• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does everyone complain about this generation?

Topher

Gold Member
Honestly, my tag should say "Fact Speaker." Someone with bad opinions gave me this tag.

Office Space No GIF

Hard to call it a "generation" when nearly every game is also released on last-generation hardware too. The new generation consoles have gotten very very few great games exclusive to this generation.

I keep seeing people on this board, Twitter, Reddit, etc. complaining about how shitty games are these days and I'm having a hard time agreeing.

Yes, there are loads of incredibly greedy business practices, crunch for developers, broken promises, your "Red Falls" and "LOTR: Gollums" and myriad issues plaguing the industry. PC hardware prices have been bad recently and there has been a piss-poor track record of ports this last year or two.

But at the end of the day, we're getting some pretty damn incredible games very frequently. Despite my absolute best efforts, I simply cannot keep up.

This year alone has been a non-stop force-feeding of incredible game after incredible game. whycantIholdallthesegames.jpg.

Tears of the Kingdom just came out and while I'm reeling from that. BOOM. Diablo 4, Street Fighter 6, Final Fantasy XVI. Hell, even Boltgun is awesome and just came out!

Are people just playing a few genres and getting frustrated when something good doesn't fall within their limited view?

If you're one of these people, I'd love to know your reasoning.

A lot of the people complaining are older and they complain because they were around when gaming was constantly improving from new tech, better graphics to a consistent stream of new game releases.

Yes, this year has been great but a lot of that is because the games releasing now were delayed the past couple years. Even now as we look ahead pass this year it doesn't look great, I mean just look at the mediocre PlayStation showcase a few weeks ago.

At the end of the day, people just got to accept that gaming will never be what it use to be.

Last edited:
You just answered your question. Every single one of those are easily possible on a PS4. Why do we need this new generation?
i have no appreciation whatsoever of detailed discussion regarding fps, or graphics effects, or any other tech aspects, but i feel i can say, with a good amount of confidence, that you are correct. i am, for the most part, playing the same quality games on the ps5 that i played on the ps4. not seeing any genuinely striking differences...

Last edited:
Fewer and fewer big games. And the variety with aaa games isn't the best amymore unfortunately.
Bingo

The AAA gaming space has declined significantly and its an issue because most people want to play AAA games. Its why people go out to buy a new TV, sound system or high end PC.

I think zelda proves that its the devs who no longer have the passion, the talent or the ambition to pull off these massive leaps we have come to expect.
The problem isn't the devs its the publishers/ companies funding the projects. They only care about making money, so they won't fund innovative projects for fear of the game bombing. This is also the reason so many games being released are broken at launch because they don't care about the quality of the games they are putting out. Especially when they have already made money off preorders.

SenkiDala

Everyone complain about every generation, to finally, at the next generation, say "ah the previous generation was so great, this one sucks".

I've seen this with Resident Evil franchise as well. It is a franchise I follow since the very first game on PS, in Japanese, and that was exactly this...
"Huh, RE2 sucks, where's the fucking mansion? And wtf with all this action ? RE1 was so great they're shitting on the franchise."
"Huh, RE3 sucks, the game's so short, and wtf more action? And fuck Nemesis he's annoying ! RE2 was so great, they're shitting on the franchise"
"Huh, RECV sucks, wtf with the 3D camera moving, it was better with preredenred background, and wtf those action cinematics ? RE3 was so much better it is the last tru3 RE game, they're shitting on the franchise"
"Huh, RE4 sucks wtf now a full action game??? Mikami are you fucking high ? There's nothing that says "Resident Evil" in this franchise anymore, they really shitting on the franchise"
"Huh, RE5 sucks, wtf in Africa now? And with more actions??? and coop? it's not even scary anymore, RE4 was the perfect revolutionary action game. They're shitting on franchise"
"Huh, RE6 sucks, they didn't know what game to make so they took a little of RE3, 4 and 5, but everything sucks so much, and now again more action, it's out of control, Capcom stop, you're shitting on the Franchise, RE5 was great now that I think about it".
"Huh, RE7 sucks, it's almost not connected to the RE lore anymore, and a FPS ? Seriously ? There's no respect anymore in this world, RE6 was a fun game after all, they're shitting on the franchise"
"Huh, REVillage sucks, werewolves ? And why not the fucking leprechaun or Carrie ? There's still enough shit in their ass to keep shitting on the franchise after all those years?"

(was very fun to write and I can assure you that it's sadly very accurate :D)

Last edited:

angrod14

I feel every generation is better than the last. PS4 was incredible with Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Part II, and many others. This gen we have 60 fps and 1440p as standard with incredible graphics, ultra fast memory, and we already have great games: Demon Souls, Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy, RE4 REMAKE (the GOAT, goater than ever), etc. We obviously haven't seen la creme de la creme, but I think that's what makes it exciting: THE BEST IS YET TO COME.

Last edited:

Neo_game

SSD, loading times is the only big upgrade and 60fps option Otherwise it is by far the worst leap from the previous gen.

Del_X

There are plenty of AA and indie games that are great.
The AAA space is broken. Broken releases, hardly any titles taking advantage of current gen hardware. Both prior gens had a decent number of technically-impressive bangers in year two. We're now in year three and just getting started.

Knightime_X

Every single one of those are easily possible on a PS4. Why do we need this new generation?
I remember playing Final Fantasy 7 remake and wondered why I couldn't find any of the super shitty looking textures. Like the N64 door in midgar.
Then I remembered, I was playing the ps5 version and those shit graphics were on ps4.

Motto of the story is just because last gen can do it doesn't mean it can do it well.
There will ALWAYS be a need for a new generation when last gen fails to present quality at an acceptable standard of quality and performance.

Scotty W

It was unnecessary. It happened because you have to release a new console every 5 years.

The leap from 16 to 32 bit was huge. The next gen leap was less so. The following leaps have been invisible to all but obsessives like us.

If you've been gaming long enough you'd know this is the first gen where devs stopped trying to make "next gen" graphics. That's really frustrating for a lot of us.

Also, while there are still great games, the amount of BULLSHIT we put up with from these companies today is worse than ever and puts a damper on my overall enjoyment of this hobby.

Everyone complain about every generation, to finally, at the next generation, say "ah the previous generation was so great, this one sucks".

I've seen this with Resident Evil franchise as well. It is a franchise I follow since the very first game on PS, in Japanese, and that was exactly this...
"Huh, RE2 sucks, where's the fucking mansion? And wtf with all this action ? RE1 was so great they're shitting on the franchise."
"Huh, RE3 sucks, the game's so short, and wtf more action? And fuck Nemesis he's annoying ! RE2 was so great, they're shitting on the franchise"
"Huh, RECV sucks, wtf with the 3D camera moving, it was better with preredenred background, and wtf those action cinematics ? RE3 was so much better it is the last tru3 RE game, they're shitting on the franchise"
"Huh, RE4 sucks wtf now a full action game??? Mikami are you fucking high ? There's nothing that says "Resident Evil" in this franchise anymore, they really shitting on the franchise"
"Huh, RE5 sucks, wtf in Africa now? And with more actions??? and coop? it's not even scary anymore, RE4 was the perfect revolutionary action game. They're shitting on franchise"
"Huh, RE6 sucks, they didn't know what game to make so they took a little of RE3, 4 and 5, but everything sucks so much, and now again more action, it's out of control, Capcom stop, you're shitting on the Franchise, RE5 was great now that I think about it".
"Huh, RE7 sucks, it's almost not connected to the RE lore anymore, and a FPS ? Seriously ? There's no respect anymore in this world, RE6 was a fun game after all, they're shitting on the franchise"
"Huh, REVillage sucks, werewolves ? And why not the fucking leprechaun or Carrie ? There's still enough shit in their ass to keep shitting on the franchise after all those years?"

(was very fun to write and I can assure you that it's sadly very accurate :D)

While what you said is true you're also making a false equivalence between this gen and previous generation.

There is something different about this gen when it comes to next gen experiences. Whatever the reason (covid, x86, recession, publisher greed, lack of ambition, diminishing returns, 60 fps); every gen except for this one felt like a big leap in tech.

BossLackey

Gold Member
If you've been gaming long enough you'd know this is the first gen where devs stopped trying to make "next gen" graphics. That's really frustrating for a lot of us.

Uhh what? You're saying that just universally, across the board, all devs just decided together "hey, this is the year we pull the wool over their eyes and stop trying to advance graphics".

LMAO

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have been gaming long enough that I no longer give rat ass if they make "next gen" graphics or not, If the game fun to play then thats all I need.

Also its not like we getting "horrible" visuals, some of you guys not getting "OMG GRAPHICS!" you were hoping for. Its not end of the world, you can still play and enjoy the games.

GenericUser

I don't know. But I think developers should abandon the people that do nothing but complain. It seems to be impossible to satisfy these people. It's a waste of resources. Like last weeks sony show. The show was filled to the brim with new games and yet most people did nothing but complain about the show. I understand that maybe there wasn't a single game you might be interested in, but the show itself, the presentation, the pace, was superb.

tl;dr: don't listen to old blokes on internet forums.

This generation has barely even started. Do people forget COVID?
The COVID excuse strikes yet again...
michael-jordan-warped-laugh-37c1945cq378tgwl.gif

The correct answers are...
Diminishing returns are a real thing, and not only the gaming industry is affected by this (look at smartphones for an example).
Lack of talent, developers still haven't embraced DirectStorage which has been available for years for example.
Huge amount $$$ involved (a lot of financial risks) needed to push the envelope.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
I have been gaming long enough that I no longer give rat ass if they make "next gen" graphics or not, If the game fun to play then thats all I need.

Also its not like we getting "horrible" visuals, some of you guys not getting "OMG GRAPHICS!" you were hoping for. Its not end of the world, you can still play and enjoy the games.
This is EXACTLY where I'm at. It's not like we're getting these garbage looking games. There are a TON of games recently that look fucking fantastic graphically. But I'm here for the gameplay first and foremost with art style being after that. Graphics are like 4th or 5th on my list of "what makes a good game".

Feels like a lot of people are just wanting larger poly counts and higher-res textures.

In my opinion, we've already reached a minimum level of fidelity on pretty much any AAA game where the goal should no longer be "make betuh gwaphics" and instead innovating in gameplay and artstyle/presentation. I do hope and expect graphical fidelity to constantly improve, but if that's what people are concerned about primarily with new games, then I don't think we have much in common in terms of what we're looking for out of the medium.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Some can't enjoy games anymore, they want novelty for the sake of it and get frustrated because they don't get enough.

They should play some games (or maybe stop doing so?) to distract from reality

ssringo

They complain about "this generation" because they can. If the stuff they complain about didn't happen they'd have something else to piss and moan about then you'd have a slightly different thread title and I'd have a slightly different response.

Complaining is a pastime and outrage is an industry. Join in or ignore people/threads.

Happy Love You GIF by Susanne Lamb

CGNoire

So a game must be impossible to play on the previous generation in order to be good? Nonsense.
Clear as day that isnt at all what he said.
Why you playing dumb?

Its not about being "good" since even ps2 games are still really good. Its about having a true honest reason to spend $550+ on a new system upgrade and then pay an additional $10 fee per game. Without proof that they actually care about pushing the hardware what exactly is my reason to upgrade?

Why not then just make PS4 the last gaming console if it clearly represents the peak of graphical ambition this industry has? I have zero interests in upgrading if all it does is put more money into there corporate coffers.

mrmustard

Banned
Possible reasons:

- People are getting older and more demanding
- The graphical leaps are getting smaller and smaller
- AAAs play it save
- Small AAA genre variety
- Too many remakes/remaster
- Many sequels feel and look like more of the same.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Uhh what? You're saying that just universally, across the board, all devs just decided together "hey, this is the year we pull the wool over their eyes and stop trying to advance graphics".

LMAO
No its publishers who did it by not increasing the budget despite record profits.

Its not about lazy devs (although they definitly lack ambition) its about Greedy Ass Publishers who wont fit the bill.

L*][*N*K

Banned
You just answered your question. Every single one of those are easily possible on a PS4. Why do we need this new generation?
Tears of the Kingdom is not possible on PS4 because that game is developed by Nintendo and Nintendo doesn't make games for the PS4.

Chastten

Banned
Honestly, at this point I'm pretty much convinced that a lot of GAF doesn't particularly enjoy games but fail to realize that. Or at least not as much anymore as they did when they were younger. And I mean, that's logical. Things simply don't 'wow' you as much anymore as you get older.

That being said, I'm personally having a blast. Sure, it's been close to two decades since a game last 'wowed' me but there's a constant stream of good to great games that I can still get hooked to. In fact, there's much more games, than I have time to play, even when limiting myself to one of two platforms and ignoring several genres.

Robb

Gold Member
To me it doesn’t even feel like we moved up one gen from last gen. We’re about 3 years in and outside of faster loading times most games are cross-gen or feel like they could’ve been made for last gen systems.

There’s plenty of good games and I’m playing a lot of great stuff for sure, but it feels like 95% of what I’m playing doesn’t motivate a generational leap.

Last edited:

gimmmick

Generally speaking, negative or critical opinions dominate social media and forum discussions these days.

As a Nintendo fan, I think the Switch may be the best console Nintendo has ever made and its run is still going.

GameCube still holds that title for me but Jesus Christ this handheld / console has gone up and beyond. This and snes remake will be my son’s first gaming console experience when he’s old enough. (16 months).

gimmmick

To me it doesn’t even fell like we moved up one gen from last gen. We’re about 3 years in and outside of faster loading times most games are cross-gen or feel like they could’ve been made for last gen systems.

There’s plenty of good games and I’m playing a lot of great stuff for sure, but it feels like 95% of what I’m playing doesn’t motivate a generational leap.

Technology has gotten to the point of diminishing returns. The same reason your new iPhone isn’t as exciting as your iPhone 4 released back in 2010.

Because I don't want to play on hardware with 1 minute loading times while they fly off the shelves like jet engines? Also I'm not gonna buy 2k$ graphics cards to play digital only games, so it has to be consoles.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Complaining? Not from my side. Elden Ring. GT7. RE4R. Zelda TotK. On the contrary; I'm very pleased.

Duchess

I actually get the impression that the average age of most Gaffers is over 35. Am I right?

If so, the reason we're all complaining is because we've seen it all before, and we're expecting a lot more! :)

Vlodril

Everyone is whining about every single thing it's not just this generation. No idea if it was always thus and the internet brought it in the spotlight or we just have changed the last decade or so.

Fabieter

Because I don't want to play on hardware with 1 minute loading times while they fly off the shelves like jet engines? Also I'm not gonna buy 2k$ graphics cards to play digital only games, so it has to be consoles.

You will be able to play ps6 games if you buy a 2k graphics card tho. And sadly physical games will go away on consoles as well.

Robb

Gold Member
Technology has gotten to the point of diminishing returns. The same reason your new iPhone isn’t as exciting as your iPhone 4 released back in 2010.
I don’t entirely disagree, but the main issue is publishers not moving on imo and still being tethered to systems with hardware from 2013.

We’ve already seen stuff like the Matrix demo running in a playable state. Yet not a single game is anywhere close 3 years in to the generation. Doubt we’d be seeing much complaining if we had gotten that jump.

Top Bottom