• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is XBL still the superior online service...

Omega

Banned
Kinda related, kinda not.

When did they add ads into Halo Waypoint? I knew they were adding them to the useless apps like YouTube and Facebook, but Waypoint?

Superior service at ripping off its fanbase.

That's not proof just a really good case to be made. Proof would be a benchmark as one could easily do with all the variable involved. Show me a benchmark showing that wireless or ethernet that a PS3 cannot match or be within 15% of the total of an xbox 360 throughput and I might shut up.

For someone talking about infancy you do it well and could end it with real facts instead of useless forum conjecture that only contains zealotry. Neither side has proven their case yet if one side wanted too they could do it like the pc boys do it and benchmark. There is nothing to stop various people here packet sniffing and making real tests besides people who don't want to eat crow or look stupid. I'm not believer in either side but if I was I'd have something to bring to the table.

Of course it's proof that people are having issues, unless it's your contention that we're all lying. What more proof can there be that we're having problems than stating we're having problems with PSN that we're not also having with any other service? You need a case-study to determine we're not all liars? Please. "Zealotry"? Not an ounce of it. I don't play that game. You're seeing whatever it is you want to see there for whatever reason you feel the need to see it, but there's none on my end. Don't project that on me.

Of course it's proof that people are having issues, unless it's your contention that we're all lying. What more proof can there be that we're having problems than stating we're having problems with PSN that we're not also having with any other service? You need a case-study to determine we're not all liars? Please. "Zealotry"? Not an ounce of it. I don't play that game. You're seeing whatever it is you want to see there for whatever reason you feel the need to see it, but there's none on my end. Don't project that on me.

Are you missing the point on purpose ?

I'm not saying that there are no speed issues on PS3 .i'm saying that the same issues exist on 360.

You're saying that more people are complaining on ps3 but you can't prove that
You're saying that they don't have even download speed when correctly configured ( both consoles ) but you can't prove that either ...

Who is being childlish , here ?

LCGeek

formerly sane

Don't need to lie to misrepresent an issue for your own sake. Stating you have problems isn't my contention. My issue is that you don't have any real stats considering you aren't sony or ms on the amount of people having such problems compared to the whole. There is no way on the net to accurately gauge such a claim you are making considering it's not total and just what a biased engine or person can find. Maybe if you took the results of tons search engines and tallied shit up I'd go hey maybe it's happening more for 360 users but it's not even that.

I don't need a case study for that it's called you make the claim you back it up. Also don't play the game you're proving my point you're just stirring the pot because you can.

Don't need to lie to misrepresent an issue for your own sake. Stating you have problems isn't my contention. My issue is that you don't have any real stats considering you aren't sony or ms on the amount of people having such problems compared to the whole. There is no way on the net to accurately gauge such a claim you are making considering it's not total and just what a biased engine or person can find.

Google is biased against Sony in favor of Microsoft? Fine. The other search engines also show a huge disparity of people having speed issues with PSN. Gamers complain. Those complaints show up in search results. Its obviously not a scientific method, but it doesn't take much work to determine that there's more people complaining about PSN speeds than are complaining about XBL speeds.

That number is far far lower. I almost never see anyone complaining about that.

And since we're paying for XBL, if there were widespread speed issues, you can bet your ass you'd be hearing about it all the time.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

you dont have to lie to be wrong.

i can find you a million hits on pyramid power if you'd like.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Google is biased against Sony in favor of Microsoft? Fine. The other search engines also show a huge disparity of people having speed issues with PSN. Gamers complain. Those complaints show up in search results. Its obviously not a scientific method, but it doesn't take much work to determine that there's more people complaining about PSN speeds than are complaining about XBL speeds.

Never made the first claim stop coming up with bs to argue points I made based on bs you said you will just keep moving the goal post each time. Regardless of search engine disparity it's not scientific in the least because you're assuming that all users with the problems on both console are coming online to complain. Unless you have stats from both companies on the complaints you can't make a real statement as to who suffers more no matter what the net says. The net is not absolute in this area nor a majority source to pull people opinion from hasn't GAF taught you anything. Argue this all you like I laid out my points and you can't really refute them.

Even with said work I see no evidence of it. Sort of like math in school I don't want to see your answer, I want to see how you got there.

with that said and a admin here goodbye I'm not having anything else from this point miscontrued or turn against me not with diablo 3 so soon around the corner. PM if you that touchy about this still don't know why. I'm not really arguing the bigger points just saying the perspective should be considered in the larger whole.

cgcg

Good lord are people really stupid enough to use Google search as evidence?

xbox live slow download --About 6,220,000 results (0.16 seconds)
playstation network slow download --About 1,730,000 results (0.19 seconds)

Oh shit! Prooooved!!!

rCIZZLE

Good lord are people really stupid enough to use Google search as evidence?

xbox live slow download --About 6,220,000 results (0.16 seconds)
playstation network slow download --About 1,730,000 results (0.19 seconds)

Oh shit! Prooooved!!!

... or is it?

thelastword

Banned
So this thread has resorted to gaming download speeds.

Speeds on the PSN has been consistently solid for me. Normally I queue a number of downloads on a tuesday night and they're all downloaded in quicktime. Hell, the last time, I had 5 gigs of NFS Shift2 (full ps+ game), Awesomenauts (another full game) and several demos like Dragons Dogma et al. they all flew by, consistent with the internet speed which i pay my ISP.

It's a fact that certain persons are going to be downloading stuff on the PSN at slower speeds as opposed to others, but that's a given as that depends on your internet speed and your network setup.

If anything, XBL downloads are more annoying because all you have to monitor is a percentage/bar which is much less detailed than what you get on PSN. If a particular download is getting hammered, the PSN will just move on to another download in the queue where speeds are more optimum.

snap0212

PSN is the system with games constantly getting there online shut down. I can still play PD0 and COD2 online today. and COD 2 still has enough players to get a game.
PSN is shit because of server shutdowns that happen on Xbox 360 as well?

Yagharek

Funny timing, Major Nelson just tweeted about how he doesn't like intrusive ads.

Haha, he deserves to be forced to sit through 45 minutes of ads before any film he ever goes to see at the cinema (sadly its the norm here now).

I dont think its fair to single MS out for ads, as they are pretty much everywhere these days. But it is nice to use a system where screen real estate isnt taken up by them.

I dont think its fair to single MS out for ads, as they are pretty much everywhere these days. But it is nice to use a system where screen real estate isnt taken up by them.

For anyone that want to try the analogy about the payment TV channels, that they have also ads, payment channels have much less ads than free channels.

Here is the opposite, all the other onlines are free and with non-intrusive ads. Even if MS has a better online quality (in the same way as a payment channel has a better quality than a free one), they should be able to have less publicity (instead of more) than the free alternatives.

snap0212

One thing that gets rarely mentioned by anyone when comparing the quality of the two services is the fact that Sony's structure puts them in a position where they cannot compete with Microsoft when it comes to digital releases.

While you can expect almost all of Microsoft's digital content to be available in all western regions at the same time, same cannot be said for Sony. Be it Avatars, games, demos, trailers or any kind of digital content, every region is on their own when it comes to making sure that 'their' region gets the content. Publishers don't seem to be able to submit content to Sony as a whole, they seem to be forced to submit it to every region seperately. Since every region and every publisher wants to get the content out as soon as possible, content will be released in the US while SCEE is still checking if the content is okay. This does not make any sense no matter how you look at it and causes a lot of uproar in the weekly PSN Update posts on the European PlayStation Blog.

Sony, of course, will always say that they're not at all responsible for the delays. It's the publisher/developer that hasn't submitted the content in time that prevents them from releasing it. It's especially funny when you hear Sony-guys telling you that avatars (yes, the small 100x100px pictures) take longer to be certified and okay'd than any other piece of content. In addition to that, it seems like many publishers just don't want to bother with this anymore and don't submit avatars at all. Comparing the US Avatar offerings to the European ones shows that there's only a fraction of the US Avatars available. Now Avatars are not the most important thing in the world but some DLC (Castle Crashers Pink Knight) also doesn't get released at all.

Some developers seem also seem to be fed up with Sony's way of handling things. The Castle Crashers guys have publicly said that it wasn't their fault that the game didn't get approved in time. The Trine 2 publisher mentioned that they submitted the same version of Trine 2 to SCEA and SCEE. SCEE said they found some bugs that needed to be ironed out. Turns out that the released version of Trine 2 contains the same (rarely occuring) game breaking bug where the game thinks there's no controller connected to the console. Of course, European Xbox players got this game along with their American friends back when it was originally supposed to come out.

While I do think that sales on the PSN are infinitely better than the ones on Xbox Live, the fact that they can't bring all sales to every western region is a shame as well.

There's little to no consistency when it comes to PSN releases. If you take a look at the European PS Blog and take a look at what people are complaining about you'll see that the vast majority of people complain about the fact that content x is not available in Europe & that content gets delayed constantly.

There's no reason Sony shouldn't be on par with Microsoft here and their constant excuses about everything 'taking time' and about having to manage so many different countries (many different languages) is just not a valid excuse when Microsoft shows that you can release all the content in all western regions without causing any delay. It just makes the PAL PSN guys look incompetent.

I hope Sony's new 'one Sony' strategy makes sure that these problems don't occur next generation.

NIGHT-

Guys it's on a podcast that PSN is slower, wrap it up, nothing left to see here.

Yea, let's ignore the countless number of people that report having terrible download speeds and issues with PSN... Sony needs to fix this shit before the next console is released

snap0212

You are referring to scheduled maintenance? Well it happens to both systems but PSN it happens A LOT more. I wonder the ratio of downtime of PSN:XBL is anyway
He's talking about game servers and mentions that he can still play launch Xbox 360 games. I doubt he's talking about regular server maintenance.

One thing that gets rarely mentioned by anyone when comparing the quality of the two services is the fact that Sony's structure puts them in a position where they cannot compete with Microsoft when it comes to digital releases.
[...]

SCE (as a whole; all region PS Stores) does not emphasize what the true new releases of the week are. This is mainly due to the PS Store's architecture.

One can look at this week's US PS Store update for a good example. You have the true new releases being Sonic 4 Ep. II, Rock of Ages (XBL got it almost a year ago though) and PixelJunk 4am.

However, those 3 new releases are surrounded and almost buried by old content that Sony puts on the top each week ("featured" categories) and other old content. So, to the casual viewer/browser, they won't really know all of the content that's brand new for the week unless they've been paying attention to websites like GAF.

The PS Store needs an overhaul and a layout for each week such as
User clicks "New Releases" tab
Brought to page with

New PSN Games
(list of new content in this category)
--SPACE--
New On Demand (Retail Gone Digital) Games
--SPACE--
New DLC
--SPACE--
New Demos
--SPACE--
etc

...Instead of it cluttered up all together. It should also all be on one page instead of in secluded categories; it might sound unorganized but to sell to the masses you must put it in their face, and the above way is my idea to do that while still keeping it clean and organized.

The dichotomy between each region's PS Stores are even more of a mess. You have different branches of SCE having different teams on different PS Stores, so in turn you have different categorizing methods, most of which are terrible and messy to the end user. Since there is no unified template (a good example of what should be is what I showed above), each region PS Store team can run and organize the store however they please. This ranges from "needs a lot of work but not incredibly terrible" (JP followed by US Store) to a complete mess (EU/PAL based regions).

Sony's version of "Games of Demand" (retail gone digital) is another problem for PSN games and adds to confusion, where almost every week the US/EU Stores add old retail games up among the actual new PSN games, taking away spotlight from the new, unique content. So while MS clearly labels these as "Games of Demand" and is separate to the viewer from XBLA games, Sony lumps everything together with no indication of what is what, or what are actually PSN games.

When a new Arcade game is added to XBL, all you have to do is go to the Game Marketplace, Newest Releases, Arcade, and there's all the new XBLA releases in chronological order. If you were on vacation for a month and want to see what you missed, it's a simple flick of the analog stick. Sony on the other hand removes content that's >2 or 3 weeks old, and is archived in the long lost library of A-Z category titles. I can imagine sales drop off almost totally for Sony at that point, whereas a month or two old game will still be viewable to browsing eyes on XBL.

XBL's Marketplace isn't perfect by any means (they still lump all the weekly new Rock Band/music game tracks as separate entries on the list of all new DLC, flooding it weekly and taking away attention to other game's actual important DLC's), but little things like I mentioned are just indicators of how out of touch Sony is with the online experience.

Top Bottom