• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why hasn't Microsoft added Activision-Blizzard games to Gamepass yet?

NickFire

Older stuff will get added soon I bet. Most recent games may have marketing agreement restrictions that need to expire first.

Just a guess, but I would expect the switch to get flipped on older stuff either when they start explaining where all the internet smoke is coming from, or when US and EU sales numbers for December come out.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Microsoft bought Bethesda in March 2021.

Titles that added after 1 week;

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
The Evil Within
Morrowind
Doom 1, 2, 3, 64
Dishonered

Titles that added after 3 months;

The Evil Within 2
Fallout 1,2, Tactics
Dishonered: Death of the Outsider

After 5 months;

Quake 1-2-3

After 17 months!!!(why??)

Quake 4
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein 3D

If they can add such big games in the first week, they could have at least added some old Activision games as well. Hopefully, we won't have to wait 17 months for some games. Can't wait to shoot some people as Homelander!!!

Microsoft bought Bethesda in March 2021.

Titles that added after 1 week;

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
The Evil Within
Morrowind
Doom 1, 2, 3, 64
Dishonered

Titles that added after 3 months;

The Evil Within 2
Fallout 1,2, Tactics
Dishonered: Death of the Outsider

After 5 months;

Quake 1-2-3

After 17 months!!!(why??)

Quake 4
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein 3D

If they can add such big games in the first week, they could have at least added some old Activision games as well. Hopefully, we won't have to wait 17 months for some games. Can't wait to shoot some people as Homelander!!!

Why put every catalog item on your subscription service and then have nothing left to add?

Phase

No need to when they're flying high from Halo
Soaring!

halocomp.png

halocomp2.png

Isn't the point of Game Pass instant access to first-party games? Why would they hold them back?

Back catalog is a bit different especially compared to tv/movies.

If you can play all the games available and of interest on gamepass within 3-6 months, how do you retain those people? New content alone becomes very challenging.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Back catalog is a bit different especially compared to tv/movies.

If you can play all the games available and of interest on gamepass within 3-6 months, how do you retain those people? New content alone becomes very challenging.
Yeah, games are different. Games like Wow, Cod and Diablo can keep many people on service for years. You're right about other games; that's Game Pass's biggest challenge. However, it's Phil's job to retain more people without upsetting them by holding back their catalog.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I hope there will be a statement about this issue next week. I'm starting to feel like they're trying to cover this up:messenger_grinning_sweat: . It seems they're not trusting Gamepass anymore and enjoying money coming from everywhere else.

For reference, they put over 20 Bethesda Games on GamePass a few days after the purchase.

But I'm sure that doesn't mean anything, purely a coincidence.
Right. It's one of 2 reasons, IMO.

1. They're holding the Activision Game Pass drop until this thing next week to soften the blow.

2. Game Pass is changing in some way and not all the games will show up there.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
It's 2024 and there's still no news about these games. Has the deal still not been finalized? Why are we still waiting?
They will add blackthorne for you. Also Lost Vikings if you behave nicely : DD. Plus Wow Burning Crusade, only. Maybe some other chipichapa, chupi,chapa like games.

Last edited:

twilo99

Later this year? Oh man, I think they are still enjoying the sweet money coming from those games. I believe they are not satisfied with the financial return from their own service.

I don’t think they’ve ever seen anything like what CoD is bringing in when it comes to “gaming” so they might be in awe

Last edited:

Zheph

It's pretty clear that the CFO and others above Phil are done subsidizing Xbox and taking losses.
They've been doing everything they can to generate more money, slashing the rewards program, charging extra money for real release dates "early access", raising GP price, etc.
It looks like Phil has been lying more and promising too much internally than externally

tmlDan

I hope there will be a statement about this issue next week. I'm starting to feel like they're trying to cover this up:messenger_grinning_sweat: . It seems they're not trusting Gamepass anymore and enjoying money coming from everywhere else.
its not coming, i bet you Satya saw that GP is not financially viable for a game and franchise like COD.

Less and less day one triple A games will come to the service, thats what i bet will happen.

RickMasters

Why put every catalog item on your subscription service and then have nothing left to add?
Well I just hope tony hawks is in the first batch. Maybe they add some ABK games as part of some big marketing push for gamepass later in the year. They could easily start with tony hawks and BC cod titles. … adding crash bandicoot and whatever else through out the year….

I don’t see new CODs going on gamepass until a year after release when the new one roles around each year. Diablo4…… that’s a tricky one…. Maybe what people don’t spend on the full game they spend on DLC/MTX instead on gamepass? I don’t know. But it does have a live service element in a way that something like forza horizon does… yeah you can play it alone but it has all this other online stuff that adds to it. We’ll see soon enough.

tmlDan

They are supposed to have a business update next week. I'm guessing that they start adding these games to soften the impact of any business updates. What is so funny about that guess?
did you not read the news? they're likely pulling day 1 games from GP more than they are adding big games like COD. Why would they soften the blow by making less money?

silentstorm

Contracts?

Pretty sure Sony had some to stop Call Of Duty from being on Game Pass and the topic of games on Game Pass must have come to court, i recall Microsoft gave a bit away when it comes to Cloud Gaming, so i am not sure, but maybe another condition was delaying Activision games on Game Pass too.

Zheph

Contracts?

Pretty sure Sony had some to stop Call Of Duty from being on Game Pass and the topic of games on Game Pass must have come to court, i recall Microsoft gave a bit away when it comes to Cloud Gaming, so i am not sure, but maybe another condition was delaying Activision games on Game Pass too.
that might cover the most recent games, what about the rest? It's not contracts

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Contracts?

Doesn't explain why nothing has come to Game Pass though. Backwards compatible games, catalog titles, smaller games, etc.. etc..

Not a peep.

NickFire

did you not read the news? they're likely pulling day 1 games from GP more than they are adding big games like COD. Why would they soften the blow by making less money?
Official or rumor?

Regardless, I'm expecting back catalogue games to get added. I doubt they can add current year COD because of marketing deal (regardless if they want to). No clue on Diablo.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Didn’t they say CoD won’t be added to Gamepass? What I did notice is that CoD titles are far more frequently on sale and with bigger discounts since MS took over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom