• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has Sony less communication problems with the West than Nintendo?

fireflame

The recent incident with Axiom Verge brought back an old ghost, the common issues Nintendo sometimes has to communicate properly with people in the West, whether it is about developers or players. I am wondering why this seems specific to Nintendo, as Sony, which is a Japanese company too, does not seem to have that many problems with third party developers or players.

Some Nintendo fans say that people are just not smart enough to understand Nintendo and that Nintendo has nothing to be blamed for, but I feel some mistakes in the past could easily have been avoided.

Why does Sony appear to deal more peacefully with people most of times?

jonno394

"Some nintnedo fans say that people are just not smart enough to understand Nintendo and that Nintnendo has nothing to be blamed for"

Really?

FelipeMGM

The recent incident with Axiom Verge brought back an old ghost, the common issues Nintendo sometimes has to communicate properly with people in the West, whether it is about developers or players. I am wondering why this seems specific to Nintendo, as Sony, which is a Japanese company too, does not seem to have that many problems with third party developers or players.

Some Nintendo fans say that people are just not smart enough to understand Nintendo and that Nintendo has nothing to be blamed for, but I feel some mistakes in the past could easily have been avoided.

Sony HQ is in Japan, but the PlayStation (SIE) headquarters are not in Japan anymore, now they are in San Mateo in California

-shadow-

Because they actually bother communicating instead of not even trying. They figured that the industry is mostly outside of Japan these days while Nintendo keeps their focus on Japan. Just look at how Iwata went to NOA because he admitted he had no idea how the world worked outside of Japan.

Probably because people don't take singular examples from Sony as indicative of larger scale issues...

And Sony probably has much more Western influence within the upper management than Nintendo does

All the reasons people are saying, plus Sony has strong North American and European first party development. Nintendo basically just has Retro which is a shell of its former self.

My, no doubt incorrect, take on this is that Nintendo is an ultra-traditional, old-fashioned Japanese company. The stubborn old farts make the decisions and they don't listen to the younger members of staff and the certainly don't listen to their American marketing team. Which is unfortunate given that the biggest market for their products is young Americans.

Sony seems to take a more modern approach and is more willing to pay attention to developments in foreign markets.

The CEO was American based, and he used to head the PlayStation division.

Because of their electronics and movie businesses they have always been more exposed to western ideas, Nintendo has its niche and is very hesitant to move beyond, or at least they were. They only embraced mobile in 2016 for goodness sake.

Compare them to an old japanese veteran discovered in the jungle still thinking he's at war

This is by far my number one issue with Nintendo, but it's all a matter of autonomy and budget. It really needs to change.

"Some nintnedo fans say that people are just not smart enough to understand Nintendo and that Nintnendo has nothing to be blamed for"

Really?

Yeah, I don't think anyone has ever said this.

You mean the incident that was nothing and people jumped the gun?

https://twitter.com/AxiomVerge/status/857442880834592769

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sony, especially PlayStation, is basically a Western operation from top to bottom.

That said, I'm confused about what this thread is about re: Nintendo.

Papacheeks

Banned
It's mainly because Sony doesn't do all their decision making from one branch in Japan like Nintendo mostly does.

They let Sony of America, and Sony of Europe to run their divisions as long as they are within guidelines set by the company.

Nintendo's decisions are mostly made in Kyoto and their parent branches in Europe/America have to go through Japan to get things green lit, and specifically certain people within Nintendo of Japan have to ok it.
Which is why Nintendo makes weird decisions that seem out of touch with the rest of teh industry.

If NOA, and NOE would have their way Youtube wouldn't be an issue, region locking in the early days would not have been an issue.
Nintendo makes most of all their decisions by Japan and mostly by a specific group of people.

Sony transitioned to being global a lot more than Nintendo. There's several members of Sony's board that have been occupied by non-Japanese people for several years now. Sony is also bigger with several of its products in the past relying on the American market.
While Nintendo's profits can be sourced a huge chunk from North America, they didn't have to release and change games specifically for the North American market to do so, there hasn't been a pressing need to add more non-Japanese people to their board. The Axiom Verge issue is probably not related to the Japanese culture but trying to make their digital storefront a selling point

I would guess Nintendo JP is super controlling over its western wings and everything has to be approved where as PlayStation has always let it's branches do their own thing for a lot of stuff like for example dealing with developers. Sometimes that means Sony regions don't sync on some things but for the most part it's worked.

Plus Nintendo seems to either micro manage the hell out of its releases or opens the flood gates to anything and Meme Run happens. There is no middle ground with Nintendo.

Kusagari

Sony can't be as old fashioned Japanese, for lack of better terminology, simply because of how many pies they have their fingers in. They've long had to embrace more western ideology in the company at large.

I believe Sony is better staffed in this department than Nintendo do work load is spread it better and communication is better.

JoeM86

What was the axiom verge incident?

If I read correctly, Nintendo are being a bit picky with ports onto the Switch at early life and so haven't approved it. But I may be wrong.

It's not really a communication problem though. They do have one, but indies are saying it has improved dramatically.

Nanashrew

Banned
Playstation has become a western business and moved SIE to America.

However, I would like for NoE and NoA to have more autonomy and have more influence in decision making and communication.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
They aren't isolated in Kyoto and actually give their American and European branches a lot of input and power in those territories.

The fact that there was miscommunication in the first place is a problem no?

Because Dan Adelman was spouting his mouth off and calling former employees douche bags.

Sorry, but not everything is Nintendo's fault and they've dramatically improved indie relationships.

ShinMaruku

Keep in mind Sony's CEOs fromStringer on had West based CEOs becoming CEOS. Kaz for example worked at Sony in the US for many man years.

The fact that there was miscommunication in the first place is a problem no?

Not really, unless you think the "Nintendo" they were referring to is the entire company when in actuality it was probably a single sales rep responsible for them that was probably confused.

This article is a good read that reveals Nintendo's poor management of its relationship with Indie developers.

It all boils down to just a mixture of incompetence and arrogance on Nintendo's part. They really are a stubborn company that's adverse to change and seem to be stuck in early 90s.

No, it reveals the relationship with less than a handful of developers. We can easily find articles for many more with nothing, but positive things to say. I'll say it again, people need to stop attributing a few people to a large problem. It's especially ironic since people here SHAT on Polygon for doing the same thing (taking a few devs comments as large scale sentiment)

Because Kaz gets it. He doesn't see Sony as a Japanese company. He sees Sony as a global company.

Many Japanese executives from SONY like Kaz and Yoshida have studied abroad and learned English this made them more sensible and aware of global tendencies and practices. I don't think that's the case with Nintendo executives, besides the late Iwata, I don't think any of Nintendo's top executives speak English.

Top Bottom