• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Wonder Woman is Not the Problem When It Comes to Sexism At the United Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.
From The Mary Sue:

lynda-carter-and-gal-xhu87.jpg

Earlier today, in a ceremony at the United Nations, Wonder Woman was named an Honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Women and Girls, in conjunction with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goal #5 which, according to a press release, “focuses on gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls as a critical component of a peaceful, prosperous and sustainable world.” However, there are those at the UN who were not thrilled with this particular choice of ambassador.

As reported in the New York Times, over 600 members of the UN staff have signed an online petition calling for the Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon, to reconsider using Wonder Woman in this way, preferring instead that a flesh-and-blood woman with a proven track record of activism, rather than a fictional character, be bestowed with this honor. Part of the petition reads:

Wonder Woman was created 75 years ago. Although the original creators may have intended Wonder Woman to represent a strong and independent “warrior” woman with a feminist message, the reality is that the character’s current iteration is that of a large breasted, white woman of impossible proportions, scantily clad in a shimmery, thigh-baring body suit with an American flag motif and knee high boots –the epitome of a “pin-up” girl. This is the character that the United Nations has decided to represent a globally important issue – that of gender equality and empowerment of women and girls. It appears that this character will be promoted as the face of sustainable development goal 5 for the United Nations at large.

The online petition was followed up by an IRL protest during the ceremony itself. According to Revelist, several dozen protesters held up their fists with their backs turned on the proceedings in silent protest of the decision.

*sigh*

As a woman of color who loves comics and empowering women, I have mixed feelings about this whole thing.

On the one hand, I understand the hesitation on this. Had anyone asked me (PS, no one did), I would’ve suggested that they have Wonder Woman as an honorary ambassador and an actual, real-life human woman as a goodwill ambassador, or vice versa. This is especially sensitive, considering the fact that the United Nations has never had a female Secretary General. This month, the UN apparently rejected seven female candidates for the position in a year when everyone was certain it was going to be a woman’s turn, only to name António Guterres of Argentina as the next Secretary General.

THAT sucks. In fact, that’s unconscionable. How are you going to claim a Sustainable Development Goal like “empowering women” while not empowering women in your own organization? THAT, quite frankly, is some bullshit, and THAT needs to be called out, for sure.

But it also has nothing to do with Wonder Woman being chosen as a symbol of female empowerment, and the petition, while understandable, also reeks of ignorance about the character and a lack of self-awareness as far as what the UN has always done, rightfully so, as far as creating these symbolic positions to raise awareness.

Let’s talk character first:

“Although the original creators may have intended Wonder Woman to represent a strong and independent “warrior” woman with a feminist message” – she was never just a warrior. Wonder Woman has always been about love and peace first, war as a very last resort, and only defensively.

“the character’s current iteration is that of a large breasted, white woman of impossible proportions, scantily clad in a shimmery, thigh-baring body suit with an American flag motif and knee high boots –the epitome of a “pin-up” girl.” – So much to unpack here: 1) of which “current iteration” are they speaking? Do they know she has several titles with several different creative teams, each doing very different takes?, 2) her appearance changes with every artist, as does the size of her breasts and how pronounced the “American flag motif” is, 3) what’s wrong with large breasts and knee-high boots? Women who have or wear these can’t be good examples or role models?

A fourth point deserves its own space. The fact that Wonder Woman is a “white woman” and that she wears an “American flag motif.” Of all the reasons why Wondy would be “inappropriate” for a global organization, these are the two I understand the most. And yet, I think whoever created this petition doesn’t really know or understand the character and is making assumptions based on that ignorance.

Like, for example, calling her “white.” Now, “white” means something very specific here in the States, and it can mean something else entirely depending on where you are in the world. However, something to keep in mind is that Diana of Themyscira grew up worshiping both Greek and Egyptian goddesses, and depending on what version of her story you read, Themyscira (or Paradise Island) is located somewhere in the Mediterranean. Wonder Woman herself — again, depending on the telling — could be Greek, or Turkish, or even Middle Eastern. But rather than approaching the character with any sort of complexity, or alternately, using this as an opportunity to find the international layers within the character, they’ve made a blanket assumption on sight, or else, based on the TV show in which an American actress portrayed the character and for which the words “Red, white, and blue” are sung in the very theme song! (NOTE: even this is misleading, considering that Carter herself is part Latina, her mother being of Mexican, Spanish, and French descent!)

And speaking of Wonder Woman’s “Americanness,” again that depends on what version of her you’re talking about. In Darwyn Cooke’s New Frontier, for example, Wonder Woman is clearly not all about America. We first meet her fighting alongside female rebels in China when Superman comes to rein her in, and she’s all “NOPE.” Even when she’s fighting on the side of America in certain stories, it’s never (or rarely) “because ‘MURICUH!” She’s always fighting in the interest of global peace and women everywhere.

Now that we’ve gotten character stuff out of the way, I have to bring up the fact that she is an HONORARY ambassador. The role is a symbolic one. What more appropriate thing to do than to have an actual symbol in that role? In a separate New York Times piece, writer Somini Sengupta refers to Wonder Woman as a “mascot” when deriding the choice in an op-ed, and my first thought was, “Well…yes.”

That’s pretty much the point of something like this. “Honorary ambassadorships” are entirely designed to be mascots, symbols to raise awareness. It should be more troubling when actual people are put into those roles, but it isn’t, because the people understand what function they serve. It’s their job to be the “face” of a cause, to draw worldwide attention to an effort of global importance.

More in the article.

diane-nelson-lynda-ca5jbai.jpg

Loona

António Guterres is Portuguese, not Argentinian... Not what I expected to notice or focus on when reading this, but damn does my country have an awareness problem...

sibarraz

Banned
I don't know much about Wonder Woman, so my source was an old cracked article that I read years ago.

Wasn't she originally not really a feminist? In that article they explained that Wonder Woman weak point was a MAN (And only a man) tying her up? also that her original creator wasn't exactly a very proggresive man.

I want to know this since I really like her design and background.

Still, saying that Wonder Woman isn't a good role because she has big breasts or is white sounds super stupid, there are lots of womens who had those 2 attributies who suffer the same problems

Wonder Woman is MUCH better today than basically any time before, especially her original appearances.

That being said, the obvious problem of using a fictional character when part of the problem with gender inequality is lack of appropriate representation should be the main focus. This seems more like corporate sponsorship than progress.

I don't know much about Wonder Woman, so my source was an old cracked article that I read years ago.

Wasn't she originally not really a feminist? In that article they explained that Wonder Woman weak point was a MAN (And only a man) tying her up? also that her original creator wasn't exactly a very proggresive man.

I want to know this since I really like her design and background.

Still, saying that Wonder Woman isn't a good role because she has big breasts or is white sounds super stupid, there are lots of womens who had those 2 attributies who suffer the same problems

"Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power. Not wanting to be girls, they don't want to be tender, submissive, peace-loving as good women are. Women's strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman."
~Wonder Woman's creator

The guy who created her did so as a deliberate counterpoint to stereotypical male superheroes, and he argued against how male-dominated the world was (although he went the other way and believed the world would be better as a matriarchy. Take from that what you will). The author's bondage fetish was everywhere, but there were just as many men getting tied up as women, if not more.

Umm do the UN members themselves know what an HONORARY ambassador is all about? And their hypocrisy for not getting ACTUAL women in the roles? lol

Totally agreed with Teresa Jusino here.

Goodstyle

The guy who wrote Wonder Woman was a bondage fetishist, but that doesn't preclude him from being a feminist. Wonder Woman's character can be both sexually submissive and empowering, these two things aren't mutually exclusive. I wish more people and writers today would understand that.

kswiston

The guy who wrote Wonder Woman was a bondage fetishist, but that doesn't preclude him from being a feminist. Wonder Woman's character can be both sexually submissive and empowering, these two things aren't mutually exclusive. I wish more people and writers today would understand that.

Marston's wife was a career woman back when that was nearly unheard of for married women. Besides collaborating on nearly all of his professional work, they shared a lover who acted as the stay at home mom for both her kids and Marston's wife's kids. Marston died early, and his wife and mistress remained together for decades. I don't know how anyone can accuse him of being unprogressive, even if he was odd.

RocknRola

António Guterres is from Portugal, not Argentina. Furthermore he was the clear cut favourite candidate from the start in the eyes of the UN (won literally every voting session with a confortable lead). So, despite plenty of women (and men) also entering the run(though, not 7 women, 5 in total with a last minute candidate) their "dismissal" only came at the surprise of the people who didn't follow the voting process.

So if the author wants to call out any bullshit she better get her facts straight, at the very least.

---

That said I do agree that a real-life woman should be the chosen figure head for this particular title. As great as Wonder Woman is a real-life person will always be far, far more relatable and actually sends the message to girls/youg women/women in general, that yes they can and should actively strive for everything they want in life. That's just my take on it though.

Yeah, making her a fictional character is kinda eh, but particularly because that character still has on going stories, and yeah, looks like a pin up girl.. Also, whitebred, etc.

Comics wise, what if she went evil, or did something uncool. Would she still be a good symbol? I don't think it's a great idea.

Mother Teresa would be better, even. Or get a fictional character that is from older times that isn't currently exploited in consumer products, movies, and merchandising.

All I know is that yesterday was Wonder Woman Day 2016, and on that day these two met for the first time, and that's pretty awesome.
The rest sounds like a case of unfortunate timing in which a PR campaign of a positive message with universal appeal, got caught in the undertow of an ongoing political battle related specifically to the Secretary General position and to gender representation as a whole, and was swiftly sunk.

Happy belated Wonder Woman Day to you Diana, and to everyone she's inspired.

x4fHkHx.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
I think part of the whole thing about WW as female empowered icon is that she has grown beyond her iconography, yes, she might [sometimes] still be designed with the usual comicbook sexiness, but people nowadays think of her and don't instantly think "sexy pinup character", but of the idea of female empowerment itself, she's outgrown her medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom