• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been...weird indicators of an HD Wii U Monster Hunter (likely an up-port, not a new game) lately.

Enough that I feel something is coming but that's my gut. I'd still brace for disappointment.

Everything sounds more like Svenson and friends are desperately waiting for some kind of confirmation from Japan, while being too scared to tell fans straight that they most likely aint bringing MH over.

I wouldn't read too much into the whole Assassins Creed 3 releasing October 31st because when Wii launched Gamestop told me to pick up Red Steel a few weeks before the Wii actually came out and ended up just sitting on my shelf until I got my Wii.

RedSwirl

Mind if we talk about the GamePad for a bit? How much os-level functionality do you guys want/expect from the GamePad?

I would personally, at least expect a level of functionality in the GamePad similar to the 360's mini menu available while playing any game. Didn't they confirm that you'll at least be able to access the Miiverse Twitter-style thing?

I think a bonus would be the ability to access things like digital manuals or a web browser in-game. It'd be really awesome if the GamePad actually has its own processor, but then that would probably make it expensive as shit.

Mind if we talk about the GamePad for a bit? How much os-level functionality do you guys want/expect from the GamePad?

I would personally, at least expect a level of functionality in the GamePad similar to the 360's mini menu available while playing any game. Didn't they confirm that you'll at least be able to access the Miiverse Twitter-style thing?

I think a bonus would be the ability to access things like digital manuals or a web browser in-game. It'd be really awesome if the GamePad actually has its own processor, but then that would probably make it expensive as shit.

Yeah, and being able to swap out from your zombie game to ask OctoG123 how to kill the zombie behind the door would be a really cool idea. We should tell this to Iwata. ;)

The Wii U can handle the processing requirements for the GamePad; at worst, they'll just have to suspend the currently running game quickly when the user goes to the other apps. This may not be as hard to implement as it sounds, given the large amount of memory set aside for the system functions.

jacksrb

I agree that the idea of manuals on the gamepad would be great. Theoritically, you could pause the game and try out any configurations on the gamepad before settling on them.

Banned
I already know what's coming for launch and launch window. My only desired news right now is price, release date and hopefully that will lead to EB games starting preorders.

mgcastro

I was wondering: Assuming PS4 and Xbox720 release late in 2013,would that make WiiU the lead platform for 3rd party developing titles like COD, FIFA, new Ass. Creed iteration and so on?
Would this kind of supossed 3rd party momentum carry on? or, once both those consoles come out 3rd partys will lead their development on them?

JordanN

Banned
I was wondering: Assuming PS4 and Xbox720 release late in 2013,would that make WiiU the lead platform for 3rd party developing titles like COD, FIFA, new Ass. Creed iteration and so on?
Would this kind of supossed 3rd party momentum carry on? or, once both those consoles come out 3rd partys will lead their development on them?
No one knows, but, if Wii U leads the way in sales next gen that could be seen as a big motivator for publishers to consider that option.

It's best to look at consoles in comparable situations (i.e launching first) and then try to draw a logical assumption (ex: Sega Genesis, Playstation, 3DS etc).

To me, that makes the most sense whereas some publishers/devs are too privy and may just want "ULTRA GRAPHIX" instead or just say "screw Wii U" even if it doesn't bring in the sales/profitable return that a Wii U platform lead could offer.

Just give me ability to take screenshots of from the gamepad and HD monitor (if present).

I want the ability to take bullshots. You hit the button, and it takes a rendering that's higher resolution than the actual current screen with crazy-full anti-aliasing and sends it out on the Internet with a trollface watermark.

"lead platform" doesn't mean "first system of each generation', neither does it mean "most powerful system around". It just means the system that third parties arbitrarily decide to develop and advertise the most on. Right now, that's probably still the Xbox 360 for most multi-platform games, though it's getting fuzzier as time goes on.

Banned
mj-laughing.gif

mgcastro

No one knows, but, if Wii U leads the way in sales next gen that could be seen as a big motivator for publishers to consider that option.

It's best to look at consoles in comparable situations (i.e launching first) and then try to draw a logical assumption (ex: Sega Genesis, Playstation, 3DS etc).

To me, that makes the most sense whereas some publishers/devs are too privy and may just want "ULTRA GRAPHIX" instead or just say "screw Wii U" even if it doesn't bring in the sales/profitable return that a Wii U platform lead could offer.

"lead platform" doesn't mean "first system of each generation', neither does it mean "most powerful system around". It just means the system that third parties arbitrarily decide to develop and advertise the most on. Right now, that's probably still the Xbox 360 for most multi-platform games, though it's getting fuzzier as time goes on.

I see.

I meant for 2013, anyways one can dream right? lol

Terrell

Sorry to bring back the Sing discussion, but...

I'm also not sure people are interesting in just a singing game.

Maybe to us... but isn't karaoke huge in Japan?

idk.. maybe

I don't live in Asia, but in the greater metropolitan area I live in here in Canada, you'll likely find a good 30-40 karaoke joints within a half hour drive from any single point. Keep in mind, there's typically more karaoke bars in any given metropolitan city than movie theaters and arcades combined. It's tough to call it uninteresting in concept when people are obviously making tons of money from it. Gotta be of interest to someone, even in North America.

Sigh, sometimes I really have to wonder how misinformed some of these "hardcore" PS360 fans really are. In a CoD for Wii u thread it was asked whether it would have voice chat or not due to the "kid friendly Nintendo network".

Are people really this clueless about Nintendo these days? Do they really think the only games it has are rated SYK for Super Young Kids?

/end rant
Basically, yeah. I'm very much of the opinion that most people watched the E3 conference and read absolutely NOTHING else, not even the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct. And with that kind of intentional ignorance, you're always gonna get that kind of crap.

next week

I'm gonna say Monday, just after 3DS XL launch.

3DS XL hasn't launched yet? We just got a few at Best Buy yesterday. I was showing it to my co-workers, 'cause I was surprised at how much smaller the box is, compared to the bigger box that comes with the original 3DS, even though it's smaller. Just a funny paradox I guess.

Meelow

Banned
I really want Nintendo Direct, and I also really want Nintendo to show off a game on the Wii U that looks like true next gen graphics to keep the trolls, annoying websites to stop trolling and being annoying.

nordique

thought i'd run this by bgassasin etc

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1661804&postcount=1897

Could be nothing but is this an insider saying Wii U is just using an overclocked Xenos as the GPU?

Edit: Wii U GPU explicitly is known to be DX10 though right? Or at least "supposedly"

Interesting.

However, by all counts early dev kits used RV700's. That is at least two generations after the 360's GPU

That might be his way of trying to give some "layman" comparison of the raw power of the GPU

But based on what we know, the GPU is a brand new one designed by Nintendo and AMD together. I doubt it would have been developed for 3 years if it was simply a souped up Xenos.

I wouldn't give this too much credence, specialguy

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I really want Nintendo Direct, and I also really want Nintendo to show off a game on the Wii U that looks like true next gen graphics to keep the trolls, annoying websites to stop trolling and being annoying.

When a Wii U game shows up that has better graphics than a PS360 game, they'll just say so what that means PS4/720 will be ten times as better looking and Nintendo's developers are enslaved to make games with 'shitty' graphics. Even if said Wii U game is the most beautiful game anyone has seen to date.

I'm starting to feel there's no use arguing with a certain technologist, leaf-counter mentality. Within such a framework, today's bitchin' graphics are tomorrows horrible crap, because tomorrow there will be trees with 20% more leafs, and more godrays in the environment. Some people don't see the holistic whole, just the parts. And the problem is that way lay madness. There will always be more parts. It's never finished.

Perhaps the real problem is that if someone is a 'leaf counter' and sees only the components, it is impossible to understand diminishing returns. Every generation of visuals becomes less dated as time goes on, because each generation is more complete and nuanced. More accurately, each generation allows more art styles to achieve critical threshhold for timelessness.

It is part of what amuses me, I guess, about the talk regarding Wii U having shitty graphics out of the gate because "it's just the same shit we've had for seven years". Yes, the same 'shit' that would have blown people away seven years ago. In a sense, I wonder if people like that ever realize they're actually being quite insulting to the people who actually make the games. It is effectively saying "your efforts don't matter, your games look like shit because somewhere out there, there's better AA and cleaner shadows".

In reality, I more think this generation has hit a LOT of critical thresholds for visuals holding up over time. Most of the remaining visual blemishes are purely related to IQ. Lack of AA or poor AF, banding, low res and washed out textures. If Wii U's hardware merely cleans up what this generation sorely lacked in, you're going to see some games that look god damn great.

One underrated game so far, for example, is P-100. It was funny people barfed at that one trailer that zoomed in on a tiny person who was, you know, tiny. Pull back to actual game view, and P-100 is actually full of great shadows, soft lighting, a very rendered, CG animation look, but with great IQ and at 60fps. And tons of stuff happening, along with massive environmental effects like whole cities collapsing. If that's offensive, shitty graphics, then hand me a plunger son, I'm heading down to the sewers.

Could be nothing but is this an insider saying Wii U is just using an overclocked Xenos as the GPU?

Edit: Wii U GPU explicitly is known to be DX10 though right? Or at least "supposedly"

The early dev kit GPU was known to be DX10.

As for the comment itself, it's way too general to mean anything.

After all Xenos has a unified shader architecture (5-wide), tessellation unit, and according to others had the capability to perform GPGPU functions. Assuming that Wii U's GPU uses a 5-wide ALU setup which is very likely, it would be the exact same in that nature. So what could be taken from that positive or negative? The conclusions I made about the GPU were based on info given to me either dealing with the dev kit or the final GPU. That comment sure doesn't do anything to change that.

Jaroof

So I played the Wii U today at a private event..
It was pretty cool!
Graphics were pretty good on the games..

First game I played was ZombiU.
I'm proud to say that I'm one of the few people to beat the demo! ^_^
As for the game.. it looked good, but as for the gameplay.. it seemed a bit clunky.
We got to play a section where you start off with a gun and a whiffle Bat.
You have to progress through this nursery home and kill the zombies(about 10), get a bag, then escape. When I reached my first zombie, I was slightly disappointed for two reasons:
1. The analog placement on the controller was a bit disorienting.. making it hard to aim the gun.
2. Headshots seemed impossible to land. There were times that I had the crosshair centered on a zombie's head, but I'd end up hitting it somewhere elsewhere.
After my ammo ran out, my character pulled out the whiffle bat.
This is where the real clunky part came in. There were two attacks: a swing, and a shove. The hit detection seemed pretty poor from what I played.. I was missing quite a bit, even though it seemed like I was right on them.
I seemed to have a better handle on controls than most, since I beat the demo, but it still bugged me. I'll write more later since I'm on my phone right now.

Meelow

Banned
When a Wii U game shows up that has better graphics than a PS360 game, they'll just say so what that means PS4/720 will be ten times as better looking and Nintendo's developers are enslaved to make games with 'shitty' graphics. Even if said Wii U game is the most beautiful game anyone has seen to date.

I'm starting to feel there's no use arguing with a certain technologist, leaf-counter mentality. Within such a framework, today's bitchin' graphics are tomorrows horrible crap, because tomorrow there will be trees with 20% more leafs, and more godrays in the environment. Some people don't see the holistic whole, just the parts. And the problem is that way lay madness. There will always be more parts. It's never finished.

Perhaps the real problem is that if someone is a 'leaf counter' and sees only the components, it is impossible to understand diminishing returns. Every generation of visuals becomes less dated as time goes on, because each generation is more complete and nuanced. More accurately, each generation allows more art styles to achieve critical threshhold for timelessness.

It is part of what amuses me, I guess, about the talk regarding Wii U having shitty graphics out of the gate because "it's just the same shit we've had for seven years". Yes, the same 'shit' that would have blown people away seven years ago. In a sense, I wonder if people like that ever realize they're actually being quite insulting to the people who actually make the games. It is effectively saying "your efforts don't matter, your games look like shit because somewhere out there, there's better AA and cleaner shadows".

In reality, I more think this generation has hit a LOT of critical thresholds for visuals holding up over time. Most of the remaining visual blemishes are purely related to IQ. Lack of AA or poor AF, banding, low res and washed out textures. If Wii U's hardware merely cleans up what this generation sorely lacked in, you're going to see some games that look god damn great.

One underrated game so far, for example, is P-100. It was funny people barfed at that one trailer that zoomed in on a tiny person who was, you know, tiny. Pull back to actual game view, and P-100 is actually full of great shadows, soft lighting, a very rendered, CG animation look, but with great IQ and at 60fps. And tons of stuff happening, along with massive environmental effects like whole cities collapsing. If that's offensive, shitty graphics, then hand me a plunger son, I'm heading down to the sewers.

I agree, the people betting on the PS4/720 to be as big as a difference as what we've seen with the PS2 to the PS3 will be very disappointed, having that big of a difference would hurt Sony and Microsoft more than help them.

I just can't wait when we get PS4 and Xbox 720 power rumors and someone will twist words and be like "The PS4 and Xbox 720 only 1x more powerful than the PS3/360", just so they can feel how Nintendo fans felt with stupid rumors.

Sadly, there is no way to win. If you havent noticed, they twist anything to be bad no matter what. Use the touch screen in a game? Too gimmicky. Not use it enough? "Why doesnt the gamepad get used if its a system selling point?" You cant win. Not by conventional means. The only way to "win" is to remember the best revenge is living well. Play what you like, do what you like, and have as much fun as you can in the ways you want to. Picking apart every game and counting pixels seems like a very miserable and limiting existence. Just leave them to it and be happy you can enjoy more of what life has to offer.

People forget sometimes that a console is pretty much just an entertainment tool. What entertains me is different than what entertains joe sixpack the uncharted fan. We like different games. So for me the Wii U doesnt even need to be that great graphically as long as the games are unique and cool. So theres a disconnect in our logics. Sometimes its pretty sickening to see people limiting art to one tiny selfish corner like graphics etc. I cant imagine what its like to be someone whos only thrill comes from how macho and tech heavy something is. I wasnt even like that as a teenager. But these are the differences between people and its never going to change. Just be happy to be on the side of the fence you are on.

JordanN

Banned
It's also got some nice particle effects and depth of field.
plateenumz2prf.gif

lotsofirerjrvi.gif

jmizzal

So I played the Wii U today at a private event..
It was pretty cool!
Graphics were pretty good on the games..

First game I played was ZombiU.
I'm proud to say that I'm one of the few people to beat the demo! ^_^
As for the game.. it looked good, but as for the gameplay.. it seemed a bit clunky.
We got to play a section where you start off with a gun and a whiffle Bat.
You have to progress through this nursery home and kill the zombies(about 10), get a bag, then escape. When I reached my first zombie, I was slightly disappointed for two reasons:
1. The analog placement on the controller was a bit disorienting.. making it hard to aim the gun.
2. Headshots seemed impossible to land. There were times that I had the crosshair centered on a zombie's head, but I'd end up hitting it somewhere elsewhere.
After my ammo ran out, my character pulled out the whiffle bat.
This is where the real clunky part came in. There were two attacks: a swing, and a shove. The hit detection seemed pretty poor from what I played.. I was missing quite a bit, even though it seemed like I was right on them.
I seemed to have a better handle on controls than most, since I beat the demo, but it still bugged me. I'll write more later since I'm on my phone right now.

Hmm if you played the nursery demo then you played an older build from E3, which can be part of the clunky stuff, things have improved a lot from that build in the one from Gamescom.

Meelow

Banned
I always wondered about the name of this site, and didn't really pay attention to the writers' names till now. I think this confirms what I've been thinking. This is making fun of that anonymous dev that said Wii U didn't have enough shaders isn't it?

Didn't the anonymous source say "The Wii U doesn't have enough graphics"? lol.

Meelow

Banned
There was "The graphics are just not as powerful." and "There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable".

Lol, I can't believe alot of people had a meltdown because of that, it's was obvious it was false but I guess some people didn't realize that.

I always wondered about the name of this site, and didn't really pay attention to the writers' names till now. I think this confirms what I've been thinking. This is making fun of that anonymous dev that said Wii U didn't have enough shaders isn't it?

Its a general homage of the whole "Wii U haz not enough ghz, shaders, clockspeed" etc... And its spelled NES in short! Thats why Not Enough Shaders and not Not Enough Clockspeed, for example ;)

MDX

So glad North America is now getting that damn 3DS XL out of the way maybe we can start to drop the Wii U bombs now right Nintendo?

I was kind of surprised to hear that the 3DSXL wasn't already out.
Makes complete sense that Nintendo has been tight lipped about the WiiU in
order to focus on the 3DSXL launch.

JP July 28, 2012
EU July 28, 2012
NA August 19, 2012
AU August 23, 2012

I wonder if this trend will continue for the WiiU...

I was kind of surprised to hear that the 3DSXL wasn't already out.
Makes complete sense that Nintendo has been tight lipped about the WiiU in
order to focus on the 3DSXL launch.

I wonder if this trend will continue for the WiiU...

17th is over. Wii U ND Iwata... make it happen! NOW :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Is that how you read it?

The GPU architecture U-GPU is based on is 10.1. What DX-level U-GPU complies to is not clear (or that important, for that matter). For reference, Xenos was 'officially' 9.3, but in practice it was a step short of 10.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's also got some nice particle effects and depth of field.
plateenumz2prf.gif
Your argument is void and nil, as P-100 it's not StarWars1313, instead it is an officially 'shitty, flash-looking game', with proven N64-level closeups.

okay next week or bust Nintendo, also P-100 needs a name you cannot keep it like that it will stick to my brain and won't like the new name.

Hey since the Wii U pretty much is a DS I don't see a reason Capcom cannot release Monster Hunter 4U - It would take some work but I want to see this

I want to see a long list on Nintendo published JRPGs at least as much as the Wii got
September is close enough for more details but they should tease stuff now with a few screens before showing video in September

MDX

We know that Nintendo
loves multipliers in their hardware.
I was just looking at the 3DS:

DSP 134Mhz
GPU 268MHz
CPU 2x 268MHz

So with their two core device, they made each core equal to the GPU.
Or, the GPU/CPU's clock is 1/2 of the DSP.

Anybody know why Nintendo likes to balance their systems in this way?
Is it philosophy based, something in the culture? Does it have engineering benefits?
And what is their starting point? The DSP? GPU? Memory?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
There have been...weird indicators of an HD Wii U Monster Hunter (likely an up-port, not a new game) lately.

Enough that I feel something is coming but that's my gut. I'd still brace for disappointment.

If MHTriG HD will be the only title from Capcom they'll announce, I'll be greatly disappointed.

Two more WiiU game Rumors Need for Speed: Most Wanted and F1 Race Stars - He claims its not a rumor but a fact tho lol, He does say what he think is the release date is speculation tho.

http://wiiclube.uol.com.br/blog/201...ara-wii-u-e-possivel-data-de-lancamento/73671

"Ok, I promised on Facebook and now it's time to open the beak: I learned two games that have not yet been announced for the Wii U, but will leave that to the console when it is released. The games are Need for Speed: Most Wanted and F1 Race Stars ."

Yea Codemasters Dirt and F1 was listed last year but we have not seen anything of them, and NFS has been rumored for a while along with EA's Medal of Honor, maybe they are holding off on them cuz they are coming out later then the other versions as in next year not like ME3, Madden and Fifa idk.

From what I know, NfS and F1 are very possible.
Other games (such as MoH and Dirt) probably will not hit the Wii U for the moment.

tkscz

We know that Nintendo
loves multipliers in their hardware.
I was just looking at the 3DS:

DSP 134Mhz
GPU 268MHz
CPU 2x 268MHz

So with their two core device, they made each core equal to the GPU.
Or, the GPU/CPU's clock is 1/2 of the DSP.

Anybody know why Nintendo likes to balance their systems in this way?
Is it philosophy based, something in the culture? Does it have engineering benefits?
And what is their starting point? The DSP? GPU? Memory?

A well balance system tends to be easier to develop for than a system that can easily bottle-neck itself (360). It's the simplest way to prevent bottle-necking.

adroit

Stupid question ahoy!

When playing a Wii game on the Wii U, will video still be output over HDMI or will we have to connect component cables to play Wii games?

I'm asking because the Wii was so simplistic in the way it supported GameCube games. The Wii became a GameCube and supported nothing the GameCube didn't support. So that has me worried about HDMI output on the Wii U. I hope the Wii U's backwards compatibility will be slightly more sophisticated than the Wii's.

D-e-f-

Banned
Monster Hunter Tri Tri?
"Monster Hunter Tri-Again"

No seriously, I had never thought of that but a cross-platform multiplayer based Monster Hunter 4 would make so much sense. Transfar your save back and forth ... play in glorious HD land and then hop on the train with your 3DS and keep playing.

If Dragon Quest X can have cross-platform online play between the Wii and Wii U version, then MH4 should be able to handle that just as well on 3DS and Wii U, right? That would also explain why Capcom hasn't said a peep about MH4 and keeps teasing "Monster Hunter news SOON!!!"

Stupid question ahoy!

When playing a Wii game on the Wii U, will video still be output over HDMI or will we have to connect component cables to play Wii games?

I'm asking because the Wii was so simplistic in the way it supported GameCube games. The Wii became a GameCube and supported nothing the GameCube didn't support. So that has me worried about HDMI output on the Wii U. I hope the Wii U's backwards compatibility will be slightly more sophisticated than the Wii's.

Why would you need another set of cables? Whatever is on the screen will go through the HDMI cable. Older games requiring other cables ... that is weird logic. PS2 games on PS3 or Xbox games on 360 don't require old cables.

"Monster Hunter Tri-Again"

No seriously, I had never thought of that but a cross-platform multiplayer based Monster Hunter 4 would make so much sense. Transfar your save back and forth ... play in glorious HD land and then hop on the train with your 3DS and keep playing.

If Dragon Quest X can have cross-platform online play between the Wii and Wii U version, then MH4 should be able to handle that just as well on 3DS and Wii U, right? That would also explain why Capcom hasn't said a peep about MH4 and keeps teasing "Monster Hunter news SOON!!!"

Why would you need another set of cables? Whatever is on the screen will go through the HDMI cable. Older games requiring other cables ... that is weird logic. PS2 games on PS3 or Xbox games on 360 don't require old cables.
lol he said it was a stupid question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom