• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Hollywood filmmakers need to stop advertising LGBTQ characters who don’t exist

Korey

A good character is a character that is X which happens to Y. Anytime you say this character is a Y Character, it is bad writing.

Unlike different races, you won't know the sexual orientation of a character unless there is some time up relationship. Marvel movies don't really have relationships like that. Marvel TV does though.

.......what the fuck are you talking about?

I guess you haven't seen any "Marvel movies" then.

Like the one that literally came out two days ago. Or any that came before that.

Ragnarok might be the first Marvel movie to not feature any love interest. Ironically cuz Portman was tired of playing a love interest. The first Guardians didn't really have one outside of some small flirtation between Star Lord and Gamora.

Winter Soldier is also kind of a special case. The romance between Steve and Peggy from The First Avenger is resolved in a rather bitter-sweet way and he has barely any interaction with Agent 13. And Steve's relationship to BW isn't of romantic nature at all.

I think it's true that Marvel is a little scared to venture down that territory with their characters. They don't want to offend anyone with their movies but then that results in them falling back to their successful but straightforward same strategy they've been doing for years. Things are going to have to change post-Black Panther/Captain Marvel.

Bucky and Cap should've been a thing, specially after Civil War.

And lol people arguing there's no relationship stuff in Marvel movies? Every single movie has had an heterosexual pairing.

I wonder why it's still so dificult for Disney to feature LGBTQ+ characters prominently. What's the big fear? They are drowning in money, in case that's the principal worry.

If the hypothesis that it's for China is accurate (which is questionable when Star Trek Beyond opened in China) it'll be interesting for series that haven't opened in China. Folks are expecting Gotham City Sirens to embrace the Harley and Ivy relationship.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

And lol people arguing there's no relationship stuff in Marvel movies? Every single movie has had an heterosexual pairing.

I wonder why it's still so dificult for Disney to feature LGBTQ+ characters prominently. What's the big fear? They are drowning in money, in case that's the principal worry.

share holders are not content with however much money you have today

The nature of being a publicly traded company is that you can never have enough money. There's no such thing as too much of it.

Zero315

Banned
I generally agree, but there needs to be at least a baseline in how you write/present the characters. or we'll end up with more offensive characters like the two walking stereotypes/child predators in Persona 5. Unfortunately, we've had very few characters in any mainstream media who even lives up to that baseline so far.
I agree, but it's not that hard to do. Just don't write offensive stereotypes. Which is why it boggles the mind that gay characters are still written like that, Persona 5 is a particularly egregious example. But the excuses that always pop up in threads like these are tiring, such as "gay characters need to be written like x, y, and z" or the character being gay should basically be flavor text, or "I can't relate to gay characters so I only want them if there isn't a romance aspect".

Winter Soldier is also kind of a special case. The romance between Steve and Peggy from The First Avenger is resolved in a rather bitter-sweet way and he has barely any interaction with Agent 13. And Steve's relationship to BW isn't of romantic nature at all.

A lot of the conversations between Cap and BW had to do with his love life.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that these are international products, they could probably be just fine with an LGBTQ+ pairing, for the most part, in America and Europe. But they want these things to be successful even in parts of the world where that certainly wouldn't fly. That's why LGBTQ+ pairings tend to be more common in popular TV than in popular films, as TV series aren't exported quite as far and wide as films.

That's not to justify this or say it's right at all. It's absolutely not, but from what I've read it international audiences are a big part of the reason.

A lot of the conversations between Cap and BW had to do with his love life.

On a surface level, yes. On a deeper level they were about Steve being unable to let go of his past. They are talking about dating but the romance/relationship aspect is secondary.

I mean, not that it really matters for the topic at hand, I was just clarifying.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Meh, the Netflixverse is part of the MCU in name only.

The argument that gay characters need to be "well written" is some bullshit. Straight characters don't need to justify their existence, so why do gay characters need all these prerequisites?

Oh, so we're moving the goal posts then?

Oh, so we're moving the goal posts then?

No. That stuff is as canonical to the films as the old Star Wars EU was. (Read: Not at all). The TV team at Marvel is a wholly separate entity from Marvel Studios, there was always poor communication between the two groups, but now that the film studio is seperate from the rest of Marvel, there's next-to-no collaboration between the two.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I know people at work who would start riots if Luke turns out gay. I personally don't care about the issue. A good story/movie is a good story/movie. If movies have it it's fine but I don't think they should force the issue and put it in films just for the sake of it.

I'm trying to figure out who in the Guardians universe could be a homosexual or bisexual, since Gomorrah and Peter are warming up to each other, Drax had a wife, Groot is a child, dunno about Yondu, not clear about Rocket.

It's definitely not a series without sexuality though.

Spoilers for Guardians 2:

Mantis. In the new movie Drax makes a big deal out of how he'd never sleep with her, and she tells him she doesn't like his kind of being.

There is one scene and one reference that portray Yondu as straight.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Is it ignorant to think the problem lies with how much a lgbt relationship is reported on, rather than how its portrayed in the media in question?

There are plenty of shitty hetero relationships so its only fair that lgbt ones can be not well written. I just think the fact that these characters are so publicized invites people to have a conversation, as though its a divisive topic. As though there is a conversation to have. How can it be normalized if people keep being invited to have a conversation about it?

Someone tell me if this is somehow offensive, i'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

Sexuality being the overriding characteristic to define a character is also problematic in its own. There is nothing wrong with writers making the sexuality of a gay character a background detail just as it is for a straight character. The bigger issue is when that sexuality becomes the entire driving force and representation of a character, as if gay people are two dimensional beings who are only defined by the type of people they like

Sexuality being the overriding characteristic to define a character is also problematic in its own. There is nothing wrong with writers making the sexuality of a gay character a background detail just as it is for a straight character. The bigger issue is when that sexuality becomes the entire driving force and representation of a character, as if gay people are two dimensional beings who are only defined by the type of people they like

Do you have specific examples of what you're talking about? Outside of shitty gay stereotypes in bad comedy films, I'm struggling to think of a film that suffered from what you're talking about.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Do you have specific examples of what you're talking about? Outside of shitty gay stereotypes in bad comedy films, I'm struggling to think of a film that suffered from what you're talking about.
If you don't notice the scenes where Wallace is sleeping next to other men in Scott Pilgrim, Michael Cera makes sure to remind the viewer verbally so they don't get confused.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Is "China" really the issue or is it parents who don't want their children exposed to homosexuality? I'll be so happy when homosexuality is not by the vast majority as something to shield children from. Even people that accept gay people and gay marriage get upset at children being exposed to the mere idea of homosexuality. It's incredibly insulting.

And Marvel movies are typically very violent. The controversy of a gay character would be delicious. "Won't somebody please think of the children!"

Kthulhu

Is "China" really the issue or is it parents who don't want their children exposed to homosexuality? I'll be so happy when homosexuality is not by the vast majority as something to shield children from. Even people that accept gay people and gay marriage get upset at children being exposed to the mere idea of homosexuality. It's incredibly insulting.

And Marvel movies are typically very violent. The controversy of a gay character would be delicious. "Won't somebody please think of the children!"

The sex vs violence debate continues. Most people in the West see sex as being far worse than violence. Why do you think the MPAA let's you say "fuck" in PG-13 films if it's not in a sexual context? Hell, if you say it in a gay sexual context it'll usually get you a NC-17.

Alienfan

While blockbusters continue to be straight white circle jerks, TV shows recently have been leading the way on the diversity front (especially Netflix and Cable). In the past month we've gotten an almost all black cast in Dear White People, a diverse cast, including trans and gay characters lead in one of the most expensive TV shows ever made, Sense8.

Who has had sex in Marvel movies besides Tony Stark?

You're not going to see any of the heroes changed from how they were originally written.

Burt Macklin and that random alien chick at the start of Guardians.

And that poster was talking about relationships, not just "these two definitely had sex"

Cap and the Carter clan
Banner and Black Widow
Hawkeye has a wife and kids
Thor and Portman
Ant-Man and Pym's daughter.

Even Dr. Strange couldn't be friends with McAdams, she had to be his ex.

Can't change the heroes but the Ancient One can't stay Asian, yeah ok.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
A token throw like Beauty and the Beast or something like GOTG2 where it doesn't even exist. I'll agree on. It's bullshit.

I'll defend PR though and say they did a pretty great job I felt with it. It's was her big point, and rather than having to spell it out and have a long dragged out scene. It's like, oh you're gay? Nothing wrong with that. Just acceptance from the group. Same with Billy and his Autism. The group just accepted each other like it was normal. Exactly how it should be.

LycanXIII

I'm trying to figure out who in the Guardians universe could be a homosexual or bisexual, since Gomorrah and Peter are warming up to each other, Drax had a wife, Groot is a child, dunno about Yondu, not clear about Rocket.

It's definitely not a series without sexuality though.
Kraglin

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
While blockbusters continue to be straight white circle jerks, TV shows recently have been leading the way on the diversity front (especially Netflix and Cable). In the past month we've gotten an almost all black cast in Dear White People, a diverse cast, including trans and gay characters lead in one of the most expensive TV shows ever made, Sense8.

I think the long form and difference in budget allows TV to have less pressure when it comes these things and branch out more.

In addition to being the best comic book TV show, Legion featured a menacing female antagonist and another character who is gay, married and has an adopted black son.

duckroll

The sex vs violence debate continues. Most people in the West see sex as being far worse than violence. Why do you think the MPAA let's you say "fuck" in PG-13 films if it's not in a sexual context? Hell, if you say it in a gay sexual context it'll usually get you a NC-17.

Okay but here's the question - what does homosexuality have to do with "sex" here? We're not talking about two men going bareback, we're talking about orientation and relationships. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has no problem using lines like "romantic love, sexual love, for... her!" and "do you have a dick?" etc. Those lines and gags are totally sexual in nature. Two guys being in a relationship and holding hands would not be "sexual" in any way, but it is considered far more taboo and controversial in conservative places. It's not a matter of sex vs violence, it's a problem of mentality.

Spoilers for Guardians 2:

Mantis. In the new movie Drax makes a big deal out of how he'd never sleep with her, and she tells him she doesn't like his kind of being.

There is one scene and one reference that portray Yondu as straight.
I really don't like it when LGBT+ peoples have to eat these crumbs of representation. Hell, that line was nothing at all considering it was framed around a joke and it was addressed towards another alien being. If these writers genuinely want good representation, then they need to stop pussyfooting around it and be declaratively LGBT+ with their characters.

MisterHero

I'll disagree with what some said about Power Rangers. IMO PR Movie Trini should've been shown in a non-conforming relationship, not a weaksauce talking point. I go to movies to be shown something, not to be talked at.

I wonder if David Yost would agree to make Billy gay in the TV show, should he return. It would be like "He's been here all this time, and all those years as a Ranger/Mentor he still wasn't sure of who he was." Perhaps more than ever, kids have to deal with being LGBTQ+, the same applies to adults. It could be something great that PR dealt with. Probably not as cool if Sentai has tackled it already...

These kids/adults do NOT need countries in the world trivializing their issues by censoring our entertainment for them. Fuck those countries, and the TV/movie makers who have too much money but can't communicate the right thing.

I'll disagree with what some said about Power Rangers. IMO PR Movie Trini should've been shown in a non-conforming relationship, not a weaksauce talking point. I go to movies to be shown something, not to be talked at.

I wonder if David Yost would agree to make Billy gay in the TV show, should he return. It would be like "He's been here all this time, and all those years as a Ranger/Mentor he still wasn't sure of who he was." Perhaps more than ever, kids have to deal with being LGBTQ+, the same applies to adults. It could be something great that PR dealt with. Probably not as cool if Sentai has tackled it already...

These kids/adults do NOT need countries in the world trivializing their issues by censoring our entertainment for them. Fuck those countries, and the TV/movie makers who have too much money but can't communicate the right thing.

No one was in a relationship in the movie... no one and her "I'm Queer" scene was not a weaksauce talking point, it was an integral part of literally the scene designed to be about character building and the Rangers bonding and becoming actual friends who can trust each other by talking about the stuff they don't talk to anyone else about... That's what you were shown...

There is no queer subtext in the Cap/Bucky relationship, and I feel like I need to say "I told you so" that Gunn's comments were purely hypothetical, not a promise or a plan.

Marvel isn't going to turn perform a sexuality flip on an established character. Disney is not the company to expect this from.

Edit: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1367431&page=1

The old thread is filled with people jumping to the same conclusion on a weak PR response.

He hinted there's a gay character and that's the only line in the film that can be reasonably taken that way. I didn't write it.

He did not remotely hint that there was a gay character, only broadly that there could be gay characters at some point in the future.

Not ruling it out =/= confirmed

MisterHero

No one was in a relationship in the movie... no one and her "I'm Queer" scene was not a weaksauce talking point, it was an integral part of literally the scene designed to be about character building and the Rangers bonding and becoming actual friends who can trust each other by talking about the stuff they don't talk to anyone else about... That's what you were shown...
I would rather have scenes of the characters living their lives/experiencing their conflicts than being told through dialogue about their problems. Even Zack's bedridden mom got some screentime.

And because her dialogue was inconclusive, she isn't even really trusting the group with anything. Perhaps in the next movie!

Do you seriously have to ask this question?
China ain't exactly a LGBT friendly place, and doesn't have freedom of expression.
a controlling country controls people's view point unless they know english and get around the great firewall?
I meant what reason do they have for doing it. Obviously places like Christian and Islamic countries do it for religious reasons. Taoism is the main religion of China and does not hate LGBT as far as I know.

Bigotry is the next main suspect but I would think with their overpopulation and the fact that they're trying to take title of the worlds leader from the US that they wouldn't have much of problem with LGBT. It's foreigners they hate.

akira28

Making the new attractive female character mysteriously sexy and her sexuality ambiguous, but possibly lesbian is completely Hollywood.

Top Bottom