• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Sony getting so much more credit than MS for embracing the Indie scene?

DaBuddaDa

Wait, I dont follow xbla, but is the bolded part, true?
Edit: er, I think I misunderstood the meaning, does "stampeding over to steam and phones" mean they're beating steam audience, or does it mean xbla audience move to steam and phones?
Sorry, english is not my first language

The XBLA audience (and developers) very quickly ("stampeded") abandoned the platform for phones and Steam. I see Microsoft saying: "Well then, see ya later I guess. Never really made much money off you indie guys anyways." Microsoft makes way more money off of the casual Kinect and AAA retail audience than it does off of $10 downloadable indie titles that move 25,000 units who demand valuable space on their adboa*cough*dashboard.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
surly said:
And if you select a platform, "PS3" for instance, there's no mention of them on that menu either. Sony has buried them outside the US.

Mini's aren't buried, they just aren't stuck in a ghetto like XBLIG.

And at least Sony have the excuse that they are selling product across multiple platforms, with a lot of legacy/emulated titles straddling hardware categories.

harSon

Banned
Find one remotely indie developer that has something nice to say about XBLA. One that isn't notch. Brad Muir is one of the nicest game devs I've ever seen, and when people mention Microsoft to him he looks like he's one stubbed toe away from turning into the Hulk.

Ska Studios (Dishwasher) or Humble Hearts(Dust: An Elysian Tail) definitely fit the mold. Mommy’s Best Games is another one.

Raist

Banned
Ps3 was cracked open because the keys was found on the firmware well after linux was dropped.

That's some revisionist history. Sony removed OtherOS support precisely because that's what allowed Geohot's first exploit. That eventually led to people finding the keys.

On January 26, 2010, Hotz released the exploit to the public. It was done on the original firmware (OFW) 3.15, then using his codes he made it into a 3.15 CFW, or Custom Firmware. It requires the OtherOS function of the machine, and consists of a Linux kernel module and gaining control of the machine's hypervisor via bus glitching.

ari said:
And MS never allowed for indies to be open to XBLA? How are you forgetting that MS was the first to do this indie stuff? Judging by the minis and other disasters from sony, MS was the only console maker to support a solid platform for indies.

I beg of you to just compare the psn slate of indie games to xbla. Your opinoin will change.

Never said they didn't. They were the first to provide an integrated platform, and a solid network. But they're also quite notorious for having draconian restrictions. Hence people jumping out.

KageMaru

Find one remotely indie developer that has something nice to say about XBLA. One that isn't notch. Brad Muir is one of the nicest game devs I've ever seen, and when people mention Microsoft to him he looks like he's one stubbed toe away from turning into the Hulk.

Zen studios, Humble Hearts, and whatever team Warm Machine works for. So there's 3 =p

though I'm just messing around since I know plenty of indie devs dislike MS

And at least Sony have the excuse that they are selling product across multiple platforms, with a lot of legacy/emulated titles straddling hardware categories.

You either don't own a 360 or haven't turned it on in a long time. XBLIG aren't buried or lost in some ghetto. They are easy to find and featured on the front section of the games tab sometimes.

Really man, as someone who used to work in this industry (or still does for all I know), I'd think you wouldn't pull the same crap as some other questionable posters.

Dragon

Banned
You either don't own a 360 or haven't turned it on in a long time. XBLIG aren't buried or lost in some ghetto. They are easy to find and featured on the front section of the games tab sometimes.

Really man, as someone who used to work in this industry (or still does for all I know), I'd think you wouldn't pull the same crap as some other questionable posters.

XBLIG are the ghetto though as far as how people view them on 360. And can you please stop questioning the bias of every single poster that disagrees with you? It's one thing if they're pushing a different agenda; it's another if they're factually incorrect.

Syriel

PS1 and PS2, these were extremely cheap "dev kits" with a bit of docs. So people could play around. No other manufacturer has done that. But then what were they supposed to do, email every NY owner every 2 weeks to ask them if they got something to sell? Especially back then, there was no network, so distributing stuff easily wasn't exactly an option.

As for Linux on PS3, it turned out to be a major security issue and you know it, so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. I mean that's the reason why the PS3 was cracked open eventually.

Fact is, they always put options out there for indies or people willing to give coding some stuff a shot. I don't think Nintendo or even MS has been that open. Now if people didn't really do anything with it, that's not exactly their fault either. On top of that they've always been rather supportive of young/small devs. Look at Sidhe, TGC, MM and so on.

So yeah, out of the three, I'd say Sony has been the one to make things generally easier than the others, by far.

The Net Yaroze launched with a support forum that saw little in the way of attention in the US. That was about it. And aside from the initial push, it wasn't promoted at all.

Over in Europe, Net Yaroze games were published on collections (granted no one got paid and they were considered demos), but it was a way for hobbyists to get seen. That simply was not an option with SCEA.

As for the PS3, yes, it got hacked. MS also had a hypervisor exploit. It happens on complex systems. That said, Sony went with the nuclear option. Rather than patching the exploit, they nuked Linux. And, in the end, said exploit was just a window into the system. What really busted things wide open was not the hypervisor attack, but the fact that the hypervisor attack let people in to see how the security keys were handled.

It was that security flaw (Sony engineers completely screwing up and not using a random number generator) which led to the PS3 and PSP keys getting dumped and the ability to sign software directly for those systems.

With Microsoft, XNA was a brilliantly open system. You pay your $100 and you have a pretty full featured dev kit on a retail system. Was it the same as a full kit? No, but it also was a lot cheaper, a lot more available and easy to ramp up on.

The major complaint from indie developers about Microsoft's XBLIG is, oddly, what they are praising about Sony's new direction - a lack of strict publishing controls.

Microsoft restricts XBLA releases because it doesn't want to flood the market. It's best to think of XBLA as the retail storefront. There, game releases are structure to ensure that you don't see a flood of games one week and a dearth the next.

Whenever there is a flood of releases at retail, most suffer as people in general do not save for entertainment. They splurge. And if someone is buying one game a month, they're buying one game a month (or one a week, etc.).

XBLIG doesn't restrict that. You're free to publish, even if 100 other people are publishing. But because there are so many people publishing on XBLIG, it's difficult to stand out. Yes, there are the top games promoted in the dashboard ads and featured in the XBLIG storefront. There is the voting, but just as we've seen many times in the past (Atari, iOS, Android, etc.) when there is no gatekeeper, it becomes very difficult for any one title to get noticed.

Sony is still somewhat fresh and new to embracing indies. So it doesn't have that flood. Perhaps it won't, as you do need an actual Vita dev kit and that will naturally limit the number of developers as compared to XBLIG where anyone with an Xbox 360 and $100 could jump in.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Sony is also doing this. Nintendo is the gaming company out of the 3.

MS:

MS-Dos
Windows

Dat indie development support!

Don't forget free development tools on the PC side. MS hands out perfectly usable versions of Visual Studio for free.

Yes, XBLIG has its own top level storefront on the Xbox and on Xbox.com, getting equal placement with the XBLA and GoD storefronts.

Minis are also placed high on the tree on the Sony side of things.

I'm not sure how similar treatment means one is the "ghetto" and the other is "promoting indie games."

The UK store does not have "Minis" listed in that menu though: -

http://i.imgur.com/5sVAJG4.jpg

And if you select a platform, "PS3" for instance, there's no mention of them on that menu either. Sony has buried them outside the US.

Sounds like the inverse of the PS Mobile situation (well as least as recently as six months ago).

SCEA has since turned around, but it used to be the case that if you published a game on PS Mobile, you could not get NA tokens from SCEA. SCEE would happily give you EU tokens, but NA was not happening.

That's not exactly developer friendly behaviour. Indies have enough trouble getting noticed. Not being able to get tokens for an entire region is far from "catering" to small developers.

Sony has turned a lot of things around in the past few months. If it keeps to that path, then promising times are ahead. Only time will tell if this is a true commitment though or simply a flash in the pan.

KageMaru

XBLIG are the ghetto though as far as how people view them on 360. And can you please stop questioning the bias of every single poster that disagrees with you? It's one thing if they're pushing a different agenda; it's another if they're factually incorrect.

Maybe I'm not understanding how the term ghetto is being used in this context. I thought I knew what people meant. If it references the quality of the games on XBLIG, well that's no different than any other open marketplace. If it references the location of XBLIG on the marketplace, it has a featured tab just like GoD and Arcade games. So maybe that's where I'm confused since neither should be a negative directed towards XBLIG specifically right now.

Also, I never questioned anything with Clear, I pointed out how it's surprising that he would readily fall on misconceptions like the other people here. Unlike many of the other people here, he's worked in the industry and so I would think he would have a more open perspective on how or why things are done. Maybe I'm wrong, but I never meant any disrespect with that comment.

Flatline

Banned
This Wired article has some good quotes on the indie situation. Pretty scathing of MS:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/04/sony-indies/

Brian Provinciano, creator of the old-school parody game Retro City Rampage, tells horror stories about his experience with Microsoft. He says the Xbox maker canceled the release of his game on Live Arcade after he spoke out publicly about the inefficiencies of the process. Microsoft, he says, forced him to resubmit the game through the arduous approvals process and go through an extra six months of negotiations that required him to submit the game through an outside publisher to get it released.

Wow, what a bunch of assholes.

Cornbread78

The power dynamic has shifted over the last generation: Sony’s process was originally predicated on the idea that developers desperately wanted to appear on PlayStation, and Sony could make elaborate demands of them with the ostensible goal of raising the quality bar of the PlayStation’s content library. But today, it’s Sony that needs indies; it must create a path of least resistance for them because they have other options if PlayStation proves too daunting.

This pretty much says it all. Sony finally opened the door to it's corner office, pulled their suit coat off, threw it over the back of their chair, rolled up their sleeves and is finally getting to work with these guys. It really came through at their presentation and it looks like they are takig that same approach towards larger devs as well. As with many things in life, I guess you have to get smacked around one in awhile to wake up and change...

Top Bottom