• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do JonTron & others get the Free Speech defense, but Phil Fish didn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I know there's been a million things said about JonTron's Twitch stream and all the bullshit that followed, but what I want to focus on is this selective use gamers have on "Freedom of Speech". JonTron was scorned for spreading outright falsehoods and bullshit statistics like "Wealthy blacks commmit more crimes than poor whites" and the biggest defense that his rabid fanbase can come up with is "Legally, he has the right to say that." Likewise with PewDiePie. Disney cut off all ties with him because of what they saw as anti-semitic content on his show. "But freedom of speech!" is the rally cry as to why Disney shouldn't do what they please with property they own, for some reason.

Meanwhile, there's Phil Fish. Responded brashly to a question on his opinion of Japanese games by saying "Your games just suck." Did he get people rushing in to defend him with "freedom of speech"? Did he become a martyr in a certain section of the gaming community like JonTron and PDP? Nah. Instead, he was harassed for so long and so often that he straight-up quit making video games four years ago.

So why the selective use of this defense tactic? People seriously think slandering games is a more disgusting thing than outright racism and xenophobia? Where were these 1st Amendment defenders when Phil was getting doxxed for a statement a portion of gamers themselves would say? Is the Free Speech argument just only going to be used when Youtube "stars" decide to slander entire groups of people?

georly

Phil Fish didn't have millions of youtube subscribers

He's an indie dev, not a youtube star with young fans.

sphagnum

Banned
What Fish said has no way of influencing the youth to vote for the far right and thus isn't really worth defending by fascists.

Well, Phil actually worked (still works) in the business, instead of just commenting on it. I'm sure the influence of your words affects you differently depending on that relationship to the industry.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The same reason why covering up underage girls during localization "that's censorship!1!" brigade but not stuff like Overwatch comics being banned in Russia for depicting LBGTQ. It's because these people don't actually give a shit about free speech, or censorship, or artistic freedom, etc.

What Fish said has no way of influencing the youth to vote for the far right and thus isn't really worth defending by fascists/moderates.
Added a little something but that's also a really blunt way of putting it.

massoluk

Banned
1. JONTRON shouldn't get a free speech defense. He is not going to jail for that racist speech

2. Aside from that, Phil Fish never pretends to be some form of news media outlet.

Cause people like Jontron and his content but not Phil Fish. It's stupid, but that's what it is.

Personally I think the things Jon said were disgusting but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy his content though.

i'd think it's because of the whole political scenery we're living now. for people with prejudices, racism, etc, it's far more interesting to defend their ability to spew those type of things.

The same reason why covering up underage girls during localization gets a "censorship" brigade but not stuff like Overwatch comics being banned in Russia for depicting LBGTQ. It's because these people don't actually give a shit about free speech, or censorship.
and this. it's not really about free speech.

Guess Who

Banned
Because to a certain very fucked segment of people, saying "minority oppression isn't real" is a hard truth all the cucks and libtards need to hear, and "Japanese games are shit" is a blasphemous statement against a country that puts out brave, non-PC games full of underage anime tiddy that only offend Puritans and feminazis.

Lime

Freedom of speech has been polluted so much that it just is a smoke screen for being allowed to say bigot shit without repercussions. It's not about the actual concept of freedom of speech, but just being allowed to say whatever you want to hurt others without the victims being allowed to say anything back.

DNAbro

It's the same reason why some people defend controversial things in games, but the second you talk anything "social justicey" in games they go ballistic.

Though Phil Fish was kind of dick before actually creating something worthwhile also was a part of it.

As others have said, it's not about free speech. And the defense is brought out by folks who don't really understand free speech anyways.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Let's start with the fact that Phil Fish voluntarily left the gaming industry two years ago out of a desire for privacy , segue into the increasingly tenuous connection of the thread topic to gaming, stop by "sometimes people give the benefit of the doubt to people they like and not to those they don't", and finally end with "actually, plenty of people had no problem with Phil Fish speaking his mind, and plenty of people are against JonTron's racist garbage, so it's not even clear that either of the things in the thread title are true"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom