• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Pinball Is Better Than Video Games

Reven

Pinball is awesome. The pinball hall of fame in Las Vegas is a must see place, me and my family go to it every time we are there now.

stuminus3

Better than video games? I can dig this. Walking into a late 80s/early 90s arcade lined with pinball machines was an unparalleled experience. Pure gameplay.

Pinball Arcade is by far my favourite iPad app but it's just not the same.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
There's also a Pinball Arcade community OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462373

It was originally about the video game collection, but morphed into a general pinball one too.

Yep, my path into the hobby was mostly The Pinball Arcade (or the one before it, the one on 360)>GAF thread and now I own two machines. :) The one thing I haven't gotten into is competitive. Honestly just enjoy firing up some games with the kids and friends and not worrying too much about skillful play (actually more of a story player than someone shooting for high score -- which Ghostbusters in particular is pretty great for given the fixed and challenging progression; Metallica is more of a score-chaser but the whole package is so great and a good contrast to GB).

HotHamBoy

Yeah, that's very frusterating. Fortunately most newer ones have a freebie period where if you lose the ball right away it'll give you another one for free. I do hate how some places charge over $.50 for a game. It really stings to lose a game quickly on those. They would probably make far more money if they dropped the price.

Well, you have to understand that these games are extremely costly and very expensive to maintain. You're constantly shopping them and buying replacement parts. Higher coin-drop is more common on rare and newer tables because you have to revoup the investment, which is on-going.

If 10 people pay .50 cents x 2 you've made ten dollars for 20 plays.
If 10 people pay $1.00 x 1 you've made ten dollars for 10 plays.

That's half the wear and tear which is going to save you a lot in maintenance and increase the lifespan of the game.

Often, a machine will have a price break like so:

1 credit for .75 cents or 3 credits for $2.00

The place I go to has .75 cent games set to give 4 credits for $2 and $1 newer games set to give 4/$3.

Getting good at pinball requires spending more up-front. Once you reach a certain skill level you will be spending much less since your games will have longer ball times and more extra balls and you'll earn more replays for free credits.

Blu10

If only that was the only barrier... I could convince myself to be incredibly irresponsible.

There's still the issues of maintenance, floor space, moving it, etc

It's not all that bad. The space can definitely be an issue depending on your living arrangements, but in my experience the maintenance hasn't been bad at all. I generally clean my table once a quarter (20 minutes), wax it three times a year (40 minutes), change the batteries once a year (2 minutes), and have only had to clean the optos once (45 minutes).

In the 10 years my parents have owned their table, from a maintenance standpoint, the only thing I had to help with was to rebuild the flippers (2 hours).

Not too bad all told.

HotHamBoy

It's not all that bad. The space can definitely be an issue depending on your living arrangements, but in my experience the maintenance hasn't been bad at all. I generally clean my table once a quarter (20 minutes), wax it three times a year (40 minutes), change the batteries once a year (2 minutes), and have only had to clean the optos once (45 minutes).

In the 10 years my parents have owned their table, from a maintenance standpoint, the only thing I had to help with was to rebuild the flippers (2 hours).

Not too bad all told.

What game do you have?

I imagine certain tables are more fussy than others. Do you ever notice the flippers getting progressively weaker? Have you ever needed to replace parts?

The other day I'm playing this Star Trek TNG and the ball hit something that cause this piece of metal to come off and go sliding down the playfield.

Toad.T

Banned
There was an expo over here in Calgary that existed for one or two years then just dropped off the map. Pincade was the name (So as you can tell, it wasn't entirely Pinball focused).

Shit really, I loved going there when they popped up.

I truly LOVE pinball. Comparing pinball with arcade games is no contest for me. Pinball rules! (Although there are plenty of vintage arcade games that I love as well.)

Really getting to know a table and its intricacies and rules, and then becoming better and better with time is such a rewarding and addictive curve. It's so elegant and simple (keep the ball up), yet so complex (in all its wonderful variations and themes).

Blu10

What game do you have?

I imagine certain tables are more fussy than others. Do you ever notice the flippers getting progressively weaker? Have you ever needed to replace parts?

The other day I'm playing this Star Trek TNG and the ball hit something that cause this piece of metal to come off and go sliding down the playfield.

I have a World Cup Soccer 94, and my parents have a No Fear.

My flippers have been fine for a few years now (no power loss), and it like I said, I did rebuild them on my parents table last year. That is certainly not something that is needed every year.

HotHamBoy

My flippers have been fine for a few years now (no power loss), and it like I said, I did rebuild them on my parents table last year. That is certainly not something that is needed every year.

You lucky bastard... Those games are awesome.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Looove no fear. The scores you can get going on that machine are pretty insane, and the jump is one of the coolest features in all of pinball imo.

nofearpinball(7)_1074_detail.jpg

Shaneus

No pop bumpers either, so the game is pure speed, never really has a chance to get stuck in any one area for X amount of time.

Was going to buy one until I came across my RBION.

Mega

Banned
Finally visited Modern Pinball in NYC. There are about 30 pinball machines in this place, all set to free play (you pay for admission by the hour, very reasonable too). The machines are well kept and I had a great time. I think I'll be coming here on a regular basis!

Steejee

<3 Pinball

Local bowling alley might be shutting down in the next year and they have a few pretty well maintained machines, so I'm sorely tempted to pick one up.

Used to trek to the Metreon in San Francisco when I lived there quite often for the pinball machines they had. Never a line and many a quarter spent.

Allforce

Have always loved pinball since I was a kid, Addams Family, Terminator 2, bunch of others were always around.

My father in law won a vintage pinball machine fom like 1977 from a radio contest a few years ago, it wasn't as fancy as the newer ones from the late 80s but it was a solid play and retailed for around 1500 bucks still since it was a collectors item. Valkyrie or some other female warrior type theme I believe it was.

They moved a few years ago and offered the table to me and my wife, who were pumped for it, but then her older brother also expressed interest so my father in law flipped a coin for who got it and my brother in law won.

Chaps my ass because the last time I was at his house that machine was just sitting on the floor in the basement, legs removed, covered in random crap his kids piled on it. Never even been set up apparently.

HotHamBoy

Have always loved pinball since I was a kid, Addams Family, Terminator 2, bunch of others were always around.

My father in law won a vintage pinball machine fom like 1977 from a radio contest a few years ago, it wasn't as fancy as the newer ones from the late 80s but it was a solid play and retailed for around 1500 bucks still since it was a collectors item. Valkyrie or some other female warrior type theme I believe it was.

They moved a few years ago and offered the table to me and my wife, who were pumped for it, but then her older brother also expressed interest so my father in law flipped a coin for who got it and my brother in law won.

Chaps my ass because the last time I was at his house that machine was just sitting on the floor in the basement, legs removed, covered in random crap his kids piled on it. Never even been set up apparently.

That's tragic as hell.

One of the bad things about Pinball is the inability to control what happens to games you like to play.

The place I frequent just sold Terminator 2, Demolition Man and South Park in a single transaction. T2 was a favorite.

Sneak Peak at the upcoming Batman '66 table art:

And on the Marvel side...

Women of Power announced for Zen Pinball/Pinball FX2. Out next week on all available platforms!

HotHamBoy

Bumping to say that Pinball is still better than video games. Updated the OP.

Coming soon:

Star Wars (original trilogy) - Stern

star-wars-pinball-stern.jpg

star-wars-pinball-playfield-stern.jpg

Houdini - American Pinball

C7uiXJPXkAAXSls.jpg-large.jpg

C7xScMUVMAACUm5.jpg-large.jpg

The Jetsons - The Pinball Company

Jetsons88.jpg

Jetsons67.jpg

Total Nuclear Annhilation

18491530_1433710856690137_8415466169065010846_o.jpg

(Backlgass Art for finished game)

IMG_2928.JPG

(WIP whiteboard, game is set to ship next year)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle - Spooky Pinball

CooperPinball.jpg

And Elvira 3 with the original design team and Elvira herself!

Shipping Now:

Ghostbusters - Stern #RIPDMD

ghostbusters_pinball_machine_by_stern_pinball_1.jpg

Batman '66 - Stern

tumblr_of8yv4W0Yy1solxeko1_1280.jpg

Aerosmith - Stern

Aerosmith-Pro-Cabinet-FF.jpg

Alien - Heighway

Dialed In - Jersey Jack

DICE-right.png

The Big Lebowski - Dutch Pinball

TBL-full-pf-bb-s.jpg

Attack From Mars REMAKE - Chicago Gaming

Attack-from-Mars-Remake.jpg

Some (slightly) older tables still in production include: Metallica, The Hobbit, The Wizard of Oz, Game of Thrones, Woah Nellie!, Spider-Man Vault Ed, Iron Man Vault Ed, Star Trek, The Walking Dead and more!

StoneFox

Always been a big pinball fan. If I had the money I would own a personal machine or two since they are infinite entertainment.

My friends always rolled my eyes when I would beeline to the pinball machines in arcades. Screw them, pinball is the main attraction!

I'm actually going to a few arcades this Wednesday, so I hope to find a few good machines :)

HotHamBoy

Always been a big pinball fan. If I had the money I would own a personal machine or two since they are infinite entertainment.

My friends always rolled my eyes when I would beeline to the pinball machines in arcades. Screw them, pinball is the main attraction!

I'm actually going to a few arcades this Wednesday, so I hope to find a few good machines :)

What city?

Some people just don't understand. These days you can play all those arcade games at home. Hell, you can play much better video games at home. Don't get me wrong, I love the social aspect of the arcade, but Pinball is something you can only play on location. If I'm going to an arcade it's going to be to play pinball, save for maybe a few rounds on whatever fighting games they have.

Most people who don't like pinball just aren't good at it and don't understand why or how to get better. Sadly, bad luck is usually blamed. It's a game of skill and the curve is steep.

StoneFox

What city?
Phoenix area.

Likely going to start at Golfland for nostalgia's sake and then either go to The Grid or The Gaming Zone (not sure if they have pinball?). It's mainly just a bonding day with my brother so it should be fun regardless of where we end up going and what the arcades actually have to offer.

Shaneus

Is Allen actually considered released/shipping HHB? Andrew Heighway left amid speculation of poor financial management.

Same kinda goes with Lebowski... what the fuck is going on with some of these companies?!?

StoneFox

Went to The Grid today and they had some cool machines like Game of Thrones, Ghostbusters, Street Fighter II and Lord of the Rings. They have a Pinball Tourney but I didn't go at the right time to join in. :p

Javaman

Played walking dead for the first time and drained all three balls in less than a minute. I figured there'd be a ball save for quick drains. At over a dollar a game there's no way I'm going to put any more money in it. Good job operator.

Korgill

Does anyone know of any games like Apollo 13 with ridiculous multi-ball features? For those that don't know, Apollo 13 has a 13 ball multi-ball that is just crazy when activated.

Last time I took my son to the local arcade a Batman pinny machine (same as the one pictured below) was so bloody easy to get free credits on that we played for 20-25 minutes on one credit. Triple and Quad balls were super easy to achieve as well. Insanity.

Batman%20Dark%20Knight%2001.jpg

Dlacy13g

Sorry OP, you are wrong. Pinball is good but it aint all that. Pinball has its place...and that is mostly in the past.

HotHamBoy

Played walking dead for the first time and drained all three balls in less than a minute. I figured there'd be a ball save for quick drains. At over a dollar a game there's no way I'm going to put any more money in it. Good job operator.

It's definitely on them and how they have it set, though TWD is a pretty tough game to learn.

Pinball is a game where the better you are, the less you spend. You just have to be willing to invest more early on.

Sorry OP, you are wrong. Pinball is good but it aint all that. Pinball has its place...and that is mostly in the past.

But it doesn't have to be and we are seeing a resurgence. People are starting to rediscover physical, kinetic objects.

Is Allen actually considered released/shipping HHB? Andrew Heighway left amid speculation of poor financial management.

Same kinda goes with Lebowski... what the fuck is going on with some of these companies?!?

Alien and Lebowski are shipping, slowly. We've had a Lebowski on-location in Indiana since last November. It took them minths to ship a replacement board after it fried, but it has been good ever since.

I've seen reports of Alien going on-location in the midwest so I know it's getting out there.

chemicals

OP, I share your love for pinball.... but why try to compare apples to oranges? "pinball" and "video games" are two completely separate things. That is like me saying "my recliner is more comfortable than my dish-washing machine".

HotHamBoy

OP, I share your love for pinball.... but why try to compare apples to oranges? "pinball" and "video games" are two completely separate things. That is like me saying "my recliner is more comfortable than my dish-washing machine".

It's a joke.

Although your comparison isn't really apt. It's more like comparing real life sports to video game sports. Pinball and early video game share a lot of similar concepts and language. At the end of the day, you're using limited mechanics to complete objectives and go for a high score.

Futaleufu

I'm glad pinball is making a resurgence. Virtual Pinball has its place and I play a couple of times in a month but the real thing is irreplaceable. The way you can control the ball by bumping and nudging the machine cant be achieved by playing a simulation with a controller. I used to be very good at tables like The twilight Zone, White Water and Fish Tales.

Triz

I played a prototype "Houdini" in May at a pinball show in Dixon CA, really liked it. But If I had the money Id pick up a Dialed In. I played about 5 games on it and loved every single one. By Far JJP's best table so far.

Would love to try out The Big Lebowski.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I prefer Pinball Arcade. I can play it whenever and wherever I want.

I have such a hard time going back to TPA now that I play on real tables. Doesn't help that the developer is awful. Just feels like a really creaky old game to me at this point. But I'm glad it's still out there for people who don't have access and I'm sure it's still doing work getting people into/back into the hobby (like it partly did for me back in its xbox 360 iteration).

HotHamBoy

I have such a hard time going back to TPA now that I play on real tables. Doesn't help that the developer is awful. Just feels like a really creaky old game to me at this point. But I'm glad it's still out there for people who don't have access and I'm sure it's still doing work getting people into/back into the hobby (like it partly did for me back in its xbox 360 iteration).

I appreciate that TPA exists but it feels like it is held together with Scotch tape and Elmer's glue. It's definitely not a substitute for the real thing, though I think it's great for learning table rules.

Javaman

It's definitely on them and how they have it set, though TWD is a pretty tough game to learn.
Pinball is a game where the better you are, the less you spend. You just have to be willing to invest more early on.

The problem is that people aren't going to blow tons of money on a game that they feel ripped off on. I definitely think machines should be set up to be much more generous with the early drain freebie. It won't effect good players at all who keep it live anyways, and would go a long way to keeping new players coming back. Few people will want to drop another dollar in the machine after feeling ripped off. Give people 30 secs of ball save (one time for each ball) and they'll be much more likely to keep dropping money in.

A local Simpsons Pinball party had little or no ball save, with no high score free game setup so I'm done with that one after only a couple of dollars too.

I'm an average player who can get a save here and there and had a blast on LOTR where I could win a free game every 2 or 3 rounds. I dropped a lot more money into that one.

Shaneus

I appreciate that TPA exists but it feels like it is held together with Scotch tape and Elmer's glue. It's definitely not a substitute for the real thing, though I think it's great for learning table rules.
TPA is fucking woeful. If anyone ever thinks it's good, remind them it's the same company that released Action 52 on Genesis.

Pinball fans really do deserve better :/

trixx

Pinball is the shit. Want a cabinet in my house in the future but I know you gotta pay out the ass for one of em

Top Bottom