• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did the same shit with the Wii.

Nintendo's marketing is really weird, but it always seems to work out for them.

Heh. In some other markets, it's pretty normal to not advertise for a product before you're ready to sell it. The video game market is particularly interesting. The Ouya example in particular is pretty great in that it's advertising before the product has had its basic design put together, though its method of sourcing makes it a rather special case.

Banned
I doubt it, third-parties are aware of the precise launching date since a few months now, at least for Japan and North-America.
September 23rd! I'm banking on it. Im betting 14 Pikmin's.
Yep, unless they want to launch for $800 or release 2014 or later.

I doubt MS/Sony can afford to give Nintendo a full two year head start. That's why 2013 is what I'd expect them to target (thus with specs significantly weaker than these kepler/i7 setups).
I get the feeling sony and Microsoft think the Wii was a fluke and console sales will return to "normal" next gen. I don't think they take Nintendo seriously as a competitor and won't care about releasing their consoles two years later (kinda like Xbox and GameCube coming out two years after dreamcast).

AzaK

Tomorrow and thursday. 99% sure it will just be Madden and FIFA, but that's still better than the radio silence since E3.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not interested in those games other than on an intellectual level as to how they are using the system and what they might look like.

4 months to go and still nothing concrete re the third parties....Nintendo, you realise you're releasing a new console soon right?

Steph_E.

Black is sexy, the black Wii really does bring a whole new view on the system.

But white is the only way to go for Wii consoles... it just makes more sense. :p

I have already pre-ordered a black version and a white version from Game in the UK - just to be on the safe side. I don't want to miss out on it day 1 becuase I ordered the wrong colour and had to go to the end of the queue.

Steph_E.

I have just noticed Game's website has a buying guide for consoles. It says the Wii U is for "Mums, kids and teenagers", so I suppose I had better cancel my pre-order as I don't meet any of those criteria. What should I get instead? Based on their thinking, none of the consoles look suitable for me (not being a dad, mum, teenager, kid, child, fitness fanatic, techie, or gamer on the move) - looks like I'll have to give up gaming.

Tomorrow and thursday. 99% sure it will just be Madden and FIFA, but that's still better than the radio silence since E3.

Hopefully we get the next Tiger Woods on time next year. I know Nintendo filed a patent regarding the golf ball on the Gamepad, but there must be some slight change EA can make to get around that. It's actually kind of annoying. That was one of the coolest ideas shown at last year's E3 and now Wii U Sports is nowhere to be found.

Glass Joe

Hopefully we get the next Tiger Woods on time next year. I know Nintendo filed a patent regarding the golf ball on the Gamepad, but there must be some slight change EA can make to get around that. It's actually kind of annoying. That was one of the coolest ideas shown at last year's E3 and now Wii U Sports is nowhere to be found.

It IS weird, isn't it? Due to the overwhelming success of Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, I would have expected a Wii Sports U on day 1. Especially since the Golf demo is one of the first things they showed off last year, in addition to baseball. It's odd how it disappeared from the radar.

Regular tennis was conspicuously missing from Resort, though it did have ping-pong. A high def version of that would be nice. Bowling was already pretty much perfect on Resort, so maybe just some options like story mode, different ball weights, online leagues, etc.

NateDrake

It IS weird, isn't it? Due to the overwhelming success of Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, I would have expected a Wii Sports U on day 1. Especially since the Golf demo is one of the first things they showed off last year, in addition to baseball. It's odd how it disappeared from the radar.

Regular tennis was conspicuously missing from Resort, though it did have ping-pong. A high def version of that would be nice. Bowling was already pretty much perfect on Resort, so maybe just some options like story mode, different ball weights, online leagues, etc.

I was thinking Wii Sports U would be part of Nintendo Land since they still have a handful of games to announce for it, if I remember correctly. Either way, Wii Sports U needs to release within the first 6 months.

Wow never really thought about that but a "story" mode would be pretty cool for some of those Wii Sports games. Besides bowling, I think it could work well with Tennis and Golf as well. Adding some light rpg elements and online would really add a lot more depth and replay value as well. Of course quick-play options could still be there for those who just want to play a game or two for fun.

Damn, now I really want Wii U sports. :p

Let me be the first to say that this thread looks like it needs sprucing up. Some antagonism would actually be nice for a change. Barring that, an injection of fresh news or rumors could help move things along.

Here are some gameplay innovations
to toss out there.

When two pads are actually playable at the same time down the road, would it not be cool to have 2-4 players traveling in a party and equipping stuff on their own screens? Players 3 and 4 could use maybe use 3DS and play along. I think this would not be too taxing, to just have menus going on at the same time. The main game could be on the tv. While in battle you could have players drawing spells on all of the different touch screens, or rummaging through their inventory to find the right item.

I think that games could be retrofitted to enable this too. Think about all of the times you were sitting there watching somebody play FF for NES or somebody was watching you play. Now, especially with games that are not graphically intensive, you could theoretically both join in on old games like that. What about games like Gauntlet that could use this feature?

How about an updated Shadowgate, Uninvited or Deja Vu? One player could be moving the character through the rooms on the big screen while the other player (an assistant perhaps?) mixes potions, tries out spells by drawing runes, or burns objects with torches. Maybe they are in seperate parts of the mansion or the city or whatever, and they have to do different things to proceed on their adventure together.

Achievements/Brag system

Think about all of the myriad accomplishments on Nintendo games that only you know about. Did you ever:

Beat Zelda or Metroid for NES in under 2 hours and get everything?

Beat either of them without dying once?

TKO Mike Tyson or Kid Dream on Punchout!?

Beat that one asshole at the end of Strider for NES?

Smack the snot out of Dr. Wiley's pet on Megaman without pausing the game?

Beat Solomon's Key without continuing?

Beat Gyruss by Konami on NES without continuing?

My point is, that these are real achievements that are probably burned into your memories but nobody else knows about them. They are probably a hell of a lot more significant and noteworthy accomplishments than say... getting 10/10 achievement points just for getting fifty melee kills in whatever FPS shooter of the month people are playing right now.

What If you re-did all of your accomplishments from older games and got reedemable points for them to put towards the purchase of whatever Nintendo merchandise you wanted? I think it would it would drives sales of e-shop games and drive awareness of all Nintendo products on a macro level also.

Just something to chew on.

jacksrb

I was thinking Wii Sports U would be part of Nintendo Land since they still have a handful of games to announce for it, if I remember correctly. Either way, Wii Sports U needs to release within the first 6 months.

Although they think want people to associate Nintendo Land with Wii Sports as far as "software that is proof of compelling software you can't do on another system" - they want to also distance themselves from it as many people think of Wii Sports as so simple/shallow.

Also, Ubisoft's Sports Connections has some of that ground covered. I don't know about seeing the lie of your golf ball on the ground, but the baseball game has you tracking fly balls with the gamepad screen to catch it like the demo reel from E3 2011.

Sadist

http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/17/pachter-on-the-case-for-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-on-the-wii-u/

Hahahahahaha

“I am putting two and two together to conclude that Activision put pressure on them,” Pachter said to GamesBeat. “I do not know this either first-hand or third-hand; nobody told me. I am merely deducing it from what we know, and it’s an educated guess.”

And as a bonus added by Dean Takahashi

After all, you can’t really play blockbuster games like the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops II with the Wii U’s tablet controller.

Tsk tsk

Heathbar

Neo Member
Think about all of the myriad accomplishments on Nintendo games that only you know about. Did you ever:

My point is, that these are real achievements that are probably burned into your memories but nobody else knows about them. They are probably a hell of a lot more significant and noteworthy accomplishments than say... getting 10/10 achievement points just for getting fifty melee kills in whatever FPS shooter of the month people are playing right now.

I like this idea both in terms of adding some new challenges to VC titles and adding to real value/challenge to the idea of achievements, trophies, etc. I don't thinks we would be any worse of if there were no 10 point achievements or bronze trophies in PS360 games. Further, not every game needs or even benefits from achievements or trophies (esp if it is meant to be more experiential).

JordanN

Banned
Went into my local Gamestation today. They still have no idea when it's launching and the price. They basically said there is zero interest in it at the moment.

Nintendo. What the fuck do you think you are doing?
I still don't get why people are whining about the price/launch. You guys do know the 3DS didn't get such details till 2 months before launch (I'm speaking for North America of course). So where is this expectation coming from they'll announce it anytime soon?

By the way, are you going to delete your avatar?

Hoodbury

Random Nintendo thoughts of the day

Things Nintendo still hasn't mentioned about the Wii-U yet:

1. Will we get demo's - I'd say this is pretty much confirmed since the 3DS gets them, but I still wouldn't mind an official confirmation.
2. Will we get Beta's - I honestly don't see Nintendo doing beta's for any of their games, but I wonder if third parties can?
3. Headsets - will they be more open to allowing any headset that is USB or will they be restrictive again like they were with the Wii?
4. Mii's - will they get an update from the Wii/3DS? They're pretty plain, will they allow more customization of them like clothes, etc, unlockables, etc.

prag16

Banned
Oh Pachter!! I never liked this guy. I'd like to see if he is in denial that he hates Nintendo or not. But he's a good joker.

Pachter is terrible. He seems to have a pro MSFT bias, and any speculation buy him is more likely to be BS than not, from what I've seen the last several years. As in flipping a coin has a better success rate than this "expert analyst".

1. Will we get demo's - I'd say this is pretty much confirmed since the 3DS gets them, but I still wouldn't mind an official confirmation.
2. Will we get Beta's - I honestly don't see Nintendo doing beta's for any of their games, but I wonder if third parties can?
3. Headsets - will they be more open to allowing any headset that is USB or will they be restrictive again like they were with the Wii?
4. Mii's - will they get an update from the Wii/3DS? They're pretty plain, will they allow more customization of them like clothes, etc, unlockables, etc.

Those are excellent thoughts. I definitely want demos and betas on Wii U. Betas seems particularly interesting to me.

Companies such as PDP, MadCatz, and Lygo are planning to produce Wii U headsets. I'm not sure if any USB headset will work, but it already seems better than Wii Speak.

I hope we'll have much more customization options with it comes to Miis. I like how flexible you could be with Miis and facial features, but more hairstyles and especially clothing would be nice. I think you are able to customize Miis in games like Fortune Street, but the Wii U should be able to do this from the start.

vly1p.png

Miis seem to have different clothing in the Nintendo Land hub, and I hope that isn't restricted to just Nintendo Land.

Speaking of Nintendo Land, I really hope they clean up that hub. I know it's supposed to be an amusement park, but it still looks really cluttered and almost too colorful.

Madn

I've just read an article that managed to transform Iwata's quote: "Nintendo won't make games like CoD" into: "no fps on Wii U". Now that's impressive

Miis seem to have different clothing in the Nintendo Land hub, and I hope that isn't restricted to just Nintendo Land.

Speaking of Nintendo Land, I really hope they clean up that hub. I know it's supposed to be an amusement park, but it still looks really cluttered and almost too colorful.

Hey, look at that! Nice observation. And I agree about the Nintendo Land hub. It doesn't do much for me, and doesn't even really resemble an amusement park all that much. Too circular.

ASIS

Hey, look at that! Nice observation. And I agree about the Nintendo Land hub. It doesn't do much for me, and doesn't even really resemble an amusement park all that much. Too circular.

Yeah, having those "gates" arranged in a circle does nothing for me. I hope they manage to switch it up a bit. Or, at the very least, have the gates lead to several other attraction. That would make it look more like a theme park IMO.

But its not going to happen, I know. Mini games do look good though.

jmizzal

Nintendo has not talked about online at all since they reviled Nintendo network. They have a lot of stuff to talk about before, WiiU launch.

Full online details
Wii to WiiU transfers and accounts how will it work
Japanese software support
Activision and EA support - We should get some EA info tomorrow
2013 games

Hoodbury

Hey, look at that! Nice observation. And I agree about the Nintendo Land hub. It doesn't do much for me, and doesn't even really resemble an amusement park all that much. No Monorail.

Fixed :p

Hmm, ya I guess the nintendo land mii's had a bit more too them, but I'm pretty sure there were other videos or screen shots of mii's somewhere and they were back to plain. I think it was on Miiverse where they were just plain.

Banned
"man I'm sick of these dudebro shooters being all grey and brown. That's why I like Nintendo games, they use colorful art styles."

"NintendoLand is too colorful".

Smh......lol

ASIS

"man I'm sick of these dudebro shooters being all grey and brown. That's why I like Nintendo games, they use colorful art styles."

"NintendoLand is too colorful".

Smh......lol

There is such a thing called balance. There's no need to go in either extreme. Furthermore, GAF does not have one opinion. I, for one, really do like Killzone's look, even if I am not a fan of the series myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom