• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is WB sidelining Martian Manhunter for DCCU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because DC is pushing Cyborg for some reason.

Geoff Johns. He's the one who generally helps in the direction of DC's Multimedia project. Who rocked this lineup in New 52?

4349285-new-52+league.jpeg

Geoff Johns.

http://www.newsarama.com/7353-exclusive-flashpoint-by-point-with-geoff-johns.html
Nrama: It's interesting to see Cyborg take a lead role. Is that a character you think has more potential?

Johns: Cyborg, much like Aquaman, is one of my favorite characters. I brought him into The Flash way back when and I brought him into Teen Titans. I always felt that he was so recognizable and I thought he was such a great character. He's one of my favorites. I just felt like there are a lot more stories to be told about him, and he's a character that I really wanted to work with more. I would love to elevate the character. He's not usually in the center of these events.

People are assuming because he's a black guy, but it's because Johns fucking loves the character. Being a black guy is a bonus.

Barring a breakout in the JL movies, a Cyborg movie would bomb so hard. I'm not convinced it's coming out.

Why would it bomb so hard? There's nothing inherent wrong with Cyborg. He's a dude with a shitty father who loses his chance to play football and becomes a cyborg superhero. It's a pretty straightforward sell.

Because DC is still run by idiots.

Martian Manhunter is awesome as shit. But nooooo push Cyborg because he's black. Real progressive, assholes.

His human form is a black guy! Stupid DC.

As an aside, I don't think MM counts as a "black" character since he can (and has) transform into any shape or color he desires. It's just another costume for him. Unlike say, Icon or Cyborg or John Stewart.

Sou Da

George Miller's Justice League movie was set to have him

CGTDbHpUkAAfb3B-600x900.jpg

He's a big guy.

As an aside, I don't think MM counts as a "black" character since he can (and has) transform into any shape or color he desires. It's just another costume for him. Unlike say, Icon or Cyborg or John Stewart.

Movie wise he would count if he was voiced by a black actor and used that identity primarily. Plus they would likely give his default form 'negroid features'

I think Chris Sims had a decent idea about why Martian Manhunter hasn't worked out great as a solo character. Any interesting angle on his character, some other character already does and they're more popular. Oh, he's got Superman powers? Yeah, so does Superman. Oh, he's a lonely outsider who struggles to find his place in humanity? Yeah, for some reason we're forcing Superman into that role now. Oh, he's a really great detective? Yeah, we have a character for that, his name is Batman, maybe you heard of him.

He is defined as the ultimate Team Player, Mr. Justice League. And nobody wants a team player solo. It'd be like Cyclops getting a solo ongoing.

Or Cyborg...

Slayven

MM would benefit for a more longform series, the character really shines when he is in his own head. Hell his best series showed his day to day life and his relationship with others. Very minimal superhero stuff.

VanWinkle

Why would it bomb so hard? There's nothing inherent wrong with Cyborg. He's a dude with a shitty father who loses his chance to play football and becomes a cyborg superhero. It's a pretty straightforward sell.

Yeah, I don't see why a Cyborg movie couldn't be successful.

Come on ya'll, I'm happy that DC is getting their shit together too, but Cyborg is never coming out.

I swear they googled "black DC characters" and just went with the first result. "We aint bout to let Black Panther show us up b, just pick somebody. Do we own Static Shock?"

I liked how the JL cartoon And Cooke's New Frontier used him as the character that United all of the heroes. They could have done something similar with that.

I don't see why they're pushing Cyborg so much recently, he's always been better with the Titans than with JL. He's never ever been Justice League material in my eyes.
MM > Cyborg.
Cybrog is like Falcon in the MCU. Not great for a solo movie but a solid side character. I don't see a Cyborg movie doing too great either unless he's with a team (Teen Titans pls) or doing a teamup with someone.

Honestly who gives a shit about Cyborg unless he's with other superheroes?

I think Chris Sims had a decent idea about why Martian Manhunter hasn't worked out great as a solo character. Any interesting angle on his character, some other character already does and they're more popular. Oh, he's got Superman powers? Yeah, so does Superman. Oh, he's a lonely outsider who struggles to find his place in humanity? Yeah, for some reason we're forcing Superman into that role now. Oh, he's a really great detective? Yeah, we have a character for that, his name is Batman, maybe you heard of him.

He is defined as the ultimate Team Player, Mr. Justice League. And nobody wants a team player solo. It'd be like Cyclops getting a solo ongoing.

Or Cyborg...

i think the lonely outsider thing works far better with MM than it does supes. supes grew up his entire life on earth, he still thinks of himself as a human in many respects, whereas MM was always a martian first and foremost.

even in the cartoon a major character development for him was leaving the justice league to spend time among normal humans for a long time after keeping to himself for years.

Tabby

He belongs better with a team in my opinion but he's boring as fuck to me.

DrBo42

In the Justice League cartoon, there were seven founding members:

• Batman
  • Superman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Flash
  • Green Lantern
  • Hawkgirl
  • Martian Manhunter

Of these, one of the most interesting and most overpowered characters was Martian Manhunter--he can turn intangible, he can shapeshift, he has Superman-levels of strength, and he has telepathic powers. When I finally got into comics and read New 52, I was kind of surprised to see that he wasn't part of the Justice League, but even then they addressed it as "we tried accepting him into our team and things went bad:"

JL8e.jpg

Now, in DCCU when they released the Aquaman pic it had this text over it:

aquamanjasonmomoa.jpg

which implies there are going to be seven members of the Justice League, but if you look at the heroes being introduced through the announced movies, there's

• Superman
  • Batman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Aquaman
  • Flash
  • Shazam
  • Cyborg
  • Green Lantern

which is eight, but Green Lantern is being introduced after JL part 2 so we can assume the first seven are JL founder members. So what happened to MM? He's not even a part of the DCCU as far as we can tell, much less a part of JLA. What gives? You would assume with the popularity of the original cartoon they'd have him instead of Shazam or Cyborg or something.

Uh... Isn't "UNITE THE SEVEN" just about the seven seas...because he's Aquaman?

i think the lonely outsider thing works far better with MM than it does supes. supes grew up his entire life on earth, he still thinks of himself as a human in many respects, whereas MM was always a martian first and foremost.

even in the cartoon a major character development for him was leaving the justice league to spend time among normal humans for a long time after keeping to himself for years.

I agree, but I mean...its too late now! We got at least one, going on two movies about Superman finding his place in the world and people not trusting him and shit.

Uh... Isn't "UNITE THE SEVEN" just about the seven seas...because he's Aquaman?

it's water it doesn't need to be united for shit

unless they're going with the seven different races thing that they started with in new 52 but even then like five of those races were already extinct

DrBo42

it's water it doesn't need to be united for shit

unless they're going with the seven different races thing that they started with in new 52 but even then like five of those races were already extinct

I think uniting all the seas and oceans under 1 rule makes far more sense on an Aquaman poster than uniting 7 members of the Justice League.

He belongs better with a team in my opinion but he's boring as fuck to me.

Oh, he is boring in the comics.

That has absolutely nothing to do with a big-budget movie.

Seriously, Y'all still wondering why? I told you. Geoff Johns.

You know what he does as DC Entertainment's chief creative officer?

DC Comics’ shared cinematic universe begins next year with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. That slugfest, as well as 10 other movies on the way by 2021, will roll under Johns’ watchful eye. DC Entertainment’s chief creative officer might have comic-book roots, but the family tree will be growing fast.

To repeat:

Green Lantern certainly wasn't Johns' only DC claim to fame. The writer has been working for the comic book publisher for well over a decade. In fact, he's DC's Chief Creative Officer. He works with the teams behind DC video games, television shows, products, i.e. "everything that's not publishing."

Look at the stuff he's written - Justice League, Green Lantern, Flash, and Justice Society - and you have a good idea of which characters and stories will appear in Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, and the DC movies.

Hagi

10 movies in the span of 5 years just sounds pretty fucking crazy to me. It's not impossible obviously because Marvel have managed that from 2010 till now but shit, things are really going to get crowded starting next year.

Looking at Marvels schedule they have 10 movies that could be out by the end of 2019? god-damn

Shaanyboi

Banned
10 movies in the span of 5 years just sounds pretty fucking crazy to me. It's not impossible obviously because Marvel have managed that from 2010 till now but shit, things are really going to get crowded starting next year.

I go the movies maybe 15 times a year. Acouple more won't kill me.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I mean:

1146654-milestone1.jpg

There were better choices.

DC isn't going to spend any appreciable time building up Milestone characters. They only license them from Milestone's holding company.

I'd love a Mr. Terrific movie, but I think they probably think Cyborg is an easier sell to the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom