• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii-k in Review 6/1/2007

Saoh

GaimeGuy said:
Someone mind telling me exactly why everyone is so hyped about Manhunt 2? :/

it's a killing simulator!!!

no, really, manhunt 2 is the first time i've heard of manhunt and i'm interested in the Wii version.

It's also the first game from arguably one of the more influential Western developers. From a sales perspective, especially if it takes off, it could mean that the Wii will get more than Japanese developer support with actual substance.

Krowley

GaimeGuy said:

it's because the people who have seen it are pretty hyped about it. It's getting great early buzz and it sounds like it might be a special game. It sounds like it may be much better than the first game.

It also appears to take full advantage of the platform and it's a supermature/hardcore title that's being made by a major developer with the wii as the target console.

GaimeGuy said:
-Godfather's controls were excellent and it was great fun beating on people, I hope this plays equally well
-Manhunt was a pretty good game despite it's shock value

Vashu

black Wii may be on the way

Awesome.. If they can get one out by Autumn here in Europe I might go for that one since my parents already ordered the damn hard to come by thing. :D

Also, full game concept? Awesome, looking forward to what they can come up with. If that in fact is based for the Virtual Console.

E3 Can't come soon enough!

Notice: Was actually in another topic, but this is where it's supposed to be at. :D

So basically we just need to fast forward to E3. Wii Health, Wii Music, etc. But where the hell is Wii Motor Sports? I thought that was the most promising of the Wii series games.

Wiitard

Banned
ZealousD said:
It's mainly due to IGN's structure of how they organize their editors. The editors at IGN each work on their own dedicated channels so that each channel dishes out the most content they can for their target audience. It's almost like you're going to an entirely different website each time you change channels on IGN.

However, Gamespot and 1UP tend to blanket their editors across all platforms, so that everybody covers everything. Because Nintendo has been second-rate as far as support and news go in the past two generations, this generally meant that Nintendo got left behind in coverage.

It's a huge reason why IGN gets the vast majority of Nintendo-related exclusives outside of Nintendo Power. It helps when you have Nintendo fans doing dedicated Nintendo content. The other sites don't really have that.

That explains it. I really wish the other sites would make an effort now that they have seen the popularity of the console. I used to find Gamespot last gen somewhat informative as far as Xbox, a niche platform, was conserned. Now they are just ridiculous.

ethelred

Wiitard said:
That explains it. I really wish the other sites would make an effort now that they have seen the popularity of the console. I used to find Gamespot last gen somewhat informative as far as Xbox, a niche platform, was conserned. Now they are just ridiculous.

Popularity != Quality.

Rezbit

Black Wii + Metroid Prime 3 bundle please.

In regards to Manhunt, I have to admit I too have a morbid curiosity toward it.

ethelred

Wiitard said:
And what's your point exactly?

More favorable coverage should not be provided simply because of popularity, but rather only if it is justified by what the editors perceive as quality. If the quality is not there, the coverage should be appropriately harsh and mocking. You bring up the Xbox as though the Wii is somehow deserving of positive coverage merely because a more niche console received such -- alas, it is not so.

Wiitard

Banned
ethelred said:
More favorable coverage should not be provided simply because of popularity, but rather only if it is justified by what the editors perceive as quality. If the quality is not there, the coverage should be appropriately harsh and mocking. You bring up the Xbox as though the Wii is somehow deserving of positive coverage merely because a more niche console received such -- alas, it is not so.

I did not say positive. I say dedicated detailed coverage.

For example: "SC Adventures Wii is coming but it probably will not be good" is the kind of story I'm looking for.

Instead of: a) ignoring the Wii coverage ; b) generic trolling.

ethelred

Wiitard said:
I did not say positive. I say dedicated detailed coverage.

For example: "SC Adventures Wii is coming but it probably will not be good" is the kind of story I'm looking for.

Instead of: a) ignoring the Wii coverage ; b) generic trolling.

Oh, that's it?

USC-fan

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Because its a "m" rated game on the wii and its from rockstar.....

As for some here saying more sites need to be like IGN...please STFU. The nintendo fanboy team at IGN only plays nintendo console games. While the other channels editors at IGN play games from all consoles. So when IGN does Game of the Year awards.... You get a 7 point game like Wii sports winning "Sport game of the year". The nintendo team only vote nintendo games for "games of the year." That is the only channel at IGN that EVERY editor just voted for the console they work on.

Diablos54

Kbsmoker said:

As for some here saying more sites need to be like IGN...please STFU. The nintendo fanboy team at IGN only plays nintendo console games. While the other channels editors at IGN play games from all consoles. So when IGN does Game of the Year awards.... You get a 7 point game like Wii sports winning "Sport game of the year". The nintendo team only vote nintendo games for "games of the year." That is the only channel at IGN that EVERY editor just voted for the console they work on.
:lol :lol Aside from the Nintendo team, NO ONE voted for Zelda as GOTY, some even called it utter crap. The Nintendo team's like, the only good team left at IGN. All the good editors at the other channel's have moved on.

USC-fan

Banned
Diablos54 said:
:lol :lol Aside from the Nintendo team, NO ONE voted for Zelda as GOTY, some even called it utter crap. The Nintendo team's like, the only good team left at IGN. All the good editors at the other channel's have moved on.
Yes some did vote for zelda but there was some awesome games last year. The nintendo team hypes just about every game for the wii. Look how they hyped spiderman 3. The girl on the podcast told matt the game sucked, MAtt said it was a good game and better than the other versions.....

Diablos54

Kbsmoker said:
Yes some did vote for zelda but there was some awesome games last year. The nintendo team hypes just about every game for the wii. Look how they hyped spiderman 3. The girl on the podcast told matt the game sucked, MAtt said it was a good game and better than the other versions.....
No... They all hated Spiderman, I think you missed a thing called sarcasm! Did you see the review?

And no, no one voted for Zelda, there was a big thing about this over at the IGN Boards.

USC-fan

Banned
Diablos54 said:
No... They all hated Spiderman, I think you missed a thing called sarcasm! Did you see the review?

And no, no one voted for Zelda, there was a big thing about this over at the IGN Boards.
Do you listen to the podcast? Before the review went up they were attacking jessica because she was saying the game sucked. Matt said "Thats great the actress couldn't handle the game..... Then he said it played well when he played it.

If you were an ign insider they had a 5+ page article about the game of the years award this year.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Kbsmoker said:

um... dont forget that cassamasina has both a 360 and a PS3 (no knowlege of boz), so theyr hardly nintendo only gamers. IGN pays them too well.

USC-fan

Banned
doomed1 said:
um... dont forget that cassamasina has both a 360 and a PS3 (no knowlege of boz), so theyr hardly nintendo only gamers. IGN pays them too well.
didn't know he had a ps3 but i thought his 360 broke long time ago. Matt is the only one that does if he even plays them, the nintendo team are fanboys and the other editors at ign all make fun of them.

Kbsmoker you're paranoid. The Nintendo team treats Wii games no better than any others and they give them fair ratings. In terms of hyping, they're probably the most objective in that they don't let their Nintendo bias influence their scores too much. Perhaps you're forgetting Xbox IGN which gave Jade Empire a 9.9 and PS2 IGN which gave Shadow of the Collosus a 9.7

ethelred

Zoramon089 said:
Kbsmoker you're paranoid. The Nintendo team treats Wii games no better than any others and they give them fair ratings. In terms of hyping, they're probably the most objective in that they don't let their Nintendo bias influence their scores too much. Perhaps you're forgetting Xbox IGN which gave Jade Empire a 9.9 and PS2 IGN which gave Shadow of the Collosus a 9.7

Is Shadow of the Colossus related to Shadow of the Colossus? If so, a well deserved score. It sounds like what you're saying is that "[the Nintendo fanboy editors] are probably the most objective in that they give Nintendo games the scores I like."

And IGN Xbox may have given Jade Empire a 9.9, but IGN Ninty gave Metroid Prime a 9.8. So...

Diablos54

Kbsmoker said:
Do you listen to the podcast? Before the review went up they were attacking jessica because she was saying the game sucked. Matt said "Thats great the actress couldn't handle the game..... Then he said it played well when he played it.

If you were an ign insider they had a 5+ page article about the game of the years award this year.
No, they were saying how she's crap at playing it. Nothing about the quality in that comment. They were talking about the Swinging Controls at the time.

USC-fan

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Paranoid.... :lol

So Wii sport was the best sports game last YEAR.... :lol :lol

If you listen to the ign podcasts and read the article about the Game of the year award at IGN. Its pretty clear how un-bias the nintendo team is. :lol

Xzbeat

Kbsmoker said:
Paranoid.... :lol

So Wii sport was the best sports game last YEAR.... :lol :lol

If you listen to the ign podcasts and read the article about the Game of the year award at IGN. Its pretty clear how un-bias the nintendo team is. :lol
Wii Golf >>>>>> Tiger Woods
Wii Tennis > Virtua Tennis

Krowley

The IGN nintendo team is just as harsh with their reviews as any other site... Sonic wii comes to mind as does mario kart: DD and many other titles.

I love it that Cassamassina is either a fanboy or nintendo hater depending on who you ask and what article he just wrote.

Using GAF reactions as a measuring stick, if you look at titles like SSX blur and Godfather it seems that IGN is getting closer to the mark with their wii reviews this gen than 1up or gamespot. I'd bet that part of the reason is that they play the wii all the time while the reviewers on the other sites only pick it up occasionaly to play a new game... That means they have to re-acclimate to the wii every time they review a game.

Oh and the only thing wrong with cassamassina's Metroid prime review is that he didn't give it a 10.

thefro

ethelred said:

No, but gaming sites are losing money by not serving the Wii userbase with their coverage and getting exclusives. It's simple economics.

Nobody's really trying except for IGN Wii at this point.

ethelred

thefro said:
No, but gaming sites are losing money by not serving the Wii userbase with their coverage and getting exclusives. It's simple economics.

Journalistic integrity is -- or at least should be -- of greater value to a readership than the financial viability of the venue. It seems like you're actually advocating that the gaming "press" sell out more than it already is.

Should the Bancrofts sell the Wall Street Journal to Rupert Murdoch just because it'd make them a few more millions? Should the gaming media slavishly devote themselves to the Wii just because soccer moms love it? Or should we ask that they give the appropriate level of coverage based on editorial judgements of quality and value as news?

Xzbeat

Kbsmoker said:
So you like shallow sport games, great for you.
Did you ever play Wii Golf? If no, you should give it a try.

I agree that the graphics sucks but it's miles away from Tiger Woods PS2/PS3/360 or Minna no Golf in terms of gameplay. They are definately not in the same league.

You can ask anyone that have played the game. Wii Golf is superior to your usual golf video game.
Waggle was useless for Zelda or Paper Mario but it adds a lot to golf and tennis games. Same goes for bowling games.

USC-fan

Banned
Xzbeat said:
Did you ever play Wii Golf? If not, you should give it a try.

I agree that the graphics sucks but it's miles away from Tiger Woods PS2/PS3/360 or Minna no Golf in terms of gameplay. They are definately not in the same league.

You can ask anyone that have played the game. Wii Golf is superior to your usual golf video game.
Waggle was useless for Zelda or Paper Mario but it adds a lot to golf and tennis games. Same goes for bowling games.
of course i have played it. Wii golf is just a tech demo....if you like the tiger woods series you won't like this game just because its so shallow.

In Wii Tennis you don't even move your guy to hit the ball.

Wiitard

Banned
ethelred said:
Journalistic integrity is -- or at least should be -- of greater value to a readership than the financial viability of the venue. It seems like you're actually advocating that the gaming "press" sell out more than it already is.

Should the Bancrofts sell the Wall Street Journal to Rupert Murdoch just because it'd make them a few more millions? Should the gaming media slavishly devote themselves to the Wii just because soccer moms love it? Or should we ask that they give the appropriate level of coverage based on editorial judgements of quality and value as news?

No he is not saying that. Or anything even remotely close.

What you are suggesting, however, seems close to: NYT should never consider adding any kind of coverage - restaurant reviews, tech coverage, games or whatever because that would compromise the journalistic integrity. Devoting more resourses to something your readership wants is absolutely reasonable and correct thing to do.

It has nothing to do with review scores - we are reasonably well served there with aggregation sites. It's about coverage of future stuff, trends and so on. I wish, for example that somebody wrote an article about why not a sigle third party tennis game has been announced for Wii - actually talking to publishers off record, doing some legwork.

The problem is that game journalistic coverage of Wii is simply not up to the last gen standards. Last gen, the vast majority of games were multiplatform and the versions were essentially identical. This gen REQUIRES some degree of specialization and the fact that major sites besides IGN are not really up to speed on that really hurts the coverage quality, at least as far as somebody with my interest is concerned.

Xzbeat

Kbsmoker said:
of course i have played it. Wii golf is just a tech demo....if you like the tiger woods series you won't like this game just because its so shallow.

In Wii Tennis you don't even move your guy to hit the ball.
Gears of War was also a tech demo and a short game but still is my favorite game on the 360.
Crysis is just a tech demo too. Actually most FPSes are tech demos, what's wrong with this if the game is fun?
Thing is Wii Golf is more fun and "immersive" than TW and i liked it more than my 360 version (though I stopped playing it since I bought TW07 Wii).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Why in God's name is anyone responding to this idiot?

Deku

Banned
Holy hell, people still use these avatars? Talk about loud, obnoxious and an eyesore.

148fs117387.gif

Why the hell are people giving the time of day to let alone arguing at length with some dude with an SDF avatar? Avatars like that should scream at you "I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY I'M JUST GOING TO BE RETARDED NINTENDO FANBOYS THEY'RE EVERYWHERE I'M SURROUNDED LALALALALA". Y'know, sort of like drohne's.

Krowley said:
Oh and the only thing wrong with cassamassina's Metroid prime review is that he didn't give it a 10.

Best sentence in this thread.

Tristam

ethelred said:
Is Shadow of the Colossus related to Shadow of the Colossus? If so, a well deserved score. It sounds like what you're saying is that "[the Nintendo fanboy editors] are probably the most objective in that they give Nintendo games the scores I like."

And IGN Xbox may have given Jade Empire a 9.9, but IGN Ninty gave Metroid Prime a 9.8. So...

And yet IGN's Metroid Prime score is far closer to the game's aggregate score (9.6 and 9.7 at Gamerankings and Metacritic, respectively) than its Jade Empire score (8.9 at either aggregate scoring site). I'm not even going to begin to argue the fanboyism plaguing nearly ALL media outlets for video games, but you're singling Metroid Prime out because you dislike the game, not because the score is particularly fanboyish. Right now, we're arguing the merits of Matt C. and co., not the merits of Metroid Prime.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
The press are gonna cover Wii as they see fit, no reason to argue that. Journalism is what journalism is. The argument of certain facilities not being "fair" or "objective" goes both ways...you're gonna find fanboyish journalist's turn editorialist's from all sides and really no point in arguing that.

Game scores & reviews are opinion's...why hold them in such high regard? If you like or dislike something...play or don't play it, who care's what they think. Everyone has different opinion's.

Some of you guys take journalist's and the like way too seriously, why do their impressions mean anything? Why not say such'n'such game receives YOUR seal of approval instead?

USC-fan

Banned
Deku said:
Holy hell, people still use these avatars? Talk about loud, obnoxious and an eyesore.

148fs117387.gif

BrodiemanTTR said:
Why the hell are people giving the time of day to let alone arguing at length with some dude with an SDF avatar? Avatars like that should scream at you "I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY I'M JUST GOING TO BE RETARDED NINTENDO FANBOYS THEY'RE EVERYWHERE I'M SURROUNDED LALALALALA". Y'know, sort of like drohne's.

edit: i think some here are missing what i'm saying... i don't care that the wii team at ign is fanboys, The point i was making is that not all gaming site should act like this. As for the RETARDED NINTENDO FANBOYS THEY'RE EVERYWHERE I'M SURROUNDED comments.... i was just repeating what was written in the ign game of the year article for insiders. The other editors call the nintendo team at ign a bunch of nintendo fanboys for just voting nintendo platform games for EVERY game of the year award.....

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Waa waa waa, who cares...back on topic:

The podcast suppossedly has some talk about NeO*GeO VC games and the fabled Wii HDD again. I know SNK said a while back they were waiting for the go ahead from from Nintendo on NeO*GeO VC games from them.

The argument of a HDD vs openning up SD card's has been thrown out there, but Nintendo's gonna do what Nintendo's gonna do. For whatever reason so far they haven't openned up direct SD access, nor have they addressed the issues of more VC systems/original content. It could be 'cos they're working out the fine print/details, but at this point I dunno what they'll do. To me, they should have solutions for using either SD or HDD for these things...and they also need a better filing system in the Channel's menu if they want people to download/organize/play more VC content. A small external HDD may also open up MMO possibilities and it could be a reason why they haven't revealed the Wii version of Animal Crossing yet? Then there's also the question of demo's.

I think they should do both solutions and open up SD Card access more as well as sell a special HDD for a one time buy solution...that way you satisfy both sides of it. The HDD should be small, cheap, quiet & low power consuming to fit with the asthetic's of the Wii though. I would suggest selling the HDD with Animal Crossing since most people who want that game would probably welcome a HDD...I would!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Krowley said:

Cassamassina didn't review Prime. Fran Mirabella did.

Wiitard

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
Waa waa waa, who cares...back on topic:

The podcast suppossedly has some talk about NeO*GeO VC games and the fabled Wii HDD again. I know SNK said a while back they were waiting for the go ahead from from Nintendo on NeO*GeO VC games from them.

The argument of a HDD vs openning up SD card's has been thrown out there, but Nintendo's gonna do what Nintendo's gonna do. For whatever reason so far they haven't openned up direct SD access, nor have they addressed the issues of more VC systems/original content. It could be 'cos they're working out the fine print/details, but at this point I dunno what they'll do. To me, they should have solutions for using either SD or HDD for these things...and they also need a better filing system in the Channel's menu if they want people to download/organize/play more VC content. A small external HDD may also open up MMO possibilities and it could be a reason why they haven't revealed the Wii version of Animal Crossing yet? Then there's also the question of demo's.

I think they should do both solutions and open up SD Card access more as well as sell a special HDD for a one time buy solution...that way you satisfy both sides of it. The HDD should be small, cheap, quiet & low power consuming to fit with the asthetic's of the Wii though. I would suggest selling the HDD with Animal Crossing since most people who want that game would probably welcome a HDD...I would!

Yep, they are definitely taking their sweet time with this issue. Which, buy the way, they promissed would be addressed way back.

And it would: we would get demos, opened SD, HD support in a week if Nintendo was feeling any kind of fire under their ass. Unfortunately, they don't.

Krowley

ZealousD said:
Cassamassina didn't review Prime. Fran Mirabella did.

Ahh...

well I know Matt's a big fan so I assumed he reviewed it. Regardless, no title last gen deserved a 10 more than metroid prime.

I think reviewers are way too stingy with perfect scores. Might as well not even have 10 as an option if you're not going to use it for games as awesome as prime, RE4, MGS3 and Ninja gaiden. At some point a game reaches a level of quality were a number doesn't really matter anymore and those games should all recieve perfect scores.

Top Bottom