• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

I personally do not think a new software thread is needed. This one already moves slow enough as it is.

Frankly, the reason there is so much hardware discussion is because there hasn't really been anything new software wise since E3.

I think as we get closer and closer to launch things will even out again.
I agree.

Isn't this GPU some kind of multi-display monster as well? Watched an AMD video about it yesterday and think it said it could output 6'ish (can't remember now, but it was a lot) at the same time. WiiU obviously only needs 2 outputs, but still, the impressive multi-display nature fits in too.

*Edit, it was 6 and it was the same video big_erk posted.

Earendil said:
which according to some gets doubled when you put it in a console, so effectively makes it 1152 GFLOPs and above the 1 TFLOP marker for UE4 to 'get interesting.'

This rule only applies when talking about X8, PS4 , not U ;-)

Think that's just expanded on from what BG and others were talking about yesterday. The guy who writes that blog keeps tabs on what's discussed on here... maybe even a member.

*Beaten.

Or consolidating what we've talked about the past couple of months.

http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/AMD-Radeon-E6760-Embedded-GPU-O

Here's a video discussion about the E6760 Embedded GPU that may offer a little more insight into why this may be a good fit for the WiiU. Maybe one of the more tech minded posters here can glean something from this.

Nice video thanks.

(interesting)Speculation about the based Wii U GPU, before customization.

It means that if the WiiU GPU uses this as a base

I don't see it as a base. Just what Wii U's GPU would have similarities with. I still believe it will have R700's base architecture. Beyond that it could resemble the E6760.

which according to some gets doubled when you put it in a console, so effectively makes it 1152 GFLOPs and above the 1 TFLOP marker for UE4 to 'get interesting.'

Get that logic out of your head.

Wii U to be regional-free on day 1?
Yeah, it is pretty bad for Nintendo. Though maybe the ease of piracy will make it a success a la Playstation 1.

Another crazy idea:

Imagine a MP hide-and-seek-esque game where one player will hide 4 wiimotes throughout the room while the other play keeps his eyes closed. Then he will use the tablet as a ping/sonar-device and try to find the 4 hidden wiimotes before it's time over. The tablet holding player would have access to special powers such as making the wiimote play a quiet tune, making them vibrate, and so on (though it'd be very limited so you wouldn't be able to find all four wiimoets in this manner).

Earendil

Or consolidating what we've talked about the past couple of months.

Nice video thanks.

I don't see it as a base. Just what Wii U's GPU would have similarities with. I still believe it will have R700's base architecture. Beyond that it could resemble the E6760.

Get that logic out of your head.

I think my sarcasm was too subtle...

Antagon

Leaked keys are fucked up, wonder what'll happen with that. Guess the chips'll get a firmware update before being shipped?

Hope the design documents will show up soon.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I personally do not think a new software thread is needed. This one already moves slow enough as it is.

Frankly, the reason there is so much hardware discussion is because there hasn't really been anything new software wise since E3.

Well, we didn't see any real and concrete update neither on the hardware side, but we are speculating hard...
It really seems that hardware specs are more interesting than software ideas for a lot of people.
I'm ok with this, I'm simply posting less now, waiting for more interesting game-related info to speak about...

StevieP

Banned
John Carmack >>>>>>>>>> x 198790786876 Stevie doesn't understand technology P

Lol really john carmack doesn't have a clue, right? Haha too funny.

You're being intentionally insulting, intentionally obtuse, and you still manage to say "console GPU is 2x flops of same PC GPU, no debate" because Carmack once tweeted something vaguely referring to how consoles produce better results than the equivalent PC chip. (Hint: blu and lostinblue already explained to you how this involves software trickery, thinner APIs, etc - which you conveniently ignored)

Who understands what now?
Flops are flops. They are NOT variable. What you have is what you have.

Wii-U-Back-Ports-hdmi-usb-video-out-power-sensor-bar.jpg

What's labeled as video out should be video and audio out, just like the Wii.

I think Nintendo mentioned a couple months back that the same cabling for the Wii would work on Wii U. I wouldn't expect optical out. Besides, even if it did have optical out you wouldn't get surround. That would require Nintendo to pay a DD/DTS/etc license, I think. They're simply sending a PCM stream via HDMI (free).

Have seen a bit talk here about a Wii U GPU based on a HD 6xxx.
So maybe what I post now is old stuff but I still think it's a good summary.
It was posted on a page that I think is NOT banned here:

http://www.nintengen.com/

It says following:

Not to mention the 40nm size factor of the E6760 is exactly what Nintendo announced the size would be last year for the Wii U GPU.

Citation needed, please. As far as I know they've only mentioned a 45nm CPU.

They'll replace the private key on any systems already produced.
The story was removed, btw (or never existed), so it could just be a hoax someone made on IRC and/or GBATemp for attention or something.
I don't think Nintendo would be able to remove a document from the internet that quickly. Once something is legitimately out, it's out.

I think it's BS. Not to mention - what would Foxconn be doing with the private keys?

Lyude77

Wii U to be regional-free on day 1?
Yeah, it is pretty bad for Nintendo. Though maybe the ease of piracy will make it a success a la Playstation 1.

Another crazy idea:

Imagine a MP hide-and-seek-esque game where one player will hide 4 wiimotes throughout the room while the other play keeps his eyes closed. Then he will use the tablet as a ping/sonar-device and try to find the 4 hidden wiimotes before it's time over. The tablet holding player would have access to special powers such as making the wiimote play a quiet tune, making them vibrate, and so on (though it'd be very limited so you wouldn't be able to find all four wiimoets in this manner).
That idea is good for a mini-game. I think they did something like it for Wii Party though, can't remember.

andthebeatgoeson

If you split it, I'm out. Won't come back. It'll be annoying.

darthdago

Then there's no source, and it throws out Metaldave's article - correct?

I dont think that it throws out the article.
It depends on what you will accept as a source.
Different sites in Internet stating from Dec2011 up to now that its 40nm (or less but not likely)
OR if you want an AMD spokesperson talk about it.

For me his article is a good summary and shows what can be a possible scenario.

StevieP

Banned
I dont think that it throws out the article.
It depends on what you will accept as a source.
Different sites in Internet stating from Dec2011 up to now that its 40nm (or less but not likely)
OR if you want an AMD spokesperson talk about it.

For me his article is a good summary and shows what can be a possible scenario.

I haven't personally seen any articles claiming it was a 40nm GPU.

alfolla

Neo Member
A question for tech guys:

How can (if it can) edram affect the global performance of an embedded GPU like E6760?
Will a chip like this receive a boost or not?

Instro

No, the writer didn't ask about the Wii U, he only asked about the PS4/720, we know Dragon Quest is coming to Wii U, and this sounds more like the PS4/720 aren't giving the ram they want.

Well, unless I misread something when it was posted last night, SE never actually mentioned any consoles. Only actual quote from SE just says they expect that level of quality.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wii U Daily is a reliable source of bullshit and that's about it.

ASIS

(interesting)Speculation about the based Wii U GPU, before customization.

It means that if the WiiU GPU uses this as a base, it could have somewhere in the neighborhood of 576 GFLOPs, which according to some gets doubled when you put it in a console, so effectively makes it 1152 GFLOPs and above the 1 TFLOP marker for UE4 to 'get interesting.'

...and it means that WiiU has a very modern GPU (yes it is cos its released beginning 2012)
and it has all the modern features needed by some engines to run...

That is fantastic news! Thank god!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Fake

Just wishful thinking and this is best case scenario at this point.

Oh well, that's unfortunate; and I was pretty excited about Wii U's abilities hearing this news/rumor.

USC-fan

Banned
You mean 576GFLOPs (about 2x PS360 raw power performance) isn't even the minimum we can look at?

That is definitely not the "minimum" that is close to maximum. Again people should not worry so much about gflops. Its not an equal measurement between gpu's. Just because a gpu has 2x the flops means you could have 4x the performance or more in running games.

So these number really dont matter...

nordique

You mean 576GFLOPs (about 2x PS360 raw power performance) isn't even the minimum we can look at?

If you're going to ask about potential theoretical Wii U performance, even if its a rhetorical question, you should ask someone who has an idea about what they're talking about

(such as bg)

USC's discussion is welcomed, but sometimes his points do not follow a coherent flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom