• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Preview

LakeEarth

PowWow said:
Okay guys, I need this answering.

In normal tennis games, yeah you move your character but you also control the direction of the shot using the analogue stick/D-pad. In Wii Tennis, how do you control which way the ball goes? Is it JUST a case of timing it (for right-handed player, doing it early will make it go left, hitting it a bit late will make it go right) or can it genuinely sense whether you mean to hit it cross-court or down the line. Also, how accurate is it at measuring the speed at which the ball is hit the racquet? Can you hit drop shots and slices accurately? Has anyone played Wii Sports who actually plays tennis frequently? (apart from Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski at that London event. Doubt they browse GAF anyway...or do they?)

Any answers will be beaucoup welcomed!
Its 100% how you swing the controller.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
only nine holes in Wii Golf is certainly dissapointing... perhaps they'll be able to deliver new batches of holes to us through wiiconnect24. I sure hope so.

PowWow

fresquito said:
Like with a racket.

Yeah, I do actually play tennis (i know, hard to imagine someone who goes on gaf AND plays sports) but yeah, i haven't seen a single video where someone attempts a slice drop shot to the net or that keeps it hitting it down the line over and over again without going cross-court. I guess what I'm trying to say is, how accurate is it at measuring exactly which direction and to what depth the ball should go.

levious said:
only nine holes in Wii Golf is certainly dissapointing... perhaps they'll be able to deliver new batches of holes to us through wiiconnect24. I sure hope so.

There's multiple difficulties but that might just affect par...I can see them having new courses throught Wiiconnect24 though

penguini

Banned
levious said:

Let's hope so! But the cynic in me says they will just release it as a new game for $49.99 :)

levious said:
I read that there are more than nine. Nine from NES Golf at least additional. They need to be unlocked maybe?

These tennis questions are great. I have one. Does the game actually know the difference between a forehand and a backhand. For example if the ball is going to my backhand but I just play the shot with a forehand action will I miss the ball.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

Model 500

Bearillusion said:
These tennis questions are great. I have one. Does the game actually know the difference between a forehand and a backhand. For example if the ball is going to my backhand but I just play the shot with a forehand action will I miss the ball.

Just some quick answers, you will not miss the ball, since it automatically hits the ball with the hand where the ball is going. I bumped into this once when I was preparing my backhand shot very early but the curve on the ball was enough to make it a forehand shot and the speed was enough so that I didn't have time to change my stance.

And about the accuracy, I can't really say, I played the game 2 times without sounds and in a show floor environment, I couldn't really make out what the angle of the racket was when I was holding it in my hand normally. I tried to experiment a bit and managed to do power shots, different spins (including top spin), high balls, and once I hit the net and a couple of times way over bounds. I'm waiting to test this properly at home. It felt great, but, because of the difficult surroundings, I didn't really get inside the mechanics.

I have to say that after playing this, I'm really looking forward to a proper Tennis game on the Wii. Wiirtua Tennis, please, Sega :)

Model 500 said:
Just some quick answers, you will not miss the ball, since it automatically hits the ball with the hand where the ball is going. I bumped into this once when I was preparing my backhand shot very early but the curve on the ball was enough to make it a forehand shot and the speed was enough so that I didn't have time to change my stance.

Are you saying then that it is pointless to ever hit a ball with a backhand action?

threeball

Banned
perryfarrell said:
Good impressions.

As far as golf is concerned, can you also control the direction in which your shot goes?

Yes, although the way you swing has the biggest impact on your shot overall

levious

Bearillusion said:
Are you saying then that it is pointless to ever hit a ball with a backhand action?

I just watched a GT movie were someone missed a return because they attempted a forehand instead of a backhand. Maybe sometimes there's glitches with it too, we'll all know soon enough.

Model 500

Bearillusion said:

Well, going by my experience, the Mii changes stance depending on where the ball is going, regardless of your own stance. The CPU takes care of the Miis and the player is in control of the power, direction and spin of the shots. But like I said, I didn't really have the opportunity to get inside the mechanics. For what it's worth, regardless of the mechanics, I definitely had fun doing it "right", and that pretty much sums it up for me, why would anyone want to "cheat" in a game like this...

levious said:
I just watched a GT movie were someone missed a return because they attempted a forehand instead of a backhand. Maybe sometimes there's glitches with it too, we'll all know soon enough.

That's interesting, so the Mii didn't automatically adjust the backhand / forehand? You have a link for that? What I played was a demo version, maybe they've changed it, who knows.

fresquito

Just like Model 500 says, I don't really care if the game mimicks backhand or not, I will try to do the proper shot, which is the most fun thing to do :)

About spins and stuff like that, I read in the Iwata interviews that all of that is included, and that the way to do them is like in real life. How acurate they are? I don't know, but sure it's a first step.

Thraktor

PowWow said:

In normal tennis games, yeah you move your character but you also control the direction of the shot using the analogue stick/D-pad. In Wii Tennis, how do you control which way the ball goes? Is it JUST a case of timing it (for right-handed player, doing it early will make it go left, hitting it a bit late will make it go right) or can it genuinely sense whether you mean to hit it cross-court or down the line. Also, how accurate is it at measuring the speed at which the ball is hit the racquet? Can you hit drop shots and slices accurately? Has anyone played Wii Sports who actually plays tennis frequently? (apart from Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski at that London event. Doubt they browse GAF anyway...or do they?)

I didn't have that long with the game, so I couldn't test it that rigorously, but I could quite easily manage to control the speed and angle of my shots, as well as how high/low I wanted the ball. I didn't try any drop shots or anything like that, but I seemed to be able to get topspin on the ball on a couple of shots. Again, I didn't really spend that much time with it, but it did react pretty much exactly as I was expecting it to, so I'm fairly confident that it'll have enough depth to it.

levious

Model 500 said:
That's interesting, so the Mii didn't automatically adjust the backhand / forehand? You have a link for that? What I played was a demo version, maybe they've changed it, who knows.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=14955&type=mov&pl=game

go to about the 2:15 mark. It's not very clear, he swings too early as well so maybe if he timed it more correctly it would have automatically adjusted? Hopefully not though.

dannie

backhand / forehand is not auto
remote wing to left forehand,remote wing to right backhand hand

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/12/wii-gameplay-video-wii-sports-and-the-legend-of-zelda-twilight/
see 12:00

sports02_04.gif

ziran

PowWow said:

try watching this video i posted earlier, about a minute in:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7595562851952401334&hl=en

it looks like you're in full control of the shot, i.e. the type (flat, slice, topspin, lob), power and direction. i haven't played the game, but i've played tennis for years, and judging by the motions the guy is making, the shots are accurate to what would happen in real life.

it looks amazing!

How about for golf?

Fromt he Gamespot video I saw, they only had three clubs, and the only way you could slice/hook is by swinging too hard.

They played on Beginner though, I'm hoping advanced difficulty will let you choose from SW-3I with 1W, 3W, etc, and club face should be measured at impact.

Model 500

Levious, I think that was a timing issue, to me it looked like he had already done the swing before the ball was close enough?

dannie said:
backhand / forehand is not auto
remote wing to left forehand,remote wing to right backhand hand

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/12/wii-gameplay-video-wii-sports-and-the-legend-of-zelda-twilight/
see 12:00

Hmmm..what do you mean? @ 12:00 I see the ball flying past the player who's close to the net, are you sure the player is swinging the racket at all there, looks like he / she just turned after the ball? Well, anyways, I hope it is not automatic, since it would bring some additional depth to the game. Once when I played the demo the curve and speed on the ball was too much and I would've compeletely missed it if it hadn't automatically adjusted to forehand when I swinged. Let's wait and see.

sammy

so... Wii sports doesn't at all have the airplane demo? still looking forward to sports ... but the airplane demo at E3 was just plain awesome..

WHERE'S PILOTWINGS!?

sammy said:
so... Wii sports doesn't at all have the airplane demo? still looking forward to sports ... but the airplane demo at E3 was just plain awesome..

WHERE'S PILOTWINGS!?

It should - in some form or another - be in a future compilation title from Nintendo, titled Wii Motorsports.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
This is the 2nd video engadget has shown of the wii where the damn thing is set for 4:3 on a 16:9 widescreen display. You'd think, being the most popular technophile site on the net, theyd bother to set it right. It annoyed me the 1st time but I didnt think theyd do it again.

:Motorbass said:
Hm no, it shouldn't. :[
Full Pilotwings, Wave Race etc. plz.

Uh, that wasn't quite what I meant. There is supposed to be a compilation in development titled Wii Motorsports, and it should include the Airplane Demo from E3, together with a few other vehicle sports.

As for Pilotwings & Wave Race, yep, can't wait to see if we get new iterations of those on Wii, but they're separate from any Motorsports package.

Cosmonaut X said:
Uh, that wasn't quite what I meant. There is supposed to be a compilation in development titled Wii Motorsports, and it should include the Airplane Demo from E3, together with a few other vehicle sports.

As for Pilotwings & Wave Race, yep, can't wait to see if we get new iterations of those on Wii, but they're separate from any Motorsports package.
Yeh, I know.
I just think Nintendo would cut into their own sales if they'd release any more "shallow" compilations compared to full games. If you know what I mean. Not negative on Wii Sports at all.

:Motorbass said:
Yeh, I know.
I just think Nintendo would cut into their own sales if they'd release any more "shallow" compilations compared to full games. If you know what I mean. Not negative on Wii Sports at all.

I doubt it. Think of Wii Play, Wii Sports, Wii Motorsports or Wii Music as the home console version of games like Brain Training or Nintendogs. They're not necessarily targeted at the same gamers who would buy Pilotwings Wii or Wave Race Wii, even though there may be some crossover, so the "cutting into their own sales" that you suggest could be a concern isn't really a problem. The gamers keen for the more "hardcore" approach of titles like Wave Race are less likely to buy Wii Motorsports (or even if they do are still likely to go for Wave Race Wii as well) while the other audiences Nintendo are after might go for Wii Motorsports where they would shy away from something that's perceived as being more difficult or complex.

Top Bottom