on Game Pass without spending a dollar more than what they've already paid. 18 million potentially lost sales at $70 a pop. That's 1.26 BILLION in lost sales. More than Game Pass earns Microsoft in a quarter.

The number of people who will buy it on PlayStation platforms remains roughly the same. The number of people who will buy it on Xbox platforms will significantly decrease. You really believe COD alone is going to drive enough new Game Pass subscriptions to cover the loss?

As to your primary topic question, the reason she didn't come right out and say it can be answered in two words:
Plausible deniability.
Willy Wonka Smile GIF

adamsapple adamsapple idk if you remember but this Nydius Nydius person that was just saying it won't be on gamepass is the same guy that sent a bunch of laugh emojis on my posts and told me I "must not be keen on reading" when I suggested that the ABK merger would go through even after the CMA blocked it. I've never seen someone so hilariously wrong about everything while being so rude and arrogant to those that disagree with him. Just makes this second dunk on him feel even better. Big day for me. I'm petty.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I mean... who cares

Call of duty people are going to buy and play Call of duty whether it's on gamepass or psplus or whatever...

This really isn't as big of an issue as gamers want it to be. There's far more shit MS is doing wrong right now than whether cod will be on gamepass
You can’t just blurt these things out. Putting CoD on Gamepass will affect revenue for Xbox and Microsoft.

That affects a lot more than just gamers. They need a solid plan before they announce it.

Last edited:

jwaxeman

You can’t just blurt these things out. Putting CoD on Gamepass will affect revenue for Xbox and Microsoft.

That affects a lot more than just gamers. They need a solid plan before they announce it.
It may come with a tiered price increase. Or maybe not, honestly if their game pass subs and console sales are this bad what do they really have to lose if 7/10 copies of the game will be sold on PS5 and PC anyway.

Top Bottom