• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why LA's Restaurants May Be Better Than Those In New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombadil

Banned
Then by all means, lay some suggested pizza places on me, but let's not do the stupid internet "If you don't put 'IMO' after everything you say I automatically assume you're trying to dictate Truth to every human being on the planet" routine, shall we?

Why do I even have to list anything?

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/08/pizza_los_angeles_best_sotto_mozza_olio.php

http://blog.zagat.com/2012/03/10-pizza-hot-spots-in-la.html

http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/5/446/LA/Pizza-Places

How many good pizza places do there need to be in LA for you to acknowledge that finding good pizza in LA is not difficult?

jasonng

Really? Nobody?

I saw it and I wanted to correct it but I figured it was too late.

NYC does need a better mexican cuisine scene. I'm pretty content with what we have but I can only imagine what I'm really missing out compared to other places.

Bombadil

Banned
It's close, but I would choose Sammy's Halal over Zankou Chicken.

Oh, that's right.

New York doesn't have Zankou Chicken, does it?

Let's see what a butthurt New Yorker has to say:

I'm not from LA, I'm from NYC and just passing through your fine city for the holiday. Now you may wish to check your local alley way for stray cat because I'm thinking that if cooked it in your easy bake oven that your kids have in the attic, it may in fact be a tastier go to then the chicken here.

If you've ever asked how you can screw a poor chicken up and serve it to my fellow Hispanics, bingo!! Seriously!

The hummus was pedestrian at best meaning, it's a flavored paste with a 1/4 cup of paprika sprinkled on top. Do they taste their food?

They get a single star only for the pita, beyond that.... KFC has a leg or two up on their chicken.

Sorry not trying to start a East Coast vs West Coast battle but I've had better fare from a halal cart in the bowels of Manhattan.

Keep driven down the road and hit el pollo loco. Sad but true!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/zankou-chicken-los-angeles#hrid:ClAg2541UDoC-cYQIVLuBQ

The tears only enhance our victory.

Talon

Was it above Rodeo Drive? Because if so, that would be the one.

And for those talking about Korean food, L.A. has the most Koreans out of any city not in Korea, so it would make sense for us to have the food to match. As an example of Korea's dominance in L.A., Wilshire Grand, the soon to be tallest building in the city, is being built by a Korean real estate company.
As a Korean...Korean food doesn't really vary whether you're in New York, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, even Atlanta. It's not a particularly expansive brand of cuisine. You've got your basic stews, a couple meat specialties (half of it's unseasoned, the other half is and, really, galbi's quality is almost wholly reliant on the cooking method), and then the casual-younger fair like omelet rice, korean-friend chicken, etc.

Obviously China has everyone in the region beat when it comes to variety of flavors, but Korea is dead last in terms of flavor compared to Thailand, Vietnam and Japan. We pretty much have four seasonings that we use in 90% of our meals: soy, garlic, red pepper and fermented bean curd.

Hell, our noodles pretty much are dreadful other than the cold noodles (naengmyun). The noodles we use are gummy and don't have the tautness of good quality ramen or rice noodles.

You can find decent soon tofu in pretty much any urban center with a korean population in this country. You can't find really good Pho outside of New York, DC, LA, Chicago...and OKC. I don't know why, but there are a lot of vietnamese people in OKC.
In what aspect? Food in general or Vietnamese food? What is CPK, California Pizza Kitchen, and what are those review referring to?
Vietnamese food in Atlanta is not very good. There's the Pho place on Buford Hwy that's been there since I was a little kid but, outside of that place, these dime-a-dozen Saigon chains are not good at all.

The palates of locals in Atlanta are nowhere near as adventurous or experienced as the other four major food cities. Again, I grew up there, and I travel there frequently. The CPK reference is a quote from a Yelp review about a local pizza place.

Avixph

good Mexican food is really really important, and it is lacking in the North East.

Anyplace with great Mexican food ranks up in restaurant importance IMO

And NYC has plenty Mexicans, doesn't change the mexican food situation.

I saw it and I wanted to correct it but I figured it was too late.

NYC does need a better mexican cuisine scene. I'm pretty content with what we have but I can only imagine what I'm really missing out compared to other places.

Mexican cuisine is not the end all be all of Hispanic Cuisine, so how about trying the other types of Hispanic cuisine.

Bombadil

Banned
Mexican cuisine is not the end all be all of Hispanic Cuisine, so how about trying the other types of Hispanic cuisine.

This reminds me of the story about the fox who could not reach the bird sitting on the highest branch of the tree. He said, "Eh, it probably doesn't taste good, anyway."

LA dominates most types of cuisine in the low to mid tier. It's all about casual/trendy eateries, not to mention the prevalence of food trucks with any kind of food you'd want. And even in some higher tiers (like sushi) LA is very competitive.

Additionally the fusion stuff in LA is so far ahead of the rest of the country it's not even funny.

NoRéN;66092826 said:
Damn, some people getting all angry over this shit. Kinda pathetic.

Yeah. People need to justify their high living expense. LA is just as diverse, if not more-so than NY and SF, but the layout of the city is horrible and is not conducive to tourists. Check out all the times Bourdain has been here and he practically says the same.

I don't know why people seem to be so biased against cities, traveling is fun and you really can't know a place from one or two visits, especially in a non-centralized, scrawling metropolis like LA.

Jesus, Devo, what crawled up your ass lately? You used to seem to be a lot more level-headed.

numble

Vietnamese food in Atlanta is not very good. There's the Pho place on Buford Hwy that's been there since I was a little kid but, outside of that place, these dime-a-dozen Saigon chains are not good at all.

The palates of locals in Atlanta are nowhere near as adventurous or experienced as the other four major food cities. Again, I grew up there, and I travel there frequently. The CPK reference is a quote from a Yelp review about a local pizza place.

They are doing some crazy good Korean fusion stuff in LA. Korean-Mexican fusion, especially.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Uh, I was replying to someone making a point that having a community of people =/= having a great representation of their food, authentic or otherwise.

Another one for Based LA.

First, the chinese food master saying LA has the best chinese food and now this guy. Other cities need to step it up.

Dartastic

Just to chime in on this Portland tiff that's going down in here...

I do find it funny that one of the New York restaurants cited in this piece is originally a Portland based restaurant that expanded to NY. Pok Pok rules.

LA can fuck itself. There's better shit in the Bay Area and Portland both in terms of quality and price.
I'd agree with this. The food scene in this city is unreal. The one area I really think we're lacking is Chinese, however. I really haven't found a great chinese place in Portland.

After sampling the top end, mid high and fast food in both SF, LA and NYC, New York is simply the best high end, followed by SF. Mexican is absolutely garbage here in NYC, same with Thai and it seems the author of the article focuses on these two cuisines where LA obviously shines. The author is also not one to travel into the NYC boroughs where the best cheap but excellent food is found and makes a ridiculous statement that a $2.25 train fare or $20 cab ride is too cumbersome to go seek out good food.

Anyway at this point there is amazing tasting food pretty much anywhere where fresh ingredients are available thats why these discussions are pretty worthless.

Tiers

1. NY/SF
2. Chicago, New Orleans
3. LA

friday

Ah, well that should tell you the quality of NYC viet then. I guess it sorta makes since thought, outside of a few areas you don't see many Vietnamese people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom