• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't Guild Wars 2 more popular?

Zelias

Banned
GW2 has interesting ideas and terrible execution. Combat is awful, the story is a snoozefest and the class/skill system is a massive downgrade from GW1 (which was a game I didn't really care much for either).

I have 4 level 80 characters. I keep coming back to the game.

One of the best mmorpgs ever easily. It should've come to consoles, it's already perfectly playable with a controller now.

Skill system was shit compared GW1 - The skills in GW1 acted like Magic the Gathering cards. Each skill did something simple and you loaded a 'deck' of 10 skills at Town before playing PVE or PVP. You had 1000s of unique builds and a whole meta of builds (game was sometimes called Build Wars) you had everything from 55 HP monks, aura devishes, pet or touch rangers, hammer rangers, interupt rangers, pet rangers (ranger was my fav) and othet stuff.

GW1 Vet over 5000 hours, max HoM, max titles, etc..i did it all

GW1 has a 1000 skill yet so many of them are useless, Anet nerf them to hell and back, even after the PvP/PvE skill split update majority of the skills remain useless, while GW2 may have less skills, I can create a build that works, it may go against the current brain dead community meta, but it works and i don't die in WvW/PvP or PvE, same can't be said about GW1, i spent 6 months experimenting with useless skills and got nothing in return, as Nintendo say quality over quantity...

The open world made your efforts utterly pointless, since everything was either mobbed by 100 players or deserted and therefore impossible (or tedious). There were major issues with areas being too crowded for the server to cope so that enemies and players would be invisible.
There were very few times where you'd have the right number of people to make it interesting and the was almost never any teamwork since everyone just managed their own heals/buffs.

I was really hyped for a game that avoided GW1's "LFG, need 2 monks" trinity of not enough healers. But they didn't replace the trinity with anything good. Everyone just did their own thing, and most non-DPS classes were pointless in large groups due to the debuff caps and general weakness of healing, tanking and control skills.
The dungeons were utterly awful (at least arond launch). Most were only possible to complete with a super-dedicated group or by respawn-rushing until you eventually wore the enemies down.

Lastly, the skill rotations were too repetitive. There just weren't enough interesting rotations and too many skills were just, "mash when off cooldown because why the hell not". DPS was everything since you didn't have many useful defensive skills. Offence was the only means of defence.

Maybe they fixed all these problems, but I think everyone had moved on by then.
It wasn't as bad as the above might sound - but it just wasn't good enough and didn't have the group feeling that GW1 did.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I was so, SO hyped for GW2 before release, but was ultimately let down. It's a solid game, but the group play is too chaotic and unsatisfying.

Karsha

Aside from the gameplay I think that a big role played the fact that when GW1 was released WoW was THE thing and a lot of people saw GW1 as a free(as in without monthly payment) to WoW. When GW2 came out the hype was kinda over and most people that got into MMO because of WoW already left or became just attached to warcraft...

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I keep it installed, and I log on to play every so often. I have fun with it when I play, then just get distracted by other stuff.

Usually someone else mentions it and I go "Oh yeah!" and get back on.

I think another expansion is coming soon no?

GW1 Vet over 5000 hours, max HoM, max titles, etc..i did it all

GW1 has a 1000 skill yet so many of them are useless, Anet nerf them to hell and back, even after the PvP/PvE skill split update majority of the skills remain useless, while GW2 may have less skills, I can create a build that works, it may go against the current brain dead community meta, but it works and i don't die in WvW/PvP or PvE, same can't be said about GW1, i spent 6 months experimenting with useless skills and got nothing in return, as Nintendo say quality over quantity...
you say this like GW2 doesn't have god awful skills. Most elite skills are fucking awful, even. GW1 might have more bad skills by volume, but the build diversity is many orders of magnitude larger.

GW2 fucked it by not carbon copying the first game, but with modern concessions.

I absolutely adored the first game, bought the second without even thinking. They ruined the combat by making it feel like an absolutely unfocused mess, and destroyed specific roles due to the whole "anyone can do anything" thing.

The story was also garbage as hell. I played through the entirety of everything from start to Heart of Thorns, and I can tell you, I never want to see one of those stupid salad shits again. By the time I'd finished the core story, I was just mashing through conversations just to get them over with, to get to the gameplay.

The only cool addition to the game was jumping puzzles. The other attempted things, like server-wide events, just didn't work out. I remember the moment I regretted my purchase very well, which was the Lost Shores event. It was just a big dumb zerg rush boss battle, and the servers couldn't handle it at all. Things were phasing out so you were fighting invisible shit, and people were mass disconnecting so there weren't enough players to actually take on the boss properly.

They killed the tight, controlled gameplay of the first and decided to go with a huge and out of control style for the second game. It really pissed me off. I loved the PVP in GW1 as well, almost felt like a lite MOBA when you look back on it (Jade Quarry was my home for a loooong time). The PVP was a mess in GW2, especially WVW. Another zergfest where the servers culled a whole load of player models so you couldn't even see who you were fighting.

Laiza

GW2 has interesting ideas and terrible execution. Combat is awful, the story is a snoozefest and the class/skill system is a massive downgrade from GW1 (which was a game I didn't really care much for either).
Really, everything surrounding the combat is terrible and brings the entire game down several notches.

They removed roles without thinking about what should replace them, not realizing that you really NEED roles of some sort to make partying coherent. Even Blade & Soul's devs understood that much.

Someone to hold aggro, someone to shield the party during a global AoE, someone to protect and revive people that get downed, someone to buff the party and increase efficiency, etc., etc. Even if you take out, say, the healer role entirely, you still need other roles present for things to make sense. (Tanking in particular is something I don't think any game can really go without, unless they build in mechanics so that every class can do it on some level, which Arenanet did not.)

There's a lot to learn from GW2's mistakes. There's also things they did pretty well, but unfortunately they did not outshine the things they did poorly in my mind.

BrettWeir

As someone who was hardcore in to it the first couple years, it became monotonous. Aesthetics can only go so far. I don't understand the grind for legendaries when the stats are the same as crafted items.

Mirrored classes (PVP/WvW) also make it an absolute bore.

But for me, more than anything, is coming back, they did so many drastic changes to the skills system that it's overbearing.

I tried to get back into it recently.......but am really struggling to have fun.

Maffis

I loved playing it with my GF but after hitting lvl 20 the game just started to feel kinda pointless, you know? I'm a sucker for progression, that's why I love leveling characters in WoW (or used to) but in GW2 you get to the cap so quickly. After that you're basically just there for PvP and grinding cosmetics. No interesting raids or dungeons and everything was the same for everyone. I also didn't like how chaotic the dungeons felt. I prefer the old trinity system because GW2-dungeons were utterly chaos back when I played it.

The thing is that wasn't actually the initial intent. They talked about replacing 'tank' with 'control' and 'heal' with support. We heard about Mesmer controlling bosses with clones, earth elementalists tanking them, engineers supporting etc. The point wasn't to get rid of those roles, it was to give every class the option of doing each role.

None of that panned out, but that was actually the original thing they wanted. They didn't aim to turn everyone into a dps class, they just didn't figure out the solution and found a playerbase that liked the mindlessness of it all.

I think this is being unfair. Severely.

I'm not a fan of the dungeons in GW2. Always thought they were the worst aspect of the game, but to me, the strength of the game is that there are roles (like you speak of) it's just that it's chaotic and poorly explained.

There is CC, there is healing, there is sponging, there is cleanses and sustains. The thing is just that nobody is dedicated in anything.

I don't understand why the reduced empowerment of roles negates the idea that you don't have a role at all.
If anything, it ads more diversity and responsibility to your participation.

A person who tries to hold aggro, can tank for a bit, but need to swap up, heal self, get heals from others, buffs from others, and cleanses from others, mean while the others in the group holds the mobs attention, until the the guy can jump back in.

And so it is for everyone.

It removes this situation where someone is just using a archaic taunt aggro mechanic and looking at gauges of threat level, and healers being dedicated backdroppers only doing one thing.

Yes, it's chaotic and poorly explained a lot of the time, but GW2s group dynamic is not mindless. It's just poorly understood.
And I dont blame people- the dungeons were really garbage, but the group play is a lot more than that.
Doing Marionette with 200 players is one of the most insane things I've ever done in a MMO. Beats any thrill I've had in a instanced dungeon or raid in other MMOs.

They did add TERA-style aiming in the expansion. It works even better than TERA thanks to the lack of animation rooting. Its really awesome. Plays like Jedi Knight now when you're running around with a melee weapon aiming at people. :)

But more pressingly, are you really sure you understood the game, if what you got out of the game was "if it's not a cooldown, press it".

When you pick up a weapon, that weapon will usually have effects that you know from other MMOs- DOTs, gap closers, snares, escapes, AOE, single target, whatever.

If I used your argument and said that the combat of MMORPG X or Y was shit because I just pressed everything if it was not on a cooldown, would you say that that showed a lack of understanding of that games combat system?

I don't think that GW2 has clunky combat. It's very tight, animation wise, and it has a lot of flexibility and creativity in how you can create a character. Learning to dodge well, or getting escapes is something you become later in the game. Partially through your own skills, and partially through the upgrades you apply to your armor and weapons which transforms and evolves the abillities of your core skills.

I find the animation to be among the best I've seen (outside of BDO). The way the ankle of the foot responds to small rocks, bricks and surfaces is awesome. And I love the razor sharp Q and E strafing that really makes the game feel responsive.

The game is based around having two weapons. Each weapon you pick is supposed to be its own playstyle (a rework of GW1s dual class system, but pruned the clutter), so changing your weapon on the fly makes the game about using two swapable skill systems in conjuction- with the secondary skills, your heal, utillities and elite which you choose from a larger deck.
Well, I'm glad they fixed the aiming but if there's no commitment aka 'animation rooting' then it's still fundamentally like a bunch of headless chickens running around spurting blood from their neckholes at each other :/
If Tera's combat is worse to you because the actions have their own associated movements and movement restrictions then I suspect we're fundamentally looking for something different from one another :p You mention Jedi Knight, but at least in that the direction you moved still had an impact on the attacks you brought out.

I understood the game well enough to the point where I was starting to wonder if I'd fundamentally broken the PvE combat entirely. My last experiment before I quit was when I'd concocted an engineer bomber build that healed itself with it's own explosions and could kill entire hordes of monsters by running around gathering aggro then just dropping a sequence of bombs behind it to detonate in the pursuer's faces with little to no risk. It was so brain dead that it finally killed what little interest I'd managed to maintain in the game. Before that I'd been mincing crowds up with a self-comboing engineer that used some sequence I forget involving mines, fire walls and stuff to end up with a fairly huge stack of might buffs in a very short space of time.

This was all before any of the expansions ever came out so I'm sure they'll have fixed a bunch of the things I found, but it doesn't sound like they've likely changed direction on anything that fundamentally bothered me. While I could honestly have rolled my face on the keyboard for some of the fights, most of them just boiled down to the same old optimised sequence ala most MMOs but with less abilities. I'm all for less abillities, but not if it's just going to end up doing optimised rotations as usual :/ I mean heck, I love PSO and all you really do in that is smack stuff. It's barely got any abillities at all XD

Again, coming from Tera or the like, the dodging on GW2 felt pretty... basic. It's just I-frames rather than clever hitbox stuff. I don't end up with fun stuff like jumping over someone's vertical slice (which is normally a really stupid idea because if you get hit in the air in Tera it's an automatic knock-down) because I know it's low enough for me to just barely hop over or some such.

Also, nodding to PSO, if you're going to remove roles/the holy trinity, then the burden of exciting combat often falls to the enemies instead as it's their tactics/abilities that then become the thing that can push people into working together or altering how they play. I don't feel GW2 really mixed it up much, again, within the low to mid levels of the non-expansion game. I haven't paid any attention to the expacs so it's possible they fixed things up, though I'm dubious :p

I tried leveling, was really boring, as in the limited skill sets and there wasn't anything exciting to look forward to. I lost interest around like level 30.

I think it's a thing with mmo's in general for me now, you need to give a taste of end game while leveling in order to sell me. The bit I played seemed overly simplistic.

I played GW1 but was always a casual (being a young teen when I was playing it). I loved the story and the world of Guild Wars, so when they announced GW2, I nearly shit myself. I was hyped for that game for YEARS.

Bought it right when it came out and blazed my way through it, hitting 80 I think in less than 2 weeks of launch. I had grand plans to level up several alts, bought a bunch of characters slots and stuff, and then just quit. Basically once I began to reflect on what I played, I discovered that I wasn't really having any fun. Using the same exact attacks for almost the entire game, due to the weapon skill system, was boring as fuck. Mindless zerging dungeons due to the lack of holy trinity (which seemed cool at the time, but I definitely am against now), and worst of all, a terrible fucking story. I played Charr, and it started off well enough, but it seemed like once you got out of the racial stories it got much worse. Then Traeherne was introduced and it went straight into the shitter.

You don't design a game's story around "YOU are the hero" and then introduce an annoying character that steals your thunder over and over again and does absolutely nothing during story quests, and then gets congratulated by all the other characters (and YOUR character) for his uselessness. Traeherne more than anything killed my damn buzz for that game.

In addition, the flow of leveling without proper quests sucked. Yeah, there were hearts, but there were not even nearly enough to flow through a zone, and events just weren't common enough. On top of that, that meant each zone had no fucking story. Or at least not nearly enough of one for a modern game.

Jumping puzzles were cool, I loved the art design, it wasn't a complete disappointment, but it's probably one of my greatest, after being hyped for so damn long.

On top of that, the game's been out for years and we still haven't seen Elona or Cantha. Guild Wars 1 had so much shit in such a short span of time, while GW2 has been anemic.

I remember at launch people were saying that this was the MMO to kill all MMO. Dethrone WoW and utterly destroys it. But seriously I play the game now. Picked it up about a month ago. Level 72. I like the game. Good MMO for casual MMO player like me who doesn't have the hours to sink in a MMO anymore. I think this and ESO are the 2 best MMO out right now. While SWTOR is the worst imo.

Well, I'm glad they fixed the aiming but if there's no commitment aka 'animation rooting' then it's still fundamentally like a bunch of headless chickens running around spurting blood from their neckholes at each other :/

How is animation rooting related to "commitment"?

Rooting is an aftersight for a design where they were incapable of making seamless animations in play between ranged and melee. Aka, the gameplay between a melee being able to catch up to a foe that was running away.

To me, rooting is a sign of bad animation and bad gameplay. It's something I really hated in Blade and Souls skills, though it was far from all skills.

If Tera's combat is worse to you because the actions have their own associated movements and movement restrictions then I suspect we're fundamentally looking for something different from one another :p You mention Jedi Knight, but at least in that the direction you moved still had an impact on the attacks you brought out.

Yes, Jedi Knight and Mount and Blade reward positional awareness. GW2 doesn't care. It merely gives you the "feel" of having a reticle. But it's not like you can actually aim in TERA either with your leet skillz.

I understood the game well enough to the point where I was starting to wonder if I'd fundamentally broken the PvE combat entirely. My last experiment before I quit was when I'd concocted an engineer bomber build that healed itself with it's own explosions and could kill entire hordes of monsters by running around gathering aggro then just dropping a sequence of bombs behind it to detonate in the pursuer's faces with little to no risk. It was so brain dead that it finally killed what little interest I'd managed to maintain in the game. Before that I'd been mincing crowds up with a self-comboing engineer that used some sequence I forget involving mines, fire walls and stuff to end up with a fairly huge stack of might buffs in a very short space of time.

I don't follow? Yes, the game is easy if you attack easy mobs in a low level area. But you can say this about any games. There a gazillion mobs that will fuck your engineer bomber build up. There is plenty of risk and instant death, but you have to go out of the starting zone.

This was all before any of the expansions ever came out so I'm sure they'll have fixed a bunch of the things I found, but it doesn't sound like they've likely changed direction on anything that fundamentally bothered me. While I could honestly have rolled my face on the keyboard for some of the fights, most of them just boiled down to the same old optimised sequence ala most MMOs but with less abilities. I'm all for less abillities, but not if it's just going to end up doing optimised rotations as usual :/ I mean heck, I love PSO and all you really do in that is smack stuff. It's barely got any abillities at all XD

How so? Engineer has many abillities. Within the kits are 5 skills each, of different categories, with corrosponding F skills to match that can allow you to spec into nearly any role you want. Engineer at any time 30-40 skills if you want to. None of which can be condensed into a simple rotation.

Again, coming from Tera or the like, the dodging on GW2 felt pretty... basic. It's just I-frames rather than clever hitbox stuff. I don't end up with fun stuff like jumping over someone's vertical slice (which is normally a really stupid idea because if you get hit in the air in Tera it's an automatic knock-down) because I know it's low enough for me to just barely hop over or some such.

If this is the barrier of entry you want to hair comb things through, you might as well say that TERA is garbage because it just is reduced to timing and standing out of a monsters AOA.

And what is clever "hitbox stuff"?

Vestal

Gold Member
I love GW2, but like others have said I don't rely on it as my primary MMO. At least not until they fix some of the QOL improvements that are sorely needed.

Here are a few improvements that are sorely needed.

1. Crafting: STREAMLINE THIS FUCKER
2. Engine: Its 2017 and this game still runs like dogshit at times. Too CPU dependent. Rework the engine to take advantage of modern GPUs
3. Builds: Allow me to store builds with skills/gear and able to switch between them easily.
4. If you want me to do fractals, make it at least a bit more rewarding regarding gear.

Now the tough part. Review all classes and redesign around roles. The roleless setup currently really limits your ability to design better encounters. If that means bringing back a possible trinity so be it.

dsp

I played the original game a lot, both pve and pvp. I loved the instanced world,but what really set it apart was the pvp. It was so dope. I came to the game from team based competitive fps and it actually held up while still being different. Also, the paragon is my favorite design of a non traditional fantasy character.

I love GW2, but like others have said I don't rely on it as my primary MMO. At least not until they fix some of the QOL improvements that are sorely needed.

Here are a few improvements that are sorely needed.

1. Crafting: STREAMLINE THIS FUCKER
2. Engine: Its 2017 and this game still runs like dogshit at times. Too CPU dependent. Rework the engine to take advantage of modern GPUs
3. Builds: Allow me to store builds with skills/gear and able to switch between them easily.
4. If you want me to do fractals, make it at least a bit more rewarding regarding gear.

Now the tough part. Review all classes and redesign around roles. The roleless setup currently really limits your ability to design better encounters. If that means bringing back a possible trinity so be it.
I think this game have pretty good performance. I have a i5 processor and a 1070 this game runs smooth like butter 100+ fps at 1080p unless in big world events then it drops to 40-30. But that's when you have 100 people chucking spells all over the place. This imo had the best optimization aside from WoW. If you want to see a diaster engine optimization look no further than swtor.

I remember at launch people were saying that this was the MMO to kill all MMO. Dethrone WoW and utterly destroys it.

People said that about every MMO since WoW. I remember Wildstar would sink WoW too......

I played GW2 for a while and levelled a bunch of classes. It's got some neat ideas and it looks great but it just kind of feels pointless.

I'd love it for some game to come up with a fun alternative to the holy trinity but ANet only got halfway there. They got rid of it but didn't come up with anything new.

All I remember was people leveling by doing the train in the low level zones. Don't even have to leave.

GW2 is a good game.

But as is the case with all other MMOs, World of Warcraft has created a minimum standard that I expect ALL MMO's to abide by and NONE of them has matched the fluidity or feel of WoW.

GW2 is a beautiful game, but the combat is clunky and the classes all seem pigeon-holed and uninteresting.

I made a Charr Engineer (flametthrower with some gadgets), which sounded awesome on 'paper', but it's one of the clunkiest and horrible classes imaginable. I forced myself to play it through the storyline for a while and just gave up on it.

Tanston

I was so, SO hyped for GW2 before release, but was ultimately let down. It's a solid game, but the group play is too chaotic and unsatisfying.

This about sums it up for me. I thought I was excited about the holy trinity being removed but it turns out I really like healing in MMOs. And the group play just felt super spammy and not satisfying. They created a great world though and I loved the special events.

How is animation rooting related to "commitment"?

Rooting is an aftersight for a design where they were incapable of making seamless animations in play between ranged and melee. Aka, the gameplay between a melee being able to catch up to a foe that was running away.

To me, rooting is a sign of bad animation and bad gameplay. It's something I really hated in Blade and Souls skills, though it was far from all skills.

Yes, Jedi Knight and Mount and Blade reward positional awareness. GW2 doesn't care. It merely gives you the "feel" of having a reticle. But it's not like you can actually aim in TERA either with your leet skillz.

I don't follow? Yes, the game is easy if you attack easy mobs in a low level area. But you can say this about any games. There a gazillion mobs that will fuck your engineer bomber build up. There is plenty of risk and instant death, but you have to go out of the starting zone.

How so? Engineer has many abillities. Within the kits are 5 skills each, of different categories, with corrosponding F skills to match that can allow you to spec into nearly any role you want. Engineer at any time 30-40 skills if you want to. None of which can be condensed into a simple rotation.

If this is the barrier of entry you want to hair comb things through, you might as well say that TERA is garbage because it just is reduced to timing and standing out of a monsters AOA.

And what is clever "hitbox stuff"?
Animation locking is commitment in exactly what it is. you commit to the attack, which means you can't change your mind once it starts and so you have to choose what you do based on the situation and how you can afford to make yourself vulnerable. It's a fundamental of most fighting games. Without it, most fighters would just be an excercise in seeing who can hit the attack button repeatedly the fastest :p
If you don't think you can aim your attacks in Tera... well... have you played it? Almost all your attacks have hitboxes and even the ranged ones have actual projectiles that can miss or be evaded except in a few very select cases. I mean heck, one of my dueling tricks is to turn during the warrior's basic attack combo so the forward motion on the attack will carry me in a circle around my victim, clipping them with the edge of the swing while also advancing out of the way of their attacks (which, conveniently, is a good example of clever hitbox stuff you wondered about :3 )

you seem determined to assume weird things about my experience of GW2, like... why would I have lost interest if my bomber build worked in the starter area with no effort? I lost interest because it worked in an area quite considerably above my level against mobs I really shouldn't have been able to fight: just a hit from them would take off half my health and I think one or two of them probably could've one-shot me... y'know, if they'd actually hit me instead of just stupidly following me into all my explosions repeatedly :p

I appreciate you're on defence mode for GW2 there, but the fact you didn't seem to think I knew how weapons even worked in your earlier post or that I'd never left the starter area just seems like you're reaching a bit too hard, plus it's just kind of insulting that you have jumped to thinking I'd make snap decisions about games rather than playing them fairly extensively before coming to a conclusion. I said in my posts that I didn't go into the top level stuff, but I went through more characters than I care to admit exploring the mid stuff at least, repeatedly, as just about every class going :p

Ebris

Think I left around the time Terrormancer was nerfed into the dirt. Necro finally had a good build (Dhumfire was pretty OP so I understood why it was nerfed), but then they ruined that.

Look on the forums and it still seems necros are still shit. Oh well.

agc

I played for a month or so after launch as a Necro, but the pet AI was incredibly stupid and then it just also seemed I didn't really do a whole lot of damage in general and everything was designed for players to just zerg it. Dungeons were just a mess.

I thought about Heart of Thorns when it was closer to coming out but then some of ArenaNet's shenanigans at the time turned me off from supporting it.

Levito

Banned
I think I put about 300+ hours into the game, got both a Mesmer and a Guardian to level 80. Did world completion on one, did a fair bit of WvW on the other. I wanted to like this game so bad, but it's just so painfully boring.

The PvE is so shallow and mindless. When it's not they introduce weird esoteric mechanics in an encounter that feel half baked. Fractals were some of the worst PvE content I've ever seen in an MMO.

The world and story is like a dime a dozen fantasy novel too, last time I played everyone was mad at this villain named Scarlett that was the big bad for... reasons? I could never put much time into the personal story cause it wasn't ancillary to the rest of the game.

The game is just dull and shallow in most regards. It had a lot of high ambitions, for its time especially. I do think the art direction in the game is really good, as in ArenaNet's client/server infrastructure is really impressive(no downtime). I get why people like it but it's certainly not for me.

Kalentan

I think I put about 300+ hours into the game, got both a Mesmer and a Guardian to level 80. Did world completion on one, did a fair bit of WvW on the other. I wanted to like this game so bad, but it's just so painfully boring.

The PvE is so shallow and mindless. When it's not they introduce weird esoteric mechanics in an encounter that feel half baked. Fractals were some of the worst PvE content I've ever seen in an MMO.

The world and story is like a dime a dozen fantasy novel too, last time I played everyone was mad at this villain named Scarlett that was the big bad for... reasons? I could never put much time into the personal story cause it wasn't ancillary to the rest of the game.

The game is just dull and shallow in most regards. It had a lot of high ambitions, for its time especially. I do think the art direction in the game is really good, as in ArenaNet's client/server infrastructure is really impressive(no downtime). I get why people like it but it's certainly not for me.

300+ hours and doesn't like the game.

I just don't understand how someone could do that unless they're fond of doing stuff they don't enjoy.

It's completely foreign concept to me. What ever happened to not playing games you don't enjoy.

because it sucks.

Yup totally sucks. That's why it's one of the most popular MMOs on the market right now.

Levito

Banned
300+ hours and doesn't like the game.

I just don't understand how someone could do that unless they're fond of doing stuff they don't enjoy.

It's completely foreign concept to me. What ever happened to not playing games you don't enjoy.

I played with a group of friends at the time and like *a lot* of group activities, when you're actually spending time with people you enjoy the company of, low and behold the whole experience can elevate itself.

Not exactly a difficult concept to grasp, yeah? And as I already mentioned, the game has it's moments. World completion and jumping puzzles are fun(once).

Personally, I hated the combat. But the worst part about the game was that for two years, the post-release content was absolute garbage. I got bored the moment I turned 80.

DrSlek

I loved it. I mained Char Thief, but experimented with Human dagger Elementalist and Asura Engineer.

Edit: The one thing that annoyed me was the trading post. You can't make a profit using that thing. Anything I craft sells for less than the total cost of the materials.

Animation locking is commitment in exactly what it is. you commit to the attack, which means you can't change your mind once it starts and so you have to choose what you do based on the situation and how you can afford to make yourself vulnerable. It's a fundamental of most fighting games. Without it, most fighters would just be an excercise in seeing who can hit the attack button repeatedly the fastest :p

This is a fallacy. You don't commit less to an attack just because your character is not rooted. A combat animation plays out at its same pace regardless if the character is rooted or not. This has nothing to do with committing to a command after input.

If you don't think you can aim your attacks in Tera... well... have you played it? Almost all your attacks have hitboxes and even the ranged ones have actual projectiles that can miss or be evaded except in a few very select cases. I mean heck, one of my dueling tricks is to turn during the warrior's basic attack combo so the forward motion on the attack will carry me in a circle around my victim, clipping them with the edge of the swing while also advancing out of the way of their attacks (which, conveniently, is a good example of clever hitbox stuff you wondered about :3 )

You can dodge projectiles in Guild Wars too. That's not what I mean- I mean aiming like in a first person shooter. You made it sound like TERA has aiming like a FPS. Neither TERA or Guild Wars are dictated by twitch eye coordination. I don't think your example is an example of clever hitbox. you got skills upgrades that give various different damage parameters depending on angle and positioning of attack.
Further more, invincibility frames are exclusively used for dodges if I am not mistaken.

you seem determined to assume weird things about my experience of GW2, like... why would I have lost interest if my bomber build worked in the starter area with no effort? I lost interest because it worked in an area quite considerably above my level against mobs I really shouldn't have been able to fight: just a hit from them would take off half my health and I think one or two of them probably could've one-shot me... y'know, if they'd actually hit me instead of just stupidly following me into all my explosions repeatedly :p

Look, you summed up and declared that the game was brain dead, citing an ambiguous example of a theoretical experiment you made at a theoretical level with a theoretical build. It just reeks of reductionist shitposting to sum up the entirety of your experience as proof. Like seriously? It's a defeatist and shitty way to conjour up repour how you feel about the game.

I appreciate you're on defence mode for GW2 there, but the fact you didn't seem to think I knew how weapons even worked in your earlier post or that I'd never left the starter area just seems like you're reaching a bit too hard, plus it's just kind of insulting that you have jumped to thinking I'd make snap decisions about games rather than playing them fairly extensively before coming to a conclusion. I said in my posts that I didn't go into the top level stuff, but I went through more characters than I care to admit exploring the mid stuff at least, repeatedly, as just about every class going :p

I don't have a problem with anybody not liking the game. I'm sympathetic with a lot of the posters here, but it's not to much to ask you to clarify specifically. Nobody is trying to hard for asking you to clarify and owning up to what you're saying.

Fishious

I loved it. I mained Char Thief, but experimented with Human dagger Elementalist and Asura Engineer.

Edit: The one thing that annoyed me was the trading post. You can't make a profit using that thing. Anything I craft sells for less than the total cost of the materials.

I've actually made most of my money off the trading post. Crafting in general isn't terribly profitable, but there are some time gated items (like ascended materials) that you can turn a profit on. Since a lot of people level crafting to level up their characters, most people can craft for themselves. Since there isn't a gear treadmill most equipment isn't profitable. A lot of it is simply figuring out what items are in demand (or soon to be in demand), if it's something not everyone can make (due to rare recipes), and generally finding oddball stuff where supply isn't being met for whatever reason. And of course nobody's willing to share their TP secrets because then that opportunity dries up ;)

GW2spidy is a useful tool to gauge the profitability of different items. Also useful for keeping tabs on market fluctuations.

Kinda not-so-pretty game that has bland combat and a "me-too" WoW design.

Atleast FF looks pretty and has a good world of lore going on.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

You know what is alsk actually extremely important to 3d action games? Animation cancelling. Tera is no dark souls it takes far more influence from traditional actions games like dmc where animation cancelling is a thing. There's a reason why comboss in Tera barely feel fluid. Compare and contrast with Vindictus which so much more responsive and fluid it's not even funny.

Kinda not-so-pretty game that has bland combat and a "me-too" WoW design.

Atleast FF looks pretty and has a good world of lore going on.
Imo Guild Wars 2 looks significantly better visually than FF. And to call GW2's combat bland while not taking shots at FF for literally managing to have combat worse than WoW is hilarious.

FF is actually known for literally being a WoW clone. GW2 is just about as far from being WoW as it can possiblly be. And FF's story is only interesting if you're already a fan of FF. It contains nothing of interest for most MMO players who don't care about story. If I wanted a game with good story, I'd play a single-player game.

Aaron

My little brother put over 2000 hours into Guild Wars 1.

He didn't put more than 50 into 2. Dunno what's up with that.
Because GW2 was garbage in comparison to the first one. I probably had the same hour count in both cases. Guild Wars, especially early on, was so easy to pair up and go into quests with how it was structured. Becoming more of a traditional MMO in the sequel was a huge turn off. Plus it's an ugly looking game that wasn't as fun for me to play.

Top Bottom