• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Unreal Engine 4 taking over Japan?

decoy11

One of the ideas that is bugging me as we see more and more AAA studios use UE4 is if they might start selling assets on the marketplace. It would be cool to see like Capcom and Namco sell environments from their games or unused assets. The most ideal situation would be if they start building custom lighting engines or whatever on top of UE4 they could license that out too.

In case somebody happens to be keeping track: How's the overall input INTO UE4 going as far as contributors inside Japan in terms of additions and/or fixes getting rolled into the main line as it were? Are their certain aspects or areas of the engine that seem to be getting more attention as such along these lines?

Compared to issues of inhouse sequestered tech secrecy and a surely cumbersome line of project seniority and/or management issues historically leading to loss of flexibility due to a conservative stance---surely there must be a good impetus for the many talented programmers/engineers/etc of all ages and walks of life to be able to leverage the unprecedented global source access and growing community that also took specific efforts to have good Jp documentation and whatnot on a lively basis?

I don't know that there's ever been such a potent, driven engine open to improvements the world over to the degree that UE 4 is---especially as far as Japan goes.

Lol, it was more just a joke. :p But I do have confidence in Luminous.

Why? I mean, SE's failed attempts at owning their own technology stack during the PS3 generation are the single biggest factor behind the catastrophic failures during development of XIII, Vs XIII, and XIV.

But they did that so the team behind the engine could focus on developing it internally at the FFXV team.

lol no

Whatever helps Japanese developers pump out good games on home consoles at a better rate than last gen I'll take it. I'm positive FFVsXIII would've come out years ago were it not for the damn engine. Same thing for MGSV.

Hopefully this means that DQXI will not take forever to come out.

benzy

Why? I mean, SE's failed attempts at owning their own technology stack during the PS3 generation are the single biggest factor behind the catastrophic failures during development of XIII, Vs XIII, and XIV.

Which is exactly why I have more faith in Luminous. SE can't be dumb enough to invest so much money into yet another propriety engine without researching and reworking how they go about creating engines and tools knowing full well how crap and disappointing Crystal Tools was. They did research on UE3, CryEngine, even went as far as bringing in westerners to help create it.

Another thing is Crystal Tools ended up being tailored to XIII's corridor-ridden environments and game design, pretty much ruling out its compatibility with Vs XIII and XIV's more open world design without significant engine changes to keep the same graphical quality and performance. Luminous is being created to support a vast open world from the start, while still featuring some rather advanced graphical features you still haven't seen in other open world games, even ones using UE4. SE also only recently switched FFXV to the full Luminous in 2014, and since then we've gotten a rushed playable demo earlier this year that still runs as well as, if not better, than AC Unity.

UE4 was in development for how long, since 2003? And Luminous probably started development around or after XIII's release in 2009? Since Luminous is still incomplete I'm not sure why people are so surprised KH3 switched engines. Luminous just didn't have enough tech support for them to be working on 2 games. SE even had problems rendering images for KH3 with UE4 and had to rely on Epic Games' support. And let's not forget FFX, FFXI, FFXII were great looking games that ran incredibly well for their time. It's weird people judge SE's competence in game engines just on the Crystal Tools screw up, when considering even a genius like Carmack can make mistakes like he did with id tech 5.

Whatever helps Japanese developers pump out good games on home consoles at a better rate than last gen I'll take it. I'm positive FFVsXIII would've come out years ago were it not for the damn engine. Same thing for MGSV.

Hopefully this means that DQXI will not take forever to come out.

MGSV actually has a very good engine. It's long development time is largely from having to create the new engine from scratch.

SkylineRKR

I honestly think Panta Rhei and Luminous are dead. They've moved their major franchises on UE4 now and they're getting used to working with this. No point in switching to a proprietary engine in the future.

The FFXV demo ran like shit to be honest. There wasn't that much going on and the sandbox was mostly grasslands but the framerate is well below the 30's.

So far, UE4 looks like it can do everything just fine. KH, SF and DQ all look stellar.

Ravage

My only worry is that this shift is placing too much power in the hands of Epic. Unity is pretty much the only competing middleware and it's not really suited for AAA development.

Durante

In case somebody happens to be keeping track: How's the overall input INTO UE4 going as far as contributors inside Japan in terms of additions and/or fixes getting rolled into the main line as it were? Are their certain aspects or areas of the engine that seem to be getting more attention as such along these lines?

Compared to issues of inhouse sequestered tech secrecy and a surely cumbersome line of project seniority and/or management issues historically leading to loss of flexibility due to a conservative stance---surely there must be a good impetus for the many talented programmers/engineers/etc of all ages and walks of life to be able to leverage the unprecedented global source access and growing community that also took specific efforts to have good Jp documentation and whatnot on a lively basis?

I don't know that there's ever been such a potent, driven engine open to improvements the world over to the degree that UE 4 is---especially as far as Japan goes.
That's a good question. And also a great summary of why Epic's step with UE4 of providing full source access to every engine user was such a slam dunk.

Before we condemn efforts by Jap developers at own engine... can UE4 do everything well??
It can do everything better than or equally as well as any Japanese engine I've seen recently.
But it can also do everything better than most western engines, so that's not really surprising.

But its quality is not even the central reason for its success IMHO. The really important point is that it also comes with some of the best tool support in the business. We are just lucky that the actual engine is great as well.

Son Of D

I wonder if FFXVI will be using UE4. Hopefully it will cut the development time instead of 5-6 years rather to 1-3 years.

Let's hope. After both Crystal Tools and Luminous have given SE development issues and the fact that both KH3 and DQXI use UE4 should convince them to try UE4 for FFXVI. What engine does FFXIV use?

Top Bottom