• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U external HDD thread

Mistle

Using Y-cable, light on USB turns on... But nothing happens on Wii U. When I go into settings to set it up, it's endlessly says "checking USB storage device". Any ideas?

EDIT: Given up. For Australians in Officeworks who see a big bargain bin of "Imation 320GB Apollo M100 portable HDD"s, it doesn't work. I'll take it back and hopefully a refund. Hell, store credit would even be fine, as I'll just get a Seagate or Toshiba or WD or something more likely to work :p An extra $20 or so, but eh.

Erethian

Seagate Expansion seems to be the winner here. I'll go with that then.

It's a 7200 RPM drive (not that it matters much with a USB 2.0 interface) and fast access times. So it's a pretty good bet.

Also the drive inside there has its own separate warranty, from what I've read.

Asked a friend to pick up a hard drive and got a Toshiba Canvio 500gig. Is that the one in the op? Cause it says I need a Y cable but its been' working fine without one. Do I still get one just to be safe or something?
That's what I bought and aside from one instance it works fine. It does make a beeping sound though so I bought the Y cable in hopes of making it more stable.

Mercutio

Got a y-cable for my hard drive and formated the drive. Two seconds into copying Nano Assault Neo, I get my second ever Wii U hard lock.

WTF Nintendo.

Nothing appears to be messed up after pulling the plug, and the transfer worked the second time, but freezing up while moving save files is not an okay thing to do!

I wouldn't do this, depending on how much the disk and hard drives vibrate. But maybe they'll be okay?

It'd only be an issue if they were both vibrating at once, I think... and I really don't think either vibrates enough to cause an issue. They're way closer together in any PC I've ever had, and those have never had issues. Also, check out the inside of the 360 S... the Wii U vibrates WAY less than those drives.

Wii U vents are on the right side (Wii U logo) not the top.

Yep, when placed on the front of the console, it doesn't cover any vents. If you pushed it back though, it would cover the top vent.

Bog

Junior Ace
What's the smallest form factor > 500gb drive? The one posted on the previous page just isn't appealing being as tall as the WiiU itself.

piteru

Banned
do you believe if we will ever get a "nintendo themed" hdd?
i want to buy one but i just have a hunch that some day nintendo will release one..

reektann

So is it possible to install a Wii U disc based game onto my USB drive - just for loading times etc. I couldn't find any options so at the moment I'm not entirely sure what I can put on it - apart from e-shop stuff I guess?

Mercutio

do you believe if we will ever get a "nintendo themed" hdd?
i want to buy one but i just have a hunch that some day nintendo will release one..

If they had one in the works, they probably wouldn't be pushing other manufacturer's HDDs right now. That Toshiba one is reaaaaaaaaaaally close, honestly. It looks like one nice little cube.

Mistle

So is it possible to install a Wii U disc based game onto my USB drive - just for loading times etc. I couldn't find any options so at the moment I'm not entirely sure what I can put on it - apart from e-shop stuff I guess?

Not at the moment but hopefully we can in the future. Would be great to have everything installed on a USB.

What's the smallest form factor > 500gb drive? The one posted on the previous page just isn't appealing being as tall as the WiiU itself.

You can use the Seagate Expansion portable. Which is the drive I use, just get a Y-Cable for it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00834SK5W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It should be noted in the OP that there are 2 lines of Seagate Expansion drives. A portable line and a desktop line. The portable line uses laptop drives, and the desktop one uses desktop drives. It should also be noted that the desktop line has a separate power plug, while the portable line doesn't and will need a Y-Cable.

I noted the OP has the 1tb Seagate Expansion drive up there, but it's the desktop model. I can confirm that the portable model works with the Wii-U as well as long as you have a Y-cable.

You can use the Seagate Expansion portable. Which is the drive I use, just get a Y-Cable for it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00834SK5W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It should be noted in the OP that there are 2 lines of Seagate Expansion drives. A portable line and a desktop line. The portable line uses laptop drives, and the desktop one uses desktop drives. It should also be noted that the desktop line has a separate power plug, while the portable line doesn't and will need a Y-Cable.

I noted the OP has the 1tb Seagate Expansion drive up there, but it's the desktop model. I can confirm that the portable model works with the Wii-U as well as long as you have a Y-cable.

Done. Added the official N UK HDD page as well.

Drago

My hard drive finally arrived today.

My WiiU formatted it and gas a little USB logo in the bottom left corner of the pad menu so I know it's reading it, but my WiiU has hard locked about 4 times since plugging it in.

Does that mean I need a y cable? :/

Kyoufu

My hard drive finally arrived today.

My WiiU formatted it and gas a little USB logo in the bottom left corner of the pad menu so I know it's reading it, but my WiiU has hard locked about 4 times since plugging it in.

Does that mean I need a y cable? :/

Despite the vague post I'll go ahead and assume you have a USB powered portable drive which will indeed require a Y cable.

Can the wii u even play videos/music? What's the point of a 1tb+ drive? I have cfw ps3 and ripped 40 games to it, 100gb of movies and music and still haven't filled a 750gb drive.

pestul

I have a 500 GB HDD in an enclosure that I swapped out from a laptop attached to my Wii U using a USB 2.0 Y cable. I had to format it since it was previously in NTFS, but after that it seems to be downloading and playing just fine.

Got myself NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Little Inferno, Trine 2, ZombiU, and Scribblenauts Unlimited all packed in there. Most of the games seem to be loading faster than the Nintendoland that I got in the Deluxe package too.

Did you have to format it yourself first before Wii U recognized it? I have an NTFS drive in a cheap eBay enclosure with the y-cable and the light just stays on when it's plugged in. I'm going to try to format it to Fat32 first and then re-plug it in. Still think I'm screwed on this one.. but what the heck, it's worth a try.

Elfteiroh

HP SimpleSave 2TB
I went back to the store and was able to change my LaCie drive for this one. It works like a charm, but it could be hard to find, as it's marked as unavailable on the official site and on Amazon.ca
It's also kinda old, as all the reviews I find are from 2010. But yeah, it works if someone else is wondering! :O

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Since I'm a flash guy:

Tried using both a class-10 SDHC (Toshiba, measured read BW of 15.7MB/s) and Kingston DataTraveler flashdrive (pre-G2 series, measured read BW 16MB/s). Both work like a charm.

F#A#Oo

Banned
UK GAF:

What HDD have you got hooked up to your Wii U?

The ones Nintendo recommends on their site I cannot find...which is weird...

sfried

Are there any single USB port powered external harddrives that work with Wii U? Anybody tested a Fujitsu yet?

mAcOdIn

LaCie Minimus 2TB
Sadly doesn't work. I've read somewhere that other LaCie drives doesn't work either. I just paid 150$ for nothing. :(
The WiiU just doesn't see it at all.
Before giving up I'd try and erase the partition in windows disk management first and then see if it shows up.

This is assuming you have enough power going to it, either from an outlet or through a y cable.

Kyoufu

Do you guys only use the single USB cable with the Seagate Expansion or do you need the Y cable also? I'm hearing mixed reports.

Drago

Got my y cable, everything woks perfectly now.

465 GBs of storage. My one negative to the Basic set rectified. :D

Elfteiroh

Before giving up I'd try and erase the partition in windows disk management first and then see if it shows up.

This is assuming you have enough power going to it, either from an outlet or through a y cable.

Tried it. I tried formatting it in different format (I know it shouldn't have changed a thing, I was desperate), plugging it in another USB plug, connecting while the WiiU was powered, not-powered, online, offline, plugging the USB then the power, the power then the USB... I really tried everything. Even tried using a spare HDD that was connected to my PC, transfered everything on it to the LaCie and plugged it in my WiiU to see if it wasn't the console the problem... it worked instantly (but it's currently not available anywhere, being too old). I tried everything. The only thing that worked was returning it and buying another model.

Phazon

Folks have been able to use other units from that line with a Y cord (US version.). I'm guessing it will probably work that way.

Alright, might buy it because I'm going to need the storage soon. Devs are starting to send out digital review copies instead of retail ones :p

I've been looking on ebay for an usb y cable, but they are a bit expensive. Anyone from EU who knows where to get them for a nice price? (Do I need a 3.0 y cable or will a 2.0 be enough for a external 3.0 drive?)

sfried

Now that the Black Friday deals are over, I'm wondering which is the best HDD to snag out there in terms of price and reliability? I'm looking towards 1TB, and I'm split on the Toshiba Canvia and the Seagate Expansion portable. I'm trying to see if there's any USB power HDD out there that doesn't require the Y USB adapter to function reliably on the Wii U. (Otherwise I'm goint to have connect both my USB ports to the front end, since the back is being taken in by my LAN adapter.)

Roo

So I have an unopened 500GB Adata Hv610 Usb 3.0 HDD a friend gave me a couple months ago. It comes with its original USB cable which btw has a weird-looking terminal end (the upper one) I'm not a tech-savvy by any means so I don't know what's the name or how it works but if I buy a Y cable for it I'm good to go? Or does it have to have the same ends though it has an ordinary usb logo on it (the hdd)?

ADATA_HV610_WH_02_HiRes_06.jpg

Any help would be highly appreciated :D

edit: this is my first HDD ever
So, if it is the dumbest question please don't kill me lol

Dereck

So I have an unopened 500GB Adata Hv610 Usb 3.0 HDD a friend gave me a couple months ago. It comes with its original USB cable which btw has a weird-looking terminal end (the upper one) I'm not a tech-savvy by any means so I don't know what's the name or how it works but if I buy a Y cable for it I'm good to go? Or does it have to have the same ends though it has an ordinary usb logo on it (the hdd)?

Any help would be highly appreciated :D
You need this, I believe.

cbusb20002_600x350.jpg

Top Bottom