• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is there hate for a cash down preorder?

I was on the next list for my wii u so I didn't actually get to preorder it from Gamestop and all the GameStop games I preorder I just do 5 bones to reserve it. But can you not basically do a layaway with the GameStop and put more money against it over time? I can't remember but that would be reason enough to do so. You cannot do that at best buy iirc.

alf717

I'm sure I was already beaten to this but there are times where cash down, even when paid in full, doesn't mean a thing. That being said I use to pre-order from Gamestop a lot and I always paid for the item in full. I like ordering online now because of great deals and from time to time free shipping. I hardly shop at GS much these days.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This argument is ridiculous and backwards. If you are worried about an emergency, you should keep your money in hand, not give it away to GS!!

If you don't have the money for a new console, don't buy one. If you can afford a new console but lack the will power to curb your discretionary spending and save for it --grow up.

Edit: putting down a small sum at the time of a reservation as "honest money" so GS knows you really want you Xbone is one thing. Paying the console off ahead of time is another, much stupider thing.

Calm down with the exclamations, playboy. Christ, you picked out one word in my post and went on a mini-rant. It's not ridiculous, it's just how some people choose to budget their money and make it easier on their pocket.

It basically comes down to you giving money to gamestop interest free for weeks or months getting absolutely nothing in return, or preordering from amazon which does not require you to part with you money until they ship it. Which one of the two is more enticing?
Pretty much, why should I give them money so they can put it in some interest scheme and I get nothing for myself?

The whole interest-earned argument is so laughably insane to me. Unless your other option that you are choosing from is to put that money into a long-term bank investment, it is completely irrelevant to the discussion here.

blackflag

This.

Did with PS4.

I've been burned by Gamestop and Toysrus putting cash down for a pre-order system/game and not getting it.

Yeah besides it being so easy with Amazon, I've been screwed over by GameStop several times even on fully paid off preorders so...never again for me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The whole interest-earned argument is so laughably insane to me. Unless your other option that you are choosing from is to put that money into a long-term bank investment, it is completely irrelevant to the discussion here.
It's relevant because it indicates that GS has an incentive for taking pre-orders that has nothing to do with providing a service.

You are giving them money without getting anything back. That's a free credit you are offering there. gamestop is smarter and uses your money to get interest.

Why should I do that?

quetz67

Banned

Interest earned maybe, interest not paid might already be a more interesting amount. Anyway, I rather invest the money in some games I play now.

Skelter

Banned
Sure, you may be giving companies like that a cash advance or whatever but that helps give people jobs with the company.

Really isn't my problem. Amazon is much better for preorders and they've bumped up a lot of my preorders to ship before said release date.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
You are giving them money without getting anything back. That's a free credit you are offering there. gamestop is smarter and uses your money to get interest.

Why should I do that?

I am giving them money, and leaving knowing ill get one on day one. They have never failed me personally on this promise at a store. Until they do, I'm good with it.

That being said, I would have gone with Amazon.com, but that's not where I had enough trade credit to pay for the whole thing.

One last note about truck deliveries from Amazon.com(or wherever). Those same trucks get the boxes of games to retailers before they out them on hand trucks to bring them neatly into stores. If the driver is tossing the boxes around in either case, you may not know. One is not necessarily safer than the other.

NekoFever

The only place around here that asks a deposit for preorders is Game, and they've already gone out of business once, taking preorder deposits and money spent on gift cards with them. You're an idiot if you're extending credit to them from your own money.

Top Bottom