• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Japanese games are breaking up with the West?

Authority

Banned
Japan used to rule video games, so what happened?

James Mielke, a game developer and former video game journalist who started BitSummit after working in Japan, puts the decline down to a number of reasons, including the shift from arcade hardware to more powerful consoles like the Xbox. "Sega was able to make their games on the most powerful graphics hardware available, but then arcades started dying down and people started playing less in arcades and started playing at home because the consoles were getting stronger," he says. "So when the Xbox came out with distinctly PC architecture, all these Western developers who were used to developing for PC suddenly had this uniform platform."

As Western studios like Halo creator Bungie grew more adept at producing high-budget games on high-powered console hardware, Japanese developers struggled to adapt to the last generation; the Xbox 360 failed to make a dent in the country and the PlayStation 3’s inscrutable Cell processor proved difficult to unlock. "Japanese game development is not especially optimal," says Mielke. "They’re lacking certain disciplines and they’re just not super efficient. Western developers were just very comfortable in the environment."

Meanwhile, Japanese consumers remained reluctant to buy into new consoles altogether, with the notable exception of Nintendo’s inexpensive, accessible DS and Wii. The software libraries for both Nintendo systems were far more expansive in Japan than in the West, with developers eager to capitalize on Nintendo’s unique hardware and broader demographic. But while this led to a wealth of innovative Japanese software, few titles were big hits and fewer still made it out of the country. The PSP was another success story in Japan, cementing the country’s preference for portable games, but that was driven by the huge popularity of Capcom’s Monster Hunter franchise, which never caught on in the West. "On the portable side, Japan is the healthiest market in the world, and there are lots of consumers playing games on portable devices because they use it on the train," says Shu Yoshida, president of Sony Worldwide Studios. "So the divided attention from publishers delayed the ramp-up of the PS3 generation compared to the US and Europe."

Tastes changed, too. Mark MacDonald, executive director at Tokyo localization company 8-4, says the industry’s prevailing shift in tone from fantasy worlds to gritty warfare has seen the rest of the world leave Japan behind. "First-person shooters rely on realism, but a lot of Japanese game design comes from a imaginative aesthetic where it’s not just going for straight realism. But that [realism] was kind of what people started to want."

Western games have never been popular in Japan, and as the rise of the console FPS further alienated Japanese consumers, local developers prioritized their home market even more than in the past. "I think most Japanese publishers and developers have realized that, instead of trying to mimic what's popular outside Japan, they should make what they understand culturally and what they can do best," says Yoshida. This is sensible, of course, and can even lead to unpredictable Western successes like From Software’s unforgiving action RPGs Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls. But it’s a vicious circle — Western games grow more and more removed from Japanese consumer tastes, so Japanese companies serve their home market by stopping any attempt to appeal to the rest of the world, and Japan’s global influence continues to decline.

"They should make what they understand culturally and what they can do best"

As the spiritual home of video games, Japan was once the biggest source of the industry’s more far-out concepts, from the pill-popping Pac-Man to the hip-hop dog Parappa the Rapper. The PlayStation 2 in particular played host to a treasure trove of innovative Japanese games, many of which became breakout hits like Shadow of the Colossus and Katamari Damacy. But it’s hard to imagine those on store shelves today. With the cost of development rising and Japan’s triple-A studios unwilling to take major risks, the unbridled diversity of the country’s output isn’t what it once was. That’s not a problem unique to Japan; EA, Ubisoft, and Activision’s relentless drive to make their franchises an annual event is one of the less positive trends of recent years. The West has a secret weapon, though — indie games.

Indie games are one of the best reasons to buy a game console these days. As the first generation of consoles with built-in internet connectivity and storage across the board, the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii offered a unique opportunity for developers. For the first time, independent creators had a path to get their games published on consoles for a low price without overheads or retail distribution. And it worked — games like Braid and Journey became not only some of the most innovative titles on their platforms, but some of the most popular.

But Japan hasn’t kept up. Although Sony and Microsoft are courting indie games as major selling points for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, there’s almost no Japanese presence so far. It might mystify the many people who count Daisuke Amaya’s seminal Cave Story among the first indie games they ever played, but Japan’s independent scene is nowhere near as advanced as that of the West.

One reason is the relative lack of adoption of digital downloads and other online services in Japan. "Online multiplayer games are way more popular outside Japan, so that doesn't help," says Yoshida. "And the lack of smaller Japanese-developed games doesn’t create the habit in people to visit the PSN store every Tuesday, for example." And, as anyone who’s been to electronics meccas like Akihabara knows, there’s still a strong tradition of building up a physical games collection, and used games in particular remain popular in a country where rentals are banned.

"It’s not like Japanese users can’t get used to downloading games," says Inafune. "It’s sort of a chicken-and-egg problem — will people get used to downloading games because there are good indie games, or will indie-game developers make more games because people are downloading? So I think that if you put the effort in and if you make good indie games, then the users will follow." Yoshida says that Sony is doing its part to support the take-up of digital downloads in Japan by offering three free months of PlayStation Plus with each PS4, as well as a promotion where users can get ¥1000 (about $10) of free store credit by trialling various services.

But another big reason the games aren’t there yet is the country’s notorious work culture. There’s a lot of pressure in Japan to find a long-term job straight out of college, as many companies tend to pick new graduates for the vast majority of their hires; it’s a problem that’s affected Japan’s startup scene as well. "People in Japan are very conservative in choosing where to work," says Yoshida. "So, even if you are young and talented and have some great ideas to make games, when you say, ‘I'm going to start up my own company,’ your parents will say, ‘Why are you doing this? Work for a great company!’"

Read more - Japan used to rule video games, so what happened?

2013&2012

"Asian game companies must adapt or risk becoming irrelevant to Western gamers.

Read more - My Way Or The Bullet Train: How Asian Game Companies are Getting It Wrong

Pete: I think we can probably sum all this up by saying that if you want to continue to enjoy Japanese games, portable and PC seem to be the places to be. The PS3 has had a decent enough run of JRPGs -- though mostly of the moe variety, with a few exceptions -- but yeah; 3DS, PSP, Vita and PC are the platforms to keep an eye on in the coming years, I think.

Read more - 2013 in Review: The State of the Japanese Games Industry

This is a very old article. In fact it is a 3 year old article. However I would like to know whether that question is still relevant. I am completely ignorant on how things have changed over time so I would like the GAF community to share its light on this matter.

"It's not you, it's me." That's the message the Japanese gaming industry is telling the world this week at TGS. "Our games are as good as ever, they're just not for you anymore."

Critics in the west have been crowing about the supposed death of the Japanese industry for years. And while their critiques have a certain degree of truth to them, they're missing the point. Japanese game development did run into trouble during this console generation, but their issues are so removed from the average gamer's experience (workforce and labor management) as to be meaningless. The games themselves are as good as they've ever been, but they're just not made for the entire world anymore.

Japanese games are now by and large made to appeal almost exclusively to Japanese gamers. Rather than this being another piece that focuses on the alleged downfall of the Japanese industry, we thought we should focus on why Japanese games and western tastes have diverged so much in recent years. There's no single cause that can explain the phenomena -- the possible reasons range from the social and economic, to the practical and mundane. Regardless, the fact remains that Japanese gamers are now seeking different experiences from North Americans and Europeans.

Read the full article over here -Why Japanese Games are Breaking Up With the West

StuBurns

Banned
SE have talked about how BD:FF's performance worldwide has given them confidence to be as Japanese as they want and believe the West will buy it if it's good.

And Ni no Kuni seemed to do well, despite the marketing poison of the title.

So no, I would say it doesn't still stand.

Brofield

I never considered the idea, though it is an interesting one.

I like to think Hollywood has had some effect, going to the theatres, getting brown and dark cinematic experiences, hella explosions, game developers have effectively guessed correctly that a profitable margin of people want that at home.

Can't say I count myself among those gamers, though. To say the Japanese industry has lost it's touch with recent games like Wonderful 101, simply because they are colourful, and have more gameplay than cutscenes, make it a hard case to support to any degree.

The articles pretty much said what I was gonna say. The games aren't really made with us in mind. First thing that came to mind upon reading the title was exactly that.

To say the Japanese industry has lost it's touch with recent games like Wonderful 101, simply because they are colourful, and have more gameplay than cutscenes, make it a hard case to support to any degree.

Well, Platinum games aren't typically very popular in the West or Japan. They have a small but dedicated fanbase in both regions and I'm pretty sure they generally perform better in the West. It's the same case with Grasshopper I believe.

Nicktals

Banned
Ive always preferred the japanese style, and havent had any interest in AAA western games for some time, so i like the options!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SE have talked about how BD:FF's performance worldwide has given them confidence to be as Japanese as they want and believe the West will buy it if it's good.

Well, I mean, these games are doing low to low-mid six digits in the West still, which relative to their budgets isn't bad, but it's not exactly a sign of huge cultural resonance with the greater market.

I think Japan has been making games intended for a western audience actually, which has been part of the problem.

Square Enix recently admitted that they'd been making that mistake recently, and hopefully Capcom will too.

I'd love Japanese games to be Japanese games, and if they're good, we'll buy 'em.

Tain

I never considered the idea, though it is an interesting one.

I like to think Hollywood has had some effect, going to the theatres, getting brown and dark cinematic experiences, hella explosions, game developers have effectively guessed correctly that a profitable margin of people want that at home.

Can't say I count myself among those gamers, though. To say the Japanese industry has lost it's touch with recent games like Wonderful 101, simply because they are colourful, and have more gameplay than cutscenes, make it a hard case to support to any degree.

Breaking Japanese and Western games down into cutscene ratios and color palettes makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Abdiel

I primarily play Japanese made games. Things like Fable, Gears of War, Halo, Dragon Age... Most of those games really failed to grab any interest from me. Even Skyrim, which was so universally hailed, felt bland and lifeless. A lot of that has to do with my preference for a strong central narrative and characters that have actual relevance. So I want more of them Japanese games to come this way. Please T_T (Final Fantasy Type-0 plzzzzzzz)

I disagree with that entirely. We still love Japanese games. Japanese don't like Japanese games though. Square recently came out and said they were actively trying to make their games more western and realized that was a huge mistake.

Isn't it amazing how they make a more traditional JRPG style game and it sells like the old JRPG's used to?

Amazing that is.

Its similar to the movie biz. Japanese movies were up to snuff with hollywood until the mid 80s or so. Then when the budgets got higher and quality jumped... Japan just stopped trying and became an introverted movie market with budgets largely the same as back then used today. Still some great movies, but you will never hear about them outside Japan. That unwillingness to spend more money when the market grows is a common trend in Japanese bubble economics.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its funny, althought it doesn't feel like it.. nearly every game I truly love is Japanese. And right now 180hrs into Dark Souls and having just started MegaMan1 the games in my current life are Japanese as well.

DJIzana

I asked this exact question on Gametrailers Invisible Walls when I was DJNoctis. They all laughed at me lol. Now look who's right.... I knew this was happening far earlier. They were too blind to see it. :p

EmpReb

Banned
Still waiting here for the return of strangereal Ace Combat. How the world that they don't see we love those kinds of games is beyond me. It didn't feel Japanese it felt cool in the pure video game fun.

LX_Theo

Banned
At least do cheap localizations. Translate it to English in text form only (keep the Japanese dub) and release it digitally. Seriously, release it here but keep reasonable expectations.

hemo memo

Gold Member
“They should really focus on what they do best. Many games try to appease Western audiences, not understanding the culture, and most of them fail.”

~ Shuhei Yoshida

FluxWaveZ

Maybe these games don't need to appeal to everyone. If a Japanese game can cater to a specific audience and be relatively successful, it's not the end of the world if the western audience ignores those games in favor of the big AAA titles from the large studios.

Great games of Japanese origin are still being made and released outside of Japan. People have enjoyed Dark Souls II, Bravely Default, Danganronpa, BlazBlue: Chronophantasma and Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright this year, among several other games. These games (except for maybe DSII) aren't meant to be explosive titles that will capture the western audience by storm with huge advertising budgets. But they don't have to be.

Most of the games I've played that have been the most memorable and enjoyable for me are from Japan, and that probably won't be changing anytime soon. My hope is just that the dedicated audience who these games appeal to, like me, will continue to support their western releases so that Japanese developers continue to deem it worth it to localize and bring them over.

This year's looking like another where most of my favorite games will be from Japan. Looking forward to it.

Snakeyes

Japanese culture has developed a reputation for being more accepting of traditionally geeky pursuits than the west. Because so many amazing games came from Japan in the past, many imagine Japan to be a place where being a "gamer" is accepted and considered "normal." In reality it's anything but. The west is far more accepting of adults playing games. While people will often play games on their cell phones, and though the DS made major in-roads into the casual market, particularly with women, admitting to playing games still carries a stronger social stigma in Japan than in Europe or North America. As such, many adults willingly give up games, keeping the market much younger overall than elsewhere.

Japanese work habits encourage this trend. Traditional corporate culture allows very little free time for their employees. A worker is expected to stay at work until his boss leaves for the day, putting a limit on family and leisure time. Since the bosses themselves have long since adjusted to such a schedule they stay late, forcing their subordinates to stay late with them and putting a stress on both their social and family life. Younger employees are expected to work long hours. Thirteen-plus hour days are not rare.
This leaves precious little time for hobbies, including gaming. However, it's societally expected that an individual will have one, and there are a limited number of socially acceptable options. When asked, Japanese men will often say that their hobby is golf, fishing, or gardening; women will often respond with shopping, English, and, in more recent years, golf. These activities tend to fall along strict gender lines and most people tend to name only a single hobby. While it's not unheard of to name gaming as one's hobby, to do so at a typical work place would make one stand out -- something that is discouraged in group settings.

Adult gamers exist in Japan, but they're fewer in number for various reasons, including peer and work pressure. When Japanese adults do play games they do so more often than not on portable devices, and don't self-identify as "gamers." It's not a hobby, but rather something they do to kill time on a commute. In the past that meant the DS and to a lesser extent the PSP (the handheld's core market in Japan was always teenage boys, though Monster Hunter expanded the audience.) Today it means the iPhone and other smart phones. The 18-35 year old demographic that's hungry for HD experiences on their television doesn't exist outside a small group of dedicated gamers. That particular group overlaps to a large extent with those that are so fond of feeling moe. This has resulted in a market where the mass market audience plays on handhelds and the hardcore plays on consoles, which is quite different than most other markets in the world. Monster Hunter on the PSP is to Japan what Call of Duty on the 360/PS3 is to the west.

This part of the article does a good job at explaining why, barring a miracle, the traditional home console market will never return to even half of its former glory in Japan. It should also help you understand Nintendo's reasons for trying to expand the gaming population through stuff like Brain Age, the Wii or their nebulous Quality of Life platform.

well i think it's a combination of companies like SEGA, Capcom, and Square Enix trying to appeal too much to the west and then too many Japanese niche games that just don't have the type of gameplay, story, and characters that'll appeal to the west in large numbers. so it's a mix of both. i do think an IP like Mobile Suit Gundam could become big AAA franchises in the west if Namco Bandai were to "westernize" it and give it the Micheal Bay makeover with nice graphics, lots of destruction and online multiplayer.

Well, I mean, these games are doing low to low-mid six digits in the West still, which relative to their budgets isn't bad, but it's not exactly a sign of huge cultural resonance with the greater market.

But aren't those games selling around what your average JRPG did during the PSone generation, which is when many people considered JRPG's to be at their height in popularity in the west? FF, Chrono Cross and Legend of Dragoon were the games that put up the big numbers. And of course they had the fancy CG and huge marketing budgets that your average game didn't have.

I think NAMCO turned the corner on trying to appeal to the west a long time ago, so it's no surprise that they were happy with how Ni no Kuni and Xillia performed. But Square expressing excitement for Bravely Default's performance is a very positive sign. We'll have to wait and see if they're really going to change course. But at least fans showed them by buying BD that those are the games that they want.

Coxy

“They should really focus on what they do best. Many games try to appease Western audiences, not understanding the culture, and most of them fail.”

~ Shuhei Yoshida

oh shit, he really said that? thanks for posting it, happy to see he gets it

DJIzana

. The 18-35 year old demographic that's hungry for HD experiences on their television doesn't exist outside a small group of dedicated gamers.

Also, I should add that I don't agree with this quote. I bet you the same reaction we got from E3 with FFXV and KH3 will have some barring on sales. Especially within Japan too. I dunno... I could be wrong but this is just my gut feeling.

tengiants

Still waiting here for the return of strangereal Ace Combat. How the world that they don't see we love those kinds of games is beyond me. It didn't feel Japanese it felt cool in the pure video game fun.

Agreed with that series. So good and crazy. I'm glad Souls games are getting recognition because they could have easily been in the same bucket.

Buzzati

Banned
"It's not you, it's me." That's the message the Japanese gaming industry is telling the world this week at TGS. "Our games are as good as ever, they're just not for you anymore."

Good. Keep the stale developers away. It leaves room for those Japanese devs that are confident enough in their products that they believe they can recapture the US' imagination again. People are people and good games are universally loved. It's not like one country wants to play good games and another country doesn't want to play good games.

I play a ton of games, and while Japanese games may not have the cache they once did, if I were to make a list of my top 10 games of the past five years, it'd be heavily loaded with Eastern titles.

All three of the Souls games, Bayonetta, Final Fantasy 12....

And on my 'all time' list, man, tons of Japanese games.

Rocky

Banned
At least do cheap localizations. Translate it to English in text form only (keep the Japanese dub) and release it digitally. Seriously, release it here but keep reasonable expectations.

And miss out on having great VAs like Laura Bailey and Melissa Fahn? No thanks.

Authority

Banned
Not sure if this information is relevant to the ongoing conversation but here are the Nintendo dominated Japanese game sales in the past 12 months

Here’s the full list of the best selling Japanese games from April 2013 to April 2014, according to Japanese sales tracker Media Create and Famitsu:

Pokemon X and Pokemon Y (3DS) — 4.33 million copies
Monster Hunter 4 (3DS) — 3.43 million copies
Tomodachi Collection (3DS) — 1.64 million copies
Puzzle and Dragons Z (3DS) — 1.36 million copies
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) — 774,152 copies
Dragon Quest Monsters 2 (3DS) — 710,303 copies
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) — 699,182 copies
Wii Party U (Wii U) — 697,042 copies
Yokai Watch (3DS) — 652,803 copies
New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U) — 622,502 copies

Wanted to ask one question. Is there a list of all Japanese games that have been released in the West? Trying to google that info but no luck so far.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As others have noted, I think a lot of the problem stems from the fact that Japanese games have either tried to hard to focus on the West (and failing) or have gone too far in the other direction. I think people would prefer Japanese companies to focus on making games the way they once did rather than trying so hard to appeal to Western tastes.

That was compounded by the fact that the modern methods for creating a game don't really jive with the way Japanese companies seemingly used to work (ie - building new technology for every game while throwing out previous efforts). You just can't afford to do that anymore.

If a company couldn't adapt they seemingly stuck with low-end hardware like Nintendo DS instead.

There's also the smart phone issue.

Game consoles just don't seem as popular in Japan at this point and, when coupled with the difficulty of making games for said platforms, it's hard for those big companies to justify spending the money anymore. There's probably a whole lot more happening on top of that.

In the end, the types of games Japanese studios were making from the 8-bit to the PS2 era are still types of games many Western gamers would love to play.

~ Shuhei Yoshida
It's quite impressive how good a grasp Yoshida seems to have on the things so few Japanese developers failed to understand.

nynt9

Japanese games have always been heavily influenced by Japanese culture. During the 90s and early 00s there was a period where anime was a fad and was popular in the west so Japanese games were appealing to westerners. Now that fad is over and most western audiences don't seem too interested in Japanese culture anymore. It's as simple as that. Also the Japanese video game industry isn't as Hollywood as western games, their budgets and target audiences aren't as big so they can't compete easily on visuals, which westerners seem to care a lot about.

Snakeyes

Also, I should add that I don't agree with this quote. I bet you the same reaction we got from E3 with FFXV and KH3 will have some barring on sales. Especially within Japan too. I dunno... I could be wrong but this is just my gut feeling.

Console FF has been on a steady decline since the PS2 days. I wouldn't be surprised if XV struggled to break 1.5 M lifetime sales in Japan. Kingdom Hearts was never as big as FF and could do even worse.

I think people tend to take for granted the difficulties of localizing games. Obvious issues like the amount of text and voice acting make games like DQX too costly to localize for its potential performance in the west. A lesser known issue is that games that are localized have to be programmed with multiple translations in mind and this is a process that takes more effort on the developer's part. Publishers are obviously not going to force their developers to go through that extra effort if they don't see any sales potential in a translated product, and by extension the games they don't plan on releasing outside of Japan cannot be translated without dismantling the code or having to find clever ways to work around it.

After having been repeatedly burned by western AAA games in the past couple of years I can see how a certain Japanese proverb is being perpetuated.

Asbear

Banned
In a nutshell my impression was always this:
Japan has always been big on anime and gaming became a big thing to have that as well, so when western devs started moving more and more away from their cartoony mascots and human characters looked more and more real, for example via mocap and face capture, japanese-style human characters got more and more anime. The hollywoodness of US-made games also alienated japanese developers and meanwhile the japanese devs also got more and more stuck in their anime-bubbles.

Something like that. I still like japanese games, but I do think a lot of japanese franchises has been losing their charm since graphics started looking slicker. Personally I prefer anime artstyles to stay 2D and I no longer like it when Japanese devs make 3D human-like characters trapped in an anime-esque artstyle like the Tekkens and Metal Gear Solid 4 for instance.

Shame, because I remember a lot of good PS2 games that I wouldn't have liked if they had the same artstyle but in a modern graphical look.

Lernaean

Banned
Well, the way i see it, having been a gamer since mid 80's when most games were japanese anyway, i think japanese games haven't changed at all.

It's the western games, that were almost non existent in the 80's, made an impact in the 90's and evolved in the 00's into what we call now a western game, that created a generation of gamers that never cared about japanese games or anyway cared for only those that were closer to western culture and that now can't understand and ultimately love japanese games.

I won't go into the 'lol greybrown bro shooters' argument, even though i personally only liked a handful of western games last gen and one could say i don't like western games in general, i can't just say it's about good or bad games but about the games one have been accustomed to. I always played japanese games and i still do and i can argue that last year was actually a great year for japanese games, for me they are far from irrelevant.
It is true that the west doesn't care about them in general, but that's not because japanese games have changed so much, but because the western audience, especially the younger one doesn't care for them at all.

Except ofc if we are talking about FF in which case i have no idea whom they are for tbh.
It's amazing how much praise SE got when they made 1 old school JRPG (that would be BD) and that they still don't get it.

~200 western studios closed vs ~a dozen japanese studios closed since 2006 is why

This is a bit of an odd comparison because "western" really encompasses everything globally outside of Japan that isn't an Asian studio. For example, Australian studios are considered western, even though they technically share part of the same time zone as Japan and are actually further east on the world map.

When these types of comparisons are made, it's always every other country with a game studio in it (west) vs Japan.

RalchAC

Ni no Kuni was marketed as "Ghibli's game" and they have some kind of notoriety in the West. There is people that won't touch any anime with a ten foot pole yet they salivate over everything that has to do with those guys.

For them to succeed they need to be good and things need to be done properly. You need to localize your game in Multi-5, you need to market it at least on the Internet (youtube, social media, gaming press) and you need a mid / long term strategy.

Tales of is an example on how you shouldn't manage your IP (pre-Xillia I mean). They seem to have improved in the past few months, with their Xillia, Symphonia HD and Xillia 2 strategies (well done trailers, Baba going to conferences, localization efforts...) and I hope they get a good chunk of money for their good job.

Word of mouth is really important too. Persona 4 Golden wouldn't be above 800k sales if it wasn't due to all the praise it's getting from Vita owners.

Top Bottom