• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

USC-fan

Banned
Yep. PS4 and Xbox 3 aren't the only consoles that will benefit from leaner APIs and other optimizations.
yep 2x baby haha ;)

I'm going to just say I was wrong on that.

I was right! It was terrible worded I think I could write better than that. But really I am surprise it not the case. Seems that would have been perfect for the gpu if they plan to off load some work. Plot thickens....

Perhaps it may be good for someone to contact the writer(s) of that article to clarify that statement.
yes it badly worded. I have search for the other interviews and found nothing.

yep 2x baby haha ;)

I was right! It was terrible worded I think I could write better than that. But really I am surprise it not the case. Seems that would have been perfect for the gpu if they plan to off load some work. Plot thickens....

What? I am so confused.

Perhaps it may be good for someone to contact the writer(s) of that article to clarify that statement.

Yeah I did some searching on Havok and didn't see anything that gave much credence to GPU accelerated physics with it. But some might choose to not use Havok and therefore use the GPU for physics if Havok is totally dependent on the CPU.

yep 2x baby haha ;)

I was wondering if you'd catch that. :p

Wii U GPU possibly more capable than a 4870 confirmed!

yep 2x baby haha ;)

What in the world are you talking about? Please give us an idea about the context of your posts......it's hard for me to read your mind and I don't want to sift through pages of posts trying to figure it out.

Am I the only one having difficulty understanding him???

Edit:

bgassassin to the rescue, thanks

What in the world are you talking about? Please give us an idea about the context of your posts......it's hard for me to read your mind and I don't want to sift through pages of posts trying to figure it out.

In his first response i think hes trying to say that developers are able to squeeze out twice as much performance on consoles as they would on a pc of similar specs because consoles are closed platform. I think.

Yeah I did some searching on Havok and didn't see anything that gave much credence to GPU accelerated physics with it. But some might choose to not use Havok and therefore use the GPU for physics if Havok is totally dependent on the CPU.
!

Yeah I remember you talking about the GPU doing the physics of Havok but I never read that in the article, it seemed to be all about the CPU:

"The demonstration as presented at GDC can be watched in the following video. The demo shown used CPU-processed physics (as opposed to GPU), which, Gargan said, would be the case when the engine runs on Wii U. More Havok videos can be found on their website."

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/interview/29477

Stewox

Banned
You're misunderstanding what I meant by that. During the tweaking phase Nintendo apparently/supposedly worked on optimizing certain engines (middleware) with the hardware to improve efficiency and performance with them on the hardware. They didn't use a spec bump for that. I was saying it would be plausible to believe that they could do the same with UE4 if needed.

This is not possible*, not in this way. I do not know what do you mean with optimizing, which part of what, doing what. No they won't do the same for UE4, they can't do it, either they make better API and SDK, or spec bump. I am 99% certain somebody that provided this was not specific enough or totally wrong, his fault for not explaining. I've been over this, I am certain, unless this was from a similar unrelated rumor, but I need to see it in full original quote.

There is some middleware provided for free to developers, nintendo does not manage it's code nor does it optimize it.

Edit:

It is like trying to read Ulysses by James Joyce for the first time with every other word and sentence mangled or removed.

I was wondering if you'd catch that. :p

Wii U GPU possibly more capable than a 4870 confirmed!

The Radeon 4850 is over 1TFLOP, so are you saying that basically performance wise the Wii U GPU will be similar to this with 600 GFLOPS in the custom closed box environment?

Unreal Engine 4 needs 1.2 TFLOPS to run properly right? Sounds like just enough for the Wii U GPU......and the train keeps a rolling...

Edit:

Yeah that was kind of an inside joke.

This is not possible*, not in this way. I do not know what do you mean with optimizing, which part of what, doing what. No the won't do the same for UE4, they can't do it, either they make better API and SDK, or spec bump. I am 99% certain somebody that provided this was not specific enough or totally wrong, his fault for not explaining.

There is some middleware provided for free to developers, nintendo does not manage it's code nor does it optimize it.

I'm referring to something I (we) heard that Li Mu Bai confirmed.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1637040&postcount=969

The Radeon 4850 is over 1TFLOP, so are you saying that basically performance wise the Wii U GPU will be similar to this with 600 GFLOPS in the custom closed box environment?

Unreal Engine 4 needs 1.2 TFLOPS to run properly right? Sounds like just enough for the Wii U GPU......and the train keeps a rolling...

Remember The Great Carmack Debate in this thread? According to that at 600-800 GFLOPs, Wii U's GPU would be on par or better than a 4870. :p

Remember The Great Carmack Debate in this thread? According to that at 600-800 GFLOPs, Wii U's GPU would be on par or better than a 4870. :p

Well I do believe that greater performance is achieved in a closed box environment, but how much of that discussion was just bullshit and shouldn't be believed?

Greater than a 4870 just a joke, or is there some truth to that?

Well I do believe that greater performance is achieved in a closed box environment, but how much of that discussion was just bullshit and shouldn't be believed?

Just a joke. :)

We did continue it over on B3D though.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62135

I know I heard rumors saying the GPU was 4870, did that come of anything?.

We had someone who could finally translate that for us and while my memory is failing me right now, I believe that came from someone not with AMD like originally believed and it was just a rumor.

I know I heard rumors saying the GPU was 4870, did that come of anything?.

I'm just talking about performance with GFLOPS/TFLOPS, the GPU architecture is based on the R700 line but the final GPU will be custom and very different from a 4870. The features of Wii U's GPU should be a lot more rich than a 4870 as well.

Meelow

Banned
Just a joke. :)

We did continue it over on B3D though.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62135

We had someone who could finally translate that for us and while my memory is failing me right now, I believe that came from someone not with AMD like original believed and it was just a rumor.

Ahh...Ok.

I'm just talking about performance with GFLOPS/TFLOPS, the GPU architecture is based on the R700 line but the final GPU will be custom and very different from a 4870. The features of Wii U's GPU should be a lot more rich than a 4870 as well.

Well that's good :).

P.S This is completely off topic but I posted 300 post and I'm still Junior member, does anyone know what I should do?.

P.S This is completely off topic but I posted 300 post and I'm still Junior member, does anyone know what I should do?.

Supposedly you need to be a Junior Member for 150 days too......

OfficeSpaceTheMemo.jpg

Did you see the memo about this?

Had to do it! :)

Meelow

Banned
When was your account approved though? That's when the timer starts.

2 weeks ago, but I know some people that made there account after mine and got accepted the same time as me and is now full member...Weird, It will probably be fixed after or something.

Nope
I was approved about a week and a half ago with a March account and I'm already a member.

Meelow, give it some time... it doesn't upgrade automatically

That's what I thought, anyway back to talking about Wii U.

Instro

2 weeks ago, but I know some people that made there account after mine and got accepted the same time as me and is now full member...Weird, It will probably be fixed after or something.

Well that's not how it used to work, unless they have dropped the 90 day period. In which case, if you meet the requirements then the system should upgrade you in the next 24 hours.

Pineconn

Nope
I was approved about a week and a half ago with a March account and I'm already a member.

I hate you.
:)

Signed,
Jealous

I should post more, but I'm stuck in a work-nap-game-sleep cycle that I can't break. My summer is wasting away...

Drago

Well that's not how it used to work, unless they have dropped the 90 day period. In which case, if you meet the requirements then the system should upgrade you in the next 24 hours.
The 90 day period is still there but it starts from when you made the account, not when it was activated. I didn't start posting until 90 days had already passed so as soon as I got to 300 I was good to go. :)

Edit: Congrats on the membership, Meelow. ;)

Meelow

Banned
The 90 day period is still there but it starts from when you made the account, not when it was activated. I didn't start posting until 90 days had already passed so as soon as I got to 300 I was good to go. :)

Edit: Congrats on the membership, Meelow. ;)

Lol thanks for making me notice :D.

Now I could slow down on posting lol (the last two days I posted a lot just so I can do it).

Instro

How strange, 90 days from account creation seems pointless considering it usually takes a significant amount of time to get approved anyway.

Here's a question...

Do you think Nintendo will add a wrist strap for the GamePad? I've dropped just about every controller I ever had at least once and I'd hate to see how the GamePad ends up, considering I don't have a carpeted floor.

Damn your joke! That ain't funny man

lol

Well at least we can hang on to those modern features of the GPU. I'll stick to expecting 600 GFLOPS and try to remain satisfied with that (which I was until your joke hehe).

Haha. After today I'm mostly satisfied with Wii U. I've given up on USB 3.0 ports.

Here's a question...

Do you think Nintendo will add a wrist strap for the GamePad? I've dropped just about every controller I ever had at least once and I'd hate to see how the GamePad ends up, considering I don't have a carpeted floor.

I'm going with no as I think Nintendo expects people won't be making the same motions as with the Wiimote.

Pineconn

Lol thanks for making me notice :D.

Now I could slow down on posting lol (the last two days I posted a lot just so I can do it).
Haha. Figures it goes through just like that. Congrats.

My random thought of the day: I'm way more excited about the built-in TV control functionality than I should be. I guess with the Wii, it was annoying to have to grab three items (TV remote, Wiimote, nunchuk) and, well, I have only two hands. Shocking. It's going to be nice having to pick up just the GamePad to start gaming.

The only thing is, I hope there's an input toggle button on the GUI. If not, you'll still need your remote if you just watched TV.

Drago

So, just a few questions about the WiiU... just respond with yes or no.

-It is more powerful than PS360
-It can run CryEngine3 and UE4, but Epic won't port their engine themselves
-More games are coming, we just need to wait
-It could handle PS4/720 games (if they aren't super powerful) but they won't look as good
-Overall, it is a capable machine, if a little underwhelming

So? :)

Meelow

Banned

-It could handle PS4/720 games (if they aren't super powerful) but they won't look as good

-Yes
-Yes
-Yes
-Mostly yes
-Yes

Ryoku

FLOPs aside, what is the performance of an e6760? I mean, what is the most comparable desktop GPU with regards to performance? I'm asking since I can't seem to find any benchmarks. Somewhere between a 4850 and a 4870, since it seems that an e6760 is more capable than a 4850?

Stewox

Banned

He doesn't say it in your face, you have to listen his words carefully

Snippet from John Carmack:
"it is unhappily true that we have these consoles here running at sixty frames per second, and we could have these massively more powerful PC systems that struggle sometimes to hold the same framerate because of unnecessary overheads. If we were programming that hardware directly on the metal the same way we do consoles, it would be significantly more powerful."

And just to put that into perspective here's a twitter post of one example: https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/30655938016837632

So yeah, don't worry about 900 GFLOPs, the ability to bypass APIs will effectively practically make it 1.5 TFLOPS, not literally speaking. It just needs more harder effort to make it happen :)

About drivers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapCuhAs1nA&feature=player_detailpage#t=157s

So nobody brings any speculation up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxFdsEtr-TY&feature=player_detailpage#t=261s
If IDTech5 can make it why UE4 can't :)

Roo

Here's a question...

I'm going with no as I think Nintendo expects people won't be making the same motions as with the Wiimote.

In other words.... get a couple of these:

SoftFloor.jpg

Pineconn

The sooner you realize that USB 3.0 is a pipe dream, the closer you get to happiness. Or something.

I'll make a video of me doing something horribly unpleasant if the initial production of Wii U includes USB 3.0. Maybe eating steamed broccoli... without cheese.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So yeah, don't worry about 900 GFLOPs, the ability to bypass APIs will effectively practically make it 1.5 TFLOPS, not literally speaking. It just needs more harder effort to make it happen :)
'Not literally speaking' is putting it very mildly. The less such quantizations are made, the better.

USC-fan

Banned
He doesn't say it in your face, you have to listen his words carefully

Snippet from John Carmack:
"it is unhappily true that we have these consoles here running at sixty frames per second, and we could have these massively more powerful PC systems that struggle sometimes to hold the same framerate because of unnecessary overheads. If we were programming that hardware directly on the metal the same way we do consoles, it would be significantly more powerful."

And just to put that into perspective here's a twitter post of one example: https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/30655938016837632

About drivers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapCuhAs1nA&feature=player_detailpage#t=157s

So nobody brings any speculation up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxFdsEtr-TY&feature=player_detailpage#t=261s
If IDTech5 can make it why UE4 can't :)
Lol thread really going in a circle... at least it not me this time... haha

Incoming.....

FLOPs aside, what is the performance of an e6760? I mean, what is the most comparable desktop GPU with regards to performance? I'm asking since I can't seem to find any benchmarks. Somewhere between a 4850 and a 4870, since it seems that an e6760 is more capable than a 4850?
maybe a over clock 4670.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Responding with more than just yes and no.

- Yes, it should be about to produce better looking games in the long run.
- It can already run CryEngine 3. It can probably run Unreal Engine 4. Epic won't port it as it is not in their best interest.
- Games exist that haven't been announced.
- Depends on the game, and the game engine.
- It can play fun games. It won't get every game from next generation, or the current. Enjoy what it is, not what it isn't.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Responding with more than just yes and no.

- Yes, it should be about to produce better looking games in the long run.
- It can already run CryEngine 3. It can probably run Unreal Engine 4. Epic won't port it as it is not in their best interest.
- Games exist that haven't been announced.
- Depends on the game, and the game engine.
- It can play fun games. It won't get every game from next generation, or the current. Enjoy what it is, not what it isn't.

I like your reply.
I would just say that after the officiale sentences from Epic it CAN run the Engine in its not high profile version (but probably we'll see very few games exploiting it on Wii U).

I'll just change this post, what Wii U games do you hope comes to the Wii U?.

I would like to see some Capcom + EA (core) support for the console, pluse a little bit more of SE and Namco love.
The ideal situation would be the Ubisoft approach: they are proposing both AAA titles (with Assassins creed) and minor (in terms of budgets) but interesting exclusives (that could be multiplat in the future, but they are clearly studied with the gamepad in mind) like Zombi or Rayman. But also if I think that no other company will support the Wii U this way, I would like to see not only the obvious (like Fifa or CoD that was also on the Wii) but also some projects that can testify a slight change of perspective from the Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom