• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why does some renaming work and others don't?

Neo_GAF

Banned
yesterday i saw fc24 and was wondering, what the hell that is only, until i realized, that ea supposedly has lost the fifa licence.
no one seems to care, as the usual "FIFA"-fan is still able to buy his preditory cashgrab sim.

i really wonder, why some name rebrands work and others wont.

wii u being the elephant in the room coming from a super successful console only to crash and burn from the first minute.
xbox one also being such an pedo-offender, where i thought, that ms will equally crash and burn(they burned for other reasons)

same goes for the playstation portal: friends of mine tell me, that the portal is going to be a ps5 but in handheldform which is not right. despite those misinformation, that device is pre-ordered by many and already outsold.

GAF, please explain.

BlackTron

same goes for the playstation portal: friends of mine tell me, that the portal is going to be a ps5 but in handheldform which is not right. despite those misinformation, that device is pre-ordered by many and already outsold.

That sounds like a reason for it to be sold out, not for less preorders!

Neo_GAF

Banned
That sounds like a reason for it to be sold out, not for less preorders!
not sure, if this is a reason. it is misinformation, to think you could play with this device alone ps5 games. you need a ps5 before you can play on your toilet.

Shifty1897

What kills me is that naming your device doesn't have to be hard. Nintendo and Microsoft have each shot themselves in the foot at least twice in the last 12 years with naming things like 2DS, New 3DS, Wii U, and the Xbox One / Series naming. Meanwhile: Sony just names the PlayStation [number] and it works great.

Maybe they should have named the Vita the PSP 2 though.

Im sure its all focus tested for public reaction, but all the people in the focus groups are out of touch blithering dopeheads so the results are completely botched lol

BlackTron

not sure, if this is a reason. it is misinformation, to think you could play with this device alone ps5 games. you need a ps5 before you can play on your toilet.

If people believe the misinformation, it is a reason to preorder. Assuming you agree a portable PS5 is a desirable product. Saying "People preorder despite this misinformation that makes it more desirable" does not make much sense.

Funny enough. Many people didn't know the Wii U was its own new system and didn't require old Wii. The PS5, which actually IS an add-on tablet for the console, people think it's a standalone handheld and preorders sold out. LOL

Neo_GAF

Banned
If people believe the misinformation, it is a reason to preorder. Assuming you agree a portable PS5 is a desirable product. Saying "People preorder despite this misinformation that makes it more desirable" does not make much sense.

Funny enough. Many people didn't know the Wii U was its own new system and didn't require old Wii. The PS5, which actually IS an add-on tablet for the console, people think it's a standalone handheld and preorders sold out. LOL
i agree a portable ps5 is a desirable product. but the misinformation of a standalone handheld makes people pre-order the ps PORTAL makes no sense for me.

sorry if my description is misunderstandable, english is not my native tongue.

I guess bad names deliver more anecdotal stories than actually hurting the product. Not knowing what PS Portal actually is, is imho such cases.
Now and then dumb names might lead to some lost sale due a confused parent or whatever but overall I think the Wii-U was kinda pointless, not what what anyone wanted of the gamecube3.0/wii2.0 , Vita had an actual good price but naysayers pounded the memory card price and Xbox names are generally odd, but hardly its main or even a real problem.

Top Bottom