• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

That wouldn't shift systems. Worse, it would damage perception of Nintendo's commitment to their system and attitude towards consumers at a crucial early stage.
my wording makes it sound worse than what I actually mean. I actually mean a nsmb game, it's not hard to slap HD visuals on it, create all new levels, add some gimmick with the controller and call it a game. There really isn't much you can do with a high end hd machine to NSMB. I think people would love to break in their new console with something like that. Perfect introduction to playing on the tablet as well, since the game suits it. It beats some casual game that shows off the streaming capabilities and all that, nice good intro.

Leave the cool shit for the next 3D title.

disco

Personally, I think with the tablet there are huge opportunities for educational software. I'm talking for little kids up to a Brain Age style game. I think this may be one of the ways Nintendo attempt to capture the casual audience.

This is good! Nintendo should definitely take Brain Age to the Wii U.

If anything that's something fresh that you don't see on the AppStore. You might get adult learning games on the AppStore (sudoku/crosswords etc) but educative games for children could really really sell to lazy Westerners who can't be bothered looking after their children properly. This is a brilliant idea. !

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
my wording makes it sound worse than what I actually mean. I actually mean a nsmb game, it's not hard to slap HD visuals on it, create all new levels, add some gimmick with the controller and call it a game. There really isn't much you can do with a high end hd machine to NSMB. I think people would love to break in their new console with something like that. Perfect introduction to playing on the tablet as well, since the game suits it.

Leave the cool shit for the next 3D title.
Yeah, that would be good, but it would cannibalise sales if there's a new 2D Mario out on 3DS this year.
Save that for when the system needs a boost. Maybe next year when the HD Twin successors are launching.

Yeah, that would be good, but it would cannibalise sales if there's a new 2D Mario is out on 3DS this year.
Save that for when the system needs a boost. Maybe next year when the HD Twin successors are launching.
but like I keep saying, I just keep using mario as an example because I think it's the easiest one to do, it could be anything. Problem is I can't think of much else.

I'm all ears (eyes) though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think most people (not the gaming crowd, the folks who never played a videogame and bought the Wii) will see the controller and think, oh look they made an iPad.

I just hope it's super durable. My young kids will be dropping it all the time.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This is good! Nintendo should definitely take Brain Age to the Wii U.

Brain Age for the adults, but then something more kid friendly for young children. They should make a new character for these games that works as your tutor, but then incorporate Mario, Kirby, and Pokemon into the software in the "game" parts of it.

I immediately thought of educational software upon seeing the tablet because it reminded me of something like this.

vtech-v-smile-tv-learning-system-ni1-640.jpg

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
One extremely gimmicky use for the pad I can imagine in NSMB-U...

When you enter a Pipe, the action moves to the subscreen.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

Group splinters in two. Three players on top screen, one getting mad loot on the subscreen. When that player re-emerges (s)he can wait until the other players catch up to the pipe and then action moves back to the main screen.

EDIT: I just realized a horrible flaw in this idea. Only the tablet holder can enter pipes!

On another note, NSMB on Wii U had better have online play.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Personally, I think with the tablet there are huge opportunities for educational software. I'm talking for little kids up to a Brain Age style game. I think this may be one of the ways Nintendo attempt to capture the casual audience.

Brain-Age is a series aimed at adults. The sales in Japan especially were phenomenol and Nintendo is trying to recapture that group with a new advanced Brain-Age game. What you are referring to might be the "Big Brain Academy" series which was aimed at younger age groups. But the sales were about 1/4 in comparison. Thankfully the big brain academy team went back to making Pikmin games.

Brain Age for the adults, but then something more kid friendly for young children. They should make a new character for these games that works as your tutor, but then incorporate Mario, Kirby, and Pokemon into the software in the "game" parts of it.

I immediately thought of educational software upon seeing the tablet because it reminded me of something like this.

I think it is a very limited age group you are referring to. I mean what is that 3-5 year old demographic? Just not worth the attention of a serious developer. Let UBISoft develop baby games.

BD1

Banned

I'm hoping for a new multiplayer Mario Clash, where the pipes take you back and forth between the TV and the subscreen.

Can play with DRC and 3DS.

Linkhero1

They should also bring back Mario Paint. I'm sure kids will enjoy a painting game featuring Mario!

MDX

But Nintendo doesn't want to repeat the same mistakes they made at the 3DS launch.

The only mistake they made is that they didnt have a killer app at launch.
And many aspects of the 3DS were not available.

I do agree they need a killer app for launch. At least one. That makes sense for any console. But, it doesn't have to be Mario. It can be something completely different.
It doesnt even have to be their own title.

That said, I can foresee they will have one game that will show off the power of the console in 1080p. Because they will want to visually separate themselves from last gen.

But they also want to the broader market to also buy into the console. And that to me means a "Wii" title. Im predicting WUHU island, and online world, with dozens of mini-games.

I think MMO's will be the defining genre on the WiiU.

Snakeyes

Maybe in Japan, but Apple has a hold on the educational market everywhere else.

test_account

XP-39C²
I can't see them launching with a Wii___ game this time.
There's no need, either.
They need to build up the core base first, since they can get casuals in later.
I think that they will release "Wii Play 2" for it, being bundled with every system. I think that Nintendo will have emphasis on the TV/controller connection, and minigames that were shown at E3 last year is a good way to do this.

Linkhero1

The only mistake they made is that they didnt have a killer app at launch.
And many aspects of the 3DS were not available.

I do agree they need a killer app for launch. At least one. That makes sense for any console. But, it doesn't have to be Mario. It can be something completely different.
It doesnt even have to be their own title.

That said, I can foresee they will have one game that will show off the power of the console in 1080p. Because they will want to visually separate themselves from last gen.

But they also want to the broader market to also buy into the console. And that to me means a "Wii" title. Im predicting WUHU island, and online world, with dozens of mini-games.

I think MMO's will be the defining genre on the WiiU.

I have a strong feeling their killer app will be inline with Wii Sports. It will demonstrate the controllers functionality and be bundled with the Wii U, so casuals will flock. I also believe they will have something else that will demonstrate the power of the Wii U too. Maybe a Metroid launch title?

On another note remember when Metroid Prime 3 was scheduled as as a launch title for the Wii?

Hypothetical example of why Mario is needed at launch:

Soccer mom goes into Best Buy during launch. "Oh what's this Wii U system, that looks kind of interesting. Does it play Wii games?"

Sales guy: "It sure does and it has a tablet controller."

Soccer mom: "Oh well, I think I'll get my son an IPad instead and he can just keep his regular Wii which he still plays a lot, we all like that Wii Party too. But what 's this new Super Mario game, will that play on the old Wii?"

Sales guy: "No, that will only play on the new Wii U system."

Soccer mom: "Oh really? My son is going to want to play that for sure, how much is the Wii U system again?"

System sale gained. Other scenario with Pilmin 3 and no Mario is very likely another possible outcome.

I have a strong feeling their killer app will be inline with Wii Sports. It will demonstrate the controllers functionality and be bundled with the Wii U, so casuals will flock. I also believe they will have something else that will demonstrate the power of the Wii U too. Maybe a Metroid launch title?

On another note remember when Metroid Prime 3 was scheduled as as a launch title for the Wii?

Doubt it will be Metroid. But I do assume it will be something new that will appeal to the gaming enthusiast.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Soccer mom goes into Best Buy during launch. "Oh what's this Wii U system, that looks kind of interesting. Does it play Wii games?"

Soccer mom: "Oh well, I think I'll get my son an IPad instead and he can just keep his regular Wii which he still plays a lot, we all like that Wii Party too. But what 's this new Super Mario game, will that play on the old Wii?"

Soccer mom: "Oh really? My son is going to want to play that for sure, how much is the Wii U system again?"

System sale gained. Other scenario with Pilmin 3 and no Mario is very likely another possible outcome.

Agree.

Except, if it's Pikmin 3, her kid will most likely have never heard of the series and won't want it.

NeoGohan

Banned

Sales guy: "$599"

NeoRausch

Its a Nintendo console, it will be durable as hell.

I dropped a Gamecube once. Didnt have a scratch and still worked like a charm.

Nintendo consoles are usualy extremely durable!
They were up untill the gamecube (dat "dragged behind a truck"-video!)

but since then most HW had some flaws and quirks. I hope they get their quality back on track for wii u!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Also, new scenario based on personal experience:

Soccer mom goes into GAMESTOP during launch. "Oh what's this Wii U system, that looks kind of interesting. Does it play Wii games?"

Sales guy: "Yeah but it's crap. You're better off getting a 360 or PS3."

Soccer mom: "But what 's this new Super Mario game, will that play on the 360/PS3?"

Sales guy: "It might in the near future!"

Soccer mom: "Take my money!"

I think that they will release "Wii Play 2" for it, being bundled with every system. I think that Nintendo will have emphasis on the TV/controller connection, and minigames that were shown at E3 last year is a good way to do this.
They'll have mini experiences in the system itself, like with the 3DS but they won't bundle a full game with it at launch.
As good as Wii Sports did to grab an audience, it also set a damaging tone for the systems life.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Didn't they show off an E3 "game" about measuring the length of things?

test_account

XP-39C²
They'll have mini experiences in the system itself, like with the 3DS but they won't bundle a full game with it at launch.
As good as Wii Sports did to grab an audience, it also set a damaging tone for the systems life.
Yeah, it is possible that there might be a few minigames built in to the OS instead.

Lol :) Makes new meaning to "my body is ready". "Here we can messure the length of things. Reggie: my body is ready".

That round-up article is pretty good!!

Lady Gaga: The Experience
What to believe: It would be safe to assume this to be fact, why would anyone bother to make this up?
lol

but really, despite coming from Nintendo'enthusiastic' it doesn't fall off the click? UE4? cost won't let it; 1080P with tablet on? Not likely.

axisofweevils

Yeah, it is possible that there might be a few minigames built in to the OS instead.

The thing is, the fact that the 3DS came with all those games built in, didn't count as Real Games in the eyes of the masses.

A pack in game will make the Wii U seem more valuable.

They were up untill the gamecube (dat "dragged behind a truck"-video!)

but since then most HW had some flaws and quirks. I hope they get their quality back on track for wii u!

The 3DS has the screen issue with the smudges, but others than that i dont know of any. Even the Wii is extremely well built.

lenovox1

Wii Sports wasn't damaging; it just seems like no one wanted to make good games for that audience. And Nintendo had the games for the core audience in the beginning. In the US, it was more of a marketing "issue" than a content one (well, actually both really). Though, when Cammie Dunaway and the Pizza Man are in charge of your messaging, that's just what happens.

NeoRausch

The 3DS has the screen issue with the smudges, but others than that i dont know of any. Even the Wii is extremely well built.
First set of wii burned their chips themself and had faulty lasers/drives.
ds lite, dsi could crack AT THE HINGE. The L + R buttons were utter shit ( and it looks like they still are on 3DS).
3DS has the line, sometimes wobbly top screen.

that's not the nintendo quality that i used to know.

The only thing Wii-wise I can thnk of is heat death for some graphics units. But I've heard very little on that topic.

This is what you get for putting it in an enclosed space. Even the Wii needs SOME fresh air ;)

We are talking about demo units inm stores here, are we?

HylianTom

Banned
Wii Sports wasn't damaging; it just seems like no one wanted to make good games for that audience. And Nintendo had the games for the core audience in the beginning. In the US, it was more of a marketing "issue" than a content one (well, actually both really). Though, when Cammie Dunaway and the Pizza Man are in charge of your messaging, that's just what happens.

I'm very interested in seeing how Nintendo does its marketing this time around, especially with them claiming a renewed focus on the hardcore audience. The hardcore are like small children with jealousy issues; if Nintendo spends too much time and attention on the casuals, the hardcores seem to take it very personally.

Finding that delicate balance is going to be very, very difficult.

First set of wii burned their chips themself and had faulty lasers/drives.

I belive those were demo units in an enclosed space. So no one would steal the Wiis. Never heard or experienced the laser problem though.

ds lite, dsi could crack AT THE HINGE. The L + R buttons were utter shit ( and it looks like they still are on 3DS).

As far as i remember, those cracks were production issues with the plastic casing. The mechanism was working flawlessly.

L&R Buttons are ok. Sure, nothing to write home about but i dont see them as an "issue"

3DS has the line, sometimes wobbly top screen.

Again, havent heard of it nor experienced it!

that's not the nintendo quality that i used to know.

The more high end the tech, the higher the risk of failure. Best example: RROD

Top Bottom