• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you happen to have a job writing for one of those sites, it should be in your skillset to come up with a clever way to do that.

There might be ways to spice up the format, but it's irrelevant when the type of person that'll click on an entirely content-free speculative piece, is the same type of person who is attracted to the "X things that Y" template.

And yes, publishers of Wii U launch titles should be bombarding the press right now with new content, but for whatever reason, they aren't. Not sure if it's a decision of the publishers themselves, Nintendo enforcing silly NDAs, or MS/Sony quietly 'encouraging' them not to go all-out in their promotion. It's frustrating, whatever the circumstances are.

Meelow

Banned
Get on the "Wii U ? Eh, might as well." train instead. It's not a real train in so much as it is a twenty year old van, with the word 'train' written on one side. There's an old radio that's stuck at a dubstep radio channel, the windows are broken and it smells kinda like dead fish in there. We also have a poster of Reggie inside, though it has some weird white stains.

Tempting...Maybe.

Banned
When I was a lurker I witnessed a tremendous hype train crash. I've decided to board a hype van instead. Less gruesome and dangerous.

lightbox

For those of you who can't afford the van, ThunderMonkey is driving his own hype van around too. He's a good driver. You can trust him.

van2.jpg

They say this will never happen. I say it is too good to NOT happen.

If Nintendo wants infinite money, they will make it happen.

That's probably going to be in development after they make a ridiculous fortune with Pokemon figurines utilising NFC technology. Although I guess they could combine the two in some way..?

Not enough people have grasped the money making potential in NFC figurines imo, it certainly hasn't had a great deal of coverage in the video gaming press so far.

For those of you who can't afford the van, ThunderMonkey is driving his own hype van around too. He's a good driver. You can trust him.

van2.jpg

I'd be up for that ride. Money's not the only way to pay for a service, and I'm glad there are others who think the same.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Even though I'm disappointed that Nintendo hasn't shown or confirmed some key details, my hype train is picking up speed.

The thing plays all my Wii stuff. I still play Wii games all the time.

It shouldn't be very expensive, by console launch standards.

I actually like the controller idea.

After playing New Play Control Pikmin 1 and 2, I need Pikmin 3 in my life.

I like NSMB.

I need to be cloned five times so I can have P-100 in my life five times over.

I'm already passing on games like Darksiders II and Sonic Racing Transformed to bank on the Wii U versions being Superior Confirmed.

Oh yeah, and Retro + EAD games created on contemporary hardware. It doesn't matter what's coming, whatever it is, you know it's going to be something to see.

If it gets confirmed that all Wiiware / Virtual Console games can be played on the padlet, another great perk. I actually think classic games are worth buying and use the VC all the time.

To be honest, due to the apparently complete continuity with the Wii that Wii U is built around, I see it as more of an upgrade to the Wii rather than a replacement, and I don't think that's a bad thing. A lot of people will pay $300 for a new video card just to play one game, and yet see that as normal.

Pittree

After reading the impressions from Daniel Krupa on All Star Racing Transformed, some things caught my attention.

First he mentions that switching to pad in mid-race would be too disorienting, then he said that "it’s unlikely you’ll divide your attention" between what's on screen and the info on the pad, but at the end he mentions that the biggest advantage of the pad is asymmetrical gameplay while playing minigames. These are all valid points. However after playing Mario Kart on DS and then on 3DS I found a lot more useful and not disorienting using the second screen to see my position or what item is just about to hit me. And while I have no doubt the minigames are going to be a nice extra, they don't sound as game changers for me. What do you think about his opinions? Do you think the larger distance between TV and gamepad (larger than on the 3DS at least) would make things somewhat more confusing?, or maybe his opinions are more just a matter of taste.

I've been contemplating getting money together to get one with ME3 and Pikmin 3.

I will try to stay strong and say "NO!" but I really don't know if I can. But I will. Because $400 or more might be hard to come by.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
After reading the impressions from Daniel Krupa on All Star Racing Transformed, some things caught my attention.

First he mentions that switching to pad in mid-race would be too disorienting, then he said that "it’s unlikely you’ll divide your attention" between what's on screen and the info on the pad, but at the end he mentions that the biggest advantage of the pad is asymmetrical gameplay while playing minigames. These are all valid points. However after playing Mario Kart on DS and then on 3DS I found a lot more useful and not disorienting using the second screen to see my position or what item is just about to hit me. And while I have no doubt the minigames are going to be a nice extra, they don't sound as game changers for me. What do you think about his opinions? Do you think the larger distance between TV and gamepad (larger than on the 3DS at least) would make things somewhat more confusing?, or maybe his opinions are more just a matter of taste.

I don't see that being disorienting at all. Not sure why the complaints are there. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if the transition took place during a transformation and the game slowed down just a hitch while your car transformed, allowing you to transfer vision.

those are "simple" functions, but to me are selling point.
be able to play this arcade style game with the motion sensors, tv-free e possibly 5 local multiplayer (1 gamepad + 4 remotes) is really cool, without mentioning the map/radar function
Yes I know thats why I love it so much its simple but hey. Hopefully second screen could also be a rear view mirror, or behind button.

Haha.

Seems like everyone is getting ready to get back to the Hype Train.
This is how I like it. No scrubs coming in debbie downing stuff. No arguments. Just good hype and discussion.

wow it's heated around here °_°

Just a notice: prepare some clean footage of third-parties builds from E3 (and also Comicon) to compare them with what we'll see at Gamescom in a few days :)

I declare open the UHPUTWUL* (pronounced YouPouteWoule) !!!

H Y P E !!

* Ultra Hyping Period Until The Wii U Launch

Will we get new details too? Be nice to get some native resolutions sorted for more games (for arguments sake.)

funny little insider story I heard today:

Nintendo first sent old devkits with old SDKs to publishers to present their gamescon
code. it was a struggle for some publishers to receive up to date hardware to be able to present new builds. some gameplay code you will see might therefore be a couple of month old.

Firest0rm

Here is a truth about people: they simultaneously want to be engaged out of their boredom and cynicsm, but are also risk-adversive and don't want anything to actually change.

This paradox seems to be at the root of much of humanity's story. So no surprise it filters down to things like video games.

I had always felt, regarding the Wii, that the 'hardcore' gamer reaction to it was hilarious and sad. The Wii wasn't a new gimmick at all. It was merely an old "gimmick" updated with better technology. People who grew up in arcades were quite familiar with the so-called gimmick the Wii was predicated on. Motion control, interacting with games as physical experiences, from shooting, to racing, to dancing, to skiing. Using firehoses, swinging virtual golf clubs, whacking giant boxing trainer pads with your actual fists.

Those kinds of things appealed to the average person, they had to, because they were machines places in public on the street that had to attract actual mainstream people to step up and put a coin in. Despite what a lot of allegedly hardcore gamers think, people in the mainstream are enchanted by novelty and actually will try something fun and different. It is nerds and geeks who are insecure about their image, seem to have a sour frown on much of the time, and struggle to appear sophisticated in their pastimes. Mainstream people go to amusement parks and get in log rides that end up with them yelling, whooping, screaming, and getting drenched soaking wet in public. Bitter asinine people sit at home afraid of looking foolish. The internet is a great window for such risk-adversive shut-ins to view the world through.

I suppose the problem is that much of technology and technological entertainment has become marketed at the latter demographic.

Great post, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Sadist

He said it best:
Feels good man

funny little insider story I heard today:

Nintendo first sent old devkits with old SDKs to publishers to present their gamescon
code. it was a struggle for some publishers to receive up to date hardware to be able to present new builds. some gameplay code you will see might therefore be a couple of month old.
Interesting.

So, seeing Ideaman's post we can expect more Wii U news? Well that's cool. I'm not expecting much though. Btw, the IGN article regarding Sonic & Sega ASRT mentions that F1 Racestars won't release on Wii U. Guess Codemasters ditched their original Wii U plans?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Honestly, I never understood the obsession with third party support on Nintendo consoles, which as far as I can tell is what the vast majority of the hardware debate revolves around.

I'm assuming most of the people in this thread have been playing on Nintendo platforms since at least the GameCube era, if not the N64 era. For anyone who has, they have been through at least two, if not three generations of Nintendo not having third party support, yet are still interested enough to spend tons of hours debating Nintendo's next console and eagerly anticipating picking it up.

It's been 6 years since the Wii came out and 11 years since the GameCube released. Surely most of you must be at least nearing the age where you're entering the work force. Now, if you're in absolutely dire financial straights (at which point buying the Wii U might be kind of questionable) or still in your teens, I can appreciate the monetary issues in picking up multiple boxes to play a majority of the games you want, but still I feel this can't seriously apply to even the majority of people who seem upset about the potential for a fair amount of third party games not showing up on the system.

I feel it takes all of 30 seconds looking at the Wii's line-up to tell that the Wii U's hardware power will be more than good enough for Nintendo to make great games. Let's say the worst case scenario happens and there's barely any third party support for the system. Is it really the end of the world to go pick up a second box 2-3 years after the Wii U comes out? The other systems will probably have some pretty good deals going by then and a bunch of cheap/great third party games that can be bought for $10 used.

I mean, for every generation so far, I've had to save up money for quite a while when I wanted to get a new platform, but by shopping around and being careful, it really wasn't that much of a burden, and I definitely didn't come from a background of great or even moderate means. That's finally changed now, but I just have trouble seeing how this issue alone could be the lynchpin for all of this.

Now, if the controller is the sticking point for some people, I can appreciate that, but let's be honest, so far with every unique console controller since the multiplatform trend started, almost every multiplatform developer really, really doesn't care to do a good job. Almost every stand out example I can think of is either a first party game, or a third party exclusive, and thus the ability to run every game the other systems has really isn't important for that either.

Is there something else I'm missing that makes it critical that Nintendo have almost every third party game, and thus the hardware needed to run them? This is a serious, honest question, because I'm really having trouble fully understanding the issue.

My main problem with third party support on Nintendo platforms is that I'd like to see different and curious uses of nintendo consoles interfaces. in fact, I never complaint about lack of third part support before the DS, but with both the DS and the Wii, that were different from the competitors in terms of interfaces, I started to wish for more committment from other companies outside Nintendo.

This because I'd like to see, I don't know...Fps with the remote, for example. And Nintendo historically/statistically would offer "just" Metroid, to show the use of the remote in the fps genre. So, if someone else (activision with Cod and Goldeneye?) try to properly support the console, I'm ver happy about this aspect.

And the same for the DS/3DS (that is very similar to the DS, but the dual screen approach and the stylus touch control are still "different" from the competition) and obviously with the gamepad of the Wii U.

I'd love to see, for example, RE6 or DS3 playable on the gamepad, but also allowing you to play them in local coop withou the splitscreen (always due to the tv-free possibility), or showing you (especiall for DS3) the equipment and the map and the tracker directly on the pad, without mentioning the "door lock" minigames on the touch and so on...

Nintendo cannot cover all the genre with adequate qualit, obviously, so I'd like to see more third party efforts on the console.

Plus, I usuall buy man consoles, but time/space/mone are becoming more and more difficult to save for the videogame hobby, due to my "new life" (growing you have more responsability and less free time...) so also having the chance to have just one console would be positive.

Also if I have to admint that the perfect situation to me is: a console for the massive multiplatform development and one console for minor more niche but often ver interesting third party titles (as the wii was in the first couple of years)

:)

Penguin

So reading the Sonic Racing preview.. kind of sucks that there doesn't seem to be a uniformed and easy way for all games to do TV-controller/controller-TV swap.

I think Me 3 uses a button and now Sonic uses swipe up or down motion

Well, I abandoned this thread for a while. I wish it was back over in gaming side, I keep forgetting this is still around over here. Looks like you guys are keeping the dream alive, though.

Anyway, what's this talk about news at gamescom?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
reggietransparentt7bxj.png

I like this hype, Ideaman. Hopefully a Nintendo Direct broadcast will spawn from its wake. The train will have to do without me for a little while longer though.

AzaK

Time to get back on the HYPE train.
Nope

I don't know if I should get on the hype train...Should I?.
nope

At this point, what do you have to lose?
Everything

Those "why does this game need a touch screen? why does it need to be on Wii U?" nonsense is what irritates me the most. I heard that during E3 in relation to Rayman Legends being exclusive. Some would prefer it if the game just came out on everything so they wouldn't have to play it on the Wii U which would require adapting to a different system. Do you EVER hear people say "why is this game on 360? why is this game on PS3? why is this game on PC? they could've done this on any other platform." No, you don't. Why? Because they already own those. "New features? Pah! Don't need those, the old game was fun without them." ...
Your whole post was well said but this part really stuck out. I hear it all the time too and it's so annoying. I feel Nintendo are screwed in the eyes of the gaming press. No matter what they do they won't be good enough. By being very different this generation with the Wii controller, and both this and next gen obviously not being cutting edge graphically, it seems like the press are happy to write them off. Those two "negatives" give the press quite a bit of ammo because they can trot out their hate with every game that comes along.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
My contribution of the day !!!

uGDZS.gif

Thanks to WiiUAndMii on the irc for the original gif, and to whoever is the author, i hope you don't mind my frenetic pimpin' :p

prag16

Banned
Exclusive? Or in addition to consoles?

I think he means "in addition".

I've heard the same thing a bunch of times "oh, this game didn't *need* a PC port..." Usually because they assume (a) can't sit on couch, (b) hate for mouse/keyboard controls, or disbelief that somebody would actually use a gamepad on PC, or (c) assuming sales will be worse on PC than the console versions (usually true probably), or (d) some combination of a, b, and c.

japtor

To touch on a different more actual news worthy subject:

How do you suspect will Nintendo go about the Digital Versions of their WiiU games. Will they demand 3rd parties to price them similar to them (overpriced to hell and back basically) or will they let 3rd parties decide the prices. With the current NSMB2 digital pricepoint fiasko (40 pound for a freaking 3DS game) and Nintendos abysmal account system, that we have to asume so far will also tie accounts to the WiiU (but now you can lose up to 12 accounts when your console is stolen), I'm wondering if Nintendo might actually be able to completely sabotage their online offering at launch and beyond.

With how slow Nintendo works on the online front, I wouldn't be surprised if their efforts for the WiiU online library are comparable disgusting money grabs like their 3DS offerings.

I guess one could allways hope that retailers will carry download coupons at reasonable prices, but what about Digital only games? Stuff like Lost Winds or Toki Tori2? Will those be able to price themselves competitively or will Nintendo once again cockblock any attempt of 3rd parties to entice downloads by pricing their games accordingly.
Publishers would probably want to price their digital games as high as possible too, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same retail as the boxed copies.  That said if anyone wants to price lower I don't think Nintendo would stop them (to a point at least).  Retailers will be able to price digital games themselves, but the (supposedly?) higher wholesale price might negate the ability to discount them too much.
wow it's heated around here °_°

Just a notice: prepare some clean footage of third-parties builds from E3 (and also Comicon) to compare them with what we'll see at Gamescom in a few days :)

I declare open the UHPUTWUL* (pronounced YouPouteWoule) !!!

H Y P E !!

* Ultra Hyping Period Until The Wii U Launch
Did you hijack MDX's account and post that super crazy shit so your subsequent hype post doesn't seem as bad by comparison?

First he mentions that switching to pad in mid-race would be too disorienting, then he said that "it’s unlikely you’ll divide your attention" between what's on screen and the info on the pad, but at the end he mentions that the biggest advantage of the pad is asymmetrical gameplay while playing minigames. These are all valid points. However after playing Mario Kart on DS and then on 3DS I found a lot more useful and not disorienting using the second screen to see  my position or what item is just about to hit me. And while I have no doubt the minigames are going to be a nice extra, they don't sound as game changers for me. What do you think about his opinions? Do you think the larger distance between TV and gamepad (larger than on the 3DS at least) would make things somewhat more confusing?, or maybe his opinions are more just a matter of taste.
There's a major disconnect with the separate screens vs the handhelds.  With the DS/3DS they're right next to each other and both screens are more or less within view of each other when playing, which is why games that span the screens work ok.  With the Wii U you can completely lose sight of the other screen unless you're holding the controller up, and even then there's still a matter of completely different focal distance (...slightly negated if you only have one eye).

RAWi

So... I know everyone is here to discuss and speculate about what is coming for Wii U. What are the insides of the Wii U made up? And when is Miyamoto, Iwata and Reggie coming for all of us in order to ride their Train and end up crashing into the abysm of nothingness, you know fun things. But,

- Who is planning on buying the Wii U?

- Why are you going to buy it? And if not, why not?

- What is your opinion about the console? What does it needs? What does it lack? What other information are you waiting Nintendo un unveil?

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

For example,

I plan to buy it. Still don't know if will get it by launch or some time after launch.

The reason is mainly because of Nintendo games, I loved them.
However, the console itself is something that really attracts me. The online features that will come with really takes my curiosity, mainly because Nintendo always end up putting its "Nintendo flavor" to things, so I am eager to try features like the "MiiVerse". Also, the usage of the second screen is quite awesome. After playing "Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass", "Spirit Tracks" and "Ocarina of Time, and then playing "Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap" on the 3DS, I found out that going back to not having a second screen from which I can choose my weapons, watch my maps and other stuff is quite difficult. The easiness of just selecting everything on the fly from the second screen is really a great gameplay-enhancer. You know, instead of having to "Pause" the game, then move from one menu to the other, then "Unpausing", to then having to open it again, and so on.

I know some people say that changing your view from one screen to another will break the experience, because you will have to get out of the "game world". But, I think that when you get to play it, the screen will be part of the "game world" and the experience will not break, similar to the experience with the screen of the DS and 3DS, even if the space between screens is bigger, with the time the player will get used to it. Or at least, that's my opinion.

I hope more and more usages get invented from this combination. Really hoping here, that someday we will have a new "Pokemon Snap" that will use the 3D Space that the control can create. Like the feature that the 3DS has, but enhanced.

Also, it would be nice if the system is near in "power" or "graphical capabilities" as the future Xbox and PS, in order to be able to get most 3rd Party games that will be on those consoles.

And, well, as everyone here, I am waiting for a new Nintendo Direct to know more about the launch-day, prices, colors, features, and a long etcetera.

- Who is planning on buying the Wii U?

- Why are you going to buy it? And if not, why not?

- What is your opinion about the console? What does it needs? What does it lack? What other information are you waiting Nintendo un unveil?

I am almost for certain getting it at launch. There are a lot of launch window games I'm interested in, and like you, I just like Nintendo games in general. I think the idea of a home console DS is great. We've already seen good implementation with ZombiU (P100 looks like it's using it in a fairly creative manner as well) so that's hopefully a sign of things to come with first party titles/exclusives. Yes, third parties probably aren't going to give that much effort in utilizing it in creative ways, but they have an easy fallback in Off Screen play which I love the idea of. The console really appeals to me so I'm very excited for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom