• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Resort

Finally cut the red tape in beginner canoeing.

This has got to be the hardest Nintendo game I've played this generation, at least for getting stamps. I guess that what makes the game hard is that you have to basically master 12+ unique games(ways of playing) in order to get the hard stamps.

Now on to intermediate...

Nicktals

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
Finally cut the red tape in beginner canoeing.

This has got to be the hardest Nintendo game I've played this game, at least for getting stamps. I guess that what makes the game hard is that you have to basically master 12+ unique games(ways of playing) in order to get the hard stamps.

Now on to intermediate...

Yeah, I haven't started going for stamps hardcore yet, but I see canoeing being some of the hardest stamps...I've played canoeing a bit, and haven't even gotten close on beginner.

Nicktals

Banned
So, I'm thinking of adding one more category to the high score list (link), for total stamps. I haven't had much time for the game in the last week or two, but I can't be the only one planning on at least trying for all the stamps.

Really it's as much for me to be able to easily keep track of my total, without hunting through the game, due the idiotic lack of ability to overview scores/stamps.

So, if you want to post your total number of stamps, or give details about which events you have them all for, and what you still need, I'll post at least the totals on the list.

upandaway

tuco11 said:
How do you put spin on the ball in golf? I see it mentions "flicking" wrists in the manual?
How do you spin the ball in real life?

Nicktals, last I checked I got 57 stamps scattered all over, I think there are 100 total.

Nicktals

Banned
I haven't had any time for games, as i started taking care of two children pretty close to full time...But last time I played I counted, and I'm right around 78 stamps....with maybe 4 or 5 (i think) that won't be incredibly difficult to get.

Going to have to start squeezing in some playtime in the evenings, as I absolutely love this game.

Cycling is the game I haven't really put any time into yet...How difficult are the stamps for that one?

Koomaster

Nicktals said:
I haven't had any time for games, as i started taking care of two children pretty close to full time...But last time I played I counted, and I'm right around 78 stamps....with maybe 4 or 5 (i think) that won't be incredibly difficult to get.

Going to have to start squeezing in some playtime in the evenings, as I absolutely love this game.

Cycling is the game I haven't really put any time into yet...How difficult are the stamps for that one?
The cycling stamps are really difficult - it's based on coming in first place for all the races pretty much. There is one for coming in first in any race, then one for coming in first in the 3-leg race, and one for coming in first the 6-leg race. There is one for finishing a race while out of breath (which is actually pretty hard to time correctly), and I forget the last.

I can't get any further than 7th place (out of 100 racers) in the 6-leg race and I feel I am doing the best possible. So those stamps are pretty difficult.

Nicktals

Banned
Koomaster said:
The cycling stamps are really difficult - it's based on coming in first place for all the races pretty much. There is one for coming in first in any race, then one for coming in first in the 3-leg race, and one for coming in first the 6-leg race. There is one for finishing a race while out of breath (which is actually pretty hard to time correctly), and I forget the last.

I can't get any further than 7th place (out of 100 racers) in the 6-leg race and I feel I am doing the best possible. So those stamps are pretty difficult.

Oh, that's right. I think I got the one for finishing first in any race already, and I've only played once...I'll probably get the out of breath one and then wait until i have more time to play. Try to get my total to 80.

jibblypop

Banned
Just bumping this since I've been playing the living HELL out of this for the last month now. The Nintendo channel tells me that it has now jumped into the top ten for my most played wii games and there is more where that came from. :lol

I was working on the plane island flyover and finally got all the stamps. What a treat. I wish there was even more goals to do now just because flying around feels so good. Nothing makes me want a new Pilotwings game more than playing this. They have the controls basically perfect right here so they should just make it already!

Finally bought this game. Its 39.99 at Target (Best Buy price matched so I could use my gift card).

I only own one wii controller but me and two others had a blast*. Dont understand why canoeing doesnt allow you to play by passing the controller around, although you can do that by just starting over.

Played 10 games (skipped golf and bowling) and theyre all extremely intuitive and good fun. I like the amount of sub-games as well.

*The other multiplayer games I play, Mario kart and Smash bros are with my GC controllers

Shiggy said:
Are there any real games which can be compared to the airplane minigame? I'd like to buy one of them then :)
Your closest option:
Wing-Island-Ntsc-Front-Cover-1112.jpg
It's a near launch game and it definitely doesn't feel anywhere near as good as Wii Sports Resort, but there's a decent amount of content.

camineet

Banned
Excuse me bumping the thread.

I finally got Wii Sports Resort along with my new black Wii with Motion Plus all packed in.
Wow. Is all I can say.

Airplane makes me, also, want a new Pilotwings and Sword Play makes me really wonder, once again, what EAD/Miyamoto/Nintendo has in store for us...with the forthcoming Zelda.

Bentendo

camineet said:
Excuse me bumping the thread.

I finally got Wii Sports Resort along with my new black Wii with Motion Plus all packed in.
Wow. Is all I can say.

Airplane makes me, also, want a new Pilotwings and Sword Play makes me really wonder, once again, what EAD/Miyamoto/Nintendo has in store for us...with the forthcoming Zelda.

You'll spend hours playing Airplane. Seriously, I played that game more than every other one combined. There are eighty information points, each with a different description. HOWEVER, in order to get all of the extras you have to find each one at the three different times of day, with each day having different descriptions. Beyond that there's also thousands (thousands!) of balloons to destroy, a "secret" second island, and a unique Mario reference that I'll let you find on your own (hint: it's in a village).

The Lamonster said:
I dusted this off and played it with my special lady just yesterday!

Tons of the games are so much fun. It's such a good girlfriend game.

Dont tell that to my ultra-competitve wife that happens to REALLY suck at archery.

I STILL havent found all the secret targets and I am bound and determined to find them without a guide

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
WSR is an excellent game, though nothing has made me quite as angry as the expert canoeing stages. I still boot it up fairly often for a quick skydive/archery session/speed slice.

shawnlreed

After playing the heck out of Pilotwings Resort, I bought WSR just to play the Air Sports.
Gotta get my balloon popping fix!
I'm pleasantly surprised at how much more detailed Wuhu island is.
I love popping balloons behind cars and planes.
Finding the 80 information points was a breeze after spending endless hours looking for them in Pilotwings 3DS.

I know I'm super LTTP, but I'm really enjoying WSR now that I've got it.
The stamp idea is the closest I've seen Nintendo come to achievements, and certainly provides incentives for excelling at the different events.

Interactive Fiction said:
I know I'm super LTTP, but I'm really enjoying WSR now that I've got it.
The stamp idea is the closest I've seen Nintendo come to achievements, and certainly provides incentives for excelling at the different events.

I LOVE Wii Sports Resort. What an awesome game!
The plane flying was so relaxing and I must have spent 30 hours just flying around that island..

by the way, since I love that so much - do you think I would enjoy Pilotwings Resort even though I've already sunk so much time into the flying portion of this game?

added_time said:
I LOVE Wii Sports Resort. What an awesome game!
The plane flying was so relaxing and I must have spent 30 hours just flying around that island..

by the way, since I love that so much - do you think I would enjoy Pilotwings Resort even though I've already sunk so much time into the flying portion of this game?

Yes, it's a full Pilotwings game. Despite the fact that you know the island, you'll still hugely enjoy the missions and the experience of flying around with the different vehicles.

There is more to find on WuHu island as well (plus it has been expanded slightly) so you won't find everything straight away. Go for it!

BTW (since the thread has been super bumped) I'd like to take this opportunity to say how wonderful this game is! Truly one of Nintendo's best. It's just absolutely jam packed with tons of little touches and hidden things that really bring the experience to life (and of course the core gameplay is simply fantastic!)

giggas

added_time said:

As someone that played TONS of Air Sports in Resort, yes, absolutely.

I actually thought I wouldn't play any Free Flight mode in PilotWings because I was burnt out on it from Air Sports, but no, I've now put on double the time into Free Flight than Mission Mode at the moment.

It's almost the same thing, you pop balloons, get more time as you pop them and find locations. The difference is that you also have different objectives with the different aircraft. With the plane you need to find trick rings and perform simple stunts to get them. With the hang glider you need to go through rings, and the rocket belt you hunt down Mii packages.

Unlike Resort, you don't have to do everything on the different times of day to collect everything. At least, not to my knowledge, maybe something like that will open up once you get everything, I don't know.

It's just damn fun flying around wuhu with the hang glider and rocket belt.

Top Bottom