• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

HylianTom

Banned
Also as far as feeling in touch with the "gamers", yeah most here will know that. Just play what's fun. I won't ever forget the (actually well known among my friends) old salesman smiling and winking at me when i picked up a kirby game some years back. My beard is older than the people trying to tell me "it's da kiddeh!", who cares.

I love stories like this, haha.. the reality of the "kiddeh" issue is a gold mine for laughs, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm 33, and was probably of average age for my Wii preorder line. And from talking to these folks in line, they weren't there for their kids.

you've missed out bud, you've missed out :p

You (and others) can tell me this all you want, but I honestly don't feel like I've suffered. My gaming diet feels robust. But then again, my needs, tastes, and free time are different from others'.

That, and I flatly refuse to be a part of the third-party problem.

Nintendo fan: "I want good third-party ports! Y'hear me, companies?"
Third-party: "Nope. We could do it, but it's going to the other consoles instead."
Nintendo fan: "Aww.. well.. here, take my money."
Third-party: "Thanks a bunch. Buh-bye."
Third-party {to self}: "Lesson learned? They'll reward us with money for this behaviour. Good to know."
Nintendo fan: "Duhhhh.. why doesn't my Nintendo console get more ports?"
Me {observing}: "Good job, guys. Good job. Don't ever, like, connect the dots or anything.."

It didn't change before because Nintendo didn't really have the things you are mentioning. GC got ports, but had no network. Wii had neither. Wii U should have a competent network and hopefully hardware competent enough for future ports. If those two things are achieved, those buying Wii U for Nintendo games may not necessarily have to do the latter for 3rd party games. If there's anything that's certain it's that if you give people enough reason to convert to something, they well.

Maybe for you personally, it had enough ports. But Grand Theft Auto, Burnout 3, & mgs2 made it impossible for me to stick with gc alone.

I love stories like this, haha.. the reality of the "kiddeh" issue is a gold mine for laughs, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm 33, and was probably of average age for my Wii preorder line. And from talking to these folks in line, they weren't there for their kids.

You (and others) can tell me this all you want, but I honestly don't feel like I've suffered. My gaming diet feels robust. But then again, my needs, tastes, and free time are different from others'.

That, and I flatly refuse to be a part of the third-party problem.

Nintendo fan: "I want good third-party ports! Y'hear me, companies?"
Third-party: "Nope. We could do it, but it's going to the other consoles instead."
Nintendo fan: "Aww.. well.. here, take my money."
Third-party: "Thanks a bunch. Buh-bye."
Third-party {to self}: "Lesson learned? They'll reward us with money for this behaviour. Good to know."
Nintendo fan: "Duhhhh.. why doesn't my Nintendo console get more ports?"
Me {observing}: "Good job, guys. Good job. Don't ever, like, connect the dots or anything.."
the reason we want them so bad is because there are some effin GLORIOUS 3rd party games man. Glorious.

Also as far as feeling in touch with the "gamers", yeah most here will know that. Just play what's fun. I won't ever forget the (actually well known among my friends) old salesman smiling and winking at me when i picked up a kirby game some years back. My beard is older than the people trying to tell me "it's da kiddeh!", who cares

Reminds me of when I was in college and Pokemon had come out and was becoming real popular in the US. I still remember it being cold and I had this thick coat on. I got Pokemon Red and a strategy guide at a Wal-Mart before it moved to a Supercenter location. After checking out in the electronics department the lady handed me my bag and in a sarcastic tone said something like, "Here's your Pokemon book." I had a Scooby-Doo "what" moment and continued happily out the door. How dare that woman mock my purchase?
509.gif

Maybe for you personally, it had enough ports. But Grand Theft Auto, Burnout 3, & mgs2 made it impossible for me to stick with gc alone.

I didn't say it got all of them. I just said it got ports. And I haven't gotten a new console since N64 so I don't know what I missed out on.

HylianTom

Banned
the reason we want them so bad is because there are some effin GLORIOUS 3rd party games man. Glorious.

I'm sure they're great (I play over at my brother-in-law's house from time to time.. I have one heckuva Red Dead game going-on right now), but I'm not rewarding third parties with my money for their cheesy bullshit excuses.

This is why I buy most 3rd party games on PC.

I like your "unsustainable twins" moniker btw.
Thanks.. hehe.. this next generation should bring some more interesting events in that area..

Reminds me of when I was in college and Pokemon had come out and was becoming real popular in the US. I still remember it being cold and I had this thick coat on. I got Pokemon Red and a strategy guide at a Wal-Mart before it moved to a Supercenter location. After checking out in the electronics department the lady handed me my bag and in a sarcastic tone said something like, "Here's your Pokemon book." I had a Scooby-Doo "what" moment and continued happily out the door. How dare that woman mock my purchase?
509.gif

I didn't say it got all of them. I just said it got ports. And I haven't gotten a new console since N64 so I don't know what I missed out on.

Wow. Are you primarily a PC gamer? I figured you would have atleast a wii since you post alot in these threads.

Shurayuki

Man, I just had a re-watch of the e3 2011 unveiling and it all looks so exciting and fun. All this graphics talk has really put the board in a bad state lately. I stand by the Nintendo philosophy and forward interesting and fun gameplay techniques over shallow shiny graphics. I wish people would open their minds a little bit more. It reminds me of my parents talking about modern art being crap simply because it isn't a Caravaggio. Or equally the argument between the tradition of the salon and avant garde Impressionism.

Art seems like a good thing to bring up there (although analogies always go awry on GAF, but let me have a knack sorry). Just like Iwata brought up in that speech that was linked way back in this thread, we're so lost in the race for Mimesis/photorealistic that there doesn't seem to be a place -or at least desire- for fantasy. How boring woukld it be if paintings consisted only of still lifes and portraits, there has to be some out-of-bounds thinking.
Like, the new Lara Croft design is very nice, and getting rid of the sexism certainly goes a long way, but did we need to drop the 'videogame'-look? I thought it was a bit sad that clearly videogame character turned into some semi-human.

Don't forget to design the Mario's, Sonic's and Rockman's devs, please!

509.gif

Heh yes, there are so many baffling accounts on GAF about customers getting mocked and salespeople who try to push their console affinity on customers, it's amazing (in a bad way).
But really, reading this stuff is more fun than bashing our heads in, let's grampasimpson at these stuck-up people instead, thanks guys! ♪

Shurayuki

Crazy isn't it? And nope not even able to qualify as being a PC gamer as of now. Lot's of sacrifices were made when I got my own apartment and "true" gaming was one of them.

Complaining about games on message boards is more fun either way!

*looks at mostly unplayed 200 steam games*

AzaK

Crazy isn't it? And nope not even able to qualify as being a PC gamer as of now. Lot's of sacrifices were made when I got my own apartment and "true" gaming was one of them.

Shit. So it's Facebook nowadays huh?!

We need to start a fund to get BG a Wii U .

HylianTom

Banned

I see lots of folks talking about going with a PC+Wii U combo, and I see it as a great combo. You get the best of console gaming and the best of upper-end gaming. Purity on both ends.

Come on, you're better than that. We should be aiming at Metroid Prime: Revengeance.

Creepy.

Anyway, I liked Other M. And with dual analog support and a a better story, the game would be amazing.

Are we talking Metroid: Other M 2 , Prime 4, or something different ?

Yes.
I honestly don't care. Other M 2 would be just fine with me. A new Prime game would be amazing, of course.
Then we have the spin off staring Anthony Higgs.

Creepy.

Anyway, I liked Other M. And with dual analog support and a a better story, the game would be amazing.
I hope the first metroid game in HD is something more like the first metroid prime. Mysterious, magical, beautiful, exploring that terrain for the first time was poetic.

Other M shmother M.

Roo

Creepy.

Creepy?
I'd say necessary
Anyway.. did you see the new Aliens Colonial Marine footage?
I'd kill for a Metroid game with that atmosphere :(

guek

Banned
Is there a thread for that joystiq article?

Should there be? Or will the first 10 pages just be people saying dumb shit like "nintendard defense force at work"

Shit. So it's Facebook nowadays huh?!

We need to start a fund to get BG a Wii U .

*doesn't have a Facebook account* ^_^

I see lots of folks talking about going with a PC+Wii U combo, and I see it as a great combo. You get the best of console gaming and the best of upper-end gaming. Purity on both ends.

Yep. When it comes to having "moar powah" I'd rather be the one to control that aspect.

you just lost all credibility brahh, gonna have to earn that back.

UUUuuuuuuuuhhhhh... I'll figure something out.

AzaK

I gave up PC gaming because I got sick of sitting in front of a computer in my office (I spend all day programming the bastards) so for me it's console only baby and hopefully only one of em!

abasm

I'm beginning to get the sense that Wii U will either cinch the next console generation or be another Gamecube, depending upon how Nintendo's fortune falls during the time between the Wii U's release and the release of Sony/Microsoft's upcoming systems.

Consider for a moment that the Wii U is of comparable strength to current HD systems. Just as good, if not a bit better. (Given what we know (which is not a lot) this is a fairly heady assumption, but bear with me.) Unlike the Wii, which released well after the Xbox 360's lead on the market, the Wii U will presumably have a year of time in which it can pull in multi-platform third-party titles at no loss to visual/gameplay quality. During this time, if the Wii U can secure a wide install base, (which could really only be achieved by an amazing first-party line-up) then it could effectively "lower the bar" for the next generation, being the lead platform for games that would premiere on the next set of consoles. If the Wii U can't achieve a sizable enough lead to warrant this, then third-parties will leapfrog the Wii U, accomplish things that won't be possible on its aged hardware, and the Wii U will be plunged into the same situation as the Wii is in now.

...except not quite. The Wii lit a fire with motion-control that has largely smoldered. The Wii U, by comparison, seems to be playing catch-up with the iPad as a life-style device, a role in which tablets and smartphones are firmly entrenched. If the Wii U can't build enough momentum in its first year to carry it through the next generation, then the console will spend its life flickering in and out of relevance with each notable first-party release. Nintendo has demonstrated that it can get by well-enough on this approach--the Wii U (unlike the 3DS) will probably be profitable day one, and Nintendo's pockets are amazingly deep. It just isn't ideal.

None of this matters too much--Nintendo will release great games regardless of how well they do in the market, and in turn, they will survive on those games. I know I'll buy a Wii U eventually, regardless of how well/poorly it sells. Its success will only determine whether or not I'll need to buy another console besides.

no, I'm talking about this story: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/04/ge...bridge-to-the/

where a gearbox rep calls the system powerful and states its a nice bridge between this generation and the next
don't think there was a thread for that one, I also like how he basically confirms (as if we didn't know) that nintendo doesn't want anyone discussing the consoles power at all in any specific way. They must have something to showwwww.

Pointless though for a thread. Same people saying the same stuff all the time, meh.

I say third person gameplay would be awesome mixed with Metroid Prime's first person gameplay. When you want to pull some acrobatics and hand to arm cannon combat, you switch over to third.

Creepy?
I'd say necessary
Anyway.. did you see the new Aliens Colonial Marine footage?
I'd kill for a Metroid game with that atmosphere :(

I meant it was creepy that you both almost came up with the same title.
:p

And yeah, that game looks good (though, a bit shallow). I have faith in whatever Retro makes to easily beat that, though.

lednerg

no, I'm talking about this story: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/04/gearbox-boss-says-impressive-wii-u-a-really-nice-bridge-to-the/

where a gearbox rep calls the system powerful and states its a nice bridge between this generation and the next

I think we've had enough those threads. No matter what the articles say, they just turn into an excuse for people to sling shit at each other. It's quite tiresome. Plus it just draws the same old knuckleheads back into here.

Christine

Other M could have been good if the level design hadn't been hijacked by a grade J direct-to-video cinema.

I'm not having any part in another one, so I'd obviously prefer it was something else. Doesn't need to be Prime 4, though.

HylianTom

Banned
Heh yes, there are so many baffling accounts on GAF about customers getting mocked and salespeople who try to push their console affinity on customers, it's amazing (in a bad way).
But really, reading this stuff is more fun than bashing our heads in, let's grampasimpson at these stuck-up people instead, thanks guys! ♪

Back at my old GameStop in Austin, a buddy and I went in one day to pre-order Chibi Robo (because you know it was absolutely necessary to do so for that title.. hehe..). There was a rather good-looking woman working the counter that day, and a few youngsters hanging around after school; I'd guess that they were maybe in 8th or 9th grade maybe?

They overheard us preordering, and one asked what the game was about. She showed them the cover-art and they immediately balked, remarking about how it looked really "childish" (I remember giving them partial credit in my mind for not using the k-word).

We plunked-down our money and before we left she passed a casual remark about how "you Nintendo men" are so much more "easier." I'm still 90% certain that they heard her remark (and that she intended for it to be heard), as I could see one of them smirking a few feet away.

My buddy and I later on debated about what she meant by "easier," but her tone while saying it was definitely one of flattery. Still not 100% sure, haha..

I miss that GameStop. That I was able to go in there without annoyance of attitude was quite nice - something I took for granted.

I think we've had enough those threads. No matter what the articles say, they just turn into an excuse for people to sling shit at each other. It's quite tiresome. Plus it just draws the same old knuckleheads back into here.
I agree 110%. Plus, I don't want to see any more of us driven to account suicide. Damn, that still sucks..

The controls worked for what they were but were ultimately a pain because of the 3rd-1st person transition and it limited what you could do.

Level design was great too, but I think the problem people have with it is that it wasnt Metroid level design.

The controls worked for what they were but were ultimately a pain because of the 3rd-1st person transition and it limited what you could do.

Level design was great too, but I think the problem people have with it is that it wasnt Metroid level design.

It both was and wasn't, though. It was certainly a different evolution of the classic designs.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The controls weren't bad, outside of the missile use (and charging sometimes).
And the level design was damn good.

The controls were manageable. But ultimately poor and cumbersome. You should not be using a cross pad to traverse a 3-dimensional world. And the transition to first-person scanning and rockets was horrid! The level design was a bit bland, and the ambience instead of music was a missed opportunity.

shnord

Neo Member
Someone here called Other M a diamond-filled turd a while ago. Those who didn't like the game focused too much on the turd. I had no problem looking past that and fishing out the diamonds.

Also I don't know why people so afraid of the turd can't seem to fathom that Nintendo could completely wash away the turd with a sequel. They're not stupid; they know what people didn't like about the first attempt.

I've said turd so many times now that the word seems weird to me now.

Turd.

*doesn't have a Facebook account* ^_^
*brofist*

AzaK

don't think there was a thread for that one, I also like how he basically confirms (as if we didn't know) that nintendo doesn't want anyone discussing the consoles power at all in any specific way. They must have something to showwwww.

Pointless though for a thread. Same people saying the same stuff all the time, meh.
A cynic would say "or something to hide" :)

Top Bottom