• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

I still can't get over the fact that some thought videos of 360/PS3 games looked worse than 360/PS3 games.

Wasn't it the Giant Bomb guys who said this? Just shows how portions of the media have given up on Nintendo and how it would not have really mattered what Nintendo shows/showed at E3 because some people are just going to react negatively regardless.

Antagon

Supposedly Samaritan requires about 1.1 Tflops at 720p 30 fps. If the Wii U really has a 4770 based card and pulls that sort of performance that would be far better then I'd expect. I'm guessing I'm reading something wrong, as that would be a lot better then I'd expect (plus that would mean that my 4850 based PC should be able to render Samaritan at 720p, which seems rather ridiculous).

KageMaru

Wii U had better damn well trump 360 and PS3 in OS and network features. There are a lot of ways it can make them show their age that aren't directly related to sheer rendering and computing power.

Not really sure you want this if it means a bloated OS that reserves too much processing and especially memory.

Lots of people in this gen were also dead serious calling Wii games that looked slightly worse than Mario Galaxy on par with N64. Many people last gen were also convinced that PS2 had the strongest visuals.
It certainly won't get better as soon as real WiiU footage shows up, regardless of how good it might look, haha.

This is a bit of an unfair generalization. I certainly don't share the same optimism as some of the Nintendo fans here, but at the same time I'm not bashing or downplaying what the system can be capable of.

udivision

No, that might've been their excuse though.

Edit:
I really hope we get some new info soon. I really don't care that much about speculating about the hardware, software is where it's at.

Idk, seems like Nintendo is afraid of online communication between strangers.

Grymm

Banned
Wii U had better damn well trump 360 and PS3 in OS and network features. There are a lot of ways it can make them show their age that aren't directly related to sheer rendering and computing power.

I just cannot imagine any possible scenario where the...

it's called the Nintendo Network now right?

where the Nintendo Network will trump XBox Live. That's just not going to happen. I have a hard time believing it will top PSN. I just have no faith at all in any online efforts, from features to services, made in Nintendo products. They've given me no reason to.

Where MS and Sony have ties to all kinds of different companies whose services are available on their networks from Verizon to ESPN to UFC to WWE to Youtube and even the developers who make game for XBLA (really especially that, Nintendo is still going to overcharge for 8bit games where XBLA is going to continue to destroy it as time goes on) etc. Nintendo has ties to... McDonalds? BestBuy?

And then just basic features of the online, like profiles, tags, trophies/achievements, chat, cross game functionality, etc etc etc I just can't see Nintendo competing in the online realm at all.

The hardware might be on par with ps360, but there's no way the online will be. None.

where the Nintendo Network will trump XBox Live. That's just not going to happen. I have a hard time believing it will top PSN. I just have no faith at all in any online efforts, from features to services, made in Nintendo products. They've given me no reason to.

Where MS and Sony have ties to all kinds of different companies whose services are available on their networks from Verizon to ESPN to UFC to WWE to Youtube and even the developers who make game for XBLA (really especially that, Nintendo is still going to voercharge for 8bit games where XBLA is going to continue to destroy it as time goes on) etc. Nintendo has ties to... McDonalds? BestBuy?

And then just basic features of the online, like profiles, tags, trophies/achievements, chat, cross game functionality, etc etc etc I just can't see Nintendo competing in the online realm at all.

The hardware might be on par with ps360, but there's no way the online will be. None.
I wouldn't underestimate it. From what we heard at the investors briefing, they seem to be doing everything right. Throw in some obvious other features like sending video messages to people, etc etc...they could surpass it quite easily.

Nintendo has the benefit of being able to build their network from scratch around these features, whereas Sony couldn't go back and add certain things because of the way their console/infrastructure was built.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Supposedly Samaritan requires about 1.1 Tflops at 720p 30 fps. If the Wii U really has a 4770 based card and pulls that sort of performance that would be far better then I'd expect. I'm guessing I'm reading something wrong, as that would be a lot better then I'd expect (plus that would mean that my 4850 based PC should be able to render Samaritan at 720p, which seems rather ridiculous).

I've got a GTX460 which is nearly twice as powerful as a 4770. No way would my graphics card deliver Samaritan.

Where MS and Sony have ties to all kinds of different companies whose services are available on their networks from Verizon to ESPN to UFC to WWE to Youtube and even the developers who make game for XBLA (really especially that, Nintendo is still going to overcharge for 8bit games where XBLA is going to continue to destroy it as time goes on) etc. Nintendo has ties to... McDonalds? BestBuy?

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised based on everything we've heard from Nintendo and other sources.

Also: Damn, this thread is already halfway done. You guys be nuts.

udivision

Don't expect anything from the NiN.
At all.
Nintendo's online service is going to be more outdated than the hardware. I can't see it being any other way.

Effect

Wasn't it the Giant Bomb guys who said this? Just shows how portions of the media have given up on Nintendo and how it would not have really mattered what Nintendo shows/showed at E3 because some people are just going to react negatively regardless.

Plenty of people on this forum were like that as well. However I agree it does show that no matter what Nintendo does there will be some that will have a negative reaction. Some where reality doesn't not matter to them if it doesn't fit their narrative. That's been the case for years. It was just made painfully obvious though last E3 by people bashing the game footage reel.

Grymm

Banned
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised based on everything we've heard from Nintendo and other sources.

Also: Damn, this thread is already halfway done. You guys be nuts.

I've been keeping up with what very little WiiU news there has been since even before last e3 pretty well from leaks and rumors to Nintendos quarterly reports to Reggie checking boxes that weren't really checked etc.

Please if you could remind me of what Nintendo has said so far that would lead one to be "pleasantly surprised".

I mean, in all seriousness, we're not even sure Friend Codes are gone yet.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Nintendo has a basic idea as to what is required, and they also have a tendency to always innovate. If they put their 100% behind it, I don't see why the online network for Wii U won't be competent. It's not like they are cash starved or anything, they can invest a lot in the infrastructure if they want, and based on whatever news we have so far, it seems its one of their main priority. So I'm expecting it to be pretty decent.

Guys, what if Nintendo and Epic showed off the Samaritan demo running on Wii U hardware at E3. Would that be enough to shut up the people who think it's going to somehow be worse than the 360?

Donnie

Is this 1TFLOP GPU quote actual sustained performance or is like the BS estimates like the 1TFLOP total count for the 360 (lol) and 2TFLOP total for the ps3 (lol)?

Its using the same estimate that makes 360's GPU 240 GFLOPS.

That much performance on the GPU alone, in such a small box, sounds like it's just asking for heating issues.

Flipper (GameCube's GPU) was 126mm2. The HD4770 on a 40nm process is 137mm2, only slightly bigger and Nintendo may even use 32nm or lower.

udivision

I've been keeping up with what very little WiiU news there has been since even before last e3 pretty well from leaks and rumors to Nintendos quarterly reports to Reggie checking boxes that weren't really checked etc.

Please if you could remind me of what Nintendo has said so far that would lead one to be "pleasantly surprised".

I mean, in all seriousness, we're not even sure Friend Codes are gone yet.

Exactly. I feel like if Nintendo knew what was going down, we wouldn't be seeing that mess on the 3DS. It's baby steps though.

KageMaru

Its using the same estimate that makes 360's GPU 240 GFLOPS.

Flipper (GameCube's GPU) was 126mm2. The HD4770 on a 40nm process is 137mm2, only slightly bigger and Nintendo may even use 32nm or lower.

Cool thanks for the answers. Has there been any clues that Nintendo would be using 32nm? Everything I've seen has indicated they would be using 45nm, which is where my concerns over heat came from.

Sorry if old (tried searching first - results were a mess) but:

Is this Youtube channel, titled Super Smash Bros Universe OST, for real?

There's even a "demo cover":

Was Smash Bros Universe ever confirmed, other than those "leaks" a couple of months ago?

allow-me-to-show-you-my-response.gif

The problem with post by board members with sources, is the limited info on whether or not the spilling of the beans is connected to a publisher and dev with priority status, meaning they would have access to the latest dev kits. Also official documentation.

Increasingly I think the early launch is one of the biggest points in Wii U's favor from the standpoint of getting development focus. Of course we all know Wii quickly became the #1 console in pure units, but it was never a majority of the X360/PS3/Wii market. It peaked at 49% and has spent most of its life in the 40s%, so the HD consoles have been the majority.

Even going back to the bad-case scenario where Wii U does 40% worse than Wii while everything else does 40% better, thanks to the early launch Wii U has the majority of the WiiU/XDur/PS4 market for 2-3 years, and is still over 40% into its 5th year. The "We started HD development before we knew Wii was going to matter" factor isn't there.

20120326marketshares.png

TwinIonEngines said:
Wii U and Vita, port frenemies 4 life.
If it weren't for this completely failing to become a thing between PSP and Wii, I'd probably agree.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
- Kid Icarus spin-off
- Starring Magnus
- Shows the perspective from the humans during the events of Uprising
- Wii-U Launch title
- Developed by Retro

Play Kid Icarus:Uprising, and then you will know how awesome this could be.

Donnie

Cool thanks for the answers. Has there been any clues that Nintendo would be using 32nm? Everything I've seen has indicated they would be using 45nm, which is where my concerns over heat came from.

I believe IBM mentioned 45nm for the CPU when it was first announced but nothing has been announced for the GPU. At worst we'd be looking at 40nm, but 32nm is a real possibility. There have even been rumours of 28nm for the GPU, but that seems unlikely.

It's a sequel to a game that already had multiplayer so yes. Having multiplayer of any sort(unless it's a small minigame) should always be online, especially for a company with as many resources as Nintendo.

These are not some small indie guys working out of their basement

Actually,miyamoto said that 5 guys are working in pikmin 3.

Christine

If it weren't for this completely failing to become a thing between PSP and Wii, I'd probably agree.

I'm not really expecting it to happen, but I do like to think about the contrast between PSP / Wii and Vita / Wii U. PSP had a longer and much more productive run prior to Wii's launch than Vita is likely to have prior to the U's launch, for one thing.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I believe IBM mentioned 45nm for the CPU when it was first announced but nothing has been announced for the GPU. At worst we'd be looking at 40nm, but 32nm is a real possibility. There have even been rumours of 28nm for the GPU, but that seems unlikely.
Yes, 45nm when the press release was issued. As for the GPU, like you mentioned, nothing about its fabrication has been mentioned, though we might hear something about the GPU in Wii U on the 19th of April marking the Q1 2012 Advanced Micro Devices Earnings Conference Call, or later in May when they hold their 2012 Annual Meeting of Stockholders.

IBM plans to produce millions of chips for Nintendo featuring IBM Silicon on Insulator (SOI) technology at 45 nanometers (45 billionths of a meter). The custom-designed chips will be made at IBM's state-of-the-art 300mm semiconductor development and manufacturing facility in East Fishkill, N.Y.
Source: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34683.wss

Shion

These are not some small indie guys working out of their basement.

I was thinking about the same thing lately.

Nintendo has tons of money, they're the biggest publisher in the industry, bigger than EA, bigger than everyone. And yet, they act like a small company with no money at all.

qq more

Sorry if old (tried searching first - results were a mess) but:

Is this Youtube channel, titled Super Smash Bros Universe OST, for real?

There's even a "demo cover":

Was Smash Bros Universe ever confirmed, other than those "leaks" a couple of months ago?

There is so much wrong with the "OST" and the boxart I don't even know where to begin. No offense but how on earth did you even take it with at least a grain of salt?

KageMaru

I think it's one of the more reasonable ways for U to be establish a perception as 'new' consumer electronics by the mass market.

Yeah that's true, I just hope they balance OS and performance right.

Increasingly I think the early launch is one of the biggest points in Wii U's favor from the standpoint of getting development focus. Of course we all know Wii quickly became the #1 console in pure units, but it was never a majority of the X360/PS3/Wii market. It peaked at 49% and has spent most of its life in the 40s%, so the HD consoles have been the majority.

IMO this is unlikely to happen. Assuming the PS4 and 720 are equal in performance like the 360 and PS3 this gen, I see development leading on the ps360 this gen and then focus moving to PS4 and 720 while downporting to the Wii-U. Unless the Wii-U proves to be a smash hit with 3rd party sales.

Yeah I've read speculation that they could go with 40nm, but it was just a speculation and not an actual rumor. Never read anything about 32nm but it would be great if they did use that process. 28nm isn't going to happen IMO since it'll probably be too costly for Nintendo this year.

Rösti;36379844 said:
Yes, 45nm when the press release was issued. As for the GPU, like you mentioned, nothing about its fabrication has been mentioned, though we might hear something about the GPU in Wii U on the 19th of April marking the Q1 2012 Advanced Micro Devices Earnings Conference Call, or later in May when they hold their 2012 Annual Meeting of Stockholders.

45nm is all we read concerning the CPU and until we read differently, I think it's best to play it safe and assume that's what we'll get.

MDX

Rösti;36379844 said:

"Plans" to produce. I still think its open to change. As slight as it might be. In regards to 45nm IBM cpu.

AlStrong

Flipper (GameCube's GPU) was 126mm2. The HD4770 on a 40nm process is 137mm2,

Power and thermal properties are kinda different between 110nm and 40nm...

Nintendo may even use 32nm or lower.

I don't see why they would. :s Just like 28nm @ TSMC, fab capacity for 32nm @ Global Foundries or IBM is kinda low... or rather, will be much more expensive than 40/45nm for the next while.

For clarification, that's from this presentation. 2.5 TFLOPS for 1080p @ 30fps, and 720p is 0.444… x 1080p, so it maths out to 1.111… TFLOPS

(just basically relinking to the presentation for anybody who's been thinking "where did they get these supposed Samaritan requirements?!?")

Eteric Rice

I was thinking about the same thing lately.

Nintendo has tons of money, they're the biggest publisher in the industry, bigger than EA, bigger than everyone. And yet, they act like a small company with no money at all.

This is probably one of the reasons they've been around for over 100 years.

Azure J

I've got a GTX460 which is nearly twice as powerful as a 4770. No way would my graphics card deliver Samaritan.

It's all about the features of the cards really. That being said, an off the shelf 4770 used in a PC environment shouldn't be what you judge this on. Custom parts can be wildly different from their inspiration.

Again, features of the card. The only thing stopping the 4850 from doing as much is the lack of support for DX11 effects. With how Samaritan/UE3.9 got optimized to run on a single GTX 680 over 3 GTX 580s and engines focusing on scalability going forward, I definitely don't doubt seeing Samaritan and UE4 running on cards like this. Of course, you won't see the same fidelity as the top end offerings.

Azure J

Yeah, probably.
Still though, so much wasted potential.

...really? So because they aren't bleeding out money for the sake of making momentary flash bangs it's wasted potential, but sustaining themselves and remaining more than relevant on a wide scale for 25 years in gaming and 100 in a business sense isn't as impressive?

(Note: Just going off the tone of your post here.)

Shion

...really? So because they aren't bleeding out money for the sake of making momentary flash bangs it's wasted potential, but sustaining themselves and remaining more than relevant on a wide scale for 25 years in gaming and 100 in a business sense isn't as impressive?

(Note: Just going off the tone of your post here.)

Well, yeah, if you're a shareholder it's certainly very impressive.
If you're a gamer though, you gotta wonder about all the wasted potential.

Well, yeah, if you're a shareholder it's certainly very impressive.
If you're a gamer though, you gotta wonder about all the wasted potential.

Nintendo spends every generation trying to figure out new ways to make their games engaging. It doesn't always work incredibly well, but if they did what every other company did, every generation, I think that would be more in line with the term "wasted potential".

Donnie

Power and thermal properties are kinda different between 110nm and 40nm...

Well if you have a better comparison with exact TDP's then of course post it, that's the best comparison I could think of given the info I have.

Also FYI Flipper was 180nm not 110nm.

I don't see why they would. :s Just like 28nm @ TSMC, fab capacity for 32nm @ Global Foundries or IBM is kinda low... or rather, will be much more expensive than 40/45nm for the next while.

Well obviously IF they did use 32nm they'd be doing so for thermal reasons, not cost savings.

nordique

There was an alternate rumour that the Wii U would be capable of Samaritan at 720p, though that might have just been a second-order followup of that first AMD engineer thing. Samaritan at 720p would require ~1.1 TFLOPS (assuming that it scales down linearly from the stated 2.5 TFLOPS requirement of the demo at 1080p).

However, it is really important to note the cpu thing. If you're coding close to the metal on the Xbox 360, its 3-core cpu would yield higher performance than if you did a blind recompile without putting any effort into the hardware on the Wii U, given the rumours of its more powerful albeit still 3-core cpu. I personally believe that this is a major factor in most of the assertions claiming that the Xbox 360 seems to sometimes have higher performance.

I also think that there will be no consoles that have astonishingly higher cpu-dependent performance compared to the Xbox 360. I mean, is it even worth it from a heat dissipation standpoint to put in a six- or eight- core processor when you can use that extra temperature buffer to up the gpu, which is considered vastly more important in game performance?*

* I'm not being an apologist nearly as much as this paragraph makes it seem

Good point.

We know the Wii U will be a more powerful hardware, and if we believe insider points from poster like wsippel (whom I have no reason to doubt at all) then the CPU is even better (faster, in some ways much faster) than Xenon.

I think that is telling and, given what you noted that I bolded, it would seem Nintendo is targetting something balanced with a CPU like that.

Optimizations are key as well, as blu noted earlier that it doesn't matter how powerful hardware is, if its optimized poorly, it will run poorly.

To me, this fits with a console that is "beyond the current generation but not leap-frogging it"

And, as long as the GPU is capable of handling games that would appear on a "much" more powerful PS4 and/or 720, then Nintendo is aiming in the right direction.

I'm of the belief Nintendo knows how to strike the right balance, and will make competent hardware.

As always, it will be up to Nintendo to show off what the system is truly capable of.

I also believe we should not expect third party games that had the 360 as the lead platform to be much prettier on the Wii U; we know the Wii U will be used to port games so I'd expect games to be ports and nothing more, outside of "ground-up" build titles.

nordique

This is probably one of the reasons they've been around for over 100 years.

Well stated.

Nintendo is one of the smartest run businesses I have ever seen.

I know it pisses a lot of "core" gamers off, but without Nintendo, the industry would be in a lot of disarray, in a lot of ways.

Though I have my respect for Microsoft and Sony's business models in certain ways too, Nintendo is something special when it comes to a "big picture" point of view.

I know people are back to tech talk but honestly I've made the decision to buy the Wii U no matter the tech what I want from Nintendo at E3 is for the light to dim and Porky's theme music to start playing followed by a backshot of a kid wearing a bookbag picking up a bat throwing it ROTC style in the air putting on a baseball cap then catching the bat do a quick spin to reveal Nes before the words Earthbound 2013 manifests on screen....

Coolwhip

Banned
Nintendo spends every generation trying to figure out new ways to make their games engaging. It doesn't always work incredibly well, but if they did what every other company did, every generation, I think that would be more in line with the term "wasted potential".

Indeed. In my opinion the Wii was horrible, motion control was horrible, but at least they try to do new things. More polygons, shaders, textures do nothing for the fun aspect of gaming really. Only a handful of people really care about that.

I'm just mentally preparing myself for Legend of Black Zelda, the new and controversial attention-grabber in the series to launch with the Wii U.

Shit, make Link black too. It'll be like Toon Link/8.8 controversies combined, times ten.

Rösti;36378668 said:
Well, wasn't one of the key reasons to why Wii didn't feature unified (meaning an OS feature and not something specific for a certain game) online voice chat Nintendo fearing that pedophiles and other sexual predators would be searching for victims through it, seeing as a great demographic of Nintendo is adolescent children?

With Nintendo Network, I can definitely see online voice chat, though by default properly sealed behind a myriad of parental settings. It would be rather stupid to not include such a basic feature as voice chat.

You also need to be aware that with Wii and DS, Nintendo had no infrastructure in place to deal with such problems. They could do jack shit to some pedo stalking a kid on Wii or DS, whereas Microsoft and Sony had proper report functions in place from the get go, and were able to deal with them.

Nintendo wasn't afraid of Pedos or kids being preyed upon, but about the fact that they had no means to monitor such activity on a comprehensive infrastructure.

The unfortunate thing is, that they took the easy way out and simply didn't include basic features like friendlists and easier communication between people.

Top Bottom