• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were the Toonami promo's so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't watch Toonami as much as my friends did in Elementary School, but it was usually on TV when we all did homework together. The promos could get us to drop whatever we were doing because they were so awesome. The clips Alucrid posted are a great example of the positive impact Toonami had on my childhood.

Miguzi slipped my mind until this thread came along, but Code Lyoko totally justified that block for me. It was pretty cool. : P

(Game Reviews)

I remember all of these! Nostalgia overload!

Yeah! Oh man, I loved watching those quick game reviews. Tom's voice made everything sound cool.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Toonami wouldn't be able to come back now that DBZ is on Nick, arguable it's biggest show. No matter what else was on Toonami, it always had DBZ, even if it was reruns.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Is it exclusive to Nick though?

If it wasn't at first, it is now. Like someone else said, it's huge for them. They won't let it go.

I don't even know if I'd like a Toonami revival, Adult Swim is stupid as shit now. The bumps and shows they put up there now are pure garbage. It's not late-night-Toonami anymore, it's bullshit live action low budget garbage and ATHF sucks now. They don't even show anime anymore.

If those are the same guys that were in charge of Toonami back in the day, I'll eat my own foot.

A Month of Miyazaki. Come the fuck on. They wouldn't show anything quality on CN anymore.

Izick

If it wasn't at first, it is now. Like someone else said, it's huge for them. They won't let it go.

I don't even know if I'd like a Toonami revival, Adult Swim is stupid as shit now. The bumps and shows they put up there now are pure garbage. It's not late-night-Toonami anymore, it's bullshit live action low budget garbage and ATHF sucks now. They don't even show anime anymore.

If those are the same guys that were in charge of Toonami back in the day, I'll eat my own foot.

A Month of Miyazaki. Come the fuck on. They wouldn't show anything quality on CN anymore.

I don't know, I think all they need is to say "alright, ratings aren't as great as they used to be, so let's get a big push and bring Toonami back."

It'd be tough without DBZ, but I'm sure that they can fill it up with something. Don't people like that One Piece show? How about that?

I wish I knew more about current Anime/Cartoons to comment more in depth, but sadly I do not.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I don't know, I think all they need is to say "alright, ratings aren't as great as they used to be, so let's get a big push and bring Toonami back."

It'd be tough without DBZ, but I'm sure that they can fill it up with something. Don't people like that One Piece show? How about that?

I wish I knew more about current Anime/Cartoons to comment more in depth, but sadly I do not.

There's a difference between garbage and Dragonball Z though.

This reminds of how much I miss Samurai Jack, need to get the complete collection from somewhere. My favourite episode amongst quite a few has to be the one where the bounty hunters are in the cabin planning their attack, so awesome. And I always thought Jack would team up with that princess somewhere down the line too.

Izick

This reminds of how much I miss Samurai Jack, need to get the complete collection from somewhere. My favourite episode amongst quite a few has to be the one where the bounty hunters are in the cabin planning their attack, so awesome. And I always thought Jack would team up with that princess somewhere down the line too.

Did that series end? Did he end up fighting Akoo?

DJ88

Another thing is that before Toonami, the only kind of cartoons I had seen were just the regular, silly, colorful cartoons made just for kids. When I first saw Toonami it was my first time seeing anime ever. All of a sudden I'm watching explosions, dark serious stories, insanely detailed drawings, and it just blew my little 10 year old mind. At the time I had no idea where these crazy shows came from. So it really did feel like this unknown ship in space, with an awesome robot at the helm, was transmitting us these shows that, cause they were so different from anything I had seen before, felt like they weren't from this planet. It all had this huge sense of mystery behind it, and I fucking loved it. Of course I never really thought the ship and Tom were real, but it was just awesome to believe they were out there somewhere sending us these stunning cartoons.

Izick

Another thing is that before Toonami, the only kind of cartoons I had seen were just the regular, silly, colorful cartoons made just for kids. When I first saw Toonami it was my first time seing anime ever. All of a sudden I'm watching explosions, dark serious stories, insanely detailed drawings, it just blew my little 10 year old mind. At the time I had no idea where these crazy shows came from. So it really did feel like this unknown ship in space, with an awesome robot at the helm, was transmitting us these shows that, cause they were so different from anything I had seen before, felt like they weren't from this planet. It all had this huge sense of mystery behind it, and I fucking loved it. Of course I never really thought the ship and Tom were real but it was just awesome to believe they were out there somewhere sending us these stunning cartoons.

Same here.

It's kind of crazy going from the Flintstones to DBZ.

Preble

There's actually still alot of Toonami promos and intros that haven't made it on the internet yet. I have a couple Naruto/Fantastic Four promos I'd love to put on Youtube from 2007 but I don't know much about converting VHS recordings to DVDs.

Izick

It did end, but I've still never seen the ending. I believe they took it off air before it ended in US, but it finished airing in Australia.

Aw that's a bummer.

I remember there was a bunch of times that he'd be so close to fighting Akoo, then something would happen out of nowhere and he was back to square one.

Takao

Banned

Kai's not exclusive to Nicktoons. Though I doubt CN would want to become the third network to air that failed attempt.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kai's not exclusive to Nicktoons. Though I doubt CN would want to become the third network to air that failed attempt.

"Failed attempt."
XTEez.gif

Kai was a massive success for Nicktoons and the best thing to happen to American Dragon Ball since Toonami's run of Z. (Anyone remember when they started airing DBZ Uncut? No? Don't blame you, it lasted like 15 episodes.)

Izick

"Failed attempt."
XTEez.gif

Kai was a massive success for Nicktoons and the best thing to happen to American Dragon Ball since Toonami's run of Z. (Anyone remember when they started airing DBZ Uncut? No? Don't blame you, it lasted like 15 episodes.)

When was that, and what was the premise exactly? Was it just DBZ like it was intended? (Blood, etc.?)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
When was that, and what was the premise exactly? Was it just DBZ like it was intended? (Blood, etc.?)

Yup, was exaclty what it sounded like. I think it was redubbed too. I don't know if CN stopped airing it or Funimation stopped producing it first, but it was summer 2005 when it was airing. I don't think it even got to Vegeta and Nappa. Definitely didn't get through them. It was CN's attempt at a "DBZ comeback" and it pretty much fell as flat as it could, which was a shame.

Izick

Yup, was exaclty what it sounded like. I think it was redubbed too. I don't know if CN stopped airing it or Funimation stopped producing it first, but it was summer 2005 when it was airing. I don't think it even got to Vegeta and Nappa. Definitely didn't get through them. It was CN's attempt at a "DBZ comeback" and it pretty much fell as flat as it could, which was a shame.

Well, that's CN's fault rather then DBZ's.

I'm guessing that it was too soon to relaunch DBZ, and it wasn't different enough from the previous iterations to get new fans.

Not sure how the new dun turned out on Kai, but I think in the year 2012, with HD, DBZ could return in full force on CN.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well, that's CN's fault rather then DBZ's.

I'm guessing that it was too soon to relaunch DBZ, and it wasn't different enough from the previous iterations to get new fans.

That was almost definitely it. It was a bit too soon (GT had just ended two years earlier), and it wasn't really that different.

Kai on the other hand was seven years after GT, and felt like an entirely new show. Beautiful new openings and endings. New score, orchestral score. More faithful translation. Better dub. Faster pace. HD.

Not sure how the new dun turned out on Kai, but I think in the year 2012, with HD, DBZ could return in full force on CN.

That would be an option except:

1. I think Nicktoons has a death grip on Dragon Ball now. They don't care about local stuff like CW4Kids but they'd probably fight tooth and nail to prevent it from going to CN.

2. CN is probably uninterested in it anyways. The whole reason Toonami died in the first place is CN doesn't like shows that they can't sell the merchandise for. All the action figure sales go right to Funimation.

3. The DBZ Blu-ray sets, which are pretty much what you're talking about, are being discontinued after three sets. So CN would be forced to only air Kai if they wanted HD, and that would be (as mentioned) sloppy thirds. Very few people would tune in.

CN's greed when it came to licensed merchandise has really come to bite them in the ass. If you're curious, I made a guide you can use for all the different American releases of DBZ.

Ultratech

It did end, but I've still never seen the ending. I believe they took it off air before it ended in US, but it finished airing in Australia.

Yeah, it ended, but not with a true ending unfortunately. :(

But according to the show in several spots, he does eventually beat Aku. However, it apparently takes a long time before he's able to do so.

Heh, I remember this. They really didn't get that far into it before pulling it.
Edit: Oh, I guess they managed to get to the Ginyu Force at least... Didn't think it got that far.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think JJ Abrams is still attached to a Samurai Jack movie but it's still in development hell.

One day!
LLShC.gif

Izick

That was almost definitely it. It was a bit too soon (GT had just ended two years earlier), and it wasn't really that different.

Kai on the other hand was seven years after GT, and felt like an entirely new show. Beautiful new openings and endings. New score, orchestral score. More faithful translation. Better dub. Faster pace. HD.

That would be an option except:

1. I think Nicktoons has a death grip on Dragon Ball now. They don't care about local stuff like CW4Kids but they'd probably fight tooth and nail to prevent it from going to CN.

2. CN is probably uninterested in it anyways. The whole reason Toonami died in the first place is CN doesn't like shows that they can't sell the merchandise for. All the action figure sales go right to Funimation.

3. The DBZ Blu-ray sets, which are pretty much what you're talking about, are being discontinued after three sets. So CN would be forced to only air Kai if they wanted HD, and that would be (as mentioned) sloppy thirds. Very few people would tune in.

CN's greed when it came to licensed merchandise has really come to bite them in the ass. If you're curious, I made a guide you can use for all the different American releases of DBZ.

I'm sorry, when you say "discontinued," do you mean that they're going to end production before they get through the entire DBZ saga, or what?

(Oh and thank you for the guide, it was very helpful [: )

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm sorry, when you say "discontinued," do you mean that they're going to end production before they get through the entire DBZ saga, or what?

(Oh and thank you for the guide, it was very helpful [: )

Yes, well sort of. They say they're suspending the releases pending finding a "more inexpensive" method for restoring DBZ to HD. Which is a shame since the Blu-rays they did release arguably looked the best DBZ ever has, since it was all frame-by-frame using actual humans. But that's expensive of course and I guess sales didn't support it. They may still release more of the sets, but it's likely they'll be "computer restored" like the Orange Bricks (which a lot of die hards hated.)

Izick

Yes, well sort of. They say they're suspending the releases pending finding a "more inexpensive" method for restoring DBZ to HD. Which is a shame since the Blu-rays they did release arguably looked the best DBZ ever has, since it was all frame-by-frame using actual humans. But that's expensive of course and I guess sales didn't support it. They may still release more of the sets, but it's likely they'll be "computer restored" like the Orange Bricks (which a lot of die hards hated.)

Shit...

That sucks. How can they not restore DBZ fully into HD? It's one of the most influential and beloved animes of all time, or at least that's the impression I've always received.

The Blu-Ray's had to be selling pretty well...I can't believe that they didn't make them good money.

Takao

Banned
"Failed attempt."
XTEez.gif

Kai failed in Japan. Funimation failed Kai.

Kai is a failure.

As for the Uncut broadcast I'm no expert on it, but from what I know it was simply an airing of the Ultimate Uncut Special Editions. It was Funimation's redub of the first 67 episodes of Z, and the 3 movies so that they could ditch the Ocean dub once and for all. AFAIK Toonami did air most if not all of the UUSE dub.

There is an elephant in the room that I don't think anyone wants to address. It's in HD.

Shit...

That sucks. How can they not restore DBZ fully into HD? It's one of the most influential and beloved animes of all time, or at least that's the impression I've always received.

The Blu-Ray's had to be selling pretty well...I can't believe that they didn't make them good money.

There was just too many releases going on:

Dragon Ball Z Orange Bricks : 2007-2009 (DVD)
Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes : 2009-2011 (DVD)
Dragon Ball Z Kai : 2010-2012 (DVD/BR)
Dragon Ball Z Remastered (BR) : 2011

Too much overlap between the audiences who buys these releases to do this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kai failed in Japan. Funimation failed Kai.

Kai didn't fail in Japan. It got good viewership ratings, the only failure was the merchandise. The show that replaced it went on to bomb in the ratings IIRC.

Funimation failed Kai? Kai is one of their best and most faithful dubs ever, and in addition to that, they got it on two high profile networks in the US. An anime getting onto even one such a network these days is a startling rarity. The home releases are also faithfully flawless. I can't even imagine what you're talking about.

Kai is a failure.

XTEez.gif

As for the Uncut broadcast I'm no expert on it, but from what I know it was simply an airing of the Ultimate Uncut Special Editions. It was Funimation's redub of the first 67 episodes of Z, and the 3 movies so that they could ditch the Ocean dub once and for all. AFAIK Toonami did air most if not all of the UUSE dub.

I'm pretty sure they didn't, but my memory is hazy.

Izick

I know there's a lot of overlap and what not, but don't you think that there is a big market out there that want to own all of the proper DBZ episodes, in HD?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I know there's a lot of overlap and what not, but don't you think that there is a big market out there that want to own all of the proper DBZ episodes, in HD?

Yes. But Funi's going to have to wait a few years since Kai still has a set or two to release. Releasing the Blu-rays while also releasing Kai was a pretty boneheaded move.

Izick

Yes. But Funi's going to have to wait a few years since Kai still has a set or two to release. Releasing the Blu-rays while also releasing Kai was a pretty boneheaded move.

Yeah, that's dumb as hell.

I'm guessing that they thought any HD DBZ would sell, so why not? Pride before the fall and all that...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think they were counting on it selling to the die hards who preferred the Dragon Boxes over everything else (for filler, Buu, violence, etc.), as well as those who needed the original dub voices/music. And those people would also have to want an HD version, as they likely had already bought the Dragon Boxes and Orange Bricks, respectively. But that's a small fragment of the DBZ pie. Most people either A) thought Kai was good enough (or the exact same as the old series due to ignorance) or B) were kids who were new to the whole thing, so for them, Kai will now always be their preferred version.

Takao

Banned
Kai didn't fail in Japan. It got good viewership ratings, the only failure was the merchandise. The show that replaced it went on to bomb in the ratings IIRC.

Funimation failed Kai? Kai is one of their best and most faithful dubs ever, and in addition to that, they got it on two high profile networks in the US. An anime getting onto even one such a network these days is a startling rarity. The home releases are also faithfully flawless. I can't even imagine what you're talking about.

Kai was made to sell merch and provide a "manga-accurate" take on the Dragon Ball manga. It didn't sell merch, and as such it didn't fulfill its duty to be manga-accurate as it covered only 2/3rds of the Z portion of the manga, and ended on filler. Kai is a failure.

As for Funimation, Kai was made to sell toys. Are there any Dragon Ball toys on North American shelves? Nope. I'm not even sure why they attempted to get Kai so much exposure if they weren't planning on following it up with actual things that sell.

A kid isn't going to buy a $40 DVD set, but he can buy a $10 action figure.

I think they were counting on it selling to the die hards who preferred the Dragon Boxes over everything else (for filler, Buu, violence, etc.), as well as those who needed the original dub voices/music. And those people would also have to want an HD version, as they likely had already bought the Dragon Boxes and Orange Bricks, respectively. But that's a small fragment of the DBZ pie. Most people either A) thought Kai was good enough (or the exact same as the old series due to ignorance) or B) were kids who were new to the whole thing, so for them, Kai will now always be their preferred version.

It's pretty important to note that the BDs just came off of the Dragon Boxes but had half the episode count per set. Just check out how empty Daizex was in regards to hype for the BDs compared to older releases. People got burned out. It was too soon.

KingK

Another thing is that before Toonami, the only kind of cartoons I had seen were just the regular, silly, colorful cartoons made just for kids. When I first saw Toonami it was my first time seeing anime ever. All of a sudden I'm watching explosions, dark serious stories, insanely detailed drawings, and it just blew my little 10 year old mind. At the time I had no idea where these crazy shows came from. So it really did feel like this unknown ship in space, with an awesome robot at the helm, was transmitting us these shows that, cause they were so different from anything I had seen before, felt like they weren't from this planet. It all had this huge sense of mystery behind it, and I fucking loved it. Of course I never really thought the ship and Tom were real, but it was just awesome to believe they were out there somewhere sending us these stunning cartoons.

This was exactly the same for me too. The atmosphere of mystery and surreal out of this world feelings these shows gave me when I saw them were great. It felt almost dream-like watching some of these shows as a kid.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kai was made to sell merch and provide a "manga-accurate" take on the Dragon Ball manga. It didn't sell merch, and as such it didn't fulfill its duty to be manga-accurate as it covered only 2/3rds of the Z portion of the manga, and ended on filler. Kai is a failure.

As for Funimation, Kai was made to sell toys. Are there any Dragon Ball toys on North American shelves? Nope. I'm not even sure why they attempted to get Kai so much exposure if they weren't planning on following it up with actual things that sell.

A kid isn't going to buy a $40 DVD set, but he can buy a $10 action figure.

I'm glad you have such insight into Funimation's desires and goals. Tell them to keep making the BR sets the way they are.

It's pretty important to note that the BDs just came off of the Dragon Boxes but had half the episode count per set. Just check out how empty Daizex was in regards to hype for the BDs compared to older releases. People got burned out. It was too soon.

Daizex didn't get excited because they're super fanatical DB purists. I'm sure if the BR's were being made by Toei they would have been much more favorable.

Takao

Banned
Daizex didn't get excited because they're super fanatical DB purists. I'm sure if the BR's were being made by Toei they would have been much more favorable.

Many people bought the Orange Bricks back in the day because it was the best we could get without paying $1000+ to import Dragon Boxes. I don't think it being a Funimation product has anything to do with it.

I'm glad you have such insight into Funimation's desires and goals. Tell them to keep making the BR sets the way they are.

If you want my full opinion I think Funimation is a ticking time bomb that relies way too much on a declining home video market (because web streaming makes no money) and should expand to other markets while they still can.

This is going to sound weird, but I don't think they milked Kai, or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood to the degree they should've been.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell happened to last night's Toonami thread? Can't find it anywhere, and it's gone from my post history. Sadness...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom